Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
I've never actually seen a Cathar playthrough, so G. Normandy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Do not set foot in England unless you have to siege to get a province in continental Europe, conquer your way through Flanders, the various Sunni outposts, and France/Netherlands.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
A. Koln is easiest to take, and I stand by my desire to see the Normans stay out of England.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
One point/story on the Sicilian misadventure: Richard's sister Joan was married to the old king of Sicily, William II, who had died without heirs a year before Richard came to Sicily. Joan supported William's aunt Constance claiming the throne of Sicily, which didn't please the new king Tancred (who was Constance's nephew, but older than her; its complicated). Tancred proceeded to imprison Joan because he feared her support of Constance and her husband Henry VI (a later Holy Roman Emperor).

Cue Richard stopping by in Sicily and demanding not only the release of Joan but every penny of her dowry (to fund his Crusading, of course). Tancred was a bit annoyed at these demands, but when Richard seized a castle and monastery, he began to change his mind. Cue the also restless Philip Augustus finally showing up. The two rowdy crusader armies make the Sicilians even more nervous, and Tancred finally agrees to give Joan and her dowry to Richard. In turn, Philip and Richard recognize Tancred as king, and Richard apparently recognizes his nephew Arthur as heir, with Tancred agreeing to marry one of his daughters to Arthur when Arthur came of age. Supposedly, Richard also gives a sword he claims is Excalibur to Tancred.

After the Crusaders leave, Constance and the new Holy Roman Emperor Henry VI (the same emperor that captures Richard) come in, and Tancred fights back against them, using the Sicilian heat and malaria to defeat the imperial forces. The imperial forces leave due to the heat and sickness (which tends to happen throughout Sicily's history), and Tancred manages to capture Constance, defusing the only claim the empire had on Sicily. Unfortunately, the pope demanded that Tancred be a nice guy and release Constance to his care in return for the Papacy recognizing him as rightful King of Sicily instead of Constance. Tancred reluctantly agrees, and in the process of getting Constance to Rome, imperial knights kill the Sicilians guarding Constance and take her back to Germany, renewing the imperial claim on Sicily. Tancred fights back against rebellious barons and is on the point of winning, but then dies suddenly, a few weeks after his son and heir. Sicily tries to hold off the imperial control by crowning his youngest son king, but they quickly surrender to Constance and Henry. From then on, Sicily is never independent, and is usually under the control of the Holy Roman Emperor.

TL;DR: Richard messed up Sicily just in time for the Germans to take over.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
B sounds good, though the Afghan LP is also Nestorian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Kayten posted:

Stealing Afghanistan AND Nestorians. I'm the worst.

Side note, for all you Socotra-voting weirdos, what do you guys think of modding it to be a merchant republic? Or should I just stick with feudalism?

I don't mind either way, though you haven't played a merchant republic yet, so that could be fun. Plus it might make sense in that you're a tiny island nation that's somehow remained distinct from everyone else, ala Venice.

• Locked thread