Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon
May 22, 2003

Probably looking out for Arabs and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well at least we can definitively say OJ didn't do it this time

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
there's a norm-esque punchline about the cat being the only suspect, but I'm no good at that kind of thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So he came to watch the cat, which was good, but then he did a lot of drugs and died... which was bad. I'm glad he fed the cat. Wish he didn't do a lot of drugs and die.

That's kinda weird.
Saying to himself "alright so I'm here feeding a cat. What should I do now? I've got it, I'm going to do a lot of drugs and die. Then I don't have to watch the cat." Short sighted thinking. He accomplished his two goals in the short term, but in the long term, he died.

Me I'm always trying not to die.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

greatn posted:

So he came to watch the cat, which was good, but then he did a lot of drugs and died... which was bad. I'm glad he fed the cat. Wish he didn't do a lot of drugs and die.

That's kinda weird.
Saying to himself "alright so I'm here feeding a cat. What should I do now? I've got it, I'm going to do a lot of drugs and die. Then I don't have to watch the cat." Short sighted thinking. He accomplished his two goals in the short term, but in the long term, he died.

This part has to be louder than the rest, almost yelling. It's how I read it in Norm's voice.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Norm must feel terrible about that kid using all his drugs like that but at least he's dead.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Is his cat okay :ohdear:

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I bet Norm's cat is funny as hell.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
man that is insane

so on the bright side: norm's name will be up there in the news rankings, and this will sell his book a bit more, get some youtube views

on the much much less bright side: the parents of a kid norm probably overpaid and trusted with his home to do a very simple task are immediately looking to see if they can sue norm or force him to write a check for not putting his prescriptions in a gun vault

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
"And books, you know I don't like books"

*buy Norm's book overlay pops up*

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

turbomoose posted:

"And books, you know I don't like books"

*buy Norm's book overlay pops up*

much more intense than this even, about five minutes after i see the news break about norm being sued by his son's dead friend's parents stephen merchant just said on the podcast "if anyone wants to sue, sue norm, he's looking for that publicity, i'm not"

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
I hope Norm can handle another lawsuit right on the heels of the defamation suit from the Saville estate

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
He's a pee-do-phile

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sintax posted:

I hope Norm can handle another lawsuit right on the heels of the defamation suit from the Saville estate

It was criminal how he kept mispronouncing that name

tie-dye my titties
Jun 14, 2014

by WE B Boo-ourgeois

syscall girl posted:

It was criminal how he kept mispronouncing that name

Yeah... Criminally funny!!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Ein cooler Typ posted:

the conundrum

is Norm MacDonald good enough for me to watch 4 minutes of Jimmy Fallon

In any just world it's Norm behind the desk and Jimmy pimping a book.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
never watched jimmy fallon before, holy poo poo he is bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

natetimm posted:

In any just world it's Norm behind the desk and Jimmy pimping a book.

its jimmy pimping adam eget

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
like he really ruined Norm's joke, seems that Fallon comes from a world where the audience needs to be told when to laugh and him acting that way really clashes with Norm's humor

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The real question is: did Norm's cat eat the teenager.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Jimmy Fallon is too high-strung and weaselly to be the face of late night. He's funny, he's just not the type of funny required to drive a show like that. He physically cannot play the straight part in a skit or interview without melting down into a giggling mess.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

Jimmy Fallon is too high-strung and weaselly to be the face of late night. He's funny, he's just not the type of funny required to drive a show like that. He physically cannot play the straight part in a skit or interview without melting down into a giggling mess.

Fallon is so bad Seth McFarlane gets sick burns on him.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Jimmy Fallon was trash on SNL who couldn't stop giggling at himself to execute a single skit, and that he has had such success since then is proof that God has turned away from us

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Conan laughs a lot during skits as well, but he manages to hold it together to be the straight guy when he needs to. Part of what's necessary for a lot of comedy to work is to have a Bob Newhart or Johnny Carson or Will Ferrel in the mix who can deadpan stuff and act serious for the silly guy to bounce off of. That entire facet of comedic performance seems to get less and less attention as time goes on in favor of more wacky, random poo poo. Norm is great because he plays that type of dude while still telling the jokes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

natetimm posted:

Conan laughs a lot during skits as well, but he manages to hold it together to be the straight guy when he needs to. Part of what's necessary for a lot of comedy to work is to have a Bob Newhart or Johnny Carson or Will Ferrel in the mix who can deadpan stuff and act serious for the silly guy to bounce off of. That entire facet of comedic performance seems to get less and less attention as time goes on in favor of more wacky, random poo poo. Norm is great because he plays that type of dude while still telling the jokes.

Hmm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNZMvkG87aE

checks out.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Whether or not you enjoy Will Ferrell's style is one thing, but he hardly ever breaks composure when playing it straight. Celebrity Jeopardy is 100% fueled by him with other people just hamming it up. Without his stuffy and shocked demeanor, a lot of the stuff the contestants are doing just wouldn't be as funny. Norm is great as Burt Reynolds acting crazy, but Will really sells it by being so exasperated and embarrassed by him.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Best example of the Will Ferrel vs Fallon dynamic is the cowbell sketch where Will keeps it straight the whole sketch until Jimmy Fallon has ONE LINE and can't deliver it without laughing like a loving retard.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

greatn posted:

That's kinda weird.

Very good. If only you could work in a Man Grate, it would be perfect.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

AugmentedVision posted:

never watched jimmy fallon before, holy poo poo he is bad

There was a Simpsons episode in the late 90s/early 2000s where Homer says "what are you laughing at, boy? And don't say Jimmy Fallon or I'll know you're lying!"

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I can't believe he's so popular, he really is just the worst.

I'd watch Mike Bullard reruns by the dozen before I could sit through one loving minute of that little rear end in a top hat Fallon.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

natetimm posted:

all i read is jimmy fallon physically cannot be straight

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

thank u sir

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/annielederman/status/776914988472545281

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I can't believe he's so popular, I'd watch Mike Bullard reruns by the dozen before I could sit through one loving minute of that little rear end in a top hat Fallon.

I haven't thought about that guy in years! When Mike Bullard would blink his entire head would fold in on itself.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I can't believe he's so popular, he really is just the worst.

I'd watch Mike Bullard reruns by the dozen before I could sit through one loving minute of that little rear end in a top hat Fallon.

when i used to work as a waiter mike bullard was at a wedding we were catering and i was pretty excited because he was the only famous person i'd ever seen irl. i think it was his cousin's wedding or something but anyway he was mcing and he was wearing this awful orange cardigan that made him stand out like a big cheeto thumb in the venue. he was painfully unfunny and later when i was bussing his table i accidentally spilled what was left of the little jug of cream down the back of his awful sweater. he didn't notice and i got away before anyone could blame me.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Mike Bullard had eyes that looked like little black buttons

tyk00n
Sep 25, 2006

College Slice
I once carried Mike Bullard's groceries to his car, he did not tip

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I genuinely miss Mike Bullard.

And with regards to the 'straight man', that part of the act is absolutely essential. The Smothers Brothers are the perfect example. Abbot and Costello, too.

Seriously, look up some Smothers Brothers stuff; still funny.

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012
ah hells yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

u glorious bastard

• Locked thread