Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
This show has gone from just something to watch to being pretty drat good in season two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

wormil posted:

So Blade is a hybrid between a parasite and host -- on what planet does that make sense. At least he killed off the spider children. This show makes even less sense than Zoo but it's more fun to watch.

Quinlan is a hybrid in that he has the white blood but no worms... so no parasite at all. That is why the Master has no control over him.

As far as how thats possible in the book the Strigoi and the parasite all have supernatural origin. So science doesn't apply. but I'm interested to see how the show handles it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Thankfully the show has stayed away from a supernatural component because I would have checked out immediately.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
The city still seems to be functioning pretty normally, despite revealing multiple skyscrapers burning with nothing being done about it. The shows flip-flopping between the city being normal and in chaos is annoying.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All those vampires that climbed up 60 stories to set fire to high rise lofts.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I like how they made a big deal about Eph not being around and Zack being in danger, but who's bright idea (Nora) was it to have Zack outside after dark?

If I was making trips in this situation, I would make sure to time my arrival home to a secure location several hours before the sun was to set. Even more so if I was traveling with a child.

The entire situation was Nora's fault for not taking the situation more seriously.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

It annoys me immensely that the city goes between straight chillin' and total panic apocalypse every other scene.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
Maybe you have to pass through temperature scanners and armed guards to get into the post-apocalypse bar :kiddo:

Don't even try to reason with the science in this show, or books. It gets sort of biblical, kinda, with Sodom and Gomorrah and poo poo in the books but then also is sort of biological. It makes no sense.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

It annoys me immensely that the city goes between straight chillin' and total panic apocalypse every other scene.

the show has a consistent tone problem

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Super Aggro Crag posted:

"Holy crap this apartment block is partly occupied by horrible creatures that thirst for blood!"

"Yes, but would you like to go down the block for a nice tandoori?"

"The city is in flames and it is death, death I tell you, to be outside after sundown!"

"Look I'm just going down to the pub. Back in a minute."

It's madness.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That's NY for you. Probably not too far from how it would be.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Hot drat! I was worried that the writing was going downhill too quickly for the show to be enjoyably bad for much longer, but they really pulled out the stops in this episode. Characters behaved believably, family drama was minimal. Completely loving enjoyable.

Also, is anyone who hasn't read the books wondering about Coco? Is she the agent of a mysterious third player (aside from the master/ancients) trying to flip Palmer to their cause and exploit the outbreak? A journalist trying to break an expose? Or just a 20 something ivy league girl who' legit into old man dong?

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Why does any writer think anyone wants to see family drama bullshit? Children are poo poo. I want to see Zack dead more than most of the vampires.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
True Fact: 999 times out of 1,000, children ruin TV shows. Especially science fiction TV shows. I wish every TV show took place in the "Children of Men" universe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Millions of Crows posted:

Why does any writer think anyone wants to see family drama bullshit? Children are poo poo. I want to see Zack dead more than most of the vampires.

Presumably family drama makes it easier to pass a series pithc past the executives?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blackchamber posted:

Quinlan is a hybrid in that he has the white blood but no worms... so no parasite at all. That is why the Master has no control over him.

As far as how thats possible in the book the Strigoi and the parasite all have supernatural origin. So science doesn't apply. but I'm interested to see how the show handles it.

My personal theory is that the white worms and the parasite are all evolution based. You can imagine that say 50,000 years ago, when man was in small tribes, battling extinction bottlenecks, it would have been handy to have a way to develop supermen who could lead a tribe for centuries, not need food, easily fight off other tribes and sabretooth tigers and poo poo. They'd have it in their own best interests to keep "food" people around. As we see with Eichorst and the Ancients, it's quite possible for them to keep their minds intact. As population rose and they were no longer needed, the "normal" humans would naturally rise up and kill them.

Quinlan is a further mutation.

BTW, for those who still aren't on The Strain Train, here's an article by a guy that gets how awesome the show is:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/08/30/the-strain-why-fx-s-vampire-apocalypse-saga-is-the-best-horror-show-on-tv.html

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Millions of Crows posted:

Zack is such a stupid poo poo. God drat it.

Seriously that loving kid. His character makes total sense as being the son of Eph.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
THAT'S NOT YOUR MOM YOU RETARD, YOU SAW HER DEAD, YOU SAW HER HAVE WEIRD poo poo COMING OUT OF HER FACE, YOU'RE AT LEAST 12, YOU SHOULDN'T BE THIS GOD drat STUPID

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Eichhorst is the only consistently enjoyable thing about this show, I swear. Everyone else is either an idiot, annoying, or forgettable, and I kind of just want to see them all die horribly.

Much like this show that I now hate-watch.

That already got dragged out to three seasons.

:negative:

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Gotta say I liked Kelly looking human again. All those spider children have turned into absolute chumps after their initial introduction.

Eichorist really should be the star. He's just brill.

Also, get hosed Eph. Let your son go and get infected and bomb the city with your pathogen.

Finally, I want more Coco and Dutch but without palmer.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Someone please kill off Eph's kid. Please!? I want Carl from TWD to poo poo on his face.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
That mother character is one of the better actors on the show, so it!s good to have her back.

Unfortunately her role has been reduced to interacting with the awful kid. gently caress.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I fast forward whenever spidemama and her ... spider vamp kids appear, the concept is just too dumb.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

Eichhorst is the only consistently enjoyable thing about this show, I swear.

I'd watch an Eichhorst/Setrakian buddy comedy any day over the show we've got, but this week's episode was fairly decent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

wormil posted:

I fast forward whenever spidemama and her ... spider vamp kids appear, the concept is just too dumb.

