Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Launch Date: November 17th, 2016
Developer: Frontier Developments

http://store.steampowered.com/app/493340

quote:

Planet Coaster® - the future of coaster park simulation games has arrived! Surprise, delight and thrill incredible crowds as you build your coaster park empire - let your imagination run wild, and share your success with the world.

The current monster of the genre and expected to be the best of the bunch, Planet Coaster has been developed by the same company that did both RCT2 expansions, all of RCT3 and several other unrelated roller coaster games. This game has some SEVERE customization options (to the point that there are currently very few pre-made buildings) and almost 10,000 Steam Workshop items already. If you want to build it, there is a drat good chance you can.

Oh and I guess you can manage the park while you're at it whatever.

Many of these screenshots come from our own Dante80 who is some kind of Coastermancer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Klar9CwhX5o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wSj_bBlWEc

:jerkbag: Yeah but does it have coaster crashes?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-ODtILmVOY

-------------------------------------------------------------

Launch Date: November 29th, 2018
Developer: Texel Raptor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqECo1me0Rs

http://store.steampowered.com//app/453090

quote:

Parkitect is a business simulation game where you must build a successful theme park.

Build the theme park of your dreams, and keep it running! Meticulously design that newest roller coaster, place the rides where you want them to be, and construct scenic structures and objects to make the park beautiful. Let your creativity shine, and when you're finished share it with the world!

Described as a "spiritual successor" to Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 2 and developed by the new team at Texel Raptor. While it is a theme park game like Planet Coaster, it plays differently enough that you could probably buy both and have different experiences with each!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtygNtF0B2E

-------------------------------------------------------------

Launch Date: November 16th, 2016 :rip:
Develop: Nvizzio Creations

http://store.steampowered.com/app/282560/

quote:

RollerCoaster Tycoon World™ is the newest installment in the legendary RCT franchise. This next-generation theme park simulation and building game includes fan-favorite features and incredible new advancements such as stunning 3D environments full of roller coaster thrills, exciting flat rides, eager guests, user-generated content, robust social features, and more – all in one massively fun game!

Having been through 3 or 4 developers at this point, Atari is relying on name recognition to power through these dark times. Probably not worth your time.

These videos are all months old and I can't be bothered to find new videos showing how terrible everything is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-8siQxQ7z4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvkGrBzGyyc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPxT5HH7cLY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjVkXCyfWdc

Chat room: #CoasterGoons on synIRC. If someone wants to make a Steam group I can put that here as well.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I played Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 in high school. Well actually I read about it in PC Gamer for months before I was able to get it for Christmas. I played and played and played even though I wasn't very good at designing things. The game isn't exactly hard but you can end up with some really ugly parks if you don't put effort into it.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 1 and Expansions: Corkscrew Follies/Added Attractions and Loopy Landscapes

Chris Sawyer was working on Transport Tycoon 2 when he had an epiphany: "Roller coasters are cooler than buses!" He changed the game to "White Knuckle" and began working on it with a small team. After a while, Microprose picked them up and changed the name to "Rollercoaster Tycoon".

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and Expansions: Wacky Worlds and Time Twister

By the time this came out I was pretty well done with RCT and had moved on so I never had much experience with it. Most people seem to think of it as more of a refinement of RCT1 than a true sequel.

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 and Expansions: Soaked! and Wild!

A truly 3D sequel with a rad idea; you can ride your coasters in a first person view!

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3D

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile

The usual Mobile Game Based On A Beloved Series that has a cash shop and other garbage, somehow manages to be even worse than the 3DS version. At least that's what I heard, I can't bring myself to buy the 3DS version.

:siren:Stupid 4chan poo poo:siren:

:commissar:

Official Site
Wiki page
RCT Vault Contains scenarios, hints, utilities and more.
RCT Resource
Let's Play of RCT by Control Volume Unfortunately, never finished.
RCTGo
New Element Designs They have tons of amazing rides and parks.

I like spending :10bux: on old poo poo, how can I do that?

Steam Links
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1: Deluxe $5.99
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrills Pack $9.99
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum $19.99

GOG.com
Rollercoaster Tycoon 1: Deluxe $5.99
Rollercoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrills Pack $9.99
Rollercoaster Tycoon 3: Platinum $19.99

:frogsiren:OpenRCT2:frogsiren:

http://openrtc.net posted:

OpenRCT2 is a free open source version of RollerCoaster Tycoon 2. It is strongly based on the original game and therefore looks like, and plays like the real deal. The game is rewritten into a modern language allowing people to extend and improve the game. Just like what happened with Transport Tycoon Deluxe which got remade into OpenTTD through a similar procedure. OpenTTD now has thousands of new future-proof features and OpenRCT2 will walk that path too eventually.

