Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Previous Ys LPs
Ys I & II Chronicles
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys

Previous thread (needs archives!): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3660295

Ys Origin is the ninth title in the Ys series, a long running series of Action RPGs developed by Falcom that started all the way back in 1987 and is still going strong. It was originally released for PC in Japan on December 21st 2006. Six years later XSEED translated and published the game to Steam on the 1st June, 2012.
The engine driving this game follows a similar gameplay engine employed in Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim and refined in Ys: The Oath in Felghana. The style of graphics was used throughout a great deal of Falcom's releases over the 2000's including the Trails series.

In terms of Ys games to get you into the series Origin is definitely a good place to start. It has a little something for old and new players alike and in terms of content you're going to get a lot of bang for your buck, for better or worse. This game has both good and bad elements mixed in but overall it's a solid game with plenty of content to keep players coming back for more.

Following the plot revelations of Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim, Falcom had to make elaborate revisions to the plot of previously established games in the series, the most important of which allowed Falcom to make an origin story for their first game: Ancient Ys Vanished.

The story takes place 700 years before the events of Ys I:

There once was a wildly prosperous land named Ys, ruled by the twin Goddesses Reah and Feena and their six priestly retainers. It was a veritable paradise, with all its residents able to enact miracles at will through the use of magic – a power granted them by a holy artifact known as the Black Pearl.

One day, without warning, enormous demons marched upon the land, bringing death and devastation in their wake. Their numbers and their might were too much for the knights and sorcerers of Ys to handle, so the people sought shelter within their holiest of temples at the top of the tallest mountain. In a desperate attempt to keep these people safe, the twin Goddesses used the power of the Black Pearl to tear this temple from the ground and raise it into the heavens, away from the ever-growing threat below.

The demons were determined, however. They erected an enormous tower from which further attacks were launched, bringing the battle into the skies. An all-out war had begun, with forces concentrated in Solomon Shrine above and the Devil's Tower below.

And it was amidst this chaos that the twin Goddesses stole away into the night. No one was told of their departure – not even the Six Priests who served them. It seemed clear that they'd gone back to the surface, but no one knew exactly why. Only one thing was certain: Without the Goddesses, Ys could not survive.

Intent on finding their missing deities, the Six Priests organized a search party of the most elite knights and sorcerers in the land. These soldiers were given a single mission: Secure the safety of Ladies Reah and Feena, and bring them back to Solomon Shrine alive and well.

But in the desolate, ruined remains of Ys, there's only one place they could have gone...

The Devil's Tower itself.

Source: XSEED's Ys Origin site

Covering all this game has to offer is going to be an absurd trial as the game has about four times the amount of content Oath in Felghana had. Not to mention the game has multiple playthroughs as different characters. We're going to cover all of them, but we're going to mix things up to keep it interesting.

Arc 1 - Training Mittens
The first playthrough will be a Hard mode playthrough as Yunica Tovah. Solo commentary, same sort of deal as the Oath in Felghana LP. This run should get updated pretty regularly as I just record content whenever I feel like it.

Arc 2 - Hugo's Bizarre Adventure
For this second playthrough I'll be doing something I've never tried before. The playthrough will be a Normal mode Hugo Fact run and I won't be playing! I'm putting the controller in the hands of my friend, Deep-Friar, who will be playing through the game for the first time. He won't be alone, however, I'll be sitting behind him guiding him along giving him possibly useful information but more than likely just being an rear end in a top hat. This run will get updated in large bursts as it's harder to get Deeps in for recording than it is me just recording solo. I also have no concept of a backlog.

Arc 3 - Knightmare
The third playthrough will be a complete runthrough of the game as Toal on Nightmare difficulty. This series will tackle the game as the most difficult and most fun character, showing off how much of the game is altered specifically for this character. This story is not unlocked until you have completed at least one of the previous arcs, and I recommend you watch either Yunica or Hugo's story before this one.
This playthrough will be talking about the game as though people have played it at least once, will discuss some finer points of the systems in the game, and will contain spoilers for other entries in the series.
Commentary will be done with a mixture of guests I'll pull in from places so expect derails and being generally offensive to everyone.

All playthroughs will be 100%, we are going to put this game in the ground.

All videos are hosted on Youtube in 720p/30.

