Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pierre Nkurunziza has been President of Burundi since August of 2005 and served two five-year terms since. In April his party announced he was going to run again, because according to them, the first term doesn't count since he was actually elected by the Burundian Parliament (he was the only candidate). Some Burundians disagree with the constitutionality of this move since there have been protests, riots, and even a failed coup attempt by Major General Godefroid Niyombare. There is apparently a link to the Constitution on the Burundi government website but it doesn't go anywhere, and it would be in French anyway. Good luck Burundi :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Their presidential election is TODAY by the way!

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Bombings and shooting in Bujumbura today. I'm guessing a lot of "rebels" (and their families (and their acquaintances (and their neighbors))) are going to feel the wrath of president Pierre Nkurunziza pretty soon.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I like how he was supposed to be the interim president but now he's just like yeah no constitution is changed now bitch.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Equine Don posted:

I like how he was supposed to be the interim president but now he's just like yeah no constitution is changed now bitch.

I don't understand what happened in 2005, why did Parliament elect a President instead of a popular vote? I gather that Nkurunziza's party, the CNDD-FDD, had just gained control of both houses, and what, days later they just decide, hey let's just declare our party chairman as the new President? Why weren't there riots and coup attempts over that back then, instead of now? Or maybe there were (or maybe Burundi has just been sustained rioting and ethnic unrest for decades now :().

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
i support president Nkurunziza over the running dogs of the neo colonialist masters who want to depose his glorious regime.

i dont know where or what Burundi is

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Ralp posted:

I don't understand what happened in 2005, why did Parliament elect a President instead of a popular vote? I gather that Nkurunziza's party, the CNDD-FDD, had just gained control of both houses, and what, days later they just decide, hey let's just declare our party chairman as the new President? Why weren't there riots and coup attempts over that back then, instead of now? Or maybe there were (or maybe Burundi has just been sustained rioting and ethnic unrest for decades now :().

Because it was a transitional government right after the civil war. He was supposed to be temporary.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Equine Don posted:

Because it was a transitional government right after the civil war. He was supposed to be temporary.

I see! I didn't know that lasted til 05 :(

Wikipedia lists Buyoya 1996–2003 and Ndayizeye 2003–2005 as his predecessors but doesn't mention "deposed" or anything like that. But I see that their new constitution wasn't even ratified til January 2005, so I guess today is their earliest opportunity to ignore the term limits. Great job!

And I see Nkurunziza was the only candidate on the ballot in 2010 because the other five candidates were intimidated into dropping out and/or allege the CNDD-FDD was just going to rig the whole thing anyway. Hey you know who else had local elections today, the glorious Democratic People's Republic of Korea. 99.97% turnout rate. This is dumb and it's not even worth bothering to make a joke.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Someone needs to Ntaryamira this guy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Elections decided by machete - better than first past the post?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Did I mention the African Union refused to deploy election observers? (Hint: the chairman is Robert Mugabe)

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Africa literally has a cash prize for statesmen that step down when their term is over instead of changing the constitution or starting a civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006

Lol this owns

Also people in America were literally worried Bush might try to pull the same nonsense since his first term was appointed, not elected

I mean, nobody SANE thought that but I distinctly remember some folks I knew back then legitimately fretting over it

• Locked thread