Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Sigma posted:

This isn't bad, but she should try running instead of walking through her spots.

Her movement was kind of awful. She's worlds better than she used to be. Cassie was way better than her though. Sunk costs fallacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

oatgan posted:

charlotte is the diva roman reigns

her spear is considerably better

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

so are Enzo and cass getting the titles in Brooklyn or what

They loving better. I want to know what it's like to be in a building when an audience literally explodes with joy.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

89 posted:

Was I the only one secretly hoping the Cena US Title open would continue so we'd see the unlikely John Cena vs. Samoa Joe match?

After Rollins and/or Sheamus Cena needs to be fed someone. Why not Samoa Joe?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

21 Hoot Salute posted:

We're a week away from Takeover, I'm really excited for NXT in a 13,000 crowd environment.

I'm really curious to see how the crowds will be two nights in a row, the NXT crowd compared to the Summerslam crowd. I wonder if everyone will then be dead for Raw on the 3rd night

Really excited for NXT entrances in a large arena though! Balor, Bailey, etc :swoon:

I'm only going to NXT and possibly Raw (if a friend wants to go and gets tickets). Summerslam is expensive as gently caress and I'll see Brock toss some fucker around at the MSG house show in October. More than anything I wanted to experience Balor's entrance live in an arena before he's ruined. Also, Enzo and Cass have to be on the show in some capacity or the crowd will be rather pissed off. Even if they just do a promo that they're going to the main roster, that's enough. It would be insane for them not to be doing something on the show.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Angular Landbury posted:

Aww yeah, Eva Marie vs Carmella.

I guess we're going to find out how loudly the northeast can boo. Between that, Dana Brooke and Baron Corbin. All that nonsense aside, I am really excited about seeing the show Saturday!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I'm gonna be in section 210 wearing my Double Fine Adventure kickstarter t-shirt cause it's super comfy and I don't own any wrestling apparel. I thought about pulling my really old SA shirt out of the closet but I don't want to take the abuse from my friend or get dirty looks from reddit fuckers. If anyone wants to stop by and say hi that would be nice!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Niwrad posted:

I thought the tag match was really good but I'm a sucker for good tag matches. Alexa Bliss makes a great heel and both teams looked much better than I remember.

It's also dumb that they changed Uhaa's name because Uhaa chants would rule during his matches.

There were a lot of Uhaa chants where I was sitting!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I know I've posted a lot, but this was my first live wrestling event and I'm still really excited from it.

The smartest thing they did was have the first entrance be Enzo and Cass. I couldn't even hear them over the crowd screaming/doing their entrance talk with them. The other massive pops were Blue Pants reveal and Bayley winning. Even though everyone knew both of these things were happening.

The crowd didn't shut up at all. From the moment we started waiting in line to the bathrooms in the arena to the loving train ride home they were chanting. The New Day clap was all over the place. Lots of New Day Rocks chants. When we were walking out of the arena it was determined that it's ok to do a Chris Benoit chant but not ok to do a Hulk Hogan chant. I heard people openly ridiculing a guy who was trying to start a TNA and GFW chant. There were a lot of fat guys with beards wearing KO shirts. There was one guy cosplaying as Owens, with boots, shorts, fake tattoos, the whole deal. I saw a guy cosplaying as Demon Finn Balor as well, with full body paint. The fans were awesome, fun, and all around very nice people and I would absolutely go to another NXT show again.

The only problem is that after 3 hours we were loving tired. There's only so much energy people have. My voice loving hurts today from all the chanting and screaming. I have never chanted or screamed at a public event before in my life but it was impossible not to. loving hell, best $50 I ever spent.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

Hey AlmightyPants (or anyone else in attendance), when they showed the Tough Enough finalists did the crowd boo or cheer? I couldn't hear them over the TE theme music they put over it but it sounded like boos and I found that pretty funny.

They booed the poo poo out of them. They were possibly as unpopular as Eva Marie. But they weren't shown for long.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Jerusalem posted:

TWO Thesz presses, because the first one was just so good.

When this happened, my friend sitting next to me yelled "DO ANOTHER ONE!"

abraham linksys posted:

Heel Alexa Bliss is everything Dana Brooke wishes she could be

Agreed a hundred million times.

abraham linksys posted:

God I hope Emma just canonically won this to zero pop

She did because loving hell it was a clusterfuck and everyone knew something was wrong.

I rewatched parts of the matches and the first thing I noticed was that the crowd noise is nothing like what it was there. It was hard to hear Enzo and Cass because the whole place was going loving ballistic. Everything they said that wasn't a catchphrase was hard to hear over the sound of thousands of people losing their loving minds. And yes, the crowd cooled off as soon as loving Mojo came out. Also, those 4 people in Hype Bros shirts in the front row that Mojo hugged vanished after that match.