The game is still in development and thus can be buggy – meaning it can (and will crash a lot). There is however a stable version (0.0.2) available to play more or less bug free, you do however need a copy of the original game. (You can buy it at Steam, GOG, or maybe even your local game store) You need this because OpenRCT2 uses the original codes if that part hasn’t been remade, and it also uses the original image files to keep the authentic RCT2 look we all love.

Extra content can be found in our Custom Content where you can choose from hundreds of new rides, rollercoasters and scenarios! You can also download our OpenRCT2 Launcher which carries a lot of extra functions which aren’t (yet) available in the game like an auto-updater so you always play the latest version. Our Launcher also has functionality to sync the amount of played minutes to your OpenRCT.net profile, but even better, it can back up your saved game files to the Coaster Cloud.

Work on this only started sometime in early 2014 so this is the first time I've heard of OpenRTC2 and I'm excited to give it a try.

A Note On Trainers/Cheat Programs:
As far as I'm aware, none of the existing Trainers will work on the GOG/Steam versions of the game. RCT1 is the Deluxe version, which was re-programmed by Chris Sawyer to lockout most Trainers because he considered it a game, not a simulator. RCT2 does come with a sandbox mode and scenario creator out of the box. There is also a save game editor for RCT1 (available here). I have no idea about the state of trainers/cheats for RCT2/3.

scamtank posted:

I just read the OP and... but there totally is a working trainer for the GOG version of Rollercoaster Tycoon Deluxe. The DragonsIOA Trainer works like a charm.

Screenshots (shamelessly stolen from Reddit)

Suran37 posted:

I was going to wait for an official release of OpenRCT2 before making a thread. Glad to see it has one!
For those that still don't know much about it I would check out this link for all of the new features: https://github.com/OpenRCT2/OpenRCT2/wiki/Changes-to-original-game

Highlights:
Windowed Mode and Supports modern resolutions
Multiplayer!
Terrain Generator for the Scenario Builder
Built-In Cheats
Day/Night Cycle
Screenshot entire park with one click

Build Queues along existing paths: :vince:

Freely swap out train cars for any others:

Pretty excited to learn about Planet Coaster, it looks great!

Edit: For the greatest coaster ever made!

Electric Lady posted:

Fossil has an incredible rundown on how scenery affects ride excitement.

Really, there's no reason for his entire site to not be in the first post: http://www.rctmart.com/fossil/

If anyone wants to do a write up on Theme Park, Thrillville, the mobile games or anything else I haven't covered, please feel free!

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Apr 24, 2018

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
This is, no joke, my favorite game series of all time, and I hate what Atari has done to it since 3 (which I think was generally underrated) :smith:

One of the few Kickstarters I've ever backed is a neat spiritual successor called Parkitect. It has a nice style, though the camera angle can take some getting used to:

It's supposed to be in alpha/Early Access by August, dunno if they're holding true to that timetable or not. I'm more excited for it than RCT World, regardless :v:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Huge fan of the original Rollercoaster Tycoon. Sometime in the future I'll revisit the series. Aside from how long it takes and how frustrating it can be to actually build custom coaster, this game is a non-stop rollercoaster ride of fun.

:magical:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It bears mentioning that Frontier Development, the developers of RCT3, announced a game called Planet Coaster at E3 this year. There's not really anything but a teaser trailer yet, though.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I haven't played these games in a really long time.

But the OP seems to be missing a lot of the crazy poo poo people have done with RCT2. You can find some people that have literally spent hundreds of hours on a single park over at nedesigns.com. They also make giant screenshots of their major releases, here's a few full park shots!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Added a few more shots and a link to nedesigns.com

I've always had trouble making coasters that look realistic and fun. I have a bad habit of trying to make everything go faster.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, these people are insane.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 25, 2015

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

When I first played Rollercoaster Tycoon I was 15 and listening to homophobic Eminem songs, so I made a whole "gay park" with just pink terrain, baby blue rides playing cheerful music (and a few fast, black rollercoasters playing rock music thrown in, as "dominant" elements so to speak). I remember there was a pond with swans in all colors of the rainbow and I had sculpted a human rear end into the hills with one of those freefall launch towers emerging from where the anus would be.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

*jumps through the ceiling window cackling madly* AND I NEVER WILL AH AH AH AH

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I can confirm that OpenRCT2 is incredible. It makes running the game windowed trivial, and also adds back some of the missed features from RCT1, like being able to create powered launch coasters that stop in the station, so you don't need track on the back. (There's an option for the RCT2-style launch, too.) Also a lot of nice features like switching the ride test flags back to the RCT1 lightpost, being able to put the finances tab on the top menu, and full customizability of the UI colors. If you're a streamer, the program also has full Twitch integration, which turns your viewers and followers into park guests and gives regular updates on what they're doing in your park.

