Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

nexus6 posted:

Aw man, why people gotta stick their faces over videos?

Greater illusion of interaction with livestream viewers, I guess. Quite a few LPers I like avoid facecams for everything except livestreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I'm getting loads of guests just leaving the park angry but without having spent any money at all. Either this is a bug with OpenRCT2 or the peep AI is really dumb and have them going in circles around the info kiosk, without finding a ride with high enough intensity.

For this reason I built a coaster right at the entrance. Video also feature a log flume and one of those boring go-straight-then-up coasters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR1ZtQ7OoJ8

In this next short video I get to viciously filling up some innocent space in the park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_wRnjKYDB8

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I can never resist the temptation to make my entrance into a fancy decorated path circling an info kiosk.

Guests tend to get stuck if you make more than one interconnecting loop of path. Like, whenever I made a figure 8-shaped path, guests would clog it up and get pissed off.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

The guest AI actually follows some pretty specific rules. When they hit an intersection they decide which way to turn, so if you have a figure 8 like that they might get confused.

If you have a path that goes like

Then when the guests reach the top of the stairs they'll treat that as an intersection. They are really dumb and will often turn around and go down the other staircase, which is interesting because they normally handle two-wide paths fine. This is why Crazy Castle and a lot of the RCT2 maps feel really bad to play, is because they start with really weird fucky sprawly paths and things like this, so you have to wrestle the AI's pathing more than designing coasters. I usually cut off or delete a lot of the paths and make a singular midway, with all paths branching off eventually connecting back to the entrance. It helps keep the guests from getting lost because boy do they find a way even with maps.

Another interesting thing about guest AI, if you have a Mobius coaster one side will always be different from the other. Guests will -always- prefer one side even if the stats are the same otherwise. They will clog the HELL out of the queue for the side they like more.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
I was told itt that was fixed in RCT2 :smith:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It was improved in RCT2, there's still edge cases like the stairs example above. In RCT1 double wide paths would make peeps go crazy no matter what.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

A lot of it was. Maps do help guests who get lost when your paths are good. You'll see them stop, check their map, and turn in the right direction.

Double wide paths are also fixed, as guests don't see them as intersections... except at the top of stairs for some reason.

They'll always try to turn at every intersection to try to get closer to where they're going even if the intersection doesn't have a path that continues or connects where they want to go. The easiest way to avoid pathing issues is to avoid dead ends.

There's a really good webpage out there about it. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: Found it here: http://www.rctmart.com/fossil/PathingSystems.html

The site also has writeups on some other things like ride design and certain problem parks.

Tyty fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 28, 2015

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wooper posted:

I was told itt that was fixed in RCT2 :smith:

Jehde posted:

It was improved in RCT2, there's still edge cases like the stairs example above. In RCT1 double wide paths would make peeps go crazy no matter what.

Specifically it was improved from double wide paths causing an intersection decision every tile the guest moved. Only having that occur in edge cases such as at the top of stairs is a huge improvement on that. I never played the original without expansions, so I wonder how people tolerated the ai without the ability to place "no entry" signs over 'exit only' pathways

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tyty posted:

Double wide paths are also fixed, as guests don't see them as intersections... except at the top of stairs for some reason.

Probably the bottom of stairs as well, right? I'm pretty sure the issue is that adjacent stairs are treated as two separate paths instead of a single double-wide one.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
OpenRCT2 seems as if it's perfectly "just like RCT2" playable so here's hoping their next step is to improve the pathing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Thanks to this thread I am hooked on RCT again, especially making giant buildings in 3.

Question though: Does anybody have/know where I can get a sandbox map for RCT3 (+expansions) that already had some work done on the terrain. Like a blank slate map that isn't a flat green void.

BeerMarket
Feb 5, 2014

If I remember correctly the terrain tools on RCT3 are pretty good and you can easily sculpt a landscape in a couple minutes.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I think I've found a bug with OpenRCT where guests won't leave parks at all, even after they've spent all their money. This basically makes any scenario impossible to complete because they won't leave but they have no money so they get pissed and your park rating tanks.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I'm excited for the multiplayer :pcgaming:
And then finally that loving stupid tumbler/facebook story would be real.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Croccers posted:

I'm excited for the multiplayer :pcgaming:
And then finally that loving stupid tumbler/facebook story would be real.

I'm not certain I know what story you're referring to.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

JAssassin posted:

I think I've found a bug with OpenRCT where guests won't leave parks at all, even after they've spent all their money. This basically makes any scenario impossible to complete because they won't leave but they have no money so they get pissed and your park rating tanks.

I get this a lot. What is most noticeable is that guest have less than 1$ and cant find anything to spend it on, wandering around until they get hungry. You get repeated messages in the log that guest can't find anywhere to buy food but in actuality they can't afford any but won't GTFO.
I loaded up a save from my video run and the only guests leaving the park is ones that haven't spent any money.

Speaking of which, here is the last video.
I build a corkscrew coaster in the last empty, flat space. I ride out the the last year waiting for said coaster to research, building it, and just waiting for the scenario to end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIrE-io6_l4
I gently caress and don't get to enter my name though :(

Bonus 10 second video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHMfdZEdT2o

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm not certain I know what story you're referring to.

