Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wo_Ejfc5hW8

Carly Fiorina is a woman and also happens to be running for the Republican nomination for president. She is not Sarah Palin and is a super huge business person who will make America great again.

Here is her official campaign site.

She probably would make a better president than most of the top polling GOP candidates. Thoughts?

DutchDupe has issued a correction as of 19:08 on Jul 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
now you're just making them up

Irrational Bees
Nov 2, 2013

by Lowtax
give me her bones so that I may foresee the true GOP candidate

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

...meow?

Very gooood.

I wonder how well this would go over if a male candidate issued a statement like this. Thank god Carly is here to play her roll.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Her name is a made up name that is supposed to be a play on California, right?

e: Er, I mean made up in that she made it up, not her parents

Matey has issued a correction as of 12:33 on Jul 18, 2015

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Carly Fiorina is good, but Meg Hitman is the really funny one imo

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
“I also think the argument for Common Core is frequently, ‘Oh, we have to compete with the Chinese,’” Fiorina said in the interview with Iowa political blog Caffeinated Thoughts.
“I’ve been doing business in China for decades, and I will tell you that yeah, the Chinese can take a test, but what they can’t do is innovate,” Fiorina said. “They’re not terribly imaginative. They’re not entrepreneurial, they don’t innovate, that’s why they’re stealing our intellectual property.”

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
Repubicans will never vote for a woman. Next.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Her presidential campaign is a failure until she produces something on the same level as demon sheep:

I am not accepting lack of budget as an answer for the lack of ads because firstly this is the SuperPAC era and secondly Mike Gravel's 2008 ad probably cost $7 and thats a real contender for best political ad ever.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
She should outsource the VP spot to some dude in India who communicates via Skype and is paid $3 a day. It's a good way to cut costs, she could do that with the various cabinet positions as well.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
The only candidate who'll drive America into bankruptcy faster than Trump.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn't realize demon sheep was a real thing and I thought the otherwise excellent CNN Too Many Cooks thing just made that up to be rAnDoM. Did Keith David do the voiceover to that ad?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
i agree OP! carly for prez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeccAtqd5K8

i don't care if she's canadian she makes good music

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Reminder that while Fiorina was CEO, HP desktop printer drivers literally included a web server.

I don't think this has any real bearing on her political skills, but still: what the gently caress.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Proposition Joe posted:

Her presidential campaign is a failure until she produces something on the same level as demon sheep:

I am not accepting lack of budget as an answer for the lack of ads because firstly this is the SuperPAC era and secondly Mike Gravel's 2008 ad probably cost $7 and thats a real contender for best political ad ever.

was this made by the same people who did the king roy the rat ad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt35BYEOlEw

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
this is a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq5OQafDVxc

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

...meow?

Very gooood.

Fiorina's campaign for senate in 2010 also produced this masterpiece called Hot Air: The Movie where Barbara Boxer mutates through the t-virus or something into a giant, Brave New World blimp that flies across America attacking people with nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJKlc77K5dg

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

...meow?

Very gooood.

Proposition Joe posted:

Are you talking about the ad where he stares into the camera for over a minute then throws a rock into a river and walks away?

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Funny computer

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

DutchDupe posted:

Are you talking about the ad where he stares into the camera for over a minute then throws a rock into a river and walks away?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rZdAB4V_j8

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Technogeek posted:

Reminder that while Fiorina was CEO, HP desktop printer drivers literally included a web server.

I don't think this has any real bearing on her political skills, but still: what the gently caress.

Wait what the. How... Wh...why in the gently caress would you even.... Huh

Also, HP stock like doubled the day she was tossed on her rear end.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

FilthyImp posted:

Wait what the. How... Wh...why in the gently caress would you even.... Huh

It was for the printer control panel.

