Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

First of all, wow. The judges had such a wealth of choices for bottom looks. That poo poo was ridiculous. From burnt Ned Flanders to some of the most hilariously racist depictions of minorities to date. Njoroge has got to be mentally retarded to have come up with what he had.

And drat, Robert really pulled his pants up this challenge. I was sure he was going home before I even knew what he was doing.

All in all I haven't laughed that much during an episode of Face/Off for a long long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was pretty scary how bad these makeups were considering it was a relatively easy challenge.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shneak posted:

The losing makeup looked like a blob of mercury.

Robert, the German guy, definitely stands out the most so far because he's an actual Nazi mad scientist trope.

I've been playing Killing Floor 2 and I keep thinking Robert is Hans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k_2R204tiw

It's kind of amazing

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oasx posted:

It was pretty scary how bad these makeups were considering it was a relatively easy challenge.

It wasn't an easy challenge but it was a challenge that required the contestants to think small-scale, and all of them completely overdid it-- "ooh I'll change their race to something darker how hard can it be?" without even thinking about their edges or laying hair or changing bone structure. It's no coincidence the most successful ones weren't trying to change the skin tone too radically. Face Off has had this problem in the past with other "realistic" or beauty makeups-- the contestants think it's time to go big or go home, but don't realize that it's a test to see that they know how to throttle back and deliver subtlety; a little done really well will outcompete a lot done badly.

Also serious :stare: on the mustache. Seriously what the gently caress was that guy thinking?

It was especially painful because they did the challenge in front of a powerful producer. She definitely came away from that episode thinking "man this is not breeding a great crop of artists."

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 5, 2016

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
Despite the number of unsuccessful looks, I enjoyed the last challenge. It definitely required finesse and restraint that few showed in designing a disguise makeup, and I think the reason so many of them looks so bad comes down to the whole "uncanny valley". Rather surprised that Robert didn't name his character Man-man.

I was somewhat hoping that there would be a successful male to female look attempted, to make up for the botch job Meg and Nora performed on poor Vivienne Pinay last season. Probably for the best nobody attempted it.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
The look on Melissa's face when they said she's safe was golden "WUT?"
She messed up with the top appliance: those straw like eyebrows and eye area too light but that lower face and neck was fabulous. The wrinkling was so lifelike.

They always go OTT in the face only challenges, trying to come up a complex character instead of an everyman. That and most contestants can't get flesh tones right unless they've worked on small scale horror/cadaver/gore makeup as you need to know your skin anatomy at the very least. There was a lot of 'It's soooo orange!' *slaps on more paint* 'Now it's muddy!'

The main thing I took from this episode was that Mr Westmore did prosthetics for MJ so he could leave his house without being hounded!
I'd love to see what Westmore came up with. How simple did he go? new nose + non-vitiligo-depigmented caucasian flesh tone? pale black? looking like a different Jackson brother?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'd have loved to have seen a picture at the end of the episode and it's a mudman.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

n3wt posted:

The main thing I took from this episode was that Mr Westmore did prosthetics for MJ so he could leave his house without being hounded!
I'd love to see what Westmore came up with. How simple did he go? new nose + non-vitiligo-depigmented caucasian flesh tone? pale black? looking like a different Jackson brother?

I remember rumours that Jackson would go out disguised as an elderly white man so he could Jehovah Witness on door steps.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Robert is an international treasure because he's a younger version of the fake German ambassador character they had on The Daily Show a few times, but real.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Robert really is the best reason to watch this season.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
"It's Hans the brain-vörm!"
He really did very little on that makeup except polishing Hans but I hope they keep him around just because I'm starting to think he's just an insane american who's seen too much Hogan's Heroes.
I love the way half the cast was speechless when Lance MF Henriksen appeared. Not whooping or laughing just jaws hitting the floor.
Bet the makeup artists on Millennium had great fun: new corpses every week, some interesting demons too.

http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/photos/spotlight-challenge-foreign-bodies
The chestburster/drill motor gimmick was a nice idea but having it pop out of the ribcage without showing any ribs was amateur hour. The green/blue worm like creature in Rob and Kaleb's (sp?) dude was nice and realistic.

