Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I decided to just watch the first episode (I just finished Gunbuster) and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's gonna be hard to hold out on the rest until Monday.

You're going to end up bingeing it at the weekend and on Monday night you'll feel like a kid who secretly opened his presents the week before xmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

.jpg posted:

You're going to end up bingeing it at the weekend and on Monday night you'll feel like a kid who secretly opened his presents the week before xmas

As long as you put on a show and acted surprised for mom/dad/uncle srice it's alright.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I won't be able to participate due to being in and out of port and moving soon but I loving love Diebuster.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

In Training posted:

My schedule will be 2 episodes a day starting Friday, it's been a hot minute since I've watched Gunbuster but I did watch Diebuster about 9 months ago. Looking forward to watching that again as well.

I jumped on your Gunbuster wagon. Ep 1-2:

The Good:
-The father intro narration/transition was well done.
-The late 80's style is nostalgically awesome.
-The minor consequence of their ep.2 near light speed travel is perfectly foreboding.
-And speaking of nostalgically awesome...

The Not As Good:
-I like what they're trying to do dramatically, but it's mostly miss (e.g. I keep laughing whenever I watch the "Welcome to Exelion...:gonk:!!!" scene)
-I was hoping the robot designs would reflect a later evolution into EVAs...
-Blue haired badass sounds like she's in her 30s.
-Some jarring BGM transitions.

Misc:
-I'm pretty sure becoming that level of jump-rope badass would have already required heavy lead-boot training...

Davincie posted:

im going to watch gunbuster and diebuster in the hope that possibly a good robot show besides evangelion exists

Does Infinite Ryvius count? (On the topic of jarring music...)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't watched Gunbuster or Diebuster before because neither really seemed like my kind of thing, but I suppose one point of a simulwatch is to watch something you wouldn't have otherwise so I'll give it a shot.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Ferretts posted:

-I was hoping the robot designs would reflect a later evolution into EVAs...

you're loving retarded

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

One of my absolute favorite things about gunbuster is how the Gunbuster itself feels like an outgrowth of classic 50's sci fi designs, all simple shapes and chrome with brightly colored racing stripes and just enough gribling to give it a sense of scale. Its not at all like evangelion's toku-inspired notultramans, and diebuster's designs are equally differentiated from both.

Ferretts
Dec 16, 2009

Uznare posted:

Pardon me good fellow, but I find myself mildly off-put by your philistine lack of appreciation for the classic mecha designs and shocking gap in background knowledge coming into this show.

Well sir, you warm puddle of sunshine you, do forgive my disingenuous EVA design fanboy remarks will you?

Everything Burrito posted:

I suppose one point of a simulwatch is to watch something you wouldn't have otherwise so I'll give it a shot.

I still might not have seen Utena or Tutu without these threads. Color me grateful.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Uznare posted:

you're loving retarded

Hahaha what on earth is even wrong with you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's how Uznare says hello.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Ferretts posted:

-Blue haired badass sounds like she's in her 30s.

I think this is just part of her character, trying to act all grown up and elite.

And the VA really nails the character that Kazumi is based on. Watching Aim for the Ace in the last simul has made me appreciate this Gunbuster rewatch a little more.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

.jpg posted:

I think this is just part of her character, trying to act all grown up and elite.

And the VA really nails the character that Kazumi is based on. Watching Aim for the Ace in the last simul has made me appreciate this Gunbuster rewatch a little more.

Yah I'm glad it turned out that way, it was cool to see such a direct inspiration in action even though it did have some of of the usual compilation issues.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Ferretts posted:

Well sir, you warm puddle of sunshine you, do forgive my disingenuous EVA design fanboy remarks will you?

They're not even close to being designed by the same people.

Like if you're gonna say dumb stuff like that at least look up who did the mechanical design.

~sorry for being so rude~

Uznare fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jul 25, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Srice posted:

Hahaha what on earth is even wrong with you.

he was mean but right.

Sakurazuka posted:

That's how Uznare says hello.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Uznare posted:

They're not even close to being designed by the same people.

Like if you're gonna say dumb stuff like that at least look up who did the mechanical design.

~sorry for being so rude~

Hell, you could have just said "they're designed by different people".