The crowd was so much louder for the Eva Marie disaster that it's hard to overstate. I think Graves said boos were raining down. It was more of a flood than a drizzle. I don't think we even heard Carmella doing her entrance because the boos were so loud from Eva Marie. And that match was just as bad on TV as it was live. God, Eva Marie's finish looks like she's doing it underwater it's so slow and sloppy.

The crowd loved Chad Gable for some reason? Maybe because he doesn't have spoiler tags anymore?

Becky Lynch has great music because we all loving sang along to it. She was easily the most over.

The nicest thing about seeing the 4-way live was that I couldn't make out Dana Brooke's face from where I was sitting. It's all swollen and gross. I can't wait for her to get Christian's blue dot.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

And somehow the cartoon that is deliberately drawn to be as shockingly bad as possible isn't as revolting as the reality of Dana Brooke. I don't know what they see in her. She's not pretty. She can't talk. She's bad at wrestling. She's not the most muscular. She's not the biggest. She's not the smallest. I don't get it.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

SamuraiFoochs posted:

When I first saw the vignettes hyping her I thought she was fairly pretty. What the gently caress happened?

Well they are in Florida. Maybe she injected cement or roofing tar or something directly into her face. They do that down there, right?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Angular Landbury posted:

Ok, I'll bite. Who's more muscular?

How about The Delty Diva Becky Lynch? Or Charlotte?

When you see Dana Brooke next to those two she doesn't stand out at all. It's like when they call Ryback The Big Guy and then have him in there with the loving Big Show who is a goddamn foot taller and 200 pounds heavier than him.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
The Usos put the same match on every single time they're on TV. It's pretty much the same exact moves in the same exact order with the same exact outcome. The only match of theirs that I didn't zone out on was the 2/3 falls match against the Wyatts because that was built differently and was actually good.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

The_Rob posted:

Every wrestler is WWE has the same match every time. That's part of the WWE style.

They usually mix it up a little bit. The only exception I've seen were Jericho/Neville and Jericho/Balor from Japan, where Jericho actually did the exact same thing in the exact same order for both, plugging in the gaps with his opponents offense. But those were house show matches and one wasn't even televised.

Every Usos match feels like almost every other Usos match. It doesn't help that they're a tag team of identical twins that do the exact same moves as each other and are completely interchangeable. I hope the injured one comes back fat and does something different because at least it would be something to tell them apart other than which one paints which side of his face. And hell, now they have competition in New Day and the Dudleys, teams with actual distinct characters and personalities and moves.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Eltoasto posted:

Gable and Jordan for WWE tag champs, feuding with Enzo and Cass.
I'm not sure when Enzo and Cass should be called up. They're fantastic promos, but in ring they're dull to mediocre. I saw the Jordan and Gable match from this week and holy poo poo those guys can go.

What I'm saying is please fuse both teams together so we have a perfect tag team.

Defiance Industries posted:

My problem with the Usos is that it doesn't ever matter which one of them is in the ring. If you're playing a WWE video game you could pick the same Uso twice as your tag team and it would be exactly the same as choosing the two of them. They're like Los Matadores but they don't have El Torito to make up for it.

Exactly! The loving Bella twins look different and have completely different moves. No one care about the Matadors but they have a mini in a bull costume who is super entertaining so I kinda don't care. The Ascension has a big guy and a small guy. New Day each look different from one another and have their own moves. PTP is a big guy/small guy team. Cesaro/Kidd was two insanely talented guys together. Lucha Dragons have the big bad flippy dude and the little flippy dude. The Wyatts were the big bald ginger who was bad and the big dark haired man in ragged clothes who was good. Goldust and Stardust each had their own look and things they did and were great up until they weren't.

The Usos are identical twins who look the same and say the same things and do the same moves. I bet you couldn't find anyone who is either a Jimmy or Jey fan. That's great for them because they're always going to be as successful as each other, but it sucks because they're also only going to be as successful as each other. There's no identity to those guys, they're just a brand.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

rovert posted:

If only everyone had a handle on Twitter like Becky does:

When are they going to change her gimmick from "Steampunk" to "Uncle Joke Aficionado"?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Legit question: was NXT Brooklyn the largest crowd Samoa Joe has ever performed for? I assume TNA never had an arena show, right?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Crow and Crews had really good chemistry. And Dana Brooke has go away heat and is no longer orange but instead turning brownish. With gray hair.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Holy moly is right, Bayley, Sasha and Regal all with genuine emotion!