I wish I were better with terrain. It's very difficult to make the complex structures and realistic park designs like the folks at New Element Designs and very time-consuming, too. But still, it's not too hard to make an attractive looking park, as long as you believe in yourself, and use lots of nice-looking trees and natural features, working well with your landscape. I also like crazy fantasy parks that are really packed tightly. Here are screenshots of some of my parks:

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Does the AI get confused by wide paths? I've been making all mine single square wide so people don't go in circles on 2x2 path bits.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wooper posted:

Does the AI get confused by wide paths? I've been making all mine single square wide so people don't go in circles on 2x2 path bits.

This was a huge issue in 1. From what I remember, the AI basically makes decisions when it reaches a crossroads. On a double wide path, every single tile is a decision to make and the AI flips out.

I think RCT2 fixed this and I know that Open RCT2 did.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Added a few more shots and a link to nedesigns.com

I've always had trouble making coasters that look realistic and fun. I have a bad habit of trying to make everything go faster.

EDIT: Jesus Christ, these people are insane.

The trick to making good coasters is lowering intensity and keeping an eye on the g-forces. If you've ever been on a really fast rollercoaster you may have noticed that going around a turn at high speed can actually become physically painful. This is pretty much what intensity is measuring, and while some guests enjoy higher-intensity rides, pretty much nobody will go on it if it's over 10. You can definitely have really fast parts on a ride and still be below 10 intensity; the trick is making sure the fast parts don't include turns or certain kinds of inversion. Don't put a turn at the bottom of your first drop; put an upward hill and then do the turn. Always bank turns unless it's before any drops and the train is still doing 5mph or it's after a manual brake. The faster you're going, the wider the turn should be. If the g-forces are too high, you've either made one of those centrifuges they train astronauts on or the euthanasia coaster.

It's been a few years since I last got all :spergin: over this game so I can't remember the exact g-force levels that will make people hate your rides, but I want to say it's +/- 2 Vertical Gs?

Wooper posted:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

This was a huge issue in 1. From what I remember, the AI basically makes decisions when it reaches a crossroads. On a double wide path, every single tile is a decision to make and the AI flips out.

I think RCT2 fixed this and I know that Open RCT2 did.

This is fixed in RCT2. The problem in 1 is that guest pathfinding really didn't exist; the way they got around was basically "at every intersection, choose one at random" and they would consider every tile of a wide road to be an intersection with every tile surrounding it, meaning that 90% of the time they'd walk around in circles or walk a distance and then turn around and go back the way they came. In 2, they actually have some semblance of "choose a destination and attempt to go there" so they can deal with 2-wide roads.

In 1 this is partially circumventable with maps, but 1) there's no way to guarantee people will buy them even if they're free, and 2) even then, people have to decide to check the map before they'll start making intelligent decisions, and there's no way to guarantee that either.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 25, 2015

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ark why do you keep showing up in all the threads I read? Are you still stalking me from the Beasts of Unusual Size days?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ark why do you keep showing up in all the threads I read? Are you still stalking me from the Beasts of Unusual Size days?

Maybe I am, what's it to you?

Don't forget to put on that shirt I like before you go to sleep tonight. :unsmigghh:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

President Ark posted:

Maybe I am, what's it to you?

Don't forget to put on that shirt I like before you go to sleep tonight. :unsmigghh:

But it chafes my nipples...

I've had some time to mess around with OpenRCT2 and it is, in fact, great.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 9, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
We have not one, or more likely zero, but three park management sims coming out in the next year or so. I could not be more stoked, RCT is what infected me with that horrible disease that has grown into Anno and Dwarf Fortress and poo poo, and maybe one of them will be good. Maybe.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

RCT is probably the single game/series I have sunk the most hours into over the course of my entire life. I'm still absurdly terrible at it. :(

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's like me and Fister Roboto, guy is everywhere :tinfoil:

Anyways, what a wonderful thread to see. I had no idea there was an Open RCT project! I am monumentally poo poo at the RCT series but I love it nonetheless, so I'm sure I'll be getting in on this real soon.

These guys at nedesigns are insane, it's like a whole community of Magnasanti-makers.

e; Control Volume finish your LP. I paid ten American dollars for this place and I'm determined to get my money's worth, damnit. :colbert:

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 1, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How fleshed out is Open RCT? I looked at the wiki and it doesn't seem all that compelling yet?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Avocados posted:

How fleshed out is Open RCT? I looked at the wiki and it doesn't seem all that compelling yet?

