Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monechetti
May 16, 2011
I bought a house last August with an FHA loan. Part of the provision for buying the house was that the roof needed to be replaced. The inspector came out after the previous owner had the roof replaced and gave it a pass and so we were able to get insured and buy the house. Hooray.

Fast-forward to now - the walls in the upper floor are starting to crumble and there's 2 old chimneys that are leaking hardcore because the previous owners just had a few parts of the roof (that you could see from the street) replaced. The rubbed roof is still well over 15 years old and according to the roofer we had up there today "coming up very easily just from me walking on it". The banker said that their appraiser gave it an "average" and so they proceeded with the sale. They are appearing to present the issue like it's completely our problem, when the wording of the paperwork we signed clearly states replacement of the roof as condition of buying, in addition to it needed to have at least 3-5 years of life left per FHA guidelines for us to get the loan. Clearly that's not what happened, but the bank is basically saying "gently caress you" and we don't know what recourse we have at this point. Should we involve lawyers, HUD, and if so, who do we sue? The previous owners, the bank?

I am getting the feeling that we were taken along for a bullshit ride by a handful of groups that simply wanted to make a sale.

Any advice is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
You should ask in this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3131399

faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
Unless you can prove the previous owners knew about some deficiency and failed to disclose it, you have very little recourse. And frankly, the onus is on you to determine the condition of the house, not anyone else. Was the inspector from FHA or your personally contracted inspector? I am no lawyer but if you really wanted to take it far I suppose you could sue the inspector for professional negligence or malfeasance but that seems like a great stretch.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

faarcyde posted:

Unless you can prove the previous owners knew about some deficiency and failed to disclose it, you have very little recourse. And frankly, the onus is on you to determine the condition of the house, not anyone else. Was the inspector from FHA or your personally contracted inspector? I am no lawyer but if you really wanted to take it far I suppose you could sue the inspector for professional negligence or malfeasance but that seems like a great stretch.
I mean, I don't know much about buying a house, but... isn't this pretty much the entire point of hiring an inspector? So poo poo like this doesn't happen, and if it does, you can sue the inspector?

I think you should definitely talk to a lawyer, OP. You should be able to get a free consultation, figure out if you've got a case. Make sure you bring whatever you got from the roofer, as well as all of your sales documents.

• Locked thread