Also I didn't watch Gunbuster last night.
Oops.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even tho there are different designers you can see a shade of Ideon influence in both Gunbuster and Eva designs, the thing really tying all 3 together being the oversized shoulders that go above their head.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Srice you should make this a Gunbuster/Diebuster simulwatch instead. You can't watch Diebuster without Gunbuster! It even has a 2 in its full title!!!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I would so watch Gunbuster a third time.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

Srice you should make this a Gunbuster/Diebuster simulwatch instead. You can't watch Diebuster without Gunbuster! It even has a 2 in its full title!!!

I was mainly thinking of how in the past there had been a simul of Gunbuster so it would be a proper followup of that. If I could actually think through what I'm doing I would have done it differently, but I had actually rewatched Gunbuster recently, wanted to rewatch Diebuster, and then made the thread since I remembered how Diebuster was shot down for a simulwatch in old ADTRW.

Some folks have been watching Gunbuster and posting about it in here at least, so that is good and I encourage people to shotgun through it this weekend if they haven't seen it!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

everythingWasBees posted:

has anyone seen that movie they put out relatively recently that mixes the two?

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Srice posted:

I was mainly thinking of how in the past there had been a simul of Gunbuster so it would be a proper followup of that. If I could actually think through what I'm doing I would have done it differently, but I had actually rewatched Gunbuster recently, wanted to rewatch Diebuster, and then made the thread since I remembered how Diebuster was shot down for a simulwatch in old ADTRW.

Some folks have been watching Gunbuster and posting about it in here at least, so that is good and I encourage people to shotgun through it this weekend if they haven't seen it!

lmao does zorak hate diebuster or something

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

lmao does zorak hate diebuster or something

Mostly Zorak choose candidates and let the thread vote on it. We watched gunbuster paired up with something else, I forget what though. That robot cafe one I forget the name of maybe?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blhue posted:

Mostly Zorak choose candidates and let the thread vote on it. We watched gunbuster paired up with something else, I forget what though. That robot cafe one I forget the name of maybe?

Looking it up it was Blue Literature, which I have not seen but it adapts some good stories so I imagine people had a good time with it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Blue Literature was good, though some stories set better than others

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

[EG]Gunbuster_OVA_01_BD(10bit_720p)[2475E61F] added to your queue.
[EG]Gunbuster_OVA_02_BD(10bit_720p)[2475E61F] added to your queue.
[EG]Gunbuster_OVA_03_BD(10bit_720p)[2475E61F] added to your queue.

:cheers:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_bqv17g9c

F*ck yeah!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

not only has this thread convinced me to rewatch Gunbuster, now i have to watch Aim for the Ace before i can do that

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

I'm about to settle in for the last eps of my rewatch. It's so good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was gonna watch it straight but I can't resist the urge to make gifs of the stuff I like

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

In Training posted:

[EG]Gunbuster_OVA_01_BD(10bit_720p)[2475E61F] added to your queue.
[EG]Gunbuster_OVA_02_BD(10bit_720p)[2475E61F] added to your queue.
[EG]Gunbuster_OVA_03_BD(10bit_720p)[2475E61F] added to your queue.

:cheers:

I got the same one and it looks great.

It's neat that the lady that sings the OP (Noriko Sakai) is also Noriko's voice actress.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 26, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dogsicle posted:

not only has this thread convinced me to rewatch Gunbuster, now i have to watch Aim for the Ace before i can do that

Thanks to Aim for the Ace's Coach I learned that the best way to improve someone's tennis game is to spike balls at their body until they fall down, and then keep doing it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I shoulda watched Aim for the Ace too...

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Srice posted:

Thanks to Aim for the Ace's Coach I learned that the best way to improve someone's tennis game is to spike balls at their body until they fall down, and then keep doing it.

aim for the boob.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

In Training posted:

I shoulda watched Aim for the Ace too...

The compilation movie feels a bit rushed but it's still worth checking it out sometime because the way it's directed is fantastic. Lots of really cool shots, some of which reminded me of Ping Pong.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

http://i.imgur.com/BgSyXiL.webm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gun Bustaaaaaaaaah

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Srice posted:

The compilation movie feels a bit rushed but it's still worth checking it out sometime because the way it's directed is fantastic. Lots of really cool shots, some of which reminded me of Ping Pong.

Agreed. Gunbuster is far better than the Ace movie, but it's interesting watching it again now I know the what inspired the studio etc. It's extra credit.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

In Training posted:

Gun Bustaaaaaaaaah

http://www.infinitelooper.com/?v=7VrDl1RRoaw&p=n#/767;772

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good gif for owning trolls.