Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Is there money to be made in small time special effects makeup? I imagine that even for the finalists it must be hard to get work, because she show keeps putting out seasons like crazy, and there can't be that many jobs as it is at the big movie studios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Shneak posted:

There's a lot of young kids as well.

I've updated the OP with the cast since this thread's still small.

Can we not just do a new thread? It's not like we have to conserve threads, especially for season in TVIV.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If we're re-using this thread I'm just going to re-use my old posts

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ha, I just thought to myself earlier today "I really should check when the next season of Face Off starts" and lo and behold it's just a few days away.

I've been a huge fan for ages but season 8 9 really seemed to drag, let's hope season 9 10 gets some of the old magic back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oasx posted:

Is there money to be made in small time special effects makeup? I imagine that even for the finalists it must be hard to get work, because she show keeps putting out seasons like crazy, and there can't be that many jobs as it is at the big movie studios.

I recall seeing on some cosplayer's Facebook page that their makeup was done by a former contestant, so I imagine there is some kind-of industry for those who move to LA and prove they're not total crap at what they do, but I imagine it's a pretty meager living even if they get picked to do something like work with Ve on a Hunger Games movie.

So Season 10 eh gents? Standard order.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Factor Mystic posted:

Can we not just do a new thread? It's not like we have to conserve threads, especially for season in TVIV.

look at all these posts we got about the new episode of the new season.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I guess new guy Robert Lindsay figured if he went to work for a Hollywood effects studio he'd start hearing a lot of Nazi jokes, so good on him for buying the rounded glasses and wearing all black and leaning into it :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I thought the second place piece was the stronger, the one that came first had a great cowl but the face was really weak. I could see both of them being used on screen but I can't see the winning piece getting any lines or anything.

I like the German guy, I hope he sticks around. No one else really stood out which I guess is a step up after Missy Munster last season.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
I totally agree, I didn't see what they did in the winner last night. However, that worst look was a spectacular fail.

I do appreciate they didn't set them up to struggle right off the bat by adding a "design the quarry for your bounty hunter" to the challenge on the 2nd day or something.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

bigE posted:

I totally agree, I didn't see what they did in the winner last night.

The judges on this show should also look at the costumes on a TV monitor because there's definitely a weird disparity at times where I'm laughing at these goofy rear end creatures they like.

Also the guy going home first for just making a pointless square nose and chin was pretty funny. He's going to be kicking himself for that one for awhile.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The losing makeup looked like a blob of mercury.

Robert, the German guy, definitely stands out the most so far because he's an actual Nazi mad scientist trope.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am cheering for Robert to win the whole thing.

Giga Pet giveaway
Jun 28, 2008

You're Not Welcome?

Shneak posted:

The losing makeup looked like a blob of mercury.

Robert, the German guy, definitely stands out the most so far because he's an actual Nazi mad scientist trope.

Are we sure he isn't Benedict Cumberbatch undercover to research a role? I can't unsee it now that someone made the connection.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

From the moment I saw Greg up on stage in that radioactive green shirt I knew he was getting the axe. I felt bad for him. Dude seemed nice, even if his makeup skills were weak.

This season is already off to a much stronger start. They had a sensible first challenge, the contestants seemed more interesting, and overall it felt like a good return to business. Here's hoping it continues and people tune in. Oh and Sprockets guy is easily the best new contestant, although I'm also partial to the anxious handsome gay dude who couldn't work with Lurch. Dreads lady also gets points for almost kind-of making her dreads look clean and not disgusting.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i didnt have to root for the home town boy long so thats good

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
So hearing Pee-Wee Herman say "Nipple" fifty times in one sentence definitely made my week :allears:

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Oasx posted:

Quite a few of the previous guys have their own makeup effects schools and courses and travel all over the world to teach and lecture. Especially Tate comes to mind in that respect. And Eric Fox seems to be doing OK as well, seeing as he and his wife made the sharks for Sharknado 3 for example.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Respect to Paul Reubens for his insight. Solid week.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I knew that Robert and Yvonne were in deep trouble when Yvonne complained that part of the design "looked a little goofy." THAT'S THE POINT OF THE CHALLENGE, YVONNE.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Which she then proceeded to try and fix by sticking nipples on everything. She does seem like the kind-of person who is really uncomfortable intentionally looking foolish.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I'm surprised white lady with dreads got eliminated. "Board Game Man" was atrocious starting from the complete lack of concept. The crayon guy was really badly painted but they could have gotten away with a slightly better, textural paint job.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Shneak posted:

I'm surprised white lady with dreads got eliminated. "Board Game Man" was atrocious starting from the complete lack of concept. The crayon guy was really badly painted but they could have gotten away with a slightly better, textural paint job.

