Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the last machine I built was amd. that was like 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I said this before but couldn't find anything to back it up, does Intel need to divulge their shrinking processes, by law, to keep AMD competitive enough that they don't have an outright monopoly

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the 9800pro was the best gpu ever creast.ed

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it was actually the 9700 pro

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pram posted:

it was actually the 9700 pro

no it was the one is aid, the 9800pro

sorry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i still have on esomewhere. u can pry it from my cold deadhands.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no. NO. you imbecile. the R350 was just a derivative of the R300. the R300 is the chip that, for the first time in ATIs history really, completely kicked the poo poo out of nvidia and their garbage fx card. get the gently caress out of the forum if you dont know decade old gpu info intimately

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pram posted:

no. NO. you imbecile. the R350 was just a derivative of the R300. the R300 is the chip that, for the first time in ATIs history really, completely kicked the poo poo out of nvidia and their garbage fx card. get the gently caress out of the forum if you dont know decade old gpu info intimately

the 9800pro was the faster card

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

lol the fx range drat intel and nvidia both poo poo the bed at that point in hsitory

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you sicken me

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i had a pci fx5200 at one point (no agp port on my emachine)_

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

pram posted:

you sicken me

i dont care that the 9700pro gcame first. i said 9800pro was the best. it was. it owned.

the x19xx series was pretty good too actually

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Valeyard posted:

I said this before but couldn't find anything to back it up, does Intel need to divulge their shrinking processes, by law, to keep AMD competitive enough that they don't have an outright monopoly

absolutely not, especially since amd sold off their actual chip manufacturing portion of the company years ago, because amd is dumb

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, I don't know where I picked that up from though

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nintendo Kid posted:

absolutely not, especially since amd sold off their actual chip manufacturing portion of the company years ago, because amd is dumb

it's like if chrysler sold off all their factories and rented time on the toyota factory or something

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Thankfully I won't be affected by this as I exclusively buy VIA.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cores are the new ghz.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Cores are the new ghz.

ya Intel is on that poo poo now too

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

well they were desperate for cash and selling the office furniture as firewood wouldn't have been enough

also the radeon 9500 (non-pro) was ironically the most pro card, just a driver mod needed to double your ROP count and bam you got some r300 goodness.

also a monopoly doesn't matter, show me anywhere that the DOJ has rattled sabres about "we are concerned about x86 market competitiveness".

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my amd fx suits my needs still but i wouldn't recommend it to anyone

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my imac has an intel processor hth

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

PowerPC

pram
Jun 10, 2001
HTH. HAND.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
one butan

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Valeyard posted:

no you're allowed to have a monopoly, you're just not allowed to abuse it (also I'm fairly sure "x86 processors" isn't a market, but "processors" in general is)

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Bonfire Lit posted:

no you're allowed to have a monopoly, you're just not allowed to abuse it (also I'm fairly sure "x86 processors" isn't a market, but "processors" in general is)

qft

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
i liked my barton 2800+ but man it felt like putting the heatsink on was going to destroy the motherboard

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Tayne posted:

A Massive Disaster

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

all of my graphics cards have been ati/amd and even though i've never really had any problems with them i'm still not going to buy another one

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sweevo posted:

all of my graphics cards have been ati/amd and even though i've never really had any problems with them i'm still not going to buy another one

same although i had an MX440 at one point

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bonfire Lit posted:

intel has 92% market share

unit prices have risen by 50% since 2007

it's impossible for anyone but amd or ibm to compete due to patent issues. amd is insolvent and ibm had to pay someone to take their semiconductor business off their hands.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 19, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the last time amd was OK computers were still really annoying to build and would have lots of dumb problems esp if you were an idiot like me.

so i'll always remember amd from the lovely era of using off brand mother boards and ram that didnt really work

this was an amd-specific issue

amd was, for some reason, terribly afraid of making their own chipsets. they very much preferred for third parties to do it, to the point where they would stop manufacturing their in-house chipsets after one or two third parties became available. surprise surprise, third parties were loving terrible at it, so nothing ever loving worked

meanwhile in intel land, like 99% of units shipped used intel-designed chipsets

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unit prices have risen by 50% since 2007
I'd like to know the method you used to pick comparable models form 2007 and 2015 because I can't for the life of me figure out how you reached that number

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

amd is insolvent and ibm had to pay someone to take their semiconductor business off their hands.
not intel's fault that amd got rid of all talent and replaced them with mbas though
it's like they decided in 2003 that since they've invented the x64 architecture they could just roll around in the money for eternity w/o doing any more significant development. I mean they haven't made a single good processor since intel released the core series. also

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

amd was, for some reason, terribly afraid of making their own chipsets. so nothing ever loving worked

basically, amd had a flash of inspiration in the early 2000s and then shipped turd after turd ever since

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

Bonfire Lit posted:

a flash of inspiration in the early 2000s and then shipped turd after turd ever since
but enough about my posting,

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buying an amd based laptop pretty much guarantees chip set failure

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
I don't really mind the AMD in my laptop. It runs hot as hell but it suits my needs :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also: cars actually are marketed based on the engine.

like, all the loving time

they literally put a badge on the back of the vehicle if you buy a fancier engine

Intel had plenty of programs like Retail Edge, etc. that were to educate the retail stores about why Intel chips were better... but no one cares. Intel is an ingredient brand and no one really cares about processors in their commodity general-purpose PC. Those who do aren't going to be swayed by some dope in a blue polo, they've already made up their minds.

Just as CPU was an ingredient that only mattered to enthusiasts, the GPUs have been "good enough" for a while now and Nvidia is happy to seek growth in providing a hojillion CUDA-enabled chips to feed ~deep learning neural nets~ on ~the cloud~.

• Locked thread