Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
https://youtu.be/B6vV8_uQmxs

Another lecture on the topic because the first by Mark Blyth, linked earlier in the thread was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Blowdryer posted:

Another lecture on the topic because the first by Mark Blyth, linked earlier in the thread was good.

Watching this right now and it reminds me that arguing about all of this poo poo is bullshit, because almost all of us are arguing the wrong thing, or things that don't matter.
Just lol at people thinking this is about economies giving people free money.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Pohl posted:

I'm willing to fully admit my take on Austerity is complicated. I think that simple definitions of austerity actually excuse it or defend it, much like fascism. It is a complicated issue and you can't just break it down into something like a 3 part definition; sorry if that doesn't satisfy you.
Here is my take on it:

I'm going to link a paper that talks about austerity being, at it's core, the cut of state spending.
This is the big thing with austerity. Something we can all certainly agree on, I would guess.
Cutting state spending when state spending is too high, is a good thing? RIght? Also, how much is too much?
But what are we talking about exactly? That is the important question.

That is a simplistic and simple idea that is, well, rather dumb. That may be the ideal goal of austerity, but does that by definition even loving work? Hell, the point is, are the ideas included in austerity even loving civilized?

Here is the paper I was referencing, IAMNOTADOCTOR. Maybe that will help you understand why I can't just give you a few defining features of what Austerity is.

http://www.gbz.hu-berlin.de/downloads/pdf/hugh-mackay-sociological-perspectives-on.pdf

Some highlights:

gently caress it, I'm going to just link it and hope you read it, because I have to format everything I post: http://www.gbz.hu-berlin.de/downloads/pdf/hugh-mackay-sociological-perspectives-on.pdf

When we say austerity, I think we all know what we are talking about, and getting bogged down in the minutiae of definition at this point is counterproductive. Iceland was an example of the public rebelling against austerity, while Kansas, as a state the very definition of austerity. We should be able to agree on those things, if we can't, then there is no discussion to be had.

I wanted to highlight this post^^^.

Also goddamnit, Iceland did not do austerity, stop saying it did.
And why are we cutting spending when spending is fine? Why are we doing that? Because business will increase and income will increase in that vacuum?? Austerity is loving bullshit.

Austerity is simple.

You've gone off the rails trying to remake the definition to suit your own argument.

Recognize what austerity is and then argue for why it won't work in this case. It's a much straighter path to the same place you're trying to go.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Blowdryer posted:

Its too bad I've already seen all his stuff. His presentation is superb.

Skip to the good stuff

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
When arguing with Asdf, keep in mind that he's one of the more vocal opponents in the minwage increase thread, and shape your arguments accordingly. An argument using math or empirical results will not persuade.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Neurolimal posted:

When arguing with Asdf, keep in mind that he's one of the more vocal opponents in the minwage increase thread, and shape your arguments accordingly. An argument using math or empirical results will not persuade.
That's slightly incorrect. He's basically a contrarian who is always willing to espouse whichever position goes against the consensus - especially if it's a Very Serious Person position (e.g. smash the unions, eat the poor) which offends the delicate sensibilities of his interlocutors. I assume that he does this to disrupt groupthink and thereby encourage forum posters to do their homework, think for themselves, examine countervailing evidence, etc...

In theory, this could be a valuable public service. In practice, he tends to latch onto minor points (e.g. sticking with the Econ101 idea that "austerity measures can be used to balance the budget," in the context of a Eurozone discussion, even after admitting that it's inapplicable to a sovereign debt crisis and that fiscal multipliers would make the debt spiral out of control). And he tends to champion a very narrow portion of the "opposing" viewpoint - he'll argue the merits of austerity, but he's not actually an Austerian and he doesn't believe that it's an appropriate response to the current crisis. Because people are lazy, they tend to read his (narrow) arguments, assign him into a category (e.g. Chicago school neoliberal marketeer) and then start an argument full of misunderstandings which goes nowhere.

This wouldn't be a problem if Asdf32 would actually take pains to correct the misunderstandings and explain his contrarian position. But instead he just reiterates his premises (e.g. "austerity means decreasing the deficit"), sits astride his I'm-technically-correct-which-is-the-best-kind-of-correct high horse, and watches the thread get derailed.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Pohl posted:

Raising taxes in Iceland on the wealthy was their way to fight austerity.

I don't think you get anywhere with understanding what's going on until you analyse austerity not as a thing, but as a style of argument, a rhetorical move.

First thing to do is to scope it; work out where and when it is used.

It's actually not about elites stealing money in general; the real open kleptocracies, e.g. in the middle east, have no need of austerity, unless you count not plating your mile-high tower with platinum as austere. It only really comes up in post-Thatcher democracies where the class interests of an electoral plurality have been deliberately socially engineered to mirror those of the rich.