Bayley is going to make so much money when she hits the main roster. Even though the evidence is all to the contrary, I can't believe they can gently caress her up. She's such a simple and likable character. She can feud with Sasha forever, their characters were made for each other. WWE has a literal mountain of merchandise sales as NXT Women's champ and they'd have to openly hate making money to burn it down.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

NickRoweFillea posted:

I dunno, as long as Total Divas reigns I don't think they'll have a spot for her.

They can keep having meaningless matches between the Total Divas cast to further whatever plotpoints E! is trying to push. But I think Bayley might be bigger than them all. She's a plucky, never say die babyface who appeals to everyone all the time. She is going to move mountains of merchandise. When I was waiting in line at NXT Brooklyn, I heard someone say "I've never seen so many guys wearing women's wrestlers merchandise." Realistically speaking, she shouldn't appeal to those sorts of hardcore fans, but she does. Kids loving adore Bayley. She transcends age and sex boundaries. She has slap bracelets and headbands and arm streamers and t-shirts. Realistically, there's very little about her character that can't be turned into merchandise. She comes out to wacky inflatable tubemen and it works perfectly without irony.

The Bellas are 31. They're not getting any younger. They're eventually going to retire and/or have kids. Total Divas isn't going to run forever. Bayley is sort of a female Sami Zayn with John Cena marketability. If she doesn't get seen as such, it's because WWE is willfully blind to her ability to make money for them.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Retromancer posted:

when it's 30 minutes it just makes you wonder why they wouldn't just have a long 30 minute regular match instead of trading falls after 5 minutes like they always do in Ironman matches.

It also allows for a different sort of storytelling. Ideally the heel goes up in wins and the babyface chases after them, trying to beat the clock. It's not just "who will win with their move first". The heel is all cocky because they're up by a lot and that slowly turns to panic as they realize the face is catching up to them. Also each win serves as a sort of reset, for both the wrestlers and the audience. I guess it naturally inserts some of what Austin calls punctuation marks; more commas, periods and such other than just exclamation marks exclusively in the layout. And, per the promo, it plays into Sasha's character perfectly. She wants to beat Bayley as many times as she can to prove that Bayley's win was a fluke. I think that the stipulation makes perfect sense for all the right reasons.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Benne posted:

That's a cool thing to note, no joke.

I was half-joking about Paige being a pothead, but think of her background. She comes from an insane wrestling family and her mom took bumps with Paige literally in the womb. Also she confirmed on the Austin podcast that she has scoliosis, that weird spinal curve that never goes away

If Paige only does weed then we should be thankful that she's not hooked on harder poo poo. Everything about her background and style screams a short career.

Hopefully when she retires from in-ring stuff she has a nice career as a trainer or agent. She seems like she's really smart about the business and doesn't suffer fools or bullshit.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
They're going to go with a crooked ref angle or something to cover up eva marie's inability to kick out at 3? That's clever turning it into an angle, but it makes the ref unlikable too.

The Kana/Asuka angle seems interesting. It might just be me, but I find her broken/incomplete english a much easier thing to listen to than Dana Brooke's voice. Jesus. Emma was a good heel promo.

Also, pleasantly surprised by the dueling promos at the end. All wrestling needs to have poo poo like that.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

sticklefifer posted:

You know what it's like when a bad actor is obviously reading cue cards or is visibly hesitating because they're trying to remember their next line until it hits them half a second too late? Eva Marie's like that, but with everything.

"Oh, I'm supposed to hit my move here."
"Oh, I'm supposed to trash talk."
"Oh, I'm supposed to kick out."

That reminds me, her taped promo was dreadful. Not as bad as she used to be, but still very bad. The worrying thing is that that was the best take. She's just completely lost.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Skaw posted:

she's a japanese wrestling xbox video game reviewer

No, really.

Pssh, like we believe that anyone has an xbox in japan?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Did Kana always wrestle barefoot?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Charles Gnarwin posted:

After Rusev breaking his foot, I'd imagine that shoes will be required for everyone.

Yeah, Rusev now wears booties. I just find it jarring to see people wrestle barefoot.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I know WWE is great at video packages but holy poo poo that Bayley/Sasha package. I was kind of meh about the Takeover but then I remembered how loving awesome their last match was and how we were screaming at the top of our lungs by the end. Now I'm really excited for it, just for that main event.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I also wanted to say that I like all the little things they're doing that are alluding to an eventual Finn Balor heel turn. Black leather jacket, new intro, Balor Club titantron, slightly more heelish manners. If they don't have him as the guy who took out Hideo Itami it's going to be a tremendous letdown.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

VoLaTiLe posted:

I think Crews is pretty impressive in the ring but yea I was thinking the same thing he just walks into the ring with a big grin on his face and murders.

