Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

JorahTheExplorer posted:

Was convinced William Regal was the greatest of all time.

I was convinced he was absolute poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
When I started watching wrestling (WCW Thunder (we didn't get Nitro), 2000), I thought the hardcore championship was the most prestigious belt in the company. Probably because it stood out by being the only belt that was contested under unique rules, and because it seemed like the wrestlers were taking a lot more risks to win it than anyone ever did to win the world title. I also thought 'hardcore' was synonymous with 'ultra', 'mega', and other such words, which might've influenced my thinking a bit.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
When I was a kid someone convinced me the Undertaker wrestled with a shirt on because he had a tattoo of a naked lady on his chest and they couldn't show that on tv.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I started watching when the Undertaker had the face mask, and I thought he always wore that. I also thought he, Kane, and Mankind were a super Masked faction.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I believed Marty was the superior Rocker because he had dark hair like myself.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I thought Disco Inferno was cool.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

When I heard those "ultimate warrior died" rumors, another kid convinced me that he wasn't dead, he just quit. Not for the real reasons but because the Macho Man sexually assaulted him, which the kid described as "using your boner as a weapon in a fight."

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Happyman posted:

I thought Hulk Hogan was black because of how insanely tanned he was back in the nWo days.

Brother.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
On that note, I'm a little colorblind so a lot of colors can look different to me or are hard for me to distinguish.

I'm bringing this up because until like last year I swore on my life that Perry Saturn was an African-American gentleman because even in wrestling I've never seen such a deep even tan (without the guy just being orange I guess). He's Italian by heritage so it's not unlikely he was darker than a typical Caucasian to begin with.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

mariooncrack posted:

I thought Disco Inferno was cool.

Me too except also currently.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

So, what dumb things did you used think about wrestling? I don't mean things like thinking it was real, I just mean other dumb little things you used to believe and now feel silly about.
I've talked about this before here, but when Undertaker first came out he would Tombstone a jobber every week on Saturday morning TV and then put them in a bodybag. I really thought he killed a guy every week and wanted to know why it was legal. My dad protected business by telling me "When guys step into the ring laws like that don't apply." I guess when you're 9 this makes sense.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
WEll that's not inaccurate. If wrestling were 'real' then one would imagine it would have legal protection similar to boxing or MMA, wherein if you kill a guy during a fight (and it can be illustrated that you had no desire or motivation to kill him) you're not legally culpable because that's an inherent risk.

Granted if you have a secret move that kills people every week you might get in trouble for that if you refuse to stop using it. That was a storyline in early 1998 WCW, Nash really badly hurt the Giant because he was too big to take the Jacknife safely and this was turned into an angle on TV where the Jacknife is banned and Nash keeps incurring fines because he refuses to stop using it.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

That an Earthquake Splash could break Hogan's ribs.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

5 minutes after I started watching wrestling for the first time my dad came down the steps and said "You know this is all fake, right?" so that was never an issue.

I took things too far in the other direction though. Since it's fake, that means that no one actually gets hurt doing it, right? I even assumed Brutus's parasailing injury was a work.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
There's still people who think Sid breaking his leg live on PPV was a work even though it was a huge disaster because WCW needed him as their top babyface. If you watch the video on youtube a lot of comments are like "that's his boot bending, lol it's so fake"

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I knew it was scripted when I was younger but never figured out how they did blood. I thought that every wrestler would cut themselves and then put scotch tape over it and then when it was time for blood they would pull the tape off.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I knew it was scripted when I was younger but never figured out how they did blood. I thought that every wrestler would cut themselves and then put scotch tape over it and then when it was time for blood they would pull the tape off.

I always heard it was blood capsules that they kept hidden.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

WWF Magazine had some pictures of Wrestlemania 8, including Randy Savage pulling Flair's tights down from the back to pin him. They blurred out Flair's crack and due to my lack of understanding of censorship at that age and the rather seamless way it ended up looking, I thought there was something genuinely wrong with Flair's rear end. I couldn't understand how it was physically possible to be missing so much of your crack, but however it worked, Flair was a victim and it was alarming to me.

Less insane, I used to think that Rick Martel and Sherri were married in real life.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Thauros posted:

I took things too far in the other direction though. Since it's fake, that means that no one actually gets hurt doing it, right? I even assumed Brutus's parasailing injury was a work.
I remember them working the circumstances of the accident for kayfabe though. He was supposedly wandering down a beach doing some soul-searching and suddenly a parasailer crashed into his face. In reality the boat driver was an idiot and took off too fast as he was helping his friend get ready to take off.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Gavok posted:

Less insane, I used to think that Rick Martel and Sherri were married in real life.

