Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Ikantski posted:

Wynne breaks one promises and Horwath will be all over her.

Sure, maybe Horwath won't be leader in four years, but she'll be effective as hell at rounding up people who forgot Libs gonna lib.

You probably think this is clever, but lol Horwath couldn't prosecute a dead pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Horwath is that one totally ineffectual public school administrator we all remember, you know the one you saw the science teachers snickering at from the back of the gym during assemblies

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Good Canadian Boy posted:

New interview with trudeau speaking about after the election and his thoughts moving forward as PM:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/w5/w5-exclusive-the-first-interview-with-pm-designate-justin-trudeau-1.2625375

I like most of these answers, really. Reiterating the election reform promises, the climate related promises, etc after being elected is good.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the escalator dig was also pretty funny without being too mean spirited.

She tried to help feed him typical politician BS leeway stuff when they were talking about how they're going to follow through on enacting his platform, and he's like, naw we're actually just gonna follow through on our promises.

If this election ends up only being good for legitimately proportional electoral reform, getting rid of Harper, and getting :420: legalized, that'll be enough for me barring something ridiculous. loving sucks we'll probably end up signing the TPP, but any other positive changes that they actually follow through on will just be icing on top.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm sort of hoping Hillary and/or the Republican congress just scuttle the TPP entirely. She said she would and many in Congress think it's part of the NWO Agenda 21 conspiracy. It would be the funniest end to the whole thing.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Mederlock posted:

Yeah the escalator dig was also pretty funny without being too mean spirited.

She tried to help feed him typical politician BS leeway stuff when they were talking about how they're going to follow through on enacting his platform, and he's like, naw we're actually just gonna follow through on our promises.

If this election ends up only being good for legitimately proportional electoral reform, getting rid of Harper, and getting :420: legalized, that'll be enough for me barring something ridiculous. loving sucks we'll probably end up signing the TPP, but any other positive changes that they actually follow through on will just be icing on top.

the force of the players behind the TPP are such that it had a good chance of being signed regardless of who we elected. As much as I enjoy a principled stand against transnational corporate profiteering, the US signing on and us not would be a fatal blow to a bunch of our industry.

Now that both Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton are pushing against it as campaign rhetoric though, it might still die, so who the gently caress knows whatll happen, but I have a hard time holding Trudeau for account for signing it as in a parallel reality where PM Mulcair never lost the lead I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have said poo poo about it and would've signed on in due course

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Kafka Esq. posted:

You probably think this is clever, but lol Horwath couldn't prosecute a dead pope.

We should have a cadaver synod for Harper.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Kafka Esq. posted:

I think Horwath is saying the right things but it doesn't matter if the media doesn't report on it. Media gave Mulcair hardly any coverage when he was official opposition so I doubt he'll get more now. I expect Mulcair to make many excellent points that go largely unheard.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Ikantski posted:

I think Horwath is saying the right things but it doesn't matter if the media doesn't report on it. Media gave Mulcair hardly any coverage when he was official opposition so I doubt he'll get more now. I expect Mulcair to make many excellent points that go largely unheard.

She forced and election and didnt have a platform ready until like 2 weeks before people were set to go to the polls. She didnt get media attention because she had nothing to loving say other than "Hurf Durf were not Liberals and were not PCs so that means vote for us! :downs:"

Like, that election still pisses me off because we had a choice between 2 equally bad people and Hudak literally spewing word for word a Republican Tea Party platform. We were going to get hosed no matter where we went and Im glad we didnt vote in NDP because a disastrous term under Horwath would basically ensure they never ever get elected again.

I should probably do the same for this federal election since it really isnt that far off from how the Ontario one went.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cowofwar posted:

The federal government can enact the laws but it will come down to the provinces as to whether they want to implement the system I imagine. Ottawa or Kingston will just become the new pot capital of Canada if Quebec doesn't implement.

Hmm, perhaps a reason to finally be happy that the NDP formed provincial government in Alberta...

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

cowofwar posted:

The federal government can enact the laws but it will come down to the provinces as to whether they want to implement the system I imagine. Ottawa or Kingston will just become the new pot capital of Canada if Quebec doesn't implement.

Isn't one of the main goals of legalization to get money out of the hands of criminals and into the hands of legit businesses while generating revenue for the government? Not going along with whatever the feds propose with marijuana will kind of ruin that aspect of it. Either people will continue to buy bud from illicit sources (in which case, only the criminals benefit), or they'll buy it from sources in other provinces, and those provinces will get to reap the benefits.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

QuantaStarFire posted:

Isn't one of the main goals of legalization to get money out of the hands of criminals and into the hands of legit businesses while generating revenue for the government?

