Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does the GOG verison of RCT3 support resolutions higher than 1400 x 800? I can't get the Steam one to recognize anything higher :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
^ Steam does, you just have to edit a file in appdata>roaming>rct3>options.txt or something similar. Did it last night.

Are there any must-have mods or packs or anything for RCT3? I've never played through the full vanilla game, nor the expansions, but I figured I'd ask in case there's something awesome I'm missing out on.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Here is a relevant crosspost from OSHA.jpg ; http://www.rideaccidents.com/

Perhaps we can have a contest to create the most devilish and dangerous rides known to man.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Here is a relevant crosspost from OSHA.jpg ; http://www.rideaccidents.com/

Perhaps we can have a contest to create the most devilish and dangerous rides known to man.

Something something Action Park

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I feel the previous two links justified the level of fear I'm feeling in this photo as I rode X2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain with the worst hangover in history:

Definitely picking up RCT3 on iOS, I remember buying the add on packs when they first came out, back when they gave you huge cardboard boxes for PC games that just contained the CD case with the game.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I feel the previous two links justified the level of fear I'm feeling in this photo as I rode X2 at Six Flags Magic Mountain with the worst hangover in history:

I like how you and your friend are both feeling utter horror here, but in completely different ways :allears:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

IAmTheRad posted:

I had a ride that was pulling 20 gs.
Immediately after it would pull -5 gs.

Why wouldn't anyone ride my death coaster?

You can usually get one or two people to try it. It takes a couple of ingame months for it to happen but inevitably ONE person gets on it. Too bad they don't die :(

While we're at it, does someone have the link to Control Volume's LP? I cant find it.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's hilarious having ride addicted peeps who are going broke, tired and occasionally ill rush to rejoin the queue for your ride.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430034 Control Volume's LP.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

it's poo poo

Orv
May 4, 2011

Finish it you loving fucker.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Spaced God posted:

Something something Action Park

I live right by this place and for years it was called Mountain Creek, but this year has been rebranded Action Park for some reason. Last time i went they served dollar tallboys outside the park that you could just bring in, and every twenty feet theres a bar cart, and no employees whatsoever throughout the course of the longer slides that carve through scenery, so needless to say it is tons of fun.

Does OpenRCT2 have all the expansion pack content?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

Does OpenRCT2 have all the expansion pack content?

It works off your RCT2 install directory, so whatever you have in there will show up in OpenRCT2.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Awesome, and one more thing. Last time I tried to install a bunch of extra scenery to my RCT2 it would crash on start. Does anybody have a guide to adding extra content and making sure you don't gently caress your files?

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
EDIT: Oops, just realized the link to the Planet Coaster trailer was literally the second post of this thread.

Uh... so, anyway...

I like roller coaster games.

In fact, I like roller coaster games so much I follow the regular contest on RCTgo and watch all the winners on YouTube. Here's the winner from last round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SokqnVlTxP8

resting bort face fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 14, 2015

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Poil posted:

That takes me back. I never did figure out how to play properly and I still don't. Placing shops and toilets outside the park and people throwing up all over the place, people being flung out of rides for no apparent reason, the advisor being useless and/or confusing, rides exploding and of course the ride cinematics. :)

But I remember that you had to play on medium difficulty or you weren't allowed to research and get a lot of the fancy stuff or bigger buses with more people.

Funniest thing, but I beat the SNES one via the simple tactics of just constantly spending on rides and plonking down one of each. And then filling my park with water fountains since those increased overall value.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Anyone got some good custom scenarios to share? I've done most of the RCT1 and 2 ones that charge for tickets (instead of park entry, which annoys me for some reason, I can never get the price right) and I'm looking for some more.

e:

Also, it's very annoying to be limited in the amounts of rides and scenery choices when you make a custom scenario. Any way around that?

Taeke fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Aug 14, 2015

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah I keep trying to find a good sandbox scenario for RCT2. It has a scenario editor, but it's a huge pain in the rear end because unlike the first game there's no tool to create natural looking hills, and I don't want just a featureless landscape. I want a scenario that just consists of normal hills and some water features, with loads of different stuff and themes to unlock (especially the basic ones, like roman, jungle etc, rather than time twister/wacky worlds). Preferably not with unlimited money, just normal starting conditions. Basically, I want Forest Frontiers but with a much deeper research tree and more land.

RCT2 was weak because it had lots of cool stuff you could do but most of the scenarios had you deal with some kind of limiting gimmick, or had lots of prebuilt stuff whereas I want to build everything myself.

There's a few sandbox style scenarios floating around but most of them gently caress up in one way or another. Most of them have really shallow tech trees, or gently caress up the terrain in some way. I haven't found a single one which does it right yet.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 14, 2015

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I wouldn't mind a featureless flatland at all, but just give me 10k, a deep tech tree and lots of spave to get my sperg on. I don't mind having to save up some money to make a proper lake myself, it's part of the fun.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I could swear that RCT2 came with a blank slate park, unlimited money and everything researched.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I could swear that RCT2 came with a blank slate park, unlimited money and everything researched.

The thing is, I don't want unlimited money nor everything researched off the bat. Money management is a big part of the fun for me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

mr sad posted:

In fact, I like roller coaster games so much I follow the regular contest on RCTgo and watch all the winners on YouTube. Here's the winner from last round:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SokqnVlTxP8

It's a shame that the Atari forums are no longer accessible, there were some really cool rides on that site. I remember one that went on for nearly half an hour and was themed like a horror circus with a lot of neat custom elements.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

RCT3 had that, but I don't think RCT2 did. You had to create a custom scenario and give yourself a ton of money if you wanted to play around in a sandbox.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Is there a way to "zoom in" even further in Open RCT as you kind of go a bit blind.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I think the only way is to lower your resolution.

