Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Music

You wake up and find that your hands are bound together. You're riding on a wagon going at a quick pace, and you see that there are other people in your situation. Most of them are asleep, and the ones who aren't don't really look like they're in the mood for speech. You ride along in silence.

You arrive at the gate of a town. The guards at the gate take a few guys from end of the wagon and carry them off through the gate. The driver commands the horses to move and you're back on the road. You're at the front of the wagon, so you'll have to wait a while for your turn to get off.

The sun begins to set as you reach the third town's gate. You're the only one left besides the driver and the horses, so the drivers leads you into town himself. The townsfolk pointedly ignore you as you're taken through winding cobbled streets. The wagon driver stops in front of a building and knocks a few times.

Music

Suddenly, the door slams open and a large man with a waxed moustache drags you inside, puts you in a chair at a table in the corner of the building, which seems to be a tavern, and says:

"What would you like to drink?"

What do you order?

There's an IRC channel for CYOA's and similar games; it's #madgod on irc.synirc.net.

Here's a Spotify playlist of all of the songs so far. I would consider it spoilers if you haven't read the adventure yet.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
"A glass of milk. Make it a double".

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Milk

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
1930 Volgvogan Tropical Island

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Milk and rum.

- 5 gal milk
- 1 gal cuban rum (havana club, bacardi, 151...)
- 1 gal rum (white)
- 5 gal ice cream (vanilla)
- 10 oz powdered cinnamon
- 1 fifth coffee liqueur (tia maria,kahlua)

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

LowellDND posted:

- 5 gal milk
- 1 gal cuban rum (havana club, bacardi, 151...)
- 1 gal rum (white)
- 5 gal ice cream (vanilla)
- 10 oz powdered cinnamon
- 1 fifth coffee liqueur (tia maria,kahlua)

I'm voting in favor of this CYOA staying strictly metric. :colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Theantero posted:

I'm voting in favor of this CYOA staying strictly metric. :colbert:

This forum is imperial :colbert:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

"Boston Club Punch posted:

2 oranges (Seville if you can get them, but you probably can't since the season is well over)
3 1/2 oz. white sugar
1/6 fresh pineapple, chopped
3 oz. raspberry syrup (Ted Haigh recommends Smuckers, and I've had good results with that. You can also use something fancier, like Monin, or make your own)
1 oz. cognac
1 oz. kirschwasser
1/2 oz. Gran Marnier
1/2 oz. dark Jamaican rum (Use something intense like Smith and Cross or Pussers. Failing that, Appleton Estate or Myer's would be fine.)
1 pint dry white wine, nothing oaky
1 liter soda water
1 bottle champagne

Peel the oranges, leaving as little white pith as possible. Trim the pith if there's a lot. Muddle the peels with the sugar and let sit for at least one hour, though longer is better. After the sugar has drawn out lots of oil, add the pineapple to the bowl and muddle it all up in the sugar, then juice the oranges, strain the juice, and add to the mixture. Strain this with a cheese cloth and squeeze to get all the tastiness you can from it. Next add the syrup, the spirits, and the wine, stirring until everything is well combined. This can be bottled and chilled before service, and I recommend making a day or so in advance so you have plenty of time for the peels to sit on the sugar etc.

At the moment of service pour the mixture of fruit, sugar, and spirits (i.e. the stock), the seltzer, and the champagne into an appropriately-sized bowl, stir gently, and add an ice block. Serve in small cups so that they don't get warm before people drain them.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Doesn't have milk :colbert:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Changing vote to Everything combined

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Nyaa posted:

Acceptable

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Nyaa posted:

Why not

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

YOU ARE ALL TRAITORS TO THE CAUSE!

ALL OF YOUUUU!!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Music

You tell him you want some rum, and he says that it'll be just a moment. Wait, you say, could it also have some other stuff in it, too? He says sure. Just wait a bit. You think of something else as he goes to get it and you tell him you want some milk and other stuff too. Maybe some orange juice. The man stares at you for a bit, then nods and starts peeling oranges. You look out the window for a second, then turn back to him and ask him to add a lot of milk. He looks at you, shakes his head, and says that he'll do it but it'll be a while.

