Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
I remember some rumor from a year ago that Ultron and Ant-Man would be closely related and that the climax to Ultron would retroactively be explained in Ant-Man via Pym time-travelling or something and helping them defeat Ultron secretly, after the fact. I remembered it when I thought "they should just have Wasp still be alive and going around secretly manipulating events from a micro-scale."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zenintrude posted:

I agree, it's a really funny visual storytelling device... especially when Drunk History did it seven years ago.

Nothing in this movie goes beyond watching the trailer (which ruins the only great scene involving the suit) and a few episodes of DH.

Oh no, the general form of one of the types of jokes they did in those scenes had been done before.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm almost certain the storytelling joke is older than Drunk History.

But, a joke doesn't necessarily need to be new to be well executed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If they do anything with the Mandarin now it's going to cheapen Iron Man 3 and the character in general. "Fu Manchu Wizard guy" is really not that interesting and they can't really do it on TV since that lady from Daredevil fills that quota.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Sir Kodiak posted:

Oh no, the general form of one of the types of jokes they did in those scenes had been done before.

Simpsons did it!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

I think part of the issue is that the Avengers in the comics didn't have the greatest villains. I think Spiderman had most of the interesting ones, and Fantastic 4 also had some great ones (which the movies somehow keep screwing up)

My memory of comic books comes entirely from the late 80s era, where The Avengers was essentially the WWF, a whole lot of talking and soap opera poo poo and then like maybe an alien shows up for a page.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Point is, it's tired and played out... like the whole MCU style.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I don't know what Drunk History is so it was pretty funny to me. Weird to suggest some types of humor aren't allowed if some internet video also did it in the last 8 years.

For AntMan 2 he should accidentally make his daughter grow to be 10 stories tall and she stomps all over Vegas until he can deliver her ugly stuffed doll to pacify her.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

zenintrude posted:

I don't like something != Tired and played out

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dexo posted:

I bet more studios wish they could be tired and played out by getting out movies that are liked by the majority of people who see them and by critics, and manage to always perform well at the box office.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hey was it just me or did anyone else think Luis' character was written with Aziz Ansari in mind

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

zenintrude posted:

Didn't strike me as a style of joke particularly typical of the MCU.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dexo posted:

The reason they didn't like it was because they thought it was tired and played out.

Codependent Poster posted:

I bet more studios wish they could be tired and played out by getting out movies that are liked by the majority of people who see them and by critics, and manage to always perform well at the box office.
We're at the "it made money so it can't be bad" stage already?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

The reason they didn't like it was because they thought it was tired and played out.
We're at the "it made money so it can't be bad" stage already?

Can this start applying to all comic book threads so I don't have to see your lovely opinions ever again?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Marvel have always had a villain problem for some reason, and while I liked Cory Stoll, he's really trying to make something work out there but there's nothing for him.

There's the implication early on that he's villainous but doesn't really want to be. After he shoots the executive there's a moment where he's looking in the mirror and it's like OK this is interesting. Then he's just overly villainous and Hope says 'It's the particles frying your brain!', which seems to come pretty much out of nowhere. As with Thor 2 and presumably GotG, most of the villain stuff is left on the cutting room floor. Marvel seems to take the approach of Villain=Obstacle, which can only get you so far.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DrVenkman posted:

Then he's just overly villainous and Hope says 'It's the particles frying your brain!', which seems to come pretty much out of nowhere.

And forgive me if I'm wrong but how is that even possible? He hadn't actually used the particles on himself until the end. If it was just working closely with the particles that drove him insane, why wasn't every scientist on that project insane by the end of the film?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Marvel have always had a villain problem for some reason, and while I liked Cory Stoll, he's really trying to make something work out there but there's nothing for him.

