Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

mekkanare posted:

Rise of Nations is a very nice RTS because I am too dumb to scout for resources.

its good fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

trying to jack off posted:

the only good thing about blizzard games are the custom maps people made and even then that stopped at warcraft 3

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
What's a good modern RTS game.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

the only good thing about blizzard games are the custom maps people made and even then that stopped at warcraft 3

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Starcraft 2's custom mode is pathetic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think Blizzard understood the fundamental appeal of Custom maps in Starcraft/War3 which was that most of their customers were children meaning they could only buy like three games in a year so godamnit that money had to last.

Now the player base is a lot older so if someone gets tired of the actual Video Game Starcraft 2 they aren't gonna start playing a bunch of custom maps in desperation they are just gonna buy a new god drat game because they are an adult with money.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

*nods*

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Panzeh posted:

AIDS is better than trying to play RA2 while putting any kind of thought into it.

the AIDS has completely overtaken your brain, go get quarantined at Games

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Men of War is the last good one AFAIK

there's also this thing if you have severe and incurable mental illness, like me

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 21, 2015

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Red Alert 3 is pretty good. Not as fantastic as 2 maybe, but still a lot of fun.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

hellz yeah dota pwned me

too bad they never made a sequel

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
all the good RTS companies are dead like westwood, ensemble, etc. so that basically leaves blizzard, who are completely incapable of understanding why anyone actually liked their games in the first place, and EA, who only care about wringing every last drop out of the C&C IP.

the best thing going for the RTS genre right now are HD remakes of the actually good games. rip

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Wargame's pretty good.

mekkanare posted:

Rise of Nations is a very nice RTS because I am too dumb to scout for resources.

Rise of Nations is pretty fun though lol when i played MP most people played it like simcity and got mad when i attacked them before the modern age.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

there's also this thing if you have severe and incurable mental illness, like me

Sweet, added to my wishlist with the 30 other games I'll never get :smith:

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

i forgot ray wise was in the red alert movies this is loving awesome

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

http://cncnet.org/red-alert-2
soon.....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Are the total war games fun? Or are they even considered RTS games? Like shogun seems cool, if I can use a horde of ronin to slaughter imperials. The scale and spectacle seems cool I've just never played one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

imho shogun 2 is the best one but if you're just in it for the spectacle napoleon, atilla, and maybe rome 2/ medieval are fine

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're very fun to watch but extremely uninteresting to play from what I can tell. In both of the Romes I had more fun playing the strategic TBS map than any of the battles, which were always large army vs large army at pick one: open field, open field with some trees, some kind of village or town

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
You can let the computer auto resolve battles in Shogun 2 if you only want to focus on the map stuff.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
AI Wars is good if you play with a couple of friends well bye!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The only RTS I really ever got into was Age of Mythology but I played the poo poo out of it back in the day

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played a lot of the LOTR RTS because I was young and stupid.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
if you mean battle for middle earth I & II dont worry because they're extremly good poo poo

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Real hurthling! posted:

dawn of war and the rad world war 2 one with the real grand dad sounding name that had the capture points were great compromises between the various sub genres of rts games. there was lots of resource and infrastructure management but also tons of squad management.

company of heroes?

tbh I liked men of war more; stealing as many enemy vehicles as possible is really fun. one of my favorite memories from MP is the guy who ran an armoured car behind our lines, stole a huge anti-air gun, and drove off with it while our infantry fired at him ineffectually. rip...

K. Flaps posted:

You can let the computer auto resolve battles in Shogun 2 if you only want to focus on the map stuff.

does anyone actually try to play total war as a pure turn-based strategy game

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PleasingFungus posted:

does anyone actually try to play total war as a pure turn-based strategy game

Doing this is bad.

What can be kind of fun however is playing it like you are actually, physically the faction leader, meaning you play any battles you are present for and auto-resolve others. It adds an interesting dynamic of balancing where your personal attention is needed versus what can be handled by your lieutenants .

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I started playing Company of Heroes 2 but it's very difficult because without a graphics card, even at the lowest settings, whenever something explodes my game gets very chuggy and messed up

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

imho shogun 2 is the best one but if you're just in it for the spectacle napoleon, atilla, and maybe rome 2/ medieval are fine

that's turn based bitch! idiot!

Larry Parrish posted:

They're very fun to watch but extremely uninteresting to play from what I can tell. In both of the Romes I had more fun playing the strategic TBS map than any of the battles, which were always large army vs large army at pick one: open field, open field with some trees, some kind of village or town

maybe it's just in Shogun cause that's all I've played but while the maps are boring there's enough depth to manuevering around the little napoleonic blocks of dudes that the gameplay still stays pretty varied

Ahundredbux posted:

AI Wars is good if you play with a couple of friends well bye!

I forgot about AI Wars it looks great if you can get into it but the interface actively repulses me

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 21, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
it's not super pretty and it takes some fiddling with but once you figure out that you dont actually need to use ¨90% of it for casual play it's all good

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Anyone play world in conflict? drat that was a good game. And you could call in anything from air recon to artillery to nukes from off map.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Are the total war games fun? Or are they even considered RTS games? Like shogun seems cool, if I can use a horde of ronin to slaughter imperials. The scale and spectacle seems cool I've just never played one.

Shogun 2 Fall of Samurai was awesome because I had my rifle dudes fill a bunch of charging swordsmen with lead

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Real hurthling! posted:

thats too reductive imo. and the word tactics has a turn based connotation. if you want to call them rtt's thats fine but i think they're widely recognized as rts games and arguing the point is more bothersome than accepting that the genre has subgenres.

Pretty sure everyone who played it recognized it was massively different.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jerkops posted:

Sweet, added to my wishlist with the 30 other games I'll never get :smith:

i really like it it's like Master of Orion but realtime and with no limits to the map size

no multiplayer though, which blows

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In Training posted:

Shogun 2 is a really really good game with cool music and a cool strategic system that rests on a well balanced rps relationship between the different unit types.

Rome 2 is not good, but Rome 1 is cool and super fast paced in a fun way, it's all about causing a huge morale shock that routs the entire enemy army.

I like Atilla because it lets you play as nomadic people's who just go wandering all over the map and sacking cities for money which is new and cool.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah the horde/migrator mechanics from Atilla are awesome and the only reason I stand to play that game.

I have more fun in CK2 battles than in Total War battles lmao

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah the horde/migrator mechanics from Atilla are awesome and the only reason I stand to play that game.

I have more fun in CK2 battles than in Total War battles lmao

I'm convinced Groggy stole the migration mechanics on Horse Lords from them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Thug Lessons posted:

Pretty sure everyone who played it recognized it was massively different.

oh excuse me then. sorry, rts thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
starcraft

• Locked thread