That's certainly a nice side-effect. The bigger goal is to end the bakhsheesh arrangement that the cops in some places have with the public, where they agree not to prosecute people with weed if the smokers agree to not be dicks about it, because there's a whole bucket of civil rights issues attached to that arrangement. The idiotic tug-of-war between the "But it's illegal so we can't be seen allowing it" and the "It's not harming anyone and prosecutions are a waste of everyone's time" factions has to end one way or the other, and given that Canadians consume a lot of weed I just don't see how the letter-of-the-law side could hope to prevail here.

I do wonder what percentage of the total weed consumed in Canada comes from criminals-as-in-drug-cartels as opposed to criminals-as-in-Canadians-growing-pot.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Clearly the solution is to abolish all laws and tax the proceeds of all crime and then we'll have an infinite source of government revenue

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Cultural Imperial posted:

Clearly the solution is to abolish all laws and tax the proceeds of all crime and then we'll have an infinite source of government revenue

Clearly the solution is to criminalize all substances, thereby eliminating all crime forever.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Hmm, yes.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

we might just be in for four years of fantastic Sun front pages

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

huh

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

quote:

You're one of the most informative and intelligent posters in this thread but I find your interpretation of this comment totally implausible. The NDP leadership has a history of expelling people who don't toe the party line. The Waffle is the most famous example but more recently they've done it with pot activists and - in a truly self defeating move - the leader of the CAW. When a prominent high level guy close to the leadership makes a comment like that it is obviously more than a friendly warning.

AFAIK, Sears isn't "close to the leadership", and he's put his name to quotes about Tom having temper tantrums and not working well with colleagues. It's really implausible to me that he'd either take it upon himself or allow himself to be dispatched by the leadership to warn off potential challengers and protect Tom's leadership. Anyone who knows party culture and was trying to make an impartial observation could say "the party wouldn't take well to someone being seen as pushing the leader"!

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

The B'nai Brith of Canada intends to nominate Harper the peace prize for his unwavering support of Israel.

Geh... buh.... er... AAAAAAAHGGHHHHH :psyboom:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

The Sun is poo poo and always was and evermore shall be so.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

The Sun is poo poo and always was and evermore shall be so.

Unfortunately that's probably not the majority opinion in Canada and people eat that crap up

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's probably pretty fun to work at a newspaper that doesn't have to worry about facts or being unbiased (not that any other newspapers are overly concerned with these things)

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I bet the article is reactionary garbage but the front page looks like fairly neutral eye-catching nonsense to me?

edit: unless I'm missing some kind of old person dogwhistle and the image is meant to evoke some old people fears about young hippies taking over Canada

Heavy neutrino has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Oct 25, 2015

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Heavy neutrino posted:

edit: unless I'm missing some kind of old person dogwhistle and the image is meant to evoke some old people fears about young hippies taking over Canada

Ottawa Sun posted:

What Legal Pot may look like under Trudeau

By 2017 the Canadian economy is in shambles. Canadians have stopped going to work, opting instead to stay home and get "high". What commerce remains is based on giving abortions to veiled Muslim prostitutes.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

lol, close. A lot of death. The Green death.

Ottawa Sun posted:

Two suicides and a murder committed by people who consumed edibles have caused alarm in Colorado.

Another area Canada will need to study is drug-impaired driving. While fatal crashes in Washington only increased slightly after legalization, the percentage of drivers involved in those crashes who tested positive for THC doubled -- to 12 per cent in 2014 from 6 per cent in 2010.

In Washington, nearly half of marijuana poisoning calls last year involved children.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

quote:

Two suicides and a murder committed by people who consumed edibles have caused alarm in Colorado.

Three deaths tangentially related to marijuana in a year and a half? Shut it down!

Meanwhile, how many alcohol-related deaths have there been?

quote:

Another area Canada will need to study is drug-impaired driving. While fatal crashes in Washington only increased slightly after legalization, the percentage of drivers involved in those crashes who tested positive for THC doubled -- to 12 per cent in 2014 from 6 per cent in 2010.

In Washington, nearly half of marijuana poisoning calls last year involved children.

Again, see: Deaths, Alcohol Related

I know this response is obvious to almost anyone sympathetic to legalization, but how they don't immediately jump to mind for the target audience of this piece is a bit perplexing. Or maybe they're the kind of people that would like the make alcohol illegal as well. :shrug:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Both easily foreseeable results of making marijuana candies and lacking a means to test impaired drivers for weed. What I took from that article is that they made mistakes we can learn from.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Seems like that could backfire. Rempel is likely to be younger and more energetic than whomever they settle on. Going from Rempel to Charest for example makes him look really old and stale.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Yeah, even the CBC piece on this topic comes off as a bit fear mongery.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Slightly Toasted posted:

Unfortunately that's probably not the majority opinion in Canada and people eat that crap up
To go from