Given that environment, any time you can frame a discussion as 'we will either spend money, or these people will suffer', then you have basically already won.
All you need to do is a little mop up work to show that some of the people getting the money will be undeserving (which no doubt some will be) and class interest will do the rest. The famous quote is 'It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it'. These days it is not about the salary, but house prices, individualized pension funds and income tax. Put together they may not actually be larger than wages, but they are more volatile, more directly driven by political decisions.

The bonus point of this argument is that it is so powerful that you _don't need to restrict it to cases where it in any way logically applies_. It's a cluster-bomb of an argument; you just need to lob it in the general direction of the point and there's no come-back.

Which is precisely why it can be used successfully to, among other things, privatize everything and have your friends pocket the money. In fact, the more economic damage you do that way, the stronger the argument becomes; bad economic times make people prioritize money over morality more.

Worse than that, the argument comes up even if you don't even want it to. As a politician or technocrat, you may perfectly understand that some measure is the equivalent of fighting obesity in the USA by cutting grain shipments to Africa. But you can't oppose it or you would be defeated and replaced by someone with fewer scruples...

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

GulMadred posted:

This wouldn't be a problem if Asdf32 would actually take pains to correct the misunderstandings and explain his contrarian position. But instead he just reiterates his premises (e.g. "austerity means decreasing the deficit"), sits astride his I'm-technically-correct-which-is-the-best-kind-of-correct high horse, and watches the thread get derailed.

I think the problem is more that posters in this forum get upset whenever they encounter someone who doesn't toe the DnD party line. I don't think they understand that someone can disagree with parts of their their political ideology without being an evil mustached villian who holds all beliefs that are contrary to the stereotypical progressive DnD poster.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

silence_kit posted:

I think the problem is more that posters in this forum get upset whenever they encounter someone who doesn't toe the DnD party line. I don't think they understand that someone can disagree with parts of their their political ideology without being an evil mustached villian who holds all beliefs that are contrary to the stereotypical progressive DnD poster.

shitsapostersbelieve.txt

People have patiently debated with the dude for like, a hundred pages, he's either rock-solid dense or
a deep cover troll created to prevent megathread circlejerks.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

GulMadred posted:

That's slightly incorrect. He's basically a contrarian who is always willing to espouse whichever position goes against the consensus - especially if it's a Very Serious Person position (e.g. smash the unions, eat the poor) which offends the delicate sensibilities of his interlocutors. I assume that he does this to disrupt groupthink and thereby encourage forum posters to do their homework, think for themselves, examine countervailing evidence, etc...

In theory, this could be a valuable public service. In practice, he tends to latch onto minor points (e.g. sticking with the Econ101 idea that "austerity measures can be used to balance the budget," in the context of a Eurozone discussion, even after admitting that it's inapplicable to a sovereign debt crisis and that fiscal multipliers would make the debt spiral out of control). And he tends to champion a very narrow portion of the "opposing" viewpoint - he'll argue the merits of austerity, but he's not actually an Austerian and he doesn't believe that it's an appropriate response to the current crisis. Because people are lazy, they tend to read his (narrow) arguments, assign him into a category (e.g. Chicago school neoliberal marketeer) and then start an argument full of misunderstandings which goes nowhere.

This would be an accurate summary of him if it wasn't for the fact that he always says some dumb poo poo you can easily debunk, gets smacked down, then moves on to a second, even stupider point, and then a third. After about three pages he then posts the first one again as if he was saying something original that hadn't been responded to already.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

asdf32 posted:

Friendly reminder: austerity means decreasing the deficit. For those who still don't get it but post in this thread.

This definition is so overly simplistic and context-blind as to be worse than useless. It's like you showed up in a thread about racism in the American south and posted "by definition, friend of the family just means ignorant person. :smug: "

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It especially doesn't make sense because you can decrease the deficit by raising taxes or waiting for the economy to grow, which are independent of spending.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Trent posted:

This definition is so overly simplistic and context-blind as to be worse than useless. It's like you showed up in a thread about racism in the American south and posted "by definition, friend of the family just means ignorant person. :smug: "

Actually that's part of my point. The definition of austerity is broad enough that it doesn't necesarily include context. The definition of a knife doesn't tell you how it's used. Whether a knife or hammer is used for good or bad is a seperate question.

Here people are trying to pretend the definition of austerity is the equivalent of "murderous weapon" to make their arguments easier when it's actually a fairly routine policy that sometimes works fine.

OwlFancier posted:

It especially doesn't make sense because you can decrease the deficit by raising taxes or waiting for the economy to grow, which are independent of spending.

Well correct but the context of that graph (spanning the recent recession) was primarily a combination of budget cuts and revenue increases, not growth. Which is consistent with the Krugman definition posted earlier.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If your definition of austerity includes both proverbial knives and potatoes then it's a bit of a bad definition.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Austerity is stupid and the people advocating it are outright evil.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Can we invade the banks and make them pay off their own loans?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Raising taxes on the rich during a recession is also a form of austerity.