Windowed mooooooooooooooooooooooooode.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

I once played OpenRCT2.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dukka posted:

I once played OpenRCT2.

beautiful

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
Didn't know about OpenRCT2. Awesome! Can you import custom scenarios from RCT2?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dukka posted:

I once played OpenRCT2.

if you don't do things like this for every ride in roller coaster tycoon, well, i just don't even know what to say...

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I really like RCT1 but I never gave the sequel a shot because I heard that the scenarios were poo poo (yes this kind of thing does matter to me, after playing most of RCT1 I think I concluded that Sawyer has a point, a directed experience with clear goals and a park with a lot of personality in terms of terrain and theme are what really made me find RCT a satisfying and deep game even if there is no real sandbox mode), But I remember hearing that there was a way to import the old scenarios from the first game into the sequel while making use of the new features, does anybody know anything else about this?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

a quick google search brings up this
http://www.reddit.com/r/rct/comments/1h93gx/more_exact_recreations_of_rct1_scenarios_for_rct2/

assuming these are the same ones that i used a longass time ago, they're pretty exact, the one major difference though is i think you're locked into either charging a park entrance fee or a ride ticket fee, you're not allowed to do both

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Control Volume posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/rct/comments/1h93gx/more_exact_recreations_of_rct1_scenarios_for_rct2/

assuming these are the same ones that i used a longass time ago, they're pretty exact, the one major difference though is i think you're locked into either charging a park entrance fee or a ride ticket fee, you're not allowed to do both
I've used this for RCT2, I find it works well.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I'm super glad OpenRCT2 exists and I hadn't heard of it until now, either. I'm just not sure if getting it to work on OSX is feasible at the moment. It probably isn't.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Control Volume posted:

Oh so its more that the scenarios have been remade? I'll probably give it a shot anyway, thanks!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Did someone say:

• OpenTTD but RCT
  • Windowed mode

gently caress, I'll give it a go. I've still got RCT2 installed even if it barely works in Windows 7.

I liked 3 a lot. I love all the added scenery options and the ability to make a full water park with pools and boats everywhere. It's just unstable on multi-core 64-bit processors, which sucks.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 1, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So I started playing again and the first couple of scenarios were a breeze but now I'm hitting a wall at the Flower Power/Woodstock level. How the hell am I supposed to get 1500 visitors in 2 years? I've tried several times now and I think I maxed out at around a 1000.

I'm selling all the tents and the big stage, as well as the path around the field, then I put down all the gentle and thrill rides, a rollercoaster or two, and I never seem to be able to make enough money to expand beyond that. I hate scenarios that charge an entrance fee so much. Give me ticket prices for rides any day.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

never build an atm, raise ticket prices until people complain about how expensive they are, then lower them a bit, then build as many loving roller coasters as possible. make most of them small and around 4-5 intensity, they just need to be there to draw people. you want to charge a shitload for food and poo poo too to get them out of the park, they'll leave once they're out of money and make space for the next guy

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You can also shut down the park for 5 min or so to flush everyone out. I forget if the map starts at saturation, but that can help with that.

Definitely look at your guests financial sheets(It's easier before they enter the park) and find the minimum dollars that dudes spawn with and charge that as your highest price, otherwise they'll get turned away at the gate.
Hands down take out loans to build roller coasters as fast as possible, it only takes a few of them to let you charge admission prices at the maximum that lets everyone in.
Don't forget about the advertising campaigns, they'll bring in a lot of people and with the timeframe you're working with you don't need to worry about the park becoming supersaturated with guests.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The best scenario in RCT1 was the one where you have to fix up an old broken park with an incomplete rollercoaster and garbage everywhere. The easiest way was to just demolish and sell everything and start over but I liked to restore the park to what it must've looked like before, finishing the rollercoaster, giving it a new coat of paint, mowing all the lawns etc.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

The best scenario in RCT1 was the one where you have to fix up an old broken park with an incomplete rollercoaster and garbage everywhere. The easiest way was to just demolish and sell everything and start over but I liked to restore the park to what it must've looked like before, finishing the rollercoaster, giving it a new coat of paint, mowing all the lawns etc.

Now did you do this legit with a legion of 50 handy men or did you just use the land tool to just reset the texture to unweeded.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
RCT3 is way underrated and great fun. I hope RCT World is good. What happened to Chris Sawyer anyways

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

he realized his programming powers were too great for any mortal to comprehend and retired to mobile apps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Oh my god Roller Coaster Tycoon World is doomed...it's published by Atari. They have been publishing the absolute worst poo poo lately. Like steam greenlight trash level bad.