Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
It's the time of the year where you watch people play games fast and post bad memes in this thread.

Summer Games Done Quick is an annual charity speedrunning marathon brought to you from St. Paul, Minnesota, featuring runners from Speed Demos Archive (SDA), Speedrun.com, SpeedRunsLive and TASVideos. All money donated during the event goes to Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières.

The stream will be running between July 26th and August 2nd, and in that time you'll get to see a lot of cool runs and races.

Links of importance

The schedule can be found at this link. Times are in your time zone and should hopefully be updating as the event progresses.

Watch it at the main site.

If you want to watch in your media player of choice, you can use Livestreamer. How to use it:

quote:

Windows users can find an easy-to-use installer here.
Mac users can run sudo easy_install livestreamer from a terminal window.
If you're a Linux or Unix nerd you can usually find livestreamer pre-compiled in the package system (pkg, apt, pip, or similar).

If its using your OS' default player, and you want it to use something different, what you need to do is set the player location in the config file to use your favorite media player.
Alternatively you can just set up file associations properly.

The config file can be found in:
Windows: %APPDATA%livestreamerlivestreamerrc
Unix-like systems: ~/.livestreamerrc or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/livestreamer/config

This file should contain many options, but one of the first should be something like this:
player=“absolute-path/to/mediaplayer”

Just change this to the absolute path of your favorite media player, remember to remove the hash (#) in front of it, and save it.
Open a command prompt or terminal, enter livestreamer twitch.tv/gamesdonequick best, and that's it. You can replace best with low/medium/high if needed.

If you have any issues, consult the quickstart guide.
If you're using firefox, there's also an add-on that can launch livestreamer for you.

There'll be the possibility to watch runs later on the Games Done Quick youtube channel.

=============

SGDQ: What it is

All money collected during SGDQ goes directly to Doctors Without Borders, with nothing going to anyone participating in the event. It's 100% charity. All attendees (including runners) pay for their own expenses.

SGDQ started in 2011 and has happened every year since, originally benefiting Organization for Autism Research.

As the event grows each year, more work is put into improving the quality of the stream. There's always going to be some hiccups, though, because everyone working with the event is only human. This year a tech crew was actually hired to hopefully ensure everything goes well.

=============

Donations

The main website has its own donation button, which you can click and then specify an amount of money to donate.
You will be able to leave a comment with your donation. During earlier marathons, all comments were read out on stream, but as more and more donations come in each year, it has become impossible to do so. Therefore, there will be a filtering system in place. In general, this is the idea:

quote:

-The program should auto-filter donations that are less than a dollar, but in case if one slips through, filter it out.

-Some people do not want their names read out loud when they donate. There will be an anonymous flag you can check so that the donation reader doesn't read their name by accident (like we have done often in the past).

-Donations insulting someone should be filtered out.

-If a donation is solely twitch faces, hashtags, or just generally spam, then filter it out.

-On that note, if someone donates a small amount of money just to write a mountain of text, then filter it out. We'll be busy enough reading short donation comments. The only exception we should make for mountains of text is...

-Personal stories relating to our cause should be read.

-If a donation comment is creative and funny then it should be read. Just FYI, while some people might find twitch faces funny, they're certainly not creative.

There is also a scrolling ticker for donation comments on the main page.

The donation tracker for SGDQ2015 can be found at https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/16
=============

Prizes

One of the more popular things to drive donations are the donation incentives and the raffle prizes.

When you donate, you can have your donation go towards one of the many donation incentives that are available for different games. This involves naming characters, selecting different modes, in some cases even choosing which game will be played. All the incentives are available to view on https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bids/16

There's also usually prizes for each block, but they're not generally easy to get ahold of this year to show them off in advance. Usually if you win you'll have to wait a while before you get yours, not the volunteers' fault as much as an organization flaw.
=============

FAQ:
Q: What runs should I watch?
A: Mega Man X2 Race, Mega Man & Bass, Tetris Block, Super Metroid.

Also whatever you think might be cool.

People will gush about them eventually and post lists.

Q: Will ____ be there this year?
A: Check the schedule. Sometimes runners can't make it.

Q: So did you hear about the guy who got c---
A: Yes, please continue to post stale memes.

Q: Why isn't ____ on the schedule?
A: Because it wasn't offered/The Run Sucks/There's too many other games already.

Q: Why didn't they read my donation comment?
A: Your comment probably sucked.

Q: Where is this happening? It looks different from last year.
A: St. Paul, Minnesota. More detailed info on the GDQ website.

Uznare fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Looking forward to picking you out in the crowd Uznare-kun. :nyoron:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

"Gotta Go Fast" - Sonic, 2006

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wonder if it will be as boring and static as AGDQ was.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It's ending in Chrono again, which is never a good sign.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
There's going to be a speedrun of Space Station Silicon Valley this year, highlighting the main reason SGDQ is my favorite of the two. Weird, obscure N64 games are my lifeblood.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Doctors without borders? but where am i going to watch awkward nerds deal with sad cancer stories??

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Looking forward to this. The donation incentive/tracker links in the OP need updating though.

