Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I ain't even kidding.

Short version: Wilco have just released a surprise free album called Star Wars, which you can download here. Just go to their site, enter your email address, click the link they send to download and bam, eleven new Wilco tracks! Since Wilco are probably my favorite band that's still active I'm pretty excited about this. I just downloaded it, and am about to smoke up, put on my headphones and see what happens.

Longer version for Wilco n00bz from my last Wilco thread that didn't even make it to page two :smith: :

Happy Hippo posted:

Who the gently caress are Wilco?

Simply put, Wilco are a dad rock band. They formed 20 years ago, a twangy phoenix rising from the ashes of the now-legendary Uncle Tupelo. Here's the condensed Uncle Tupelo story; Jay Farrar and Jeff Tweedy were good friends as kids in school. They started a band along with drummer Mike Heidorn. Jay originally wrote all their songs but encouraged Tupelo bassist Jeff to write songs too. He did, and by the time of their first release they were splitting singer-songwriter duties evenly. They released four albums (by the time the fourth album came around Jeff moved over to second guitar and the band had expanded their lineup) and then one day Jay said, "gently caress this, I quit." The remaining lineup became the first Wilco lineup. Jeff and Jay do not speak to this day.

What do they sound like?

Their sound has shifted on pretty much every release but each record is informed by the record that preceded it. They started off as, in my opinion, nothing more than a pretty good country-rock bar band. Their first album, AM, has some really good tunes on it and sounds like the tracks Tweedy wrote for the final Uncle Tupelo record.

The sophomore release Being There is a sprawling double album that occasionally gets a bit experimental (the opening track "Misunderstood" is a good example of this), but for the most part was more of the standard fare.

Summerteeth is when I finally admitted that Wilco was onto something. It's basically a sugary pop record with a very dark streak (all those references to domestic violence) and some truly hosed up noisy moments popping up in the most unexpected places (Via Chicago). This is the sound of a songwriter truly coming into his own while trying to make a pop record that would please the label bosses. It did not please them at all and the record got very little support from the label. Which leads us to...

Their masterpiece Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. If Wilco is my favorite band then this is my favorite album. This is when people really noticed Wilco and it had as much to do with the music on the record as it had to do with bad press for the label. Much has been written about how the label hated the record, and about how the band was dropped from the label for refusing to change the record, and about how Jay Bennett was fired from the band during this time, and the entire drama is documented in the excellent documentary I Am Trying To Break Your Heart so I'll just talk about the music itself. This record has been described as "Kid A with a mortgage payment" and that'll give you an idea of what the record sounds like. It's bleak, it's mopey, it's joyous, beautiful, noisy, hosed up and challenging. This is the stoniest, most eyerollingest thing ever but you really owe it to yourself to get really high, turn off the lights and listen to this one on headphones.

A Ghost is Born was the big followup and it's another one of my favorites. It's a challenging listen to Wilco n00bs because it was written and recorded during the year leading up to Jeff Tweedy entering rehab for addiction to pain pills. It continues the experimentalism of YHF but is its own thing entirely.

Up until this point the band was constantly losing and replacing members. They finally settled onto the six man lineup the band is currently on at this point. The first record with this iteration of Wilco was Sky Blue Sky. I didn't like this one at first but as I've gotten older I've come to love it. My favorite Wilco is weird-Wilco and this is as normal as a band's sound gets. It sounds like six dudes in a room playing music. No meltdowns of guitar noise, no loops, no ghost station vocal samples, just organic songs made by guitars, bass, drums, keys and voices. This is the first studio album of theirs with Nels Cline on guitar and holy poo poo does Nels deliver the goods here.

Then came Wilco (The Album). There are some decent tracks here but overall it lacks a cohesive vision. It sounds like tracks from their earlier phases all crammed onto one disc and as a result it sounds unsure of itself. Not bad, but their weakest release.

The Whole Love is their most recent studio album. Here, the band move their sound forward while building off the past. There's folky stuff and noisy moments and it all blends together into an album that sounds like the work of a band with a unified vision. It also has what's been my favorite song these last couple of years, "One Sunday Morning (Song For Jane Smiley's Boyfriend)."

That's a very cursory look at Wilco. Feel free to post about Wilco and Uncle Tupelo and side projects like Loose Fur, the Autumn Defense, Glenn's solo records, the Billy Bragg and Minus 5 collaborations, the Tweedy record, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
Dropped 24 hours before they go on stage at Pitchfork in front of the home crowd. gently caress yes, I didn't think I could be any more stoked for this weekend.

Dat cat tho.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Thats kind of cool, and I hope those @ p4k fest appreciate they're hearing all new music.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

I was intensely pumped to see this the moment they posted to Twitter/Facebook last night.

Some additional info,
Album is now up on iTunes for download/Apple Music for streaming.
It will be free until August 13, with a CD release coming on August 21 and a vinyl release coming on November 27.
Preorders are up at wilcoworld.net, pre-orders also include t-shirts/Google DeepDream cat prints.

I've listened through this a few times already, and while it's a lot more "ramshackle" than previous albums, I'm loving how loose it is. "You Satellite", "Taste The Ceiling", and "Cold Slope" are currently my favorites.

I don't want to deal with p4k fest, but I work close enough that I'm tempted to go loiter around for their set. At least they're streaming it online.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.
They played the whole album (I believe, only listened to it once), though out of order. Sounds fantastic live. They followed it up with a greatest hits set that got the tired and hot crowd energized (at least from my vantage point, leaning against the barrier in front of the stage, as close as you can get). This was my third time seeing them, and it was by far the best show I've seen.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I tend to have a love/hate relationship with their music. Their live show is great, but their studio output is so drat uneven, and the only album of theirs that I really dig is YHF, and that's one of my desert island discs. For the most part, a lot of their other stuff sounds like they're trying too hard to be the alt-country bastard lovechild of The Beatles and Radiohead.

That being said, I'm really digging Star Wars. Has some sonic similarities to the YHF era, but substituting YHF's somber, symphonic grandeur with a much more relaxed, scrappy, minimalist arrangement. It sounds like the band had fun recording the album.

Good blazing album too.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

They have a new album on the way called Schmilco. You can pre-order it now, and there are two tracks from it available on iTunes; If I Ever Was A Child (pretty good) and Locator (not bad). Album gets its official release on 9/9.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014

Is this the same artist who does the Jim O'Rourke album covers?

E: it is not. Still hoping O'Rourke was involved.

Poppy Nogood fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 19, 2016

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I think the last Wilco album I liked was "Sky Blue Sky". Considering how much I love YHF it's sad that the band just does nothing much for me these days.

zandert33 fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 20, 2016

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Album cover owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Cover artist is Joan Cornella. His stuff is all along those same lines, and it's outstanding.

http://cornellajoan.tumblr.com/

• Locked thread