Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The Abominable Snowman of the Himalayas is a great movie and it's about time for me to watch it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Is there a box set or collection or other way for US audiences to get a hold of the whole Hammer Frankenstein saga?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Sir Nose posted:

Unfortunately no, the films were sold to US distributors individually, so US rights are owned by several different studios and there's no way to compile them all into one set.

Yeah, I was looking at Amazon and that seemed to be the case. Same thing happened with the Godzilla series, you have to collect them piecemeal. Ah well.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Hollismason posted:

Also it looks like Shudder has gotten the rights to a good number of Hammer Horror and Amicus horror films as well.

Which ones? Frankensteins and Draculas or some of the lesser-known oneoffs?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, movies like The Gorgon, The Oblong Box, their zombie movie I can never remember the name of all do great with atmosphere. The Abominable Snowman is one of the best examples I can think of in that regard.

Abominable Snowman has incredible atmosphere. It's best watched during a snowstorm. It's even better when you consider that most of the shots were done on a a few soundstages with fake snow. Being able to create such a convincing Himalayan snowscape out of that is a great example of how Black and White can enhance a movie. The soundtrack does a lot of good work there, too.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 28, 2016

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

I've just now started collecting some of these on DVD/Blu-Ray, but I've hit a snag where it's hard to get a hold of DVDs for the Frankenstein series between "Revenge" and "Must be Destroyed." Are those movies essential viewing in terms of having to bridge gaps between the films? If so, can you point a poor colonial towards a place to obtain these pieces of high culture from the Mother Country?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Thanks!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

After some wrangling (and downloading what is probably bloatware), I was finally able to watch the Blu-Ray of Revenge of Frankenstein that I ordered. It's great! Better than the first movie.

E: although I'm confused as to why the synopsis on the box refers to Frankenstein's "devoted dwarf Fritz" when the actual character is merely a cripple, named Karl. :hmm:

additionally, I watched Hammer's The Mummy last night, but I wasn't grabbed by it. So far I've most enjoyed the two Frankenstein films, then the first Dracula, with The Mummy bringing up the rear. I also really love The Abominable Snowman, as I've mentioned before, but it's not quite the same sort of movie.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 13, 2017

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Watching Horror Express again tonight, which isn't a Hammer film of course, but might as well be with Cushing and Lee as the two main stars. It's amazing how fine of a movie you can make on a budget with good actors and a creative take on an old story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

LesterGroans posted:

The Devil Rides Out is great. It's always refreshing to see Christopher Lee play a good guy (The Gorgon is good for this too, with the added bonus of Cushing as a villain) and it has some dope effects for the time.

Another great film for seeing both Cushing and Lee play the ostensible "good guys" is Horror Express. While not a Hammer Film, the presence of both of these actors (along with a bit part by Telly "Ernst Blofeld" Savalas) really elevates this weird Spanish take on the short story that inspired John Carpenter's "The Thing" into a classic.

edit: upon review, I've said essentially the same thing in the past few posts, but given the fact that this thread is bumped on a monthly schedule, I apologize for nothing

• Locked thread