Hewlett-Packard posted:

The following components are necessary for the current Toolbox to operate:

javaw.exe - Java and Apache Tomcat Web server. This process MUST be running.

hpbpsttp.exe - Proxy Stop application. In Windows 98, this process is named Tomcat Startup. This launches the HP Tomcat Web server, and the HP Toolbox Web application.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
At Hewlett-Packard Fiorina was responsible for the ill-fated merger with Compaq, as well as firing nearly 30,000 employees and sending tens of thousands of jobs oversea. Never lacking in chutzpa, Fiorina celebrated the latter coup as “Right Shoring.” Things got so bad for H-P that in 2002, Arianna Packard, granddaughter of founder David Packard joined with Bill Hewlett, Walter Hewlett’s son, in a proxy fight to oust Fiorina. That moved failed, but in 2005, Fiorina was finally fired, and given a $20-million dollar settlement to just go away. In response H-P’ stock price bounced back by 10% in a single day. About Fiorina’s service at H-P Arianna Packard wrote, “I know a little bit about Carly Fiorina, having watched her almost destroy the company my grandfather founded.”

yeah she seems like a good lady.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SpeedGem posted:

At Hewlett-Packard Fiorina was responsible for the ill-fated merger with Compaq, as well as firing nearly 30,000 employees and sending tens of thousands of jobs oversea. Never lacking in chutzpa, Fiorina celebrated the latter coup as “Right Shoring.” Things got so bad for H-P that in 2002, Arianna Packard, granddaughter of founder David Packard joined with Bill Hewlett, Walter Hewlett’s son, in a proxy fight to oust Fiorina. That moved failed, but in 2005, Fiorina was finally fired, and given a $20-million dollar settlement to just go away. In response H-P’ stock price bounced back by 10% in a single day. About Fiorina’s service at H-P Arianna Packard wrote, “I know a little bit about Carly Fiorina, having watched her almost destroy the company my grandfather founded.”

My uncle was one of the original Compaq employees and was laid off by Carly. It's kinda nice watching her fail at everything.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp

Do you think he regrets going the Dadaist route or is he immensely proud (should be the later). Also lol, .us

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DutchDupe posted:

Holy moly, again I just assumed this had to be hyperbole. Nope.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Ralp posted:

Holy moly, again I just assumed this had to be hyperbole. Nope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRwizmuCnOw

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

drat, Mike Gravel was on one

Good Ol Gravelpit, where'd ya go?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

I expect the value of this thread has increased by at least 10% now that Carly Fiorina has been ousted and replaced with Mike Gravel.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

The last HP printer I had sucked rear end. THANKS CARLY :argh:

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Lord of Pie posted:

The last HP printer I had sucked rear end. THANKS CARLY :argh:

Brother printer = only good printer

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
SEC Charges Hewlett-Packard With FCPA Violations
Company to Pay $108 Million to Settle Civil and Criminal Cases
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
2014-73
Washington D.C., April 9, 2014 —

The Securities and Exchange Commission today charged Hewlett-Packard with violating the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) when its subsidiaries in three different countries made improper payments to government officials to obtain or retain lucrative public contracts.

Hewlett-Packard has agreed to pay more than $108 million to settle the SEC’s charges and a parallel criminal case announced today by the U.S. Department of Justice.

The SEC’s order instituting settled administrative proceedings finds that the Palo Alto, Calif.-based technology company’s subsidiary in Russia paid more than $2 million through agents and various shell companies to a Russian government official to retain a multi-million dollar contract with the federal prosecutor’s office. In Poland, Hewlett-Packard’s subsidiary provided gifts and cash bribes worth more than $600,000 to a Polish government official to obtain contracts with the national police agency. And as part of its bid to win a software sale to Mexico’s state-owned petroleum company, Hewlett-Packard’s subsidiary in Mexico paid more than $1 million in inflated commissions to a consultant with close ties to company officials, and money was funneled to one of those officials.

“Hewlett-Packard lacked the internal controls to stop a pattern of illegal payments to win business in Mexico and Eastern Europe. The company’s books and records reflected the payments as legitimate commissions and expenses,” said Kara Brockmeyer, chief of the SEC Enforcement Division’s FCPA Unit. “Companies have a fundamental obligation to ensure that their internal controls are both reasonably designed and appropriately implemented across their entire business operations, and they should take a hard look at the agents conducting business on their behalf.”

