Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder what the percentage of people who donated thought this was for cancer research.

There were at least a couple of awkward cancer donations read at SGDQ 2015. Which is weird because IIRC it says you're donating to MSF when you make your donation.

Also the Febreeze thing is hilarious and I've been to enough nerd events to wholeheartedly support that rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Idiots or no, charity money is charity money.

This bioshock run has a particularly cringeworthy one but is an awesome run otherwise, this ferret fellow is real good at keeping watchers engaged

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Captain Invictus posted:

I wonder what the percentage of people who donated thought this was for cancer research.

I'm too lazy to check myself but the real humor is the people who manage to find their way onto the donation tracker for past events and donate to them instead.

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness
I mean, I'm sure MSF helps treat cancer too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SeXReX posted:

I'm too lazy to check myself but the real humor is the people who manage to find their way onto the donation tracker for past events and donate to them instead.

I didn't even think that was possible. They leave them up indefinitely?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Captain Invictus posted:

I didn't even think that was possible. They leave them up indefinitely?

It's not possible any more since we added a "locked" flag to past events. Up until a year ago that didn't exist though so it happened a fair bit.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, a minecraft speedrun, I love minecraft but speedrunning a randomly generated game seems a bit silly, especially if you have to lock it down to a specific seed so that it's not random at all. Ferret is a good speedrunner and good at keeping his viewers engaged based on the two runs I've seen of his from this, so he still managed to make it mostly interesting. Kudos to him!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Seems that the entire SGDQ good quality runs have been uploaded in a playlist now.

Were there any bonus streams at all? I vaguely remember someone mentioning in one of the early runs something about Gang Beasts or Duck Game or something?

And this Hotline Miami 2 run is faaaaantastic. Studio on the couch with commentary is great, and the guy trying, and failing, to muffle a "gently caress" was perfect

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Captain Invictus posted:

Seems that the entire SGDQ good quality runs have been uploaded in a playlist now.

Were there any bonus streams at all? I vaguely remember someone mentioning in one of the early runs something about Gang Beasts or Duck Game or something?

And this Hotline Miami 2 run is faaaaantastic. Studio on the couch with commentary is great, and the guy trying, and failing, to muffle a "gently caress" was perfect

The GDQ channel bonus streams are over because of drama and they're a pain in the rear end to set up.
People might have done post-gdq streams at a local's place or something, but if they did there's no central location for them.
e: I spell good.

Moatman fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 15, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That Samurai Pizza Cats race was surprisingly tense. Shame Trogdor choked at the end.

Moatman posted:

The GDQ channle bonus streams are over because of drama and they're a pain in the rear end to set up.
People might have done post-gdq streams at a local's place or something, but if they did there's no central location for them.
Aren't they just for playing games and not necessarily worrying about timeframes? How does drama spawn from just funnin' around?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
When there's 20 people, no problem. Just fun around. When there's 200 people, not so much. Everyone wants in, and that means somebody needs to decide who gets on and who doesn't, which kinda defeats the point.

Also, poo poo costs a ton of money to stay there for an extra day. It was a lot easier when the 4h center would let them stay past their booking, and the streaming setup is a couple capture cards on a guy's computer + a webcam.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Of all the runs from this year I've watched so far, I think this Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 run is going to take the cake. Even the Tetris thing wasn't as enjoyable as this stupidity is.

SpikeVegeta revealing the "Hype vs Silence" donation totals killed me

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Captain Invictus posted:

Of all the runs from this year I've watched so far, I think this Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 run is going to take the cake. Even the Tetris thing wasn't as enjoyable as this stupidity is.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAI had somehow forgotten how great that run was

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Captain Invictus posted:

With the exception of Big Jon this was my favorite one to see live.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

With the exception of Big Jon this was my favorite one to see live.
Yeah I just got to Big Jon's Mario Underworld song and boy howdy, that was a good hard laugh I had at that

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, the Mario 3 race was actually interesting until the dude on the left choked and landed on one of those unkillable chomper plants and never caught up again. Bummer. Those kinds of super close races are the best, but when someone dies suddenly and falls way behind it gets kinda boring. There was the one dude who made a gentleman's agreement to let the other guy catch up a little bit in a previous race to keep things interesting, that was cool.

But then un-bummer because I just saw this thing and it was incredible, they need to do more gimmicky poo poo like this with games that they've played every single GDQ like SOTN and stuff. Spice things up a bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6gayBPA-Sk

"I'd like to give a shoutout to the level 4 Rattata for screwing up my tackle count" got me good

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I liked how many runs were about showing skillful play this year rather than just demonstrating the minimum amount of time it takes to beat the game. Having to defeat Nemesis every time he showed up in Resident Evil 3 and doing a new game run of Resident Evil 4 on professional difficulty made them really fun to watch.

That's not to say using glitches to speed up or skip parts of the game takes away from that. Half-life 2 Episode 2 was also incredible because of how impressive and difficult the glitches were. Pokémon runs are my favourite RPGs to watch because in every GDQ event there's a new route with crazier glitches.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think that's my problem with races...if one guy fucks up that's pretty much it since for the most part these people can beat these games with their eyes closed.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
HOLY loving poo poo THAT MARIO 64 RUN BY CHRISM

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think that's my problem with races...if one guy fucks up that's pretty much it since for the most part these people can beat these games with their eyes closed.

Literally, in the case of the blind Pokémon race.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

Literally, in the case of the blind Pokémon race.

Except for the guy who made no real effort at hiding the fact that he was looking every time he miscounted his steps.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never watched a jrpg GDQ run before because they're always way longer than I want to sit through outside of the Earthbound one, but that Chrono Trigger run was fantastic and some of the glitches, graphical or otherwise, that they showed off were just awesome. That it went MOSTLY according to plan throughout the five hour runtime was pretty impressive too. It was a really nice touch to have the ending screen music continue playing through the GDQ finale.

Tis sad to see it all end though! Can't wait for AGDQ 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

http://groundkontrol.com/2015/09/raiders-of-the-lost-arcade-tetris-the-grand-master-3-terror-instinct/

For anyone else who happens to be around/visiting Portland I just found this out a moment ago. I am so going to go try this (and then cry)

• Locked thread