Are you guys gonna oppose that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

Raising taxes on the rich during a recession is also a form of austerity.

Are you guys gonna oppose that?

Not sure how that has anything to do with austerity, given that it's sort of the complete opposite of what the people championing austerity are doing.

If "cut public spending, sell off public assets, and cut taxes for the wealthy in the name of reducing the deficit (which hasn't been a problem up to now)" and "raise taxes on the wealthy to increase public spending, borrow as necessary to invest in things which grow the economy and inflate GDP as a portion of debt to reduce the relative size of the deficit and also spend a bunch of money in good places" are both "forms of austerity" then austerity is completely meaningless.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 21, 2015

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure how that has anything to do with austerity, given that it's sort of the complete opposite of what the people championing austerity are doing.

Austerity is by definition raising taxes without increasing spending, or cutting spending without also cutting taxes.

Raising taxes on the wealthy without a corresponding raise in government spending is austerity.

I'm simply wondering if you guys are against austerity in all its forms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

Austerity is by definition raising taxes without increasing spending, or cutting spending without also cutting taxes.

Raising taxes on the wealthy without a corresponding raise in government spending is austerity.

I'm simply wondering if you guys are against austerity in all its forms.

Raising taxes without increasing spending seems kind of pointless but it's better than cutting spending I guess?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

Raising taxes without increasing spending seems kind of pointless but it's better than cutting spending I guess?

It's not if you plan on reducing the deficit or if you plan on servicing or reducing the debt

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

It's not if you plan on reducing the deficit or if you plan on servicing or reducing the debt

Is that very necessary?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

Is that very necessary?

If you are greece then yes it probably is

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

If you are greece then yes it probably is

It doesn't seem to be doing them very much good so far.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

It doesn't seem to be doing them very much good so far.

So let me get your position straight.

If a country is running a serious, unsustainable deficit like Greece was during the 2000s, you would be opposed to increasing taxes on the wealthy to reduce said deficit and instead keep borrowing from international creditors like Germany to finance the gap between consumption and taxation.

False Flag Rape
Aug 22, 2013

by Lowtax
Greeks aren't lazy, they most definitely aren't lazy but they have a way of being really busy without much getting done.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

So let me get your position straight.

If a country is running a serious, unsustainable deficit like Greece was during the 2000s, you would be opposed to increasing taxes on the wealthy to reduce said deficit and instead keep borrowing from international creditors like Germany to finance the gap between consumption and taxation. When pretty much everybody agrees one of the major reasons for the current crisis is the fact that the Greek elite is very good at dodging taxes.

I would suggest that "raise the tax rate on the wealthy" would make bugger all difference to Greece's debt problem.

If we grant that Greece has a tax evasion problem, as well as potentially that its economy has been hit particularly hard by the recession (as I assume that the wealthy Greek citizens didn't suddenly develop magical tax evasion powers overnight) then what is presumably needed is rather large reforms in how tax is collected, as well as finding a new economic basis for the country if its current one hasn't been able to recover.

Both of those seem like relatively expensive things which you would probably need to borrow money to fund, especially as they would both take time to implement. So reducing borrowing and just saying "we want more taxes" doesn't seem practical, as people would continue to not pay tax in the interim while public services collapse and take more of the economy with them.

The necessary thing would seem to be a sizeable capital investment in social, legislative, and economic reforms, combined with a lenient repayment plan and a maintenance of funding to services and welfare in the meantime to cover the inevitable fallout of an economic restructuring, as people will probably need retraining and to find new work.

Or you could just poo poo all over the country by offering repeated bailouts with increasingly draconian repayment plans with the end goal of loving everything up so the country falls to bits and you repossess it on the cheap, that works too I guess.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest that "raise the tax rate on the wealthy" would make bugger all difference to Greece's debt problem.

If we grant that Greece has a tax evasion problem, as well as potentially that its economy has been hit particularly hard by the recession (as I assume that the wealthy Greek citizens didn't suddenly develop magical tax evasion powers overnight) then what is presumably needed is rather large reforms in how tax is collected, as well as finding a new economic basis for the country if its current one hasn't been able to recover.

Both of those seem like relatively expensive things which you would probably need to borrow money to fund, especially as they would both take time to implement. So reducing borrowing and just saying "we want more taxes" doesn't seem practical, as people would continue to not pay tax in the interim while public services collapse and take more of the economy with them.

The necessary thing would seem to be a sizeable capital investment in social, legislative, and economic reforms, combined with a lenient repayment plan and a maintenance of funding to services and welfare in the meantime to cover the inevitable fallout of an economic restructuring, as people will probably need retraining and to find new work.