According to the SEC’s order, the scheme involving Hewlett-Packard’s Russian subsidiary occurred from approximately 2000 to 2007. The bribes were paid through agents and consultants in order to win a government contract for computer hardware and software. Employees within the subsidiary and elsewhere raised questions about the significant markup being paid to the agent on the deal and the subcontractors that the agent expected to use. Despite the red flags, the deal went forward without any meaningful due diligence on the agent or the subcontractors.

The SEC’s order finds that bribes involving Hewlett-Packard’s subsidiary in Poland occurred from approximately 2006 to 2010. Acting primarily through its public sector sales manager, the subsidiary agreed to pay a Polish government official in order to win contracts for information technology products and services. The official received a percentage of net revenue earned from the contracts, and the bribes were delivered in cash from off-the-books accounts.

According to the SEC’s order, Hewlett-Packard’s subsidiary in Mexico paid a consultant to help the company win a public IT contract worth approximately $6 million. At least $125,000 was funneled to a government official at the state-owned petroleum company with whom the consultant had connections. Although the consultant was not an approved deal partner and had not been subjected to the due diligence required under company policy, HP Mexico sales managers used a pass-through entity to pay inflated commissions to the consultant. This was internally referred to as the “influencer fee.”

Hewlett-Packard consented to the SEC’s order, which finds that it violated the internal controls and books and records provisions of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. The company agreed to pay $29 million in disgorgement (approximately $26.47 million to the SEC and $2.53 million to satisfy an IRS forfeiture as part of the criminal matter). Hewlett-Packard also agreed to pay prejudgment interest of $5 million to the SEC and fines totaling $74.2 million in the criminal case for a total of more than $108 million in disgorgement and penalties.

The SEC’s investigation was conducted by David A. Berman and Tracy L. Davis of the FCPA Unit in San Francisco. The SEC appreciates the assistance of the U.S. Department of Justice’s Fraud Section and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California as well as the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Internal Revenue Service, and Public Prosecutor’s Office in Dresden, Germany.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

SpeedGem posted:

why did they give her 20 million?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Top City Homo posted:

why did they give her 20 million?

Most executives have a severance package in their contract if it's terminated early. HP was willing to eat that cost to get rid of her.

e: Details: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/12/business/fiorina-exiting-hewlettpackard-with-more-than-42-million.html

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Most executives have a severance package in their contract if it's terminated early. HP was willing to eat that cost to get rid of her.

e: Details: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/12/business/fiorina-exiting-hewlettpackard-with-more-than-42-million.html

talk about merit pay

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

Top City Homo posted:

talk about merit pay

It's the ultimate failing upward.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the free market basically assessed carly fiorina's value to HP at approximately negative three billion dollars

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
the financial unproductive markets only constitute 10% of GDP but hold 40% of the liquid capital in the GDP

our economy is based on non productive paper shuffling

and we are in the calm before the next bubble crash

in fact all economic activity that doesn't account for private debt and unproductive revenue means that we will always crash the economy

think of it like this

people are playing a giant game of poker and borrow from the house to muscle out other players for position

Players bet and crowd out smaller players and some just cash with the borrowed cash and leave with it despite never winning a round, eventually the house shits its pants and calls in its chips in the middle of the game

everyone who is still playing loses and the chips are flushed

they then go back to the house and start over and the ones who cashed out early come in with an early advantage

now you know the game

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Matey posted:

drat, Mike Gravel was on one

Good Ol Gravelpit, where'd ya go?

He went on to bigger and better things:

quote:

In December 2014, he was announced as the new CEO of KUSH, a company which makes marijuana-infused products for medicinal and recreational use, and a subsidiary of Cannabis Sativa, Inc.[196]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

JfishPirate posted:

quote:

In December 2014, he was announced as the new CEO of KUSH, a company which makes marijuana-infused products for medicinal and recreational use, and a subsidiary of Cannabis Sativa, Inc.[196]

My nigga

• Locked thread