Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is loving amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7K-kaelQEs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Lol incredible.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
As per tradition, following that was a pretty female guest sat next to Norm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C800ec_yukw

Lemon
May 22, 2003

http://nerdist.com/nerdist-podcast-norm-macdonald/

Only just spotted this, haven't listened yet but hey, more Norm

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't see anyone post about the interview Norm gave with Vulture when promoting his new book. It's good, give it a read. I don't think that all socially relevant comedy is unfunny like he does, but I also don't really like the trend in modern comedy that you can't be truly great in it unless you have something to say. Also, "every genius breeds a bunch of loving idiots" is a hell of a quote and I'll probably use it in the future.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Saw Norm live a few years ago. A lot of folks I knew who went seemed to be pretty offended by it - they were used to SNL Norm or talk show guest Norm. But this was a hit of the pure poo poo - unfiltered Norm and it was goddamn glorious. Most memorable jokes were the ones that played with audience expectations. Like one where he went on, to a pretty uncomfortable degree, about what a "stupid oval office" (his words, IIRC) Eve from the Garden of Eden was, just going on and on about "you had one loving job to do, not eat the loving fruit," and people are getting more and more uncomfortable until he lets us in on the punchline, "I mean, Christ, don't you ever think!?!"

Also, "I don't want to seem insensitive, but I think Eskimos are subhuman creatures."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The audio version of his book (read by him of course) is extremely loving good. Like, even as a fan of his, I was surprised by how good it is.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
Norm is a god drat brilliant man and obviously very intelligent if somewhat crazy. He's also a giant rear end in a top hat when it comes to other comics, he's extremely unapologetic about saying stuff sucks. I remember him saying something about Carlin not really being very funny which I had to give him points for because comics usually suck Carlin's dick to appear hip as gently caress, but Norm's just like "eh".

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Perry Normal posted:

Saw Norm live a few years ago. A lot of folks I knew who went seemed to be pretty offended by it - they were used to SNL Norm or talk show guest Norm. But this was a hit of the pure poo poo - unfiltered Norm and it was goddamn glorious. Most memorable jokes were the ones that played with audience expectations. Like one where he went on, to a pretty uncomfortable degree, about what a "stupid oval office" (his words, IIRC) Eve from the Garden of Eden was, just going on and on about "you had one loving job to do, not eat the loving fruit," and people are getting more and more uncomfortable until he lets us in on the punchline, "I mean, Christ, don't you ever think!?!"

Also, "I don't want to seem insensitive, but I think Eskimos are subhuman creatures."

yeah, i had a similar experience just last month seeing him live. i was sitting on the aisle in the front row of the balcony and a middle-aged father and his teenaged son and daughter sit next to me. the daughter puts her feet up on the railing and starts kicking it 10 minutes into norm's set. also, pulling out her cell phone and whining loudly to her father. the people sitting behind me (think howard stern/artie lange fans) let them have it. they left 30 minutes before norm ended and the father only laughed once (lightly) when norm mentioned his disintegrated marriage. those three seats cost 200 dollars including fees. i don't know what the appeal was for this suburban schlub and to bring your bored teenagers to a comic who talks about, amongst other things, imagining being raped by bill cosby.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Secular Humanist posted:

Norm is a god drat brilliant man and obviously very intelligent if somewhat crazy. He's also a giant rear end in a top hat when it comes to other comics, he's extremely unapologetic about saying stuff sucks. I remember him saying something about Carlin not really being very funny which I had to give him points for because comics usually suck Carlin's dick to appear hip as gently caress, but Norm's just like "eh".

I've seen some Carlin that was not particularly informative or funny (mlmp)

Although hearing Norm talk about Leno like he was some great thing was odd to me, never really got him

The thing in the last podcast about The Straight Story and Richard Farnsworth really struck me about hiding a chronic illness though

I'd meant to watch that movie years ago and now just am, I love that old dude from Anne of Green Gables

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
Pre-Tonight Show Leno stand-up was supposedly incredible, by literally all accounts, but absolutely no record of it exists.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Leno was funny the way Robin Williams was funny where it's more about his energy and attitude than the material. It's hard to appreciate that when you hate him though. Norm was talking about how even in recent times he still kills when he does shows and he compares him to Elvis because of how the audience reacts to him.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the fact that Jay Leno is actually a hilarious guy is one of Hollywood's most well-kept secrets.

Wasn't he on a few episodes of Curb or something? I seem to remember that.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

My Q-Face posted:

Pre-Tonight Show Leno stand-up was supposedly incredible, by literally all accounts, but absolutely no record of it exists.

I saw Leno's stand-up in Vegas the same year he got the Tonight Show gig. Very, very funny show, and he worked a little blue.

And someone compared Leno's standup to Robin Williams -- I thought the strength of Leno's show was the material, though his delivery was perfect. Very polished - the guy is a master. Williams' standup material was the worst.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
This was posted in another norm thread here, but god what the gently caress. I've never seen tom greens show, but he's real frustrating in this entire thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QHqDzXLMKY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Professor Puppytime posted:

This was posted in another norm thread here, but god what the gently caress. I've never seen tom greens show, but he's real frustrating in this entire thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QHqDzXLMKY

I loved this interview. There's something fantastic about Norm narrating a YouTube video of a snake attacking a baby and him feeling the need to point out that "that's the snake on the right" when the snake and the baby are the only two things in the frame lol

• Locked thread