Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hollismason posted:

My favorite series is still the Frankenstein series because Cushing.

Cushing is easily one of my favourite actors. I watched a shitload of Hammer this October to write some articles for a site and any time he popped up I knew I was in for a good time. He's great as a kind, pure-hearted person and great as a total rear end in a top hat but my favourite Cushing is the combo of playful prick that he hits in stuff like The Hound of the Baskervilles and Frankenstein Created Woman.

Das Boo posted:

Chiming in with the TCM crowd. I caught Scream of Fear for the first time and was really surprised it was a Hammer film. It was evidently one of a handful of black and white psychological thrillers they produced and wasn't at all what I've come to expect from the studio.

It did have Christopher Lee, though!

Paranoiac is worth checking out if you haven't seen it. Oliver Reed puts in a bonkers performance that's captivating.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

DeimosRising posted:

Every time I watch the Mummy, I'm like man that's a really cool idea/image/whatever one minute then a minute later I realize I zoned out and started doing the dishes or something. I am at a total loss to explain why I don't like them.

Watched it for the second time in October and liked it a lot more than the first time I saw it. Those sequels though... Yikes.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, movies like The Gorgon, The Oblong Box, their zombie movie I can never remember the name of all do great with atmosphere. The Abominable Snowman is one of the best examples I can think of in that regard.

The Plague of the Zombies

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ramadu posted:

I just watched Quartermass and the Pit and holy poo poo what a ride. Are the other Quartermass movies just as insane and cool?

Basically reiterating what Sir Nose said, but definitely check out the first two and X The Unknown.

I actually kind of prefer Quatermass 2 the best out of the three, but they're all basically neck-and-neck.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Is there a good place to find it? I've been trying to track it down since my huge Hammer binge in October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Ferox13 posted:

The Devil Rides Out needs to get some love. Excellent adaptation of the Dennis Wheatley book of the same name. Chris Lee plays a good guy for a change. The Goat of Mendes scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

The Devil Rides Out is great. It's always refreshing to see Christopher Lee play a good guy (The Gorgon is good for this too, with the added bonus of Cushing as a villain) and it has some dope effects for the time.

• Locked thread