:negative:

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
RCT3 iOS version is fun but I get the impression building a custom coaster is going to be hell.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bacon Terrorist posted:

RCT3 iOS version is fun but I get the impression building a custom coaster is going to be hell.

it's way better than laying paths tbh :(

The only issue I have with custom coasters is the tiny tap targets for banking icons, not sure if that's better on iPhone 6.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I've got the hang of paths now, I'm on 6+. Will try building a custom coaster soon and report back.

Do I need to leave a square of space around attractions for mechanics to access them? Having multiple error messages about accessibility.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I've got the hang of paths now, I'm on 6+. Will try building a custom coaster soon and report back.

Do I need to leave a square of space around attractions for mechanics to access them? Having multiple error messages about accessibility.

Mechanics access attractions by going through the entrance in RCT3, IIRC (unlike the exits in RCT 1 and 2). I usually just zone mechanics to cover the entire station and both entrance/exit of a ride, seems to work.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

In RCT3 paths break frequently if the elevation of land around them changes even slightly, look for spots where the path doesn't quite connect to the next segment.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Smoremaster posted:

I think the only way is to lower your resolution.
:negative:
The last time i ran classic RCT was with some DirectDraw hack which I then ran through a VM so I could get a bastard version of windowed mode but locked in at 800x600, independent of my desktop resolution and still be scaleable.

By that I mean the game was set to full screen in the VM, but the DirectDraw hack would allow it to be a bit more flexible with obscure resolutions formed from resizing the VM's window.
It also meant I could let the game tick away in the background.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Any recommendations for RCT videos? I started watching Flux but the guy seems to spend a lot more time building structures that hide the rides than actual rides and each video is like 50 minutes.

I prefer seeing well designed parks like Let's Design RCT2 or people having fun with the game like A Merry-go-round and pandas but these series are really short and the trend of teens with facecams seem to include RCT now too :(

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

nexus6 posted:

Any recommendations for RCT videos? I started watching Flux but the guy seems to spend a lot more time building structures that hide the rides than actual rides and each video is like 50 minutes.

I prefer seeing well designed parks like Let's Design RCT2 or people having fun with the game like A Merry-go-round and pandas but these series are really short and the trend of teens with facecams seem to include RCT now too :(

Nerdcubed actually did a really long series of Rollercoaster Tycoon 3. I enjoy him but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45B7Q8h6i38&list=PL4Sz7_l-PtwAzMbn_qWSqAVIEQgdf4eDL

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://youtu.be/O32D2ool2nY

I feel like Joel captures that emotion when we all first started playing RCT

Also check out his death coaster late in the video

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Hihohe posted:

https://youtu.be/O32D2ool2nY

I feel like Joel captures that emotion when we all first started playing RCT

Also check out his death coaster late in the video

This is amazing

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Giant screenshot incoming! (Full res image was bigger than 10mb, so this'll do.)

Roman beach and mountain area, without actual roman scenery.
Ice valley/pit/thing.
Spooky forest and cutesy area.
Techno area, no abstract or space scenery available either, unfortunately.
Centerpiece. The avenue and this were the first thing I built.

I decided to step away from the challenge of actually having to meet goals and handle finances and stuff, so I made a giant map with all the rides I like and a bunch of themes and just got my sperg on. I tend to spend an hour or two doing an area each day and I'm very pleased with the result so far. I just wish RCT2 wasn't so limited in the amount of themes and stuff you can have on a single map. I want it all on a single map. Oh well...

One thing I noticed is that when I started out and only had the central avenue and the area around the wooden coaster I'd get a poo poo ton of messages about people getting lost or stuck, but for some reason that seems to have gone away completely now. My park rating is at a comfortable 999, probably because I give every ride its own mechanic and I'm very generous with sweepers and guards. Everything is covered in those blue squares. I've got 62 handymen and 36 guards walking around, everything is covered.

My next projects will be finishing the scenery around the gigacoaster, a pirate bay somewhere (even though I don't have the pirate ship ride itself, forgot it for some reason), and a proper medieval/castle area. After that I'll see what rides I don't have yet and fill up the rest somehow. I used to have a thing about not getting multiples of the same ride, but it's going to be unavoidable if I want to complete this map.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Hey, I play this game and I can make videos! Might as well combine these facts and record the game as I play it.

After a false start on Rainbow Valley(gently caress that map) I started on Pacific Pyramids. This has no face cam, no talking, no music, no nothing. Just me playing OpenRCT2 and cramming as many rides in as possible.
I recorded the first video at a funky resolution but I've fixed that for this second video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R9Cq6wHalM

I will finish this scenario but if no one gives a poo poo I wont go out of my way to do any more videos.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I think we can all agree that we give a poo poo!

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Here is part 3 featuring a Bobsleigh coaster, money troubles and a dick ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEdkVWdxlD4

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

This guy has an ongoing series where he streams completing an RCT scenario, although he hasn't done one in awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JUu7v_AAkw

Kinda mundane stream fare, but he knows how to RCT.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Jehde posted:

This guy has an ongoing series where he streams completing an RCT scenario, although he hasn't done one in awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JUu7v_AAkw

Kinda mundane stream fare, but he knows how to RCT.

Aw man, why people gotta stick their faces over videos?