Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
:siren: :siren: Byte is still in beta.Some features are missing, bugs may exist, and certain things may change in future updates. Your feedback is always helpful! :siren: :siren:

Byte is a playground for your phone. Using the app, you create "Bytes" — full screen compositions containing GIFs, images, video, text snippets, drawings, and even MIDI music. Bytes are shared to the app (like a webpage published to the web), where they can be stickered, commented, and remixed.

:d: What is Byte?
Courtesy of The Verge:

quote:

Byte is a creative tool and a social network. Mostly, though, it’s a playground: if Vine encourages creativity by giving you constraints, Byte aims to destroy the notion of constraints and see what emerges from the chaos.

The heart of Byte is its creation tool, which you’ll find at the center of the bottom row of buttons when you open the app. Tap it, and you’ll find a gradient of randomly chosen colors as your canvas. Tap again on the canvas, and a staircase of buttons pops up. On the bottom right, there’s a camera you can use to take photos and insert them into your creation. As on Snapchat, there are tools for adding text or drawing with your finger.

One of Byte’s more original features is a "soundtrack" button, which lets you create miniature, looping synths that play inside your creations. You build them using trial and error, placing emoji on a grid. The feature was inspired by Mario Paint’s composer, and as with that game, it’s designed to be forgiving. "You can’t really make anything that sounds bad unless you’re trying," Hofmann says.

sevenflow posted:

:burger: Update!

So, we have a brand new version of Byte out that removes timelines, profiles, and following for something simpler and more pure. It's Byte: Websites Jr.

Bytes are now standalone screens that you can name whatever you want. Bytes have the ability to link to other Bytes (think: hyperlinks). Navigation feels more fluid. Worlds have been deprecated.

This is very WIP and very beta, so expect bugs, crashes, and incomplete features.

On top of that, we've started working on an OS X client, so now you can view Bytes on OS X. We’ve even got Drastic Actions (from this very thread!) working with may turn into a Windows client.

Once you have a client installed on iOS or OS X, byte:// links will magically come to life.

byte://welcome
byte://super-mario-byte
byte://pizza

:coolspot: Links:
a
iOS Beta: Sign up for access
OS X viewer: Download

* creating a Byte is still iOS-only, but we will change that soon.

:d: How do I join?
Byte is currently only available on iOS. Android support is coming soon.

iOS Beta: Sign up for access

Webbeh fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Feenix posted:

Byte me, please!!

You're queued up, should be out to you shortly.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Everything's better with mangosteen.

Also, everyone should be invited or have it in the queue.

http://byte.co/b/gk3PVw

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Click the little circle on the bottom right corner of your object.

Double clicking it will bring it to the front.

There may be a few tiny bugs on certain elements taking layer priority, but they've been reported.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Everyone should have an invite coming up shortly to their inbox. Sorry for the delay!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Drastic Actions posted:

PS: Is there going to be an open API for this?

EDIT:

Actually read the article. Sweet! Hopefully that stays true.

What did you have in mind?

All invites are caught up.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Kaizoku posted:

I PMed my e-mail on Thurs or Fri, also haven't received anything.

Check your spam filter. I'll make sure to re-queue these bad boys up.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
It looks like my last batch hasn't been processed yet. Let me see if I can get it to push out.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Hed posted:

Thanks Webbeh! This is a lot of fun, still trying to figure all the actions out though.

Your feedback is much appreciated! Glad to hear you're enjoying it! :)

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

duckfarts posted:

Double tap the circle to move that object to the front, that's the only arrange method so far though until the next protip comes out

This is the correct way of ordering. There's still a few bugs with certain elements not respecting the order, but otherwise, it works without much fuss.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Added to the queue. There's a slight delay in the last batch of invites going out, but we should process them shortly. Appreciate your patience!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Added you all to the queue. Looks like there's a small delay with the invites queued up within the last week or so, but I'll have it sorted out shortly.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
Playing with the new version of Byte brings me back to the early web design days. It's addicting.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Dat background tho. That's a thing of beauty.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
My creations so far:

byte://webbeh
byte://super-mario-byte

And my crowning jewel:

byte://the-adventures-of-zig&hubble

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Drastic Actions posted:

FYI: The OSX client does not seem to work on 10.11 Beta 6. At least not for me :(. The window pops up (but with no Icon in the dock, which is weird) but no matter what I do, nothing will run. I'm not sure if I'm doing it wrong :shrug:.

Also you might want to limit names of bytes to Alphanumeric characters, because it does not seem to work with Unicode. The names save, but you can't use them as entry points. Or maybe make them two separate fields (Name and link) and make the link only work with Alphanumerics.

EDIT:

I am enjoying the new layout and workflow of Bytes! It is nice to just scroll through a bunch of them at once. Kinda sucks not having the worlds and that sense of "Community", but as a free for all it's nice.

Also (null) ;)

Are you the one I have to thank for byte://temp1? :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

sevenflow posted:

We're working on a way to let you port things over!

yayyyy

I miss dem old bytes.

• Locked thread