A little bit of a character would help but I totally see him becoming the next NXT champion, they just need to get his character working which they managed with Finn

I don't think he needs to be champion the same way Hideo Itami needs it and Neville needed it. He's certainly at that level, but you take one look at him and you know that he doesn't need the legitimacy of the belt to help him along. Crews does need character though.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Eltoasto posted:

E! likes her, the WWE has obviously cooled on her. Total Divas really reduced her role this season to probably the minimum that E! demands, as it sees her as the star of the show. And I wouldn't be surprised if bringing in Amanda from Tough Enough is a way for them to try to replace Eva. She came to NXT with rumors of challenging for the belt and that has obviously cooled off. The Scoopmeister has said she shows up late or no shows all the time so I wouldn't be surprised if WWE is looking for a way to boot her rear end.

When did rovert say she's late/no shows?

And I think it's a sunk cost fallacy at this point. They have her all over their E! show and ads and Network bumpers for some reason and yet she's never worked a full single match on the main roster and routine botches everything they gave and still give her. Her only asset is that she's hot and she has red hair. She came along at exactly the wrong time. If she was in developmental even 2 years ago she could've made it to the main roster and be tolerated. As it is, she's coming up at the same time as some truly phenomenal female wrestlers who are good looking, can talk, and can wrestle from good to MOTYC matches. But they've already spent a fortune on her and figure they might as well get something in return for it, I guess?

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
For whatever reason the network kept not wanting to let me watch the NXT 24 thing for an hour. I stuck it out and it was great though. I was tearing up during the Sasha and Bayley bits too. Goddamn that was an amazing match and I feel so privileged to have been there live for it.

Did anyone else notice Vince in gorilla applauding?

It's going to be a sad day for NXT when Bayley moves up to the main roster. She really is the heart and soul on NXT. Hell, her character to a certain degree is NXT: a plucky underdog that through talent and perseverance makes herself known to be the best.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

PunkBoy posted:

Sasha gave Izzy her bouquet after Takeover went off the air. :3:

Sasha is amazing. Bayley is amazing. I could watch them feud until they retire and not get tired. I wonder if they needed clearance of some sort for Sasha to literally make a little girl cry for the cameras. Izzy's a trooper for sticking it out though.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Lady Naga posted:

There was no Kliq curtain jerk this time though, Sasha was just really really upset that she lost and any back-patting between the two occurred after the show, in a one-off YouTube interview that wasn't televised.

She was disappointed she lost, but I'm not sure either of them expected the entire roster on the ramp/stage (why was it so different? I'm happy they're not falling on the metal grates but I miss Breeze's entrance runway) and her breaking down crying was genuine emotion, being so happy that she got to have all of these loving amazing matches with her friends and that her peers all hold her in the utmost esteem.

Also it doesn't matter if they broke kayfabe in a youtube video. Everyone who is going to watch that knows that they're buddies and they love working with each other. And it's ok if they're emotional about it. Hell, it's probably better that they let their real emotions through. It gets the audience more engaged and makes the product stronger. Honest to goodness, I liked Sasha before she had the kayfabe-breaking youtube video right after she won the title. She was an excellent wrestler with a cool gimmick. But after I saw that bit, I loved her. As a heel character, she's not able to show gratitude or her passion for wrestling. But breaking kayfabe in that interview, going from the character to the person, I instantly had a human connection with her through my computer monitor.

If you don't like kayfabe-breaking youtube videos, no one is forcing you to watch them folks.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

DEAR RICHARD posted:

So wait, did we like the main event or not? I was too hyped on it to read through whatever poo poo was being talked about.

I almost cried at the end. It was so emotional. :allears:

Everyone loved the main event, although there is some debate as to the post-match stuff and whether or not it was better than their first one. But yeah, the match was amazing and we can all agree on that.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

rovert posted:

Kevin Owens was signed on the basis of a 3-2 vote.

I'm curious as to who voted for/against him.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

achillesforever6 posted:

Tour of the PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25ngt6lr1N4
Goddamn why does that right wing rag Trib Revenue have so much wrestling articles/videos?

I love that Norman Smiley can't remember his password but everyone else knows it. Maybe that's why SDR is the public face of NXT trainers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
After an eternity of promos for Nia Jax, we get the Montgolfier Brothers' hot air balloon in human form.

It was bothering me for the past couple of hours what she looked like and I finally figured it out! Her ring gear is awful, all the pictures of what she was wearing before made her look like a badass, not a centuries old hot air balloon.

• Locked thread