Yeah, the clicking zombie trope is just tiresome, and not particlarly well executed.

OTOH, her transformation into a vampire in season 1 was one of the highlights of the series.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Gonz posted:

True Fact: 999 times out of 1,000, children ruin TV shows. Especially science fiction TV shows. I wish every TV show took place in the "Children of Men" universe.

Next time I party I'm just going to focus on getting totally wrecked. You're so wise.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, the clicking zombie trope is just tiresome, and not particlarly well executed.

It works well in The Last of Us (to rather terrifying effect IMO), and not so well in The Strain. Where else have you heard it? I'm sure I've heard it in other movies but I can't recall off the top of my head, other than the gollum dudes in The Descent.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Whispering Machines posted:

It works well in The Last of Us (to rather terrifying effect IMO), and not so well in The Strain. Where else have you heard it? I'm sure I've heard it in other movies but I can't recall off the top of my head, other than the gollum dudes in The Descent.

I can't really name a specific thing off the top of my head, but this sort of "insect noise" is really popular among sound effect people. I wager to go as far as to say I can't think of a specific example because it's so prevalent that a show with alien antagonists that doesn't use the clicking soundboard is a loving exception.

Yeah, it doesn't bolser my case, but I think I wouldn't be so annoyed by it if I didn't have a subconscious memory of it.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
Why does the Master want the kid anyway? Isn't she created to do the special will of the Master? I feel like I missed a plot point there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hepscat posted:

Why does the Master want the kid anyway? Isn't she created to do the special will of the Master? I feel like I missed a plot point there.

Eph is an actual threat. If the Master has him he can force Eph to give up.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

hepscat posted:

Because Eph is obviously the greatest threat the Master has ever faced and the key to destroying him is to turn his kid into a vampire. Then Eph will collapse into a quivering mass of paranoid gelatin while the Master feeds off his lamentations. Because the master is a dick.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I can't really name a specific thing off the top of my head, but this sort of "insect noise" is really popular among sound effect people. I wager to go as far as to say I can't think of a specific example because it's so prevalent that a show with alien antagonists that doesn't use the clicking soundboard is a loving exception.

I was also confused by your comment calling it a trope. But yeah, now I see what you're saying, it does sound similar to the insect noise that's in lots of terrible sci fi. However, I believe this case is a little different as the sound is supposed to be human strigoi echolocation.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, it doesn't bolser my case, but I think I wouldn't be so annoyed by it if I didn't have a subconscious memory of it.

You should try that line in a court at some point.

The clicking noises are definitely not common in vampire stories and in this case they make great sense. The kids were blind, remember? Now they use echo location to be able to move around. Just like a bat! It's actually quite clever.

If they didn't use anything to help them navigate their environment you'd probably go turbo-sperg and yell "the kids were blind! how can they move around like that?! lololol dumb show!", right?

Morkfang fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 2, 2015

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Caryna posted:

The clicking noises are definitely not common in vampire stories and in this case they make great sense. The kids wereblind, remember? Now they use echo location to be able to move around. Just like a bat! It's actually quite clever.

If they didn't use anything to help them navigate their environment you'd probably go turbo-sperg and yell "the kids were blind! how can they move around like that?! lololol dumb show!", right?

Well I for one am glad the writers managed to include that and stop people from calling this a dumb show.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The master had a clear plan in the books. I never grokked the reason from the synopses I read. But a plan is there.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music
I first noticed that monster internal clicking/growling noise in films like 30 Days of Night and Let the Right One In, and now I hear it everywhere. A recent example is the Omec from the TV show Defiance.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
I'm watching season 1 and it is like watching a show of a bunch of incomprehensible idiots fumble around with unfathomable stupidity. Also I'm at episode 7 and I'm pretty sure women are the problem with everything, somehow. Proper Hell is staring straight into the face of every woman in the show and instead of saying "I am going to have to do something about this, that is horrifying," they get angry and cry and refuse to do anything but obstruct and cause drama. There wouldn't be a series of episodes if people did things that normal people do in such circumstances even accidentally; yet everyone is incapable of doing anything even half rationally. Especially women.

The ONLY person in the show that did anything rationally is Eva; and at this point in the show she is undone by her DAUGHTER. You know, to return the kids of the woman that is furiously attempting to obstruct everything productive.

Edit: alternatively the line, "Oh you take everything too personally!!!!" is one of the greatest comedy lines in TV history.

Double Edit: If the old hunter guy had met the Rat catcher and Eva on Day 1 this would have been solved.

Torpor fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 6, 2015

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Torpor posted:

I'm watching season 1 and it is like watching a show of a bunch of incomprehensible idiots fumble around with unfathomable stupidity. Also I'm at episode 7 and I'm pretty sure women are the problem with everything, somehow. Proper Hell is staring them straight into the face of every woman in the show and instead of saying "I am going to have to do something about this, that is horrifying," they get angry and cry and refuse to do anything but obstruct and cause drama. There wouldn't be a series of episodes if people did things that normal people do in such circumstances even accidentally; yet everyone is incapable of doing anything even half rationally. Especially women.

The ONLY person in the show that did anything rationally is Eva; and at this point in the show she is undone by her DAUGHTER. You know, to return the kids of the woman that is furiously attempting to obstruct everything productive.

Edit: alternatively the line, "Oh you take everything too personally!!!!" is one of the greatest comedy lines in TV history.

Double Edit: If the old hunter guy had met the Rat catcher and Eva on Day 1 this would have been solved.

Kid characters are pretty terrible too.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Nice to know Zach now hates himself as much as we hate him :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that like halfway through the second season is when the show gets a proper opening.

• Locked thread