"Board Game Guy" was hilarious and off-putting. Yellow Crayon Guy was boring and his neck was ripping apart. Demented wins over boring.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It was probably the neck that did it. I remember one year some lady told the judges she ran out of time when putting a glove piece on and they axed her that night. Face Off is super-unforgiving to that sort-of amateurism.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
Don't forget that Jennifer's bio boiled down to "member of the 501st and fan of Bioware". She was fortunate the first week category was Alien Bounty Hunter, but once it got out of her comfort zone, she was done for.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It was the neck because it looked like a wild animal ripped his throat open. Otherwise, crayons are textural, so they could have pitched it like that.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
It doesn't seem like they had a ton of options for the casting this season, lotta rookies like last season. Though so far I have been having more fun watching this one so far than I did with 8. The intro is a bit weird to me though, they show a handful of makeups from the current season, but then quickly start showing the greatest hits like the cellist and cubist makeups... I'm a bit worried they got the episodes into editing and realized they didn't have very many showstoppers? I am both excited for and dreading the Warcraft episode, its gonna be a total cringe-fest during the introduction.

I'm glad the crayon was in the bottom, the look was terrible and somewhat vague. You could have told me it was a crayon, a pencil, mustard... Their application totally failed them, I'm sure they could have done something cooler crayons never look like that except when they're brand new out of the box. Mine always knocked around with each other and picked up flecks of color and got disfigured like so.

Would have gone a long way to break up the nasty solid yellow they slapped on it.

Edit: Just to avoid double posting here, I knew they were in trouble the second they went with the big plastic eyes... Has that ever worked on this show, its pretty much universally terrible. Some really good makeups this week but I gotta say the guest judge/linguist guy looks like he'd give you a dead fish handshake if you met him.

Mr. Owl fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 29, 2016

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
This challenge was cool and produced a majority of good makeups. It seems like a runaway though, Anna and Mel have been in the top looks all three times and Anna has won twice (tonight too, but Yvonne got the credit.)

Giant plastic eyes always look like its from a mask but the neon colours were worse. I'm not a fan of Robert's Mega Man roster either.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
That bottom alien look was... Wow. When Mr. Westmore basically told them to start over in the walkthrough & they didn't do much, they were doomed.

Also, Johnny should probably not get too comfortable, as often as his looks are ending up in the bottom.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The fact that Robert Lindsay is still competing after the flat out atrocities that were Board Game Man and Octo Man blows my goddamn mind. He put a beak on a character who's language couldn't even form those sounds. It's like he was begging to be eliminated.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

AndyElusive posted:

The fact that Robert Lindsay is still competing after the flat out atrocities that were Board Game Man and Octo Man blows my goddamn mind. He put a beak on a character who's language couldn't even form those sounds. It's like he was begging to be eliminated.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if he's a troll and is some out-of-work actor and the whole German thing is a put-on.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Robert is my favourite guy so far in terms of personality so I hope he lifts his loving game real quick.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Not gonna lie, I hate the GAUNTLET or whatever the hell the face appliances only challenges are.

Actually I probably hate both of them because I can't remember what the Gauntlet challenge was but I feel like it was underwhelming last time.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing like giving your Asian makeup a stereotypical Fu Manchu to really set it apart.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Nobody in these competitions know what human skin tones look like or how to do them.

OH MY GOD THAT PUBE BEARD THATS FALLING OFF

Everyone is so shiny.

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah this challenge was loving terrible. All of them look like masks and they all went way to over the top. The dread makeup looks like the monster from Mullholland Drive.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Old man is probably the best, the deliberate african american woman make up could be 2nd best but that wig is terrible.

Forgot about the plain as hell one that Rob Seal made but that's fine if not boring.

Is Mel the one that's been winning all the make ups so far?

How is Mel only safe and doesn't even get a look over? It's the only interesting make up on the stage even if its good or bad. Wanted to hear the judges reactions

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 4, 2016

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Goddamn this an awful challenge. They only had to focus on the face, and somehow hosed it up.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Sunburned rapist cowboy mechanic may be my favorite makeup ever on this show.

The poor model that got put in Indian blackface looked like she wanted to die.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I was amazed that Njoroge could look at his work and think it was good, it was one of the worst things i have seen on the show.. Overall it was a very rough week, but i am happy that Robert made a bit of a comeback.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Focus challenges are hilarious because they get so panicked about painting and not showing edges that it makes it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Ha ha haaaa what were they thinking, there was no way they could push that topic this early in the season and not have a total trainwreck on their hands. At least wait until you've eliminated a bunch more of the less skilled contestants and the rest have gotten into the rhythm of the sculpt/mold/apply cycle under studio pressures.

Mons Hubris posted:

Sunburned rapist cowboy mechanic may be my favorite makeup ever on this show.

It may have been a terrible failed attempt at realistic human makeup but it was an amazing Weekend at Bernie's cosplay makeup. :v:

• Locked thread