Arena Mode
A short series showing off the unlockable characters and other bonus disc content.
1 - Yunica EX
2 - Adol (YsVI)
3 - Adol (OiF)
4 - Hugo EX
5 - Toal EX
6 - The Hard One
7 - Pikkardon

Extra Content
Showing off a neat trick you can do as Hugo when fighting Epona

toddy. fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Pics from Pals

Seedy Wizard

Camel Pimp

Ys I & II Chronicles, Oath in Felghana, Ys Origin and Ys VI are now all available in English on both Steam and GoG! Support the developers and publishers by picking up a copy and maybe we'll finally see a release of Zwei!!2.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Welcome back!

We're finally back on track after half a year's absence kicking things off with a romp through the Demonic Core. Thanks for your patience over the last few months and I have another update that will be posted in a day or two once I'm done editing it.

For those new to the thread you've got over 30 videos of content to catch up on but I hope you enjoy it anyways.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 17, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Hopefully I can finish the entirety of Yunica's playthrough by the end of next week. Totally doable given there's only one dungeon left after next episode.
It's edited too so I'll pack it and load it onto the tubes over the next couple days.

I also need to speak to Deeps to see when he's free to record again as I didn't really tell him I was going to reboot the thread. I would like to get that done in two or so sessions over the coming weeks.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

NGDBSS posted:

Also you'd mentioned the don't-use-Burst achievement at around nine minutes into the video; I believe that it actually applies instead to the secret character.

It's just the secret character. My comprehension is way out of whack today.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 18, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Slightly shorter update, now with a little Q&A at the end. I might keep doing that for a while I might not.
Everything is mirrors, Zava is laughably easy but awesome nonetheless.

Deeps is going to help record some Hugo stuff later today hopefully that will be good and I will post that stuff next week.

Edit: Here, have some badly taken pictures of art bits from the game manual.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 19, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
We recorded some Hugo stuff the other day and I'll get around to editing that maybe tonight. Unfortunately we're going to have to re-record the Demonic Core as Fraps decided to not play nice. A bit unfortunate since you missed an insane Zava fight where he clutched half the fight at 1HP. We aim to record more Hugo stuff in a fortnight's time and then that run will be done.

Expect a Hugo video or two over the coming days, maybe another Yunica video. I'm considering doing the last part of the game on nightmare mode as Yunica as I have a save kicking around at the point we're at on that playthrough now. I'm also considering not using the fire magic in the upcoming (boss spoiler) Kishgal rematch to make things interesting but I'm not sure yet.

Cake Attack posted:

the mittens are good

:agreed:

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

I edited this video while watching evo with many people screaming in my ear so let me know if the audio could do with some improving in future updates. Still getting back in the swing of this multiple-people-on-one-mic thing.

Also we bought stuff from a US foods importer so expect pretzel and m&ms, followed by MYSTERIOUS COMMUNISM SODA in a couple eps' time.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 20, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Deeps gets stuck into the Demonic Core and gets pounded in the first half. Will the second prove as challenging?

Also apologies about the audio in this one I started getting further and further away from the mic and balancing the audio became a nightmare but it should still be audible enough.

I'm going to estimate the next video will go up in 3 or so days. Just gotta mix the audio and make final cuts in time around C# coding and playing Demon Gaze.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I just finished editing together another two Hugo videos and I'm going to hopefully finish commentating the last couple Yunica videos this weekend maybe?

Captain Bravo posted:

He was not prepared for the thrusting. :v:

He spent what felt like an hour saying the phrase milky discharge I sense this is definitely a sex thing.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
More Hugo more power!

A pretty interesting plot thing happens here and next episode. If you didn't like Hugo up until this point, you actually might after/during a little twist. Remember kids, the first time is always free.

I might upload the next video tomorrow assuming I get home and Windows 10 hasn't completely hosed my computer to hell.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Hugo hulks out.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I can't believe Telstra crashed my update train.

loving australian internet rrrrg mumble grumble

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Second last video of the playthrough. Pretty straightforward climb to the top of the Devil's Tower.
Next episode we'll wrap up Yunica's story and reveal the third character if you somehow haven't worked out who it is yet.

toddy. fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 6, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I'm glad you're excited for my playthrough as Dogi.

He punched his way 700 years into the past to crush evil betwixt his powerful thighs.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

LET ME PUNCH YOUR EYES ADOL IT'S THE ONLY WAY

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Cake Attack posted:

i'd let him crush my walls any day

Fistmas comes but once a year...