You turn towards the window next to you as he goes to get it. You see lightning in the distance.

The other patrons seem not to have noticed your strange entrance, and most just sit and talk to each other or drink quietly. Why were you forced into this tavern? Is this some sort of punishment? You don't remember anything before you woke up this morning, so you can't say for sure. You sit in silence and watch the tavernkeeper mix part of your drink.

Someone knocks on the door; the man puts down his orange peeler and goes over to answer it. He says something to whoever's outside, then drags in a group of three people and puts them at their own table. He takes their order, brings them their drinks, and then tells them that adventuring equipment can be bought at a couple of shops down the road.

The sun's gone down and you've got a few options here. You could stay in the common room, although that might not work out well later when the bartender decides that you can either rent a room or get out. You could actually rent a room, but you're pretty sure that would exhaust the money you found in your pocket entirely. You could also try to leave the tavern, but you might run into trouble with the bartender and whoever brought you here.

What do you do?

The bartender slides you a very large glass of a mixture of liquids that has never before been created. You drink some of it, then set it down. It's a little too much to finish in one go.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

FINISH THE DRINK

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

LowellDND posted:

FINISH THE DRINK

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Nurse our drink all night long. If the bartender asks us to leave, tell him it's rude to send away a guest who's not done with his drink yet. Ask for some peanuts.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
:roflolmao:

Zybourne Clock posted:

Nurse our drink all night long. If the bartender asks us to leave, tell him it's rude to send away a guest who's not done with his drink yet. Ask for some peanuts.
this

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

LowellDND posted:

FINISH THE DRINK

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Music

You look into your drink. It's a strange swirling mix of many kinds of acohol, juice, and milk. You can see shimmering eddies and whorls sprin through it. You shake it a bit and watch it swirl around.

What possessed you to order this? It doesn't taste particularly good, and you knew it wouldn't. How did you even remember the recipes for it when you can't even remember how you got arrested or anything before that? Were you some kind of alcoholic before this? Maybe that's what got you arrested.

What kind of bartender has a waxed moustache, anyway? Maybe he was a boxer before he became a tavernkeeper. He's pretty muscular, so it's not unreasonable that he got too old for the boxing lifestyle and opened a tavern. Maybe that was his real dream all along, and he was just in boxing for the money. At least, that's what you hope. It'd be kind of sad if he had to give up boxing because of an injury or something.

You watch rain drops slide down the window next to you. Two men get into a fight over a bottle that one of them dropped. They could probably learn a thing or two from the barkeeper.

Inside the tavern, the crowd has thinned out a bit. It's quiet; most of the noise is coming from the group of adventurers that got dragged in earlier. They're arguing about pizza and who is and is not going to pay for it.

You drain the last of your drink; your throat burns and your vision's getting fuzzy. You ask the bartender for some peanuts and he obliges.

It's getting late.

What do you do?

You can talk to people, by the way. It works the same as in Paradise Lost, where you post questions and they answer and it takes 0 time in game. Statements and such have to be voted on, though.

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jul 24, 2015

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

We should probably Escape since that is the name of this CYOA and all.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Stumble out the door

The smart thing to do would be to ask some questions and try to understand what's going on. But we're drunk!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
"Bartender, another one of those, please".

Keep drinking until someone approaches us. Or until we pass out in a puddle of our own vomit. Whichever comes first, I suppose.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

activate cyber kidney augmentation to power filter alcohol.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
What was the surrounding terrain like when we were outside?

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Ralith posted:

What was the surrounding terrain like when we were outside?

It's a small town, so mostly buildings and roads and such. The roads are cobblestone and the buildings are mostly made of wood and bricks. The terrain itself is pretty flat, and outside the town are plains and sparse woodland.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Time to leave. You put some money on the counter, get up, and go to the door. It's locked. You try to unlock it, but it requires a key. You turn around to go ask the tavernkeeper about it and you're saved the trouble of walking back to the bar because he's right behind you.

