Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

my psn is moonwalku and i really only play the persona fighter and even then i hardly ever bother playing it. for all i know this might be the last time i look at this thread but if anybody would like to play videogames then hell, maybe we will together.

i am also always up to play extra-rare pc fighting videogame "Gleam of Force" if you happen to find it yourself and figure out how to make it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

PSN: MangaCarta
SteamID: in_training

Ultimax (PS3) and Xrd (PS4) are my games at the mome, i also have KOF98 and XIII on steam but i am hot rear end at them. i know enough to do short hops and have athena roll back and forth across the screen in XIII and ive never launched 98UM. i will be playing SFV tomorrw and am excited for it.

Who do you play, in persona

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

should i buy ultimax at this point btw? i played through the first one and had a good time for the few matches i played, but didnt know if there were a lot of people still online for ultimax

there are never A Lot but it still has enough to find matches during times when westerners actually are awake and playing. off peak hours though the population is basically 0 unless you want to try your luck playing 1-bar connections against the japanese.

also it'll probably pick back up again for a bit if they ever bring patch 2.0 to consoles.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

You should play Ultimax with us tonight

I tried getting GOF to work but I couldn't figure out how to map it for my xbox pad

did you use the virtual joystick mapper program thing that came with the download? i just play it on keyboard so i have to use that, but i think snail got it to work for his pad without needing it. i didnt ask him how he was making it go but he said he was on a controller and it was working

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

Yeah but it wasn't reading inputs

I tried it with kb and couldn't figure out the buttons lol

If there's a list of kb inputs I'll just try it with that next time

it has default kb inputs but they dont make any sense even by the usual standards of small weird japanese games. also for some reason you can't do network play unless the game thinks you're using a joystick, so you have to use that program to simulate a pad unless you can get it to read a controller without using it.

what works for me is using the PPJoyKey one and setting it up like this http://i.imgur.com/85Gxqff.png and then leave that open in the background while playing. and then using the in-game options screen to map those keys to the things i want them to do (i forget if i needed to do that but i did anyway).

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

i play Labrys and Rise because they make me horny.

cool, i dont have anyone i play against who knows rise. and nobody really plays Normal Labrys just in general. we should play the game, now or some other time.

edit: I play Adachi and Shadow Labrys and become uncontrollably horny whenever i see sprites moving around on a screen

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 23, 2015

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

Yeah if I could rebind them to be things that make sense like normal wasd controls it'd be okay

As it is when I tried it I think I could only figure out the directions and the light attack button

there's in-game keybinding but because it has kb defaults for both 1st and 2nd player that are both turned on at all times, it's difficult without having the PPJoyKey thing on becuase the 1p and 2p buttons constantly interfere with each other if you try to remap one to be the other

its kind of broken in all of the ways that arent related to punching each other. just use the weird-rear end chinese joystick simulation program its easier than dealing with the game's actual keys

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

I play Akihiko and Kanji in Ultimax, Kanji's kinda poo poo cuz he depends heavily on burst and meter to do any real damage outside his throws but diving through the air to bash someone's face in feels really good
kanji has fairly strong+huge air normals and the evo competitors who were using him well tended to rely on those more often than either kind of dive.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

i added you and will be playing tonight, starting now ish.

and i as well. i sent you a steam and am the person whose name is moonwalk in japanese characters

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

A man who picks Mass Destruction as the battle theme is a man of fine taste.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

mango gay touchies posted:

I stopped because I got a job but I quit Friday so hey maybe if there's interest I can start something back up

it's very important tot Get Paid but i understand that gaming has to come first

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

autocombo is weird because in addition to being an automatic combo, it gives extra meter and restores some Burst if you do the whole thing through the special attack. i guess to make up for that it does less damage than better combos but its still weird

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

does anybody want to play something on fightcade or maybe some +R on steam

i will play Persona 4: The Fighters - Ultimate Suplex after eating food, if you'd like. or GOF lol, i still want to play more of it

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i found a real world Arcade room with a japanese style cabinet for Garou: Mark of the Wolves about an hour from my home. and i dont live in japan or california

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

the place i found actually did have an XRD machine somehow. full real thing, two-sided sitdown cabinet. i'll be back someday..