There's the implication early on that he's villainous but doesn't really want to be. After he shoots the executive there's a moment where he's looking in the mirror and it's like OK this is interesting. Then he's just overly villainous and Hope says 'It's the particles frying your brain!', which seems to come pretty much out of nowhere. As with Thor 2 and presumably GotG, most of the villain stuff is left on the cutting room floor. Marvel seems to take the approach of Villain=Obstacle, which can only get you so far.

I feel like Marvel is trying to avoid the criticism that a lot of early comic book movies got, where the villain was always more interesting than the hero. But instead of making the heroes interesting enough to match the villains, they've just intentionally made the villains less good.

Steve2911 posted:

And forgive me if I'm wrong but how is that even possible? He hadn't actually used the particles on himself until the end. If it was just working closely with the particles that drove him insane, why wasn't every scientist on that project insane by the end of the film?

I feel like there was quite a bit cut from this film. Or if not cut, last minute rewrites happening that made weird inconsistencies like this that no one really caught due to the change in leadership on the project.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
Finally, a movie for manlets. For anyone that's seen this: how well does this movie tackle the everyday problems that those men below a height of 6'2" have to deal with?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Incredible shinking technology that decreases the distance between atoms? Sure I can buy that.

But dropping from an apartment floor to a dance nightclub, then falling down another level into another apartment and not hearing a peep out of the dance club above? That's complete bullshit

Chernobyl Prize
Sep 22, 2006

Is there an explanation in the comic books why Ant-Man still weighs 180 lbs when he's tiny but Pym's keychain doesn't have the same mass? Also, how does it work when Ant-Man is giant? Is he like 3 stories tall and really weak and light? I'm not complaining about comic book movie realism, just curious. I haven't read any comic books.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Is there an explanation in the comic books why Ant-Man still weighs 180 lbs when he's tiny but Pym's keychain doesn't have the same mass? Also, how does it work when Ant-Man is giant? Is he like 3 stories tall and really weak and light? I'm not complaining about comic book movie realism, just curious. I haven't read any comic books.

probably "quantum weirdness"

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Chernobyl Prize posted:

Pym particles. That's basically it. It's the Ant-Man equivalent to everything weird and pseudo-science in Fantastic Four being explained away with unstable molecules.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I get that the Yellowkacket suit is busted, but how are they going to explain how Cross survived an implosion and becomes Crossbones in Civil War?

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Doronin posted:

I missed that interview, but that is the best news I'm going to read all day probably. Although count me among the people who believe there was some semblance or shadow of Wasp in the Quantum Realm. I swore I saw it, but thought I was seeing things.

definitely saw a silhouette of the wasp on Ant-mans helmet prior to hitting kaleidoscope speed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Detective No. 27 posted:

I get that the Yellowkacket suit is busted, but how are they going to explain how Cross survived an implosion and becomes Crossbones in Civil War?
They aren't because he isn't Crossbones in Civil War.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Electromax posted:

I don't know what Drunk History is so it was pretty funny to me. Weird to suggest some types of humor aren't allowed if some internet video also did it in the last 8 years.

For AntMan 2 he should accidentally make his daughter grow to be 10 stories tall and she stomps all over Vegas until he can deliver her ugly stuffed doll to pacify her.

I doubt we'll get around to a Young Avengers movie for a good ten years at least.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Chernobyl Prize posted:

There is no way he weighs 180 lbs when he's tiny considering he crawls up people's costs and runs up the barrel of a dude's gun and neither of them immediately drop.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If you really want to dig into it, the only thing which behaves oddly when shrunk are people in the special suits. The toy train made big and the tank made small, and all the other instances, act like something of the size they're changed to be. So anything odd with the suits we can excuse as being part of them being designed to make the wearer as useful a soldier as possible.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
One of the main benefits of making the comic book movie a comedy is it helps distract from internal consistency flaws. If this were a serious/dark movie I probably would have cared a lot more about the mass vs weight thing. But as it was I laughed so much that I didn't care about any of that and just enjoyed the movie.

nelson fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 21, 2015

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The fundamental theorem of comic book physics holds that whatever is currently happening is possible, and whatever is called impossible will eventually happen, but anything that just plain didn't work even though nobody said anything about it just can't be done.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Wrong thread i guess

This movie was weird. The first half was funny, then it turned into generic boring superhero movie. Michael douglas keeps going into how this technology is evil for some reason without actually explaining, the bad guy just ups and decides to openly sell his newly designed science to a no longer secret terrorist organization (what?). This movie was all tell and no show.