presented without comment:

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
Anyone else grossed out by Melissa's yellow teeth? They're the same color as her hair. :sun:

I'm just watching to see Robert win.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Wrong ones on the bottom imo. Robert should have really been on bottom wasting time molding a rubberduck and soap. I hope they use their save.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Last season they had OK artists that were time-crunched into endless Focus Challenges, and it sucked

This season everyone just sucks and they have three days to suck. They better do another all-stars season because man, I have to say, this season has been tedious to the point of checking out; the whole reason to watch the design is to see cool designs, and I've not seen a SINGLE design I've loved so far.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah the makeups this season seem really slight, especially this week where they seemed to struggle to create a few small appliances.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah the makeups this season seem really slight, especially this week where they seemed to struggle to create a few small appliances.

Everyone is honestly so bad to meh on the scale right now that the only person I even remotely recognize is Robert, and that's only because he's a amusing - he seems firmly in the spectrum of "alright," as far as skills go, which might be enough to survive this season.

Perhaps they've truly run out of people to bring on.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Robert is the most interesting part of this season by far because he is hilarious. Everyone seems to be failing at relatively simple tasks, i don't know if there is simply not enough raw talent left, or they just got a bad batch this season.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Oasx posted:

Robert really is the best reason to watch this season.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

Oasx posted:

Robert is the most interesting part of this season by far because he is hilarious. Everyone seems to be failing at relatively simple tasks, i don't know if there is simply not enough raw talent left, or they just got a bad batch this season.

For the past couple of season this seems to be the case. They seem to be digging for diamonds in a field of coal. In a talent pool that is fairly limited, after a few seasons there is not much to mine in the field.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Geschirrspülmaschine!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Geschirrspülmaschine!
Robert should get his own TV show.

EDIT: When Glenn says to your face that you are a really strange guy, you are certifiably a really strange guy.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 25, 2016

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Now that's how The Gauntlet should be done. Last season's bizarre ranking system was shifty. Granting immunity in each round makes it more challenging throughout. The last challenge was good, and it produced probably the best makeup of the season so far.

I didn't realize how much I liked this cast until the final four. Kaleb deserved to go but I was worried for the three ladies.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Huh, I really expected them to bring back the 'safe' four as assistants for the final round, I guess they really wanted to put them through the wringer.

Shneak posted:

I didn't realize how much I liked this cast until the final four. Kaleb deserved to go but I was worried for the three ladies.

Same, things are really shaping up.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Mel(?)'s literally face-off makeup is the first time I've actually got a genuine horror vibe from this show and she totally deserved that win.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey remember how last season some guy did a Hellraiser/Attack on Titan "muscles on the outside" makeup and we had a brief tangent about how there's no way Glenn didn't recognize the makeup as from Hellraiser despite pretending it was very original?

This past episode he called Mel's makeup really Hellraiser. :smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

But for real this week's Gauntlet was way better. Robert's gimmicks are annoying me, but the rest of the cast is really growing on me which is a huge step up from prior seasons.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Melissa and Rob (but not Mel and Robert) feel like locks for the finals at this point. The Gauntlet was definitely better this time around. The remaining cast has grown on me too, it was pretty rough there for a while though.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am likely dropping the season once Robert is no longer there. I don't care about any of the other people and all the makeups have been really mediocre, I have yet to see anything great this season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Hey remember how last season some guy did a Hellraiser/Attack on Titan "muscles on the outside" makeup and we had a brief tangent about how there's no way Glenn didn't recognize the makeup as from Hellraiser despite pretending it was very original?

This past episode he called Mel's makeup really Hellraiser. :smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

But for real this week's Gauntlet was way better. Robert's gimmicks are annoying me, but the rest of the cast is really growing on me which is a huge step up from prior seasons.

This season has pretty crappy artists but it doesn't reek of producer interference like last season. The Gauntlet last season was the biggest bunch of bullshit ever with it's completely ludicrous scoring system.