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

if rainbow was the one where guile can shoot sonic booms in the air using quartercircle motions and have like 20 of them on screen at once, then, that was a really good game

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

so what was your guys' favorite matches of EVO, this one was one of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r6Ev7FvwtI

probably that Valle match or this one with Misse vs Daigo because its insanely aggressive+fast play for an SF4 daigo match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM78bQLPnIk

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 23, 2015

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

thats a really good match, sf4 is a lot of fun to watch when it isn't a fireball war snorefest

both of them use a raw ultra at some point and thats cool to see happen at that level of play

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

I don't have a link handy but all of Tectaleastside's Ultimax matches before he got eliminated. Also whoever was playing Kanji in the Top 8 when killed someone with an offscreen Cesar grab which I didn't even know existed in the game.

this is recommended viewing if you want to watch even more high-level Persona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DmO_5aRC5Q
(2 hours of casuals between the best US players and some Japanese guys)

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Fell down a cool hole this morning...reading my daily news RSS and there was a short blurb about Pokken Tournament US tests coming to Dave and Busters and the source was /r/Daveandbusters. I thought it was funny that there is a D&B subreddit but I ended up reading the whole AMA with the VP of D&B who mentioned Pokken and his biggest lament is that Americans don't like Project Diva and he wishes he could get Miku games in every Dave and Busters. That's my daily report

lol and hell yeah

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

whats the deal with parries?

parries are neat.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i like jojo's fighting style more than persona 4 arena's

i think it would be good to mix the two. I like some of the stand mechanics but also some of the stuff that personas can do that stands couldn'.t

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

i like dudley and q and ibuki and urien and alex. but im bad at 3s.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

edit: I also like Oro.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

In Training posted:

My strat for using supers is to whiff the motion 2 or 3 times when you're neutrally spaced and then use it while your opponent blocks the entire thing.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP2DX0iyHIY

this is actually really good, im surprised

WWE Superstar Xavier Woods wants to become a tournament level player, and I support him in that.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Sharky since when do you play fightgames?

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

Relatively speaking it is

Persona is incredibly less complicated and more straightforward than Guilty Gear, even though it has more weird little systems like status effects

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

stoutfish posted:

yukari is definitively advanced level difficulty, she is actually impossible to play online

she's plenty playable online because for somebody to get in on her they need to have better blocking and reactions than what an internet connection often allows. if anything she's one of the best characters for abusing latency and netcode

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

also I'd categorize aigis as an Advanced character rather than Intermediate for sure.

an average player could still get something going with her and win matches, but to really be playing aigis as aigis, you need to be fully insane when it comes to understanding and using her huge variety of movement options. And staying on top of her orgia meter management, learning when it needs to be on or off.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

not at all though. it's a four button game but it has a shitton of different mechanics (hops, evasive moves, all sorts of guard cancels and such), all sorts of ways to power up moves, and just, there's a lot there. it also has roman cancels and bursts and pretty much everything guilty has too. and awakening unique supers and all sorts of recoveries.
and status effects.
and then it has stands.
like what part of it is at all simpler than guilty?

I feel like you're getting overwhelmed by the way the game actually presents the number of systems to you (they do it really poorly by overwhelming you with all of them back-to-back-to-back in the tutorial to the point that its hard to remember what most of them actually are). Just try to get a feel for them as you play - stick to the basics and then gradually pick a thing like Allout or dash-roll or whatever and try to start incorporating it into your fights until you're used to using it naturally.