My cousin told me they were siblings. That made Summerslam 92 really awkward for me.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
I realised I actually have a good one; I'm not sure why, but I used to think that WCW was just earlier WWF. Probably Hogan's fault. I never saw any WCW, just played the video games, so I figured that all these people I'd never heard of must just have been around years ago.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I thoughts that wins and losses mattered and that there was a ranking system to determine who would be #1 contender for titles ala PWI.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
When the WWF teased Razor Ramon and Diesel were returning in 1995, I truly thought Hall and Nash were coming back because they thought WCW was lame.

Then it was two fake guys and I actually thought "ok this could work!"

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Doo-Wop Duodenum posted:

it's going to get better

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

My cousin told me they were siblings. That made Summerslam 92 really awkward for me.

I thought they were siblings until like two years ago!

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
I remember being so pissed off Mick Foley used his "guest referee one match at Wrestlemania" contract on Vince v Shane instead of y'know THE MAIN EVENT and saving The Rock from being screwed.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

I thoughts that wins and losses mattered and that there was a ranking system to determine who would be #1 contender for titles ala PWI.

watch Evolve

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One of my friends insisted that Goldberg was just a repackaged Warlord.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I was wondering why Hollywood Hogan still played a good guy in his movies instead of being a bad guy!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Happyman posted:

I thought Hulk Hogan was black because of how insanely tanned he was back in the nWo days.

I thought the same thing about Perry Saturn when he jumped with the Radicalz when I was 9.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
This is the best thread.

I was the same as Omni on the first page. When I started seeing ECW pictures in wrestling magazines, I'd never seen gore like that. I'd mostly read WWF magazines prior. One picture of a guy cutting another wrestler's arm open with a pair of scissors struck me particularly hard. It was horrifying and awesome and proof that ECW was real. It had to be real, because the alternative was that he was just letting that guy cut his arm muscles open. How the hell could you do that to someone? How could you let someone do that to you?

Onmi posted:

Turns out, by being a hardass motherfucker.

v Hahaha, I edited that out cause I thought it looked weird, like I was responding to Omni with that, you were too quick for me. Probably also playing a part in that was the likelihood that the guys holding and competing for the title would have to be capable of a fairly credible match.

Perry Normal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jul 25, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Perry Normal posted:

In one of the wrestler auto-bios I remember them mentioning a run-in with a fan who knew it was generally all fake but the title matches were real.

That was common back in the day. People "knew" some of it was fake, but two guys beating the poo poo out of each other for the title or in a big cage match, that poo poo was real.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Numero6 posted:

I was wondering why Hollywood Hogan still played a good guy in his movies instead of being a bad guy!

Didn't he work heel in 3 Ninjas: Thunder Mountain or whatever the gently caress?

Also, my dad isn't a wrestling fan, but he's a firm believer that it's all blood packs.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
TNA was a good promotion at a point in time

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Luigi Thirty posted:

That was common back in the day. People "knew" some of it was fake, but two guys beating the poo poo out of each other for the title or in a big cage match, that poo poo was real.

Quantum Leap had an episode with that line of thinking. Regular matches were predetermined by the promoter, but the title matches were legit.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I dunno if this counts as a "dumb thing I believed" but I would get SO MAD whenever anyone needed a tag team partner and wouldn't choose the Undertaker. He's clearly the best, he's a zombie, never really got pinned. JUST CHOOSE THE UNDERTAKER.

Angular Landbury posted:

When I was a kid someone convinced me the Undertaker wrestled with a shirt on because he had a tattoo of a naked lady on his chest and they couldn't show that on tv.
This is my favorite post in this thread.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
I used to believe smart marks were actually smart.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

I watched inconsistently as a kid, so I legit thought that the Ultimate Warrior suffocated to death in the Undertaker's casket due to never seeing the aftermath until years later.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I always heard it was blood capsules that they kept hidden.

I thought this was the case when I was really little. Although my dad might have told me that to keep a little kid from knowing dudes were actually gushing blood out of their heads on national TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When I watched Stone Cold drop HHH from a crane while he was supposedly still in the car I thought HHH was actually in there and possibly dead. I remember my middle aged neighbor who i'd watch PPVs with (they got them for free) laughing and I thought he was a psycho and I went home traumatized by the whole thing. I was probably like 13

• Locked thread