It feels like a lot of the scenes just happened without any cohesion between them. The falcon thing was literally just tacked on to add a cameo, and every scene filmed at the house when training started felt like it was filmed in a cheap set over a weekend.

I didn't bother to stay after the credits, what scenes did I miss?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Terror Sweat posted:

I didn't bother to stay after the credits, what scenes did I miss?

First Hope being given the new Wasp suit
Second Cap and Falcon finding Bucky with his robot arm caught in a vise or press of some kind in a machine shop or garage. Brief mention of some kind of "accords" (presumably a Civil War tease)

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I was disappointed that they didn't show Ant-Man crawling up someone's nose and then growing to full size.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If you've reached a point where you're using Drunk History to get around the fact that you liked a joke in a marvel movie, perhaps its time for you to stop hating marvel movies

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Terror Sweat posted:

Wrong thread i guess

This movie was weird. The first half was funny, then it turned into generic boring superhero movie. Michael douglas keeps going into how this technology is evil for some reason without actually explaining, the bad guy just ups and decides to openly sell his newly designed science to a no longer secret terrorist organization (what?). This movie was all tell and no show.
I agree with both these points. Pym is trying to stop scientific progress. He was barely able to prevent Cross from spreading the technology, so someone else will figure it out in time and Pym won't be there to stop it. Selling the tech to Hydra was stupid because Cross could make more than enough money through legitimate channels.

Terror Sweat posted:

It feels like a lot of the scenes just happened without any cohesion between them. The falcon thing was literally just tacked on to add a cameo, and every scene filmed at the house when training started felt like it was filmed in a cheap set over a weekend.
The Falcon fight scene was there for pacing. Without it, the middle of the movie would have been nothing but training montages and exposition.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

The Falcon fight scene was there for pacing. Without it, the middle of the movie would have been nothing but training montages and exposition.

It also showed what Scott is capable of when fighting, and how his skills improved from learning from Hope.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Baron Bifford posted:

Selling the tech to Hydra was stupid because Cross could make more than enough money through legitimate channels.

But what if Hydra is willing to pay double of any legitimate amount? Why are you against the free market, you commie?

Plus, it's not only the suit, but the particles. He gave them the first container free, but any more would been worth at least a couple of gold ingots.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Baron Bifford posted:

In addition to this, I really don't think it felt tacked on. It ties the movie in with the rest of the universe more, ads a little joke about the Starks loving Pym yet again, shows that Scott has mastered Antmaning, and works well with Cross' villain exposition at the end. It's not like it was oh hey, Falcon, what are you doing here at Baskin Robins?

If you want to use a scene as an example of poor cohesion between scenes, use when Pym just up and decides to tell Hope what really happened to her mom. It just comes out of nowhere. It was kind of jarring, though the reactions were good and the story of how she died was pretty good.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I liked the Falcon cameo/fight and the direct Avengers nod because it was presented as a twist. We think Ant-Man is going to rob an old warehouse to get something needed for the heist and...oh poo poo, it's actually Avengers headquarters and Lang is thrown head-first into the fire and has to finally put the Ant-Man suit to good use in a major difference from slamming into doors and directing ants to move sugar cubes. It worked, it could have been a dumb "It's Falcon, kids!" style cameo but they worked something with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Baron Bifford posted:

In Europe, nobody likes the gypsies, so people will probably just laugh at it.

Personally I don't get the vapors because the actor pretended to be a guy that thought gypsies had magical powers. I feel like this trait makes me stronger than some.

• Locked thread