But the main thing is that persona's four button system is way easier to understand than guilty's four button system, imo. It's 2 sets of 2 buttons, with very distinct purposes for each set and relatively few directional normals - there's generally only about 2 ground normals per button (besides normals that only happen during auto) and 1-2 per button in the air, sometimes with the air versions being almost the same thing. Allout is a universal overhead and down+Allout is a universal sweep. And special inputs are immediately obvious: If it's something your character does, it'll have an A and B and AB ("EX", in street fighter terms) version, or if it's something that involves your persona and/or casts a spell, it'll have a C and D and CD (EX) version.

Guilty has four buttons that are basically all just different versions of the same concept (your character swinging a physical attack of varying strengths) or character-specific gimmicks like Ramlethal swords. That combined with the fact that there's often a forward+Button and downforward+Button and sometimes other directional variatons, and the sheer number of different normals in the game makes it feel really unapproachable. And on top of that, some of the specials will only come out with one of those buttons rather than in varying strengths. Maybe this is just my impression of it as somebody who doesn't have the patience to learn a character I don't care about in a game I don't really care about, but there's nothing at all intuitive about the basic attacks and how they control or what button will make them happen or how they'll actually happen once that button is hit. For almost every persona character, it's pretty easy to figure out what somebody did just by watching the gameplay even if you don't specifically know the inputs for that character, but it's not at all obvious when watching a character in Guilty unless you've already spent time experimenting with that character's moves. That alone I think makes it a lot simpler, no matter how many little systems and options they pile on top of the core gameplay.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 30, 2015

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

Danger Time will always be stupid though.

weren't they getting rid of that in the next edition of the game? or did they just decide to keep it

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Also unlike Guilty and BB, there's no guard meters or guardcrush pips or barrier or pushblock of any of that. I mean it still replaces those systems with other stuff like persona cards, but at least you don't have to be concerned with all sorts of weird poo poo while blocking things normally.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Short version of junpei:

Junpei play baseball, using the rules of baseball. Landing a normal or special with the bat is a Single, supers are a Homerun, blocked bats are a Ball, whiffed bats and being hit are a Strike. Getting an Out removes all runners on base.

At 10 runs he enters his super mode and his gameplay becomes about landing sweetspot hits with the bat moves to do big damage and hitstun.

The problem with Junpei is that it is not uncommon to see even fairly good junpei players fail to reach 10 runs before losing a match, or reaching it once they've almost lost, on account of he is so bad without his install. He would probably be a much stronger character overall if playing to 3/5 rounds were the standard rather than 2/3.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Beef Chief posted:

Ironically, I also play Adachi, Chie, and Minazuki the most so it's only fitting my favorite character is mediocre and the other characters I like playing are all really good.

I love Adachi but I wouldn't really characterize him as Really Good, he's more sitting somewhere in the middle. He's insanely powerful when buffed and awakened, but most of his moveset is kind of unsafe and often needs to make really hard reads or spend meter to get in when just bullying people around with jC doesn't work, is one of the more meter-reliant and persona-reliant characters despite only having 4 cards, his defensive/reversal options are assy poo poo without spending meter, and in terms of spacing and zoning and overall neutral game he shares most of Kanji's weaknesses (except with extremely good anti-air).

Like he certainly is very far from Bad, especially because almost nobody in the game is actual bad besides Normal Labrys and some of the shadows, but if I had to make a list I don't think I'd put him in the upper 50% of the non-shadow cast.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 30, 2015

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

My favorite thing about adachi is his anti-air though. Like holy poo poo is he good at punishing most jumps and jump-ins.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I have mexican hands and dont own a stichk

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

stoutfish posted:

when did lordknight become a tierwhore?

iirc he plays Milia and Yu/Margaret in the two current anime fighters. so its probably because of that.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

the picture is from 2012 so i don't know if that's it

Hmm. well whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

do you have ultimax sharky?

wait actually i cant really fight right now anyway, in any game, because i have to work in the morning but i still want to know the answer to the question

• Locked thread