This time around, it was wayyyyy better thought out.

Morkfang
Dec 9, 2009

I'm awesome.
:smug:

Oasx posted:

I am likely dropping the season once Robert is no longer there. I don't care about any of the other people and all the makeups have been really mediocre, I have yet to see anything great this season.

I guess you missed Mel's skin-cut see/hear/speak no evil characters then, because for the amount of time they had to get three characters done her result was fun-loving-tastic and camera ready, even though she got the see no evil cut-out the wrong way 'round. With the right grading in post her looks would be terrifying on screen. I'm not sure I could pull the three looks off in that time and I've done some plenty of fx stuff over the years.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Caryna posted:

I guess you missed Mel's skin-cut see/hear/speak no evil characters then

I think it looked good, especially up close, but I liked the idea better than the actual execution.
I do think she is one off the front runners to win the whole thing though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well that was pretty much a Face Off Cliche Roundup episode: a stone-themed makeup with rocks bursting out of her skin, a treebark makeup (with moss hiding the trouble areas on the hands), a half-n-half partial transformation, a cowl with points that mimic a crown, a skeleton face, badly sculpted flames frozen in place ...

I don't think Robert's going to last much longer if he keeps going the way he has.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

so from reading this page i'm guessing they are still out of competent artists? i stopped watching early in last season because the quality of the makeups was so poor

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Face Off contestants really do tend towards the horribly literal when taking inspiration. I really liked the skull head though. Touch alien looking, but effective. My uncharitable thought was that for pretty well each 'beauty'; Dragon Queen, Temptress of the Flame , Wiccan of the Woods etc, their hideous real self should have been short fat aging goth trying to log on to livejournal.

Robert's days as whimsical German are numbered.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Cavenagh posted:

their hideous real self should have been short fat aging goth trying to log on to livejournal.

Guest judge is Missy Munster.

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005

Cavenagh posted:

Face Off contestants really do tend towards the horribly literal when taking inspiration. I really liked the skull head though. Touch alien looking, but effective. My uncharitable thought was that for pretty well each 'beauty'; Dragon Queen, Temptress of the Flame , Wiccan of the Woods etc, their hideous real self should have been short fat aging goth trying to log on to livejournal.

Robert's days as whimsical German are numbered.

I think one or two managed to do "hideous self "and others were still beautiful but evil (or just literally themed) except for Robert who did his classic "slap a sea creature on the head" job. There's literal and there's having an octopus for a head.
There was potential for some real hideousness.. like the shadows could have looked hollow and the necromancer could have looked rotten, the flame looked like a burn victim or sun parched.
I pity the guy who was given emerald queen though, what do you do with that? (short of going classic ugly hag with an emerald in the chest/forehead... that could have been cool if she removed the emerald and there's a rotten area where he heart should be).
Tumblr's where it's at for the wiccans now, so they can reblog 500 pictures of witchy "aesthetic" photos a day. I even used to know a woodsy wiccan who has one: nowadays the look is slim (because vegan) with wildly coloured short hair with random bits shaved, witchcraft symbols as tattoos and your classic floaty goth clothes.

This week's photos:
http://www.syfy.com/faceoff/photos/spotlight-challenge-smoke-and-mirrors

Oh and Hans the brainvörm has his own tumblr http://hansthebrainworm.tumblr.com/ via Robert's twitter https://twitter.com/MMMutant

n3wt fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 5, 2016

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Goodbye, Robert.

Now, go touch your monkey.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

@MMMutant posted:

To all my beautiful fans: I check all your posts tomorrow- because I'm really getting hosed up right now at Cafe Brass Monkey LA! Karaoke!

Robert spending a night doing drunken Karaoke? :allears:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

When asked to make a genie, what does Robert do? Make a cat lady, of course.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
God drat it Robert, you dumb rear end. :mad:

Also if you're going to let your fake German accent slip then loving up the pronunciation on 'Wagner' was probably the worst option possible. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes! That made me certain he was not really German.

• Locked thread