Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
almost impossible game show was quite good -- it's a bit like wipeout without that jarring shift in tone that wipeout had, going from goofy they-fell-in-the-water humor to superserious competition in the wipeout zone.

but AIGS only has a prize of $500 going to whoever can pass four events, so the minute a show starts trying to act all serious for such small potatoes it sucks all the humor out of it.

in short, if you're going to do a physical-type game show, pick a tone and stick with it. go serious like american ninja warrior, or go silly like almost impossible game show, but be consistent, goddamn it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also, it is a loving travesty that million dollar mind game got shuffled off to sunday afternoons against the nfl. a game with as clever material as it had deserved a better fate than that, with or without vernon kay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWQ5AROEQ7I&hd=1

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
quiz up and draw something both have had pilots. i'm withholding judgement on this becaue part of me really wants to see how they pull it off.

stranger ideas are out there in the world: the belgians made a game show based on tetris and that one's been running over there since 1994.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MisterZimbu posted:

"please be Stachenblochen please be Stachenblochen"

Crud :(

i said belgian, not german.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i still haven't watched the wall, but apparently there is a not-insignificant amount of people who think it's rigged based on that team of marines going triple-up on the last question and busting out.

a tactful response would be that those people are hasty and incorrect.

the honest response would be that those people are thicker than pig poo poo.

i have experienced first-hand the metaphorical, flaming, electrified, landmine-studded obstacle course that production companies jump through on a regular basis to prove they are honest, because nobody wants to risk a federal prison sentence just to get an extra decimal point on their share. With as many safety checks, standards and practice/compliance people, forms, and notification rules involved, there are way too many safeguards in place and releases to sign that if any type of tinkering were to go down, it would fall at first hurdle and fall pretty damned hard.

it literally isn't worth it*. game shows can't generate enough cash to be managed like world soccer tournaments or the sales of sub-prime mortgage derivatives -- producers wouldn't benefit because most networks, like how they do for a lot of their productions, will only front somewhere around 80% of production costs for a prime time show**, and no game show is going to set a prize budget without figuring out how much they can afford to give away over the course of a season, and either adjusting the difficulty or the payout for winning from there to make winning "gently caress off" money possible, but not probable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ4Cn1fHI3g&t=192s

**source available, just not immediately available.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 7, 2017

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also:

the bad news is that celebrity name game was cancelled.

the good news is that he's bringing back the puppets:

quote:

As Deadline reported, NBC has picked up the special Top Puppet, a competition-style program that will find the next great puppet act. Not intended to be a series just yet, the show is conceived as a stand-alone, one-time special. Although Ferguson might seem like a perfect choice to introduce the contestants and chat with them between performances, Deadline reports he’s staying behind the scenes as an executive producer.

Top Puppet comes with a significant credential, as The Jim Henson Company has also been tapped to produce the show along with Talpa Media, which is behind singing competition show The Voice. As for what constitutes a puppet, Deadline reports it can be anything from a sock puppet to a full stage costume. Casting is currently underway, but diversity is encouraged, from marionettes to giant walkers to ventriloquists.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat it all i knew i was forgetting to do something tonight.

how was it, TI?

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and blackout gags from jimmy carr during the clock. which i dig.

regular countdown, i watch to play along. 8o10 countdown i watch because lock, richardson, et al are just as bad at it as i am.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
heads up, yall -- $100,000 pyramid is holding auditions in Atlanta this weekend:

if you're in the area and want to try out (like i'll be), they would like for you to email them your details at that website.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
snoop dogg is hosting a revival of the joker's wild.

you know what? i won't be that guy -- i'm looking forward to it because i want to see what they do with it, because the show p. much ran as far as it could with its basic format in its original run, and any innovation in game show formats can and should be encouraged.

(other people's jokes: "the jizzoker's wild? sounds like the censors will have questions, but okay")

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 17, 2017

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The new Gong Show is going to be loving spectacular, y'all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u65QJS7iDfo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezkt3zD0dAw

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DarklyDreaming posted:

:siren:Please do not put spiders in your mouth:siren:

:stonklol:

This is wisdom - you already eat eighteen every hour you sleep. Putting them in your mouth when you're awake would spoil your dinner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, them what are in the Los Angeles area and want the opportunity to spend approximately twenty minutes with Snoop Dogg, here's your chance:

https://twitter.com/buzzerblog/status/875112966244503552

• Locked thread