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I was going to wait until later in the week to post this but what the hell, have the final Yunica video.

The third playthrough should start in a week or so, depending on when I record more Hugo with Deeps.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Smornstein posted:

I'm incredibly excited for Zava mode where you use a twin stick controller to control her weird demon heads.

Play as Jeanne from Bayonetta but with Zava's head basically.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Sorry for the delay in updates I've been bogged down with work stuff last couple weeks but a decent portion of that will be done next week and hopefully I can get back to doing updates soon. Maybe next week I'll finally get some time to record the rest of the Hugo playthrough with Deeps.

I also still have to make some decisions with editing the Toal run as to whether I keep the dungeon segments at normal speed or speed them up since there's a lot of familiar ground to cover. I'll see how I go with commentators and if we want to shoot the poo poo over dungeon bits I might leave them as is.
I also need to decide when to start recording and posting arena mode content since I can kinda start some parts of that whenever now. So much hidden content in these later playthroughs, not enough skill to edit and co-ordinate it all together aaaaaaa

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Oh god EntranceJew wasn't lying when he told me he did that then.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

FirstAidKite posted:

Is that from the mumble

No he messaged me on Steam

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Falcom JDK Band goes live on Falcom's channel in less than an hour if you want to listen to some sick Falcom tracks.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Ok we're back proper this time!

The rest of Hugo is recorded and edited! I will upload the rest once I get idle time to transcode all the video.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Still smashing through updates until Hugo's story is over. Should get the last two up towards the end of the week while I work out recording Toal's story.

Black Balloon posted:

Well that's a pleasant surprise. I've been looking forward to seeing this finished.

I'm going to finish it this time, honest!

Polsy posted:

Probably take into account the contents of 'fortune' was mostly created by unix nerds 20-30 years ago, it makes more sense of how bad it is

If I have to compare something to Kochie's Joke Book Volume 2 we're in real trouble.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I had to look back at the video to see what you were talking about there but yeah I was being facetious to him trying to fill random dead air.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
If I'm not a lazy rear end the next video should be up within 24 hours.
If tree of savior is actually working by the time I get home expect it to be in the later part of said 24 hours.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Last video should be up by Sunday. Then I guess I have to really work on the Toal run.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I haven't played ff14 since heavensward made me hate moogles and the game

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
The last Hugo update is here.

I still haven't gotten around to recording Toal's playthrough because PAX and being hungover but that should happen soon. Again thanks for watching the second of three playthroughs and I hope you have it in your for one final playthrough -- it's going to be all kinds of messed up on the Falcom difficulty scale. Nightmarish even.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Well in a world where I can find the time and effort to do them I'd try for at least
Ys VI
Ys Seven
Memories of Celceta
Whatever the new PS4 one is coming out next year or so?

So that's four. Those games get way longer towards the end, and I'm probably going to do a different game or two if I do more threads after this but at this point I'm calling way too much in advance.

Black Balloon posted:

Glad to see that finished up. Really excited to see the Toal run, and specifically the nightmare difficult differences you've sorta hyped up so far.

I'm also trying some tricks for that run I've never done before. Toal is a little bit broken for the game but I'll detail some of those things soon I hope.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Yeah about that.
I really don't want to play Ys V again; that game is rear end. That's in comparison to Wanderers from Ys.

I'm just going to substitute that for any other game I own. Falcom title or not.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I'll be getting around to recording soon I have no excuses now. Probably later in the week?

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Finally the playthrough we've all been waiting for is here!

It's finally Toal's turn to take on the Devil's Tower. He's pretty cool also Nightmare difficulty is kind of bullshit more on that later.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
He definitely is!

Just... don't play him on Nightmare, it sucks.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
Let's get poo poo done.

Next video will be a bit shorter as it's just a boss fight plus one really boring cutscene then next week the Flooded Prison videos should hopefully start.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I don't actually remember if the Gemma family were the ones who made the alter magic. If so then a lot of dots connect on that one.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Oh gently caress these bosses are going to get so much worse send help. I'm actually complaining about hard bosses waaayyyyy too early into the playthrough here.

I'll record the next dungeon this weekend and more videos will be on their way soon.

Also between xmas and mid-January I won't be here so no videos then. In the meantime expect at least a couple updates a week.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Where did the editing go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~

Two updates in two days because you're cool.

• Locked thread