Or you could just poo poo all over the country by offering repeated bailouts with increasingly draconian repayment plans with the end goal of loving everything up so the country falls to bits and you repossess it on the cheap, that works too I guess.

I got a feeling if I simply called it a "wealth redistribution program" instead of "austerity" a few posts ago you'd be all for it right now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Typo posted:

I got a feeling if I simply called it a "wealth redistribution program" instead of "austerity" a few posts ago you'd be all for it right now.

You're not really redistributing wealth if you just raise taxes and then give the revenue to bankers. If you suggested raising taxes and spending extra on infrastructure and reforms to secure the long term prosperity of the working classes then yes, but I don't think that really merits the title of austerity.

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
Raising taxes on the wealthy is not austerity, they will just find ways to invest their money elsewhere through loopholes and political corruption

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Typo posted:

Austerity, in the context we're discussing, involves attempting to close the deficit primarily by reducing government spending. The whole implication of the world 'austere' is doing without something, which isn't applicable if you aren't giving anything up.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Melted_Igloo posted:

Raising taxes on the wealthy is not austerity, they will just find ways to invest their money elsewhere through loopholes and political corruption

The thread is now supporting laffer.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Voyager I posted:

Austerity, in the context we're discussing, involves attempting to close the deficit primarily by reducing government spending. The whole implication of the world 'austere' is doing without something, which isn't applicable if you aren't giving anything up.

Somebody is giving something up, in this case the rich now have to pay more taxes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

asdf32 posted:

The thread is now supporting laffer.

100% taxation is counterproductive, therefore a napkin parabola is correct.

Typo posted:

Somebody is giving something up, in this case the rich now have to pay more taxes

Diddums.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Typo posted:

By this definition, shifting towards a Scandinavian welfare state could be considered Austerity so long as the additional taxes on the wealthy outweighed the increased benefits to the poor.

If we're going to define the term so broadly that it includes literally any measures that result in a net decrease in the budget deficit then the term is essentially meaningless since it now includes a huge scope of policies and values that are often explicitly contradictory towards each other.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

By this definition, shifting towards a Scandinavian welfare state could be considered Austerity so long as the additional taxes on the wealthy outweighed the increased benefits to the poor.

If we're going to define the term so broadly that it includes literally any measures that result in a net decrease in the budget deficit then the term is essentially meaningless since it now includes a huge scope of policies and values that are often explicitly contradictory towards each other.

I continue to propose that the thread use the actual definition of the word austerity while discussing austerity.

wikipedia posted:

In economics, austerity is a set of policies with the aim of reducing government budget deficits. Austerity policies may include spending cuts, tax increases, or a mixture of both.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Voyager I posted:

But that's literally what it means.

Running a fiscal deficit also involve a huge scope of policies and values that are often explicitly contradictory towards each other.

I get it that austerity is a trigger word on D&D, but the OP asked what austerity is and this is an answer.

You could oppose the current implementation of austerity too and that's valid.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It doesn't matter what the dictionary definition is because you know that's not what people are talking about so shut the gently caress up about the dictionary.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Nevvy Z posted:

It doesn't matter what the dictionary definition is because you know that's not what people are talking about so shut the gently caress up about the dictionary.

In the exact same sense the right "knows" that fiscal deficit means giving welfare money to poor undeserving people.

Sorry that words don't mean what you hope they mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Typo posted:

But that's literally what it means.

Running a fiscal deficit also involve a huge scope of policies and values that are often explicitly contradictory towards each other.

I get it that austerity is a trigger word on D&D, but the OP asked what austerity is and this is an answer.

You could oppose the current implementation of austerity too and that's valid.

Oh boy, are we at the stage where we all post definitions to suit our fancy?

quote:

A state of reduced spending and increased frugality in the financial sector. Austerity measures generally refer to the measures taken by governments to reduce expenditures in an attempt to shrink their growing budget deficits.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/austerity.asp

quote:

Difficult economic conditions created by government measures to reduce a budget deficit, especially by reducing public expenditure:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/austerity

quote:

an economic policy by which a government reduces the amount of money it spends by a large amount

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/austerity

All those definitions are as good as the "financial times lexicon" definition sourced by Wikipedia. But I'm sure when the OP was asking about austerity he was wondering why massive tax increases on the wealthy in Greece haven't worked, right? After all, the line of questions he asked as follow up directly includes:

quote:

could austeriry work if they cut some spending but left other spending unchanged or larger

It's pretty ironic for you to say "Sorry that words don't mean what you hope they mean." though. Maybe "ironic" isn't the right word, let me grab a dictionary and find a better one:

quote:

"(typically of a man or his behavior) obnoxious or contemptible."

Ahh there we go. It's pretty douchey for you to say that.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 22, 2015

• Locked thread