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/16

https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/bids/16

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
How does incentives making runs tougher/longer interact with the schedule?
Cause the DS2 incentive could be pretty time-consuming...I know two experienced DS1 runners tried it on a whim during Dreamhack for that game and it took more than twice the time a regular run would (~1:25 normal, 2:58 challenge), and the schedule doesn't seem to accomodate that kinda time-loss.

filthychimp
Jan 2, 2006
Damned dirty ape
The schedule can update in real-time, so that if a run goes over or under its allotted time, it adjusts accordingly. This might mean that a run you're looking forward to might get moved significantly, so keep an eye on the schedule.

Recent marathons have been rather good about keeping time, however.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
looking forward to discussion of cucking as well as multiple discussions of whether or not its depressing to have sad stories juxtaposed with video games

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Insurrectionist posted:

How does incentives making runs tougher/longer interact with the schedule?
Cause the DS2 incentive could be pretty time-consuming...I know two experienced DS1 runners tried it on a whim during Dreamhack for that game and it took more than twice the time a regular run would (~1:25 normal, 2:58 challenge), and the schedule doesn't seem to accomodate that kinda time-loss.

delays are as intrinsic as speedruns to SGDQ

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
also if there is a single game you watch this whole marathon

watch the Tetris block

it will poo poo on your mind

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Donate for my incentives, and the other ones as well

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Rocketlex posted:

There's going to be a speedrun of Space Station Silicon Valley this year, highlighting the main reason SGDQ is my favorite of the two. Weird, obscure N64 games are my lifeblood.
It's so good. I just hope even half the weirdness and charm comes through when being speedrun.

Now we just need a Rocket: Robot On Wheels speedrun and my life will be complete.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alteisen posted:

Wonder if it will be as boring and static as AGDQ was.

I'm probably going to watch a couple runs regardless but seriously hoping that they lighten up yeah. Been watching for a few years now and the last stream was so dull that I couldn't really even use it for background noise.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it got a lot better after the first day, they are probably taking that into account for this one too, but honestly

with the amount of people there at the last one, it couldn't be as casual

imagine all the dumb embarrassing awkward distracting poo poo people did when it was small, now just imagine way more people there with the same climate

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It really depends on the runners and company. Not everyone knows how to be presentable to an audience while still being able to pull off cool tricks. See Yoshi's Island or Super Meat Boy runs from previous *GDQ years versus say the Tony Hawk runs in terms of being interesting.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Eonwe posted:

it got a lot better after the first day, they are probably taking that into account for this one too, but honestly

with the amount of people there at the last one, it couldn't be as casual

imagine all the dumb embarrassing awkward distracting poo poo people did when it was small, now just imagine way more people there with the same climate

Yeah but it wasn't fun coming to the thread and not seeing "why is that person in the back dressed like a witch" or "what the hell is that cat on the sofa" :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mazreal posted:

Doctors without borders? but where am i going to watch awkward nerds deal with sad cancer stories??

Don't worry, you'll still get that here because people don't pay attention to what they're donating to.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Big Jon is the only run that matters. :colbert:

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2O5C2NRWzQ

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!
Not to stir the pot or anything, but I missed it in the last thread, does anyone else feel like Calebhart is kinda douchey

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Observe Me posted:

Not to stir the pot or anything, but I missed it in the last thread, does anyone else feel like Calebhart is kinda douchey

Yes, and he breaks controllers over speedruns so.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mr E posted:

he punches himself and throws chairs. everytime i see him stream i am afraid of what physical harm he will self inflict onto him or even to his lovely gf. when he's angry he's terrifying

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

All I know is zoast is going to be in the Super Metroid race, and I am so hype for that.

Plus he also holds the current world record (not counting the X-Ray glitch), with 42'56". Here's the run, the whole time I was p. much :stare:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

bucksmash posted:

All I know is zoast is going to be in the Super Metroid race, and I am so hype for that.

Plus he also holds the current world record (not counting the X-Ray glitch), with 42'56". Here's the run, the whole time I was p. much :stare:

That was the best run I've seen in a while. I love watching zoast, he's so chill and has great music choice during his practice.

Observe Me
Jan 21, 2006

I know shits bad right now with all that starving bullshit and the dust storms and we are running out of french fries and burrito coverings. But I got a solution!

Mr E posted:

I don't know about that, but that 10 minute douche monologue he did after the Megaman X race at AGDQ 2015 made me cringe quite a bit.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

big john is the superior muscle man and his streams are chill as gently caress

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Fistful of Silence posted:

It's so good. I just hope even half the weirdness and charm comes through when being speedrun.

Now we just need a Rocket: Robot On Wheels speedrun and my life will be complete.

Some day I hope to see a full GDQ speedrun of Iggy's Wreckin' Balls. All tracks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cubey posted:

:agreed:

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

Some day I hope to see a full GDQ speedrun of Iggy's Wreckin' Balls. All tracks.

Be the change you want to see

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Cubey posted:

This is 100% true.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
I am most excited for Kirby's Tilt and Tumble played on a Gamecube.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Yoshi's Island 2 is extremely played out. The rest of the opening day is going to be extremely lethargic because of it.

xtreme

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

caleb frightens me because i keep expecting him to rip a weaker speedrunner in half and drink their marrow for sustenance

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Please let me know what the hot memes I can spam in twitch chat are. I missed the latest meme cycle and it would help if you guys could give me a refresher so I can impress the ladies.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

uhhhh, darude - sandstorm???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph