Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Isn't there a RCT1 scenario that you can win literally without doing anything? Or maybe just raise or lower the prices a bit or something? I seem to remember that vaguely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Taeke posted:

Isn't there a RCT1 scenario that you can win literally without doing anything? Or maybe just raise or lower the prices a bit or something? I seem to remember that vaguely.

More than a handful of RCT2 scenarios were that simple.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Taeke posted:

That was RCT2 with sherwood forest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz-tUHEDNHI

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

RBA Starblade posted:

This is the one thing about RCT Classic that sucks

You know, with some of the creative scenarios they made I'm surprised that I cant remember any that actually took advantage of that. A park where you started out meeting the objectives but rapidly deteriorated without action would be fun. The closest they got was parks full of old/broken stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Blackpool Pleasure Beach started you off in a semi-precarious position but it didn't seem purposefully designed to play out as a survival map.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

That's the one I was remembering, yeah.

God, I just can't watch Marcel's videos. Like, his videos are fine and I like what he does and all that and his English is really solid, except for that accent. As a fellow Dutch person that used to teach some English and studied English and phonology and stuff at uni, it's just grating to hear his incredibly thick Dutch accent permeate every. single. word. I'm very much aware that that's totally on me though, because like I said aside from his pronunciation there's no complaints. A shame because I know I'm missing great content.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

buglord posted:

Blackpool Pleasure Beach started you off in a semi-precarious position but it didn't seem purposefully designed to play out as a survival map.

That was my favorite level, it was fun having a full massive park to maintain and actually operate

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Taeke posted:

That's the one I was remembering, yeah.

God, I just can't watch Marcel's videos. Like, his videos are fine and I like what he does and all that and his English is really solid, except for that accent. As a fellow Dutch person that used to teach some English and studied English and phonology and stuff at uni, it's just grating to hear his incredibly thick Dutch accent permeate every. single. word. I'm very much aware that that's totally on me though, because like I said aside from his pronunciation there's no complaints. A shame because I know I'm missing great content.

I'm Dutch as well and his accent gets under my skin as well, he deffo knows what is up and can't help it but JFC even I get annoyed by how thick it is.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Necro to say that I just picked up parkitect and it is a good, cool game. I was never one to do much decorating in rct, so the way the game mechanically encourages it so much is super fun.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

marcel is a cool guy and im glad all of his coaster science led to the channel

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

FoolyCharged posted:

Necro to say that I just picked up parkitect and it is a good, cool game. I was never one to do much decorating in rct, so the way the game mechanically encourages it so much is super fun.

my only issue with parkitect is it overvalues decorating and also doing everything by hand from what amounts to lego pieces

I wish there were more preset items of various sizes and stuff like pre-made walls and the like, so I could make a castle without painstakingly cobbling together five pieces at different heights per square and etc.

(there is also 0 information on anything but oh well)

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
It and Planet Coaster both. I don’t have much creativity but I love management games.

Making a park that looks okish is near impossible
In those games if you don’t want to spend 80% of your time landscaping/styling buildings. Planet Coasters the worst offender though.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Planet Coaster is way worse about it because at its core, Parkitect still focuses more on the park management aspect. Planet Coaster is -all- about building a pretty park.

People put prebuilt scenery on the Steam workshop, and it looks like there's some prebuilt walls too if you do a bit of digging. I personally just rely on hedge fences and super simple flat walls because I'm lazy but mostly focusing on hiding the worker paths seems to work well enough.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can also sneeze components onto flat walls in Parkitect and it looks good

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Parkitect is more along the lines of a game over Planet Coaster. Planet Coaster is more of a wide open sandbox where you can place anything you want and spend hours making the perfect little theme for your merry go round making sure it's absolutely perfect. A single rock in the queue out of place will make you upset. In Parkitect people will still ride the merry go round if it's not decorated. It's more that if you show your entire supply management and have workers carrying boxes all around the place where people can see them they might get upset at seeing people that toss them out of their fantasy but it's easy enough to hide the supply chain behind walls and the such.
For me, Planet Coaster just isn't "fun". The campaign is lackluster and I prefer having a goal to work towards. Challenge mode is just too difficult. Parkitect on the other hand every single level has a goal for me to work towards and even if I don't want unlimited money to build whatever I find it more satifying to start from an empty lot with the restrictions of growing slowly rather than making the huge park that I can put whatever I want in.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

This thread may be mostly dead but Roth has a new RCT LP going!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3919627&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
OpenRCT now has javascript plugin support!

quote:

Feature: [#11320] Support for custom JavaScript plugins.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
RCT3 is getting a rerelease this month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfiK_ZUPyfI

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Harminoff posted:

Niiiiice. Really fond of it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fun. Looks like it's a simple update to run on modern systems with no graphical changes or the like.

Parkitect just dropped some dlc. No scenarios, so I gave it a pass but overwhelmingly positive reviews from the people who got it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's releasing on Switch apparently which I guess is cool. I just got one so maybe one of the best roller coaster games is a good choice.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Harminoff posted:

Looks like this will be free on Epic next week!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Looks like this will be free on Epic next week!

Now, in fact, ending Oct 1st at 9AM MDT.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Parkitect just announced a big patch for early December featuring multiplayer. Sounds pretty rad.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

OpenRCT 2 is going to be rolling out some updates to the games limits... Currently in a beta build. Will increase park size from 256x256 to 999x999. And will increase the max items in the scenario editor so you will be able to use all the ride and scenery in the base game & expansions.

Also increases the sprite limits so you can have 50,000 guests in your park and give your high end gaming PC 5fps.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I look forward to the monstrosities people will build in those giant parks.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's just going to be more clickbait park-sized hedge mazes.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I was watching a review for Park Beyond, and it hit me: I don't want to make carnivals and Six Flags any more. I'm sick of it. It's nice that the genre's been (somewhat) reinvigorated, but we're still smack dab in the mold that RCT1 laid down. Linear paths, prefab rides, rollercoasters as the big draws and the only way to be at all creative, blah blah blah, enough already.

Let me make massive lands, and dark rides, and parades, and shows, and fireworks. Challenge me with queue management where I've got to theme the queues to keep guests happy and balance if, and how, I'm going to introduce a line-cutting option. Penalize me if I don't hide the ride buildings from guest sight. Give me guests who want recognizable landmarks to take their picture in front of. Make me make all my money at the gate and from concessions and souvenirs. I want to make a theme park.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Parkitect at least attempt to do some of that. Hiding services, queue theming (but anything worked), but ultimately it was still just iterated on RCT.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Parkitect at least attempt to do some of that. Hiding services, queue theming (but anything worked), but ultimately it was still just iterated on RCT.

Which is all I wanted it to be.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love a fun new take on the genre but everything other than Parkitect has been a huge let down.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
that sounds like a whole lot of something-other-then-making-a-roller-coaster which is the only thing people buy these games for

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I think a lot of buy these for the sim/management aspect actually. I'm not interested in a diorama builder personally.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I was watching a review for Park Beyond, and it hit me: I don't want to make carnivals and Six Flags any more. I'm sick of it. It's nice that the genre's been (somewhat) reinvigorated, but we're still smack dab in the mold that RCT1 laid down. Linear paths, prefab rides, rollercoasters as the big draws and the only way to be at all creative, blah blah blah, enough already.

Let me make massive lands, and dark rides, and parades, and shows, and fireworks. Challenge me with queue management where I've got to theme the queues to keep guests happy and balance if, and how, I'm going to introduce a line-cutting option. Penalize me if I don't hide the ride buildings from guest sight. Give me guests who want recognizable landmarks to take their picture in front of. Make me make all my money at the gate and from concessions and souvenirs. I want to make a theme park.

This sounds a lot like Planet Coaster.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
There's some coaster game that I can't recall the name of that tasked you with making coasters that resulted in hurling the cars through the air into smashable targets.

*checks wikipedia* Ah ha, Screamride. I was basically conflating the three modes of play together. I played the demo once and never again, but it was more of a puzzle game where a coaster was the solution than a management sim. A nice idea, but still thoroughly within genre.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I remember when I was a kid, standing in Babbage’s with a copy of the PC game Coaster in one hand, and a copy of Theme Park in the other. Both games let you design rollercoasters, however only Coaster let you ride them in first person view, which was mind-blowing at the time. On the other hand, Theme Park let you design and manage entire parks which also sounded awesome. I ended up going with Coaster, which, lol, totally the wrong choice. Still had fun with it anyway

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Fall Dog posted:

This sounds a lot like Planet Coaster.
I've got Planet Coaster, and I love Planet Coaster, and what I'm asking for is nothing like Planet Coaster.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The problem with a game mechanically tracking things like themed lands is that you put a focus on the artistic design and handicap artistic design to the confines of your designated theme's pieces in the same move. It's why pretty much every coaster game rewards generalized scenery for coasters and not consistent theming.

The big problem with coaster games not rewarding themed lands and the like is that scenery is almost always expensive as hell and it's not feasible to full on decorate everything outside of a sandbox mode.

Parkitect is probably the closest so far, because while it's expensive the game rewards scenery handsomely(huge ride stat boosts -> greatly increased ride income) while penalizing a lack of it when guests start seeing your back areas.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you look at Planet Coaster theming videos, a lot of the really creative theming essentially involves kitbashing the given parts together to create entirely new ones. The themes you can create solely by plopping the pieces the developer gives in the obvious way are very limited compared to what you can do with kitbashing.

But at the same time, there's a reason people are playing a rollercoaster videogame instead of opening up Blender and modelling a rollercoaster - if you make your theming system so complicated that people can't just plop down some premade assets to get started, nobody's really going to be interested.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

In my head, it'd work something like you'd tag each land with a theme and then there'd be a poo poo-ton of premade assets to plop down in every theme and a bunch more generic ones, so your guests will balk if they see an animatronic dragon in Sci-Fi Land, but you could easily make them a dark ride where they go through and see space soldiers shooting at robots right out of the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

In my head, it'd work something like you'd tag each land with a theme and then there'd be a poo poo-ton of premade assets to plop down in every theme and a bunch more generic ones, so your guests will balk if they see an animatronic dragon in Sci-Fi Land, but you could easily make them a dark ride where they go through and see space soldiers shooting at robots right out of the box.

But your very example highlights the problem with your idea: a ride themed around spacemen fighting alien dragons on the moon sounds awesome, and yet the game would penalize you for it because "dragons aren't scifi" even though the ride itself has a perfectly solid scifi theme. And that's before getting into how a lot of custom buildings repurpose building pieces into unorthodox uses(while still in theme) outside their intended theme/use, especially if the game let's you recolor the pieces (i.e. in parkitect, a lot of the castle walls can be repurposed for general masonry and ditto on the western ones for wooden structures. This system would lead to parks feeling very samey very fast.

As much as I agree it would be cool to have zoning mechanics of some kind, it's tough to figure out a system that doesn't actively fight itself. I think your idea might work if you made a game more inspired by Sim city where you flag a zone as whatever theme and the game generates the appropriate structures, but that would likely have to give up the designing rides part of the equation to work, so it's a pretty steep price.