Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ColoradoCleric posted:

I wonder what Greece would have had to do to rack up so much debt where this even becomes an issue.

Join the Euro, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ColoradoCleric posted:

I wonder what Greece would have had to do to rack up so much debt where this even becomes an issue.

This isn't an actual response to the point that austerity is a bad policy.

The answer to this post is that it requires corrupt politicians willing to assist companies in evading taxes, joining a half-baked currency union, brain drain due to said union, and bankers willing to write absurd loans dye to a lack of banking regulations.

All that will manage 154% debt to GDP. After a decade plus of this. Alongside a huge recession. From there, you inplement absurd policies in the name of economic bellyfeels which cause unemployment to soar, intellectuals to flee the state, government initiatives to decay, and erode workers rights. This skyrockets the sebt-to-GDP to 175% in the span of a couple of years, but on the plus side it provides the wealthy a nice going-away gift before they leave for the next tax haven.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

ColoradoCleric posted:

Ah yes, I completely forgot about the sound economic concept of original sin.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
Surely the claim isn't that economic stimulus always works, but just that it usually works?
Why can't contextual features of an economy make it a money pit?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So greece is making their payments now because borrowees are lending them money to pay the borrowers while cutting the economy even further.

Is a Grexit a reality at this point just delayed by forced bailouts?

• Locked thread