This one, probably:

Obviously total bullshit, but it sounds fun.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I do something similar in RCT3. I'll build two pools on opposite sides of a sidewalk, or on opposite sides of a smaller ride and then build a water slide strong enough to ramp guests over the gap and safely into the other pool. It's rad as hell.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Looks like the latest dev build fixed the guests staying in your park while having no money issue.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Cool. The top thought among my guests at the moment is 'I'm running out of money' and I can't build an ATM yet.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sitchelin posted:

I do something similar in RCT3. I'll build two pools on opposite sides of a sidewalk, or on opposite sides of a smaller ride and then build a water slide strong enough to ramp guests over the gap and safely into the other pool. It's rad as hell.

The landing pool is 1x1, surrounded by fire.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

So RCT World had a demo at PAX.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I looked at this video of RCT world and it might actually be.... good......??

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

It looks pretty okay. A good campaign/scenarios is everything though.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Is that a corkscrew on a loop? I dub thee "Chunder-Coaster".

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
RCTW is going to feel really empty, but all the tools look like they're going to be really fun and easy to use.

The success of the game will depend entirely on how quickly the modding community embraces it, a la Cities: Skylines. The devs have even said as much in one of the leaked PAX videos.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Interesting. Part of the reason I couldn't get into RCT3 compared to 2 was that they removed the isometric gameplay and tried to move away from the grid. The fact it's gone for path/rides too is a bit souring to me. I really like the grid!

But it also means we'll be able to build MANY more real-life coasters, which is really cool. The interface looks really easy to use, and it looks like they've taken the past games into consideration too.

I'm definitely excited. Hopefully the campaigns are good.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tyty posted:

Interesting. Part of the reason I couldn't get into RCT3 compared to 2 was that they removed the isometric gameplay and tried to move away from the grid. The fact it's gone for path/rides too is a bit souring to me. I really like the grid!

But it also means we'll be able to build MANY more real-life coasters, which is really cool. The interface looks really easy to use, and it looks like they've taken the past games into consideration too.

I'm definitely excited. Hopefully the campaigns are good.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think I finally cracked why my car rides randomly suck rear end. Go-karts and car rides seem to tank their Excitement ratings if there's too much tunnel travel. For go-karts, the breaking point is something like 40-50% of total ride length.

Has anyone figured out other stat traits to rides? Mine train coasters love helixes and underground dives, wooden coasters are about top speed, airtime and plenty of G-forces, steeplechase coasters are ranked almost exclusively by hill crestings and avoiding lateral Gs at all costs, suspended coasters need lateral forces to thrive but have a hard limit of about 3g until Intensity suddenly shoots through the ceiling... anything else?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Also in the camera options there is LITERALLY an isometric mode.

But I also get what he means, it was no longer a set "the grid does this, this, and this," feeling.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
RCT and AeroBiz I think are my favorite business sims. I just like running stuff and making profits :allears:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Control Volume posted:

Just looking at the interface, it looks very touch screen friendly. I forget if they mentioned it or not, but they're probably planning a tablet version at some point in addition to controller control.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Control Volume posted:

It...*does* look good. I never got into RCT3 so I can't really compare it but everything looks nice and clean.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I'm one of the few who liked RCT3 better than 1 & 2. I can actually ride the coasters, that sold me.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I just read the OP and... but there totally is a working trainer for the GOG version of Rollercoaster Tycoon Deluxe. The DragonsIOA Trainer works like a charm.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sitchelin posted:

I'm one of the few who liked RCT3 better than 1 & 2. I can actually ride the coasters, that sold me.

I liked it for that, and because at night it gets all colorful with little lights and reflecting pools and whatnot. They just made it a bit too cartoony so it looks kind of bad during the day whereas the first games had more of an atmosphere of a real park (this is why I didn't like the later expansions to 2, they already were too exotic), and tunnels don't work as well as they ought to. It also just didn't feel precise enough. In the first two games I could cram a park full of rides because it was possible to be clever and efficient about using space, making rides intersect and use the terrain.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I liked three better than two, but I prefer 1 to it because 3 lacks any sort of danger. They took out people dying to get the 'e' rating, which combined with the removal of failure conditions means that you can never really lose outside of going too far in the red to recover. There's no real risk of loss in the scenarios.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

mr sad posted:

RCTW is going to feel really empty, but all the tools look like they're going to be really fun and easy to use.

The success of the game will depend entirely on how quickly the modding community embraces it, a la Cities: Skylines. The devs have even said as much in one of the leaked PAX videos.

How good RCTW does is dependant on how well they copy rollercoaster tycoon 1 and 2 and make the game more about being a lite-buisness simulator set in a theme park rather than a theme park simulator with some clunky business poo poo tacked on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
In other coaster-game news, Parkitect now has a pre-alpha up for anyone who's preordered it or backed it on kickstarter or whatever. Still really bare-bones at this point (it's just a sandboxy thing right now, and let's be honest these games live or die on the strength of their campaign scenarios), but if you just want yet another game to sit and design your ~perfect rollercoaster~ in or whatever you might want to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I'm a bit worried about the Parkitect interface, since it seems to have ignored a lot of the smart decisions RCT3 made. I couldn't deal with the coaster builder UI at all; I'm sure it's not final but they have some fundamental things they need to fix. I also had a lot of trouble angling the camera in a comfortable way, every angle just seemed "off" and I had trouble parsing the relative heights of things.

Also there's some weirdness going on with what track pieces are available. As far as I can tell, their wild mouse only has super-tight (single tile) turns and massive 45 degree ones, nothing in between. I do like the multiple levels of sloping, though, and being able to bank my turns to the outside (though their banking slider interface is, again, really unpleasant at the moment).

Protip: like RCT3, you can get a ghost preview of your ride while constructing it. You have to build an entrance/exit, put it in test mode, then go into construct mode. Unlike RCT3, you can't test while paused.