Music

He asks where you're going, to which you reply that you have business to attend to. This is said less eloquently than is represented here due to the beverage you just consumed. The bartender retaliates by asking what business that might be. You curse in your mind. How did he see through your ruse!? You bring out the big guns. What's your business asking my business, you say. Or at least, you kind of say it. That was a pretty hardcore drink. Hey, you made it up, that means you get to name it, right?

What do you name the drink?

After naming the drink, you find that the tavernkeeper has carried you to a bedroom and left you in it. In retrospect, this might be for the best, since you're not sure you could make it across the street in one try right now. However: screw that, freedom! You can figure out how to use the road after you escape. You check the window: Locked, and on the second floor. The door's locked too. You could try breaking the window somehow, but that might get the ex-boxer proprietor of this fine establishment angry. You could also try lockpicking the door. You mean, come on, you were arrested! That must mean you were a criminal at some point, and therefore you must know how to pick locks. It's basic criminology and that is the soundest logic you can remember performing.

Do you try to escape? If so, how? If not, what do you do?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I name it the fro jone imlky orxange

Collect every item in the room.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Collect every item in the room.

You examine the contents of the room.

There's a bed. It looks pretty decent for a tavern bed. A nightstand sits next to it, and on top of that a lantern. Pretty much the only thing you can take is the lantern, unless there's something in the nightstand or you want to take the sheets off of the bed. If you do take the lantern, you'll probably just leave it on the nightstand until you actually leave. You can turn it off to preserve fuel, though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Escape into bed

They're treating us pretty well. Let's not be hasty. Maybe in the morning we can work out what's actually going on here.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Examine nightstand content

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

The mix of milk and alcohol has given us both drunk courage as well as strong bones.

Break the window and jump to freedom.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
fro jone imlky orxange!!

By break the window and jump, theantro means open the window forcefully and tie bedsheets up or whatever to create a rope we can climb some of the way down and jump and roll after that!!

stevey666 fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 24, 2015

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Nyaa posted:

Examine nightstand content

You find a book with a collection of Norse sagas.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

stevey666 posted:

By break the window and jump, theantro means open the window forcefully and tie bedsheets up or whatever to create a rope we can climb some of the way down and jump and roll after that!!

Our drink has given us many things, but the manual dexterity required to make a rope is not one of them.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Read Norse Sagas. Be inspired by Nordic heroism and its tale of 'worthy men'.

Rip shirt off, sing poor imitation of nordic song out loud.

Grab Lantern, it's now my Hammer of Iceland Glory.

When someone come to inspect the noise, club their head hard.

"Invader of mother Iceland has been defeated! We should boast and feast in merry! Come! Toast to my fellow brave man!

Pour some oil on bed sheet, start fire, dance and leave to find food.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007
PLAN NYA

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

The fro jone imlky orxange has given you courage. The sagas have taught you how to wield it. The lantern is but a tool to be used, and in the right hands - YOUR hands - it will be an instrument of freedom. You imagine a suitable song to go with your escape.

Music

Yes! You'll defeat the ex-boxer and take his title! None shall stand in your path; the path of freedom! You hammer at the window lock with the lantern, spilling a bit of oil in the process but breaking the lock! You pull the window open just as the barkeeper - your jailor! - opens the door to check out the commotion. You set the bedsheets aflame with the fires of liberty, throw them at the man and leap through the window!

Thankfully, you land in a bush. Your drunken endurance protected you! You get up and stumble off towards the road. When you reach it, you're momentarily blinded by a bright light. You close your eyes and wait for it to pass, but it persists. You slowly open your eyes.

It's daytime and it's stopped raining. How did that happen? There aren't even any puddles anywhere. Weird. You turn around to look at the tavern… It looks just like it did a moment ago. In fact, it's even raining on the property that it sits on! Through a window you see the barkeeper run to the front door. You prepare to run, but he disappears as soon as he passes through the door!

Now, maybe you've had a bit too much to drink, but that seemed too real. You go closer to the tavern to investigate, but you stop when the barkeeper suddenly reappears at the end of the alley you escaped through. You watch him look around in the bushes, and he runs off in the other direction when he doesn't find you. He disappears again when he reaches the other end of the alley.

Well, that's weird!

What do you do with your newfound freedom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Dig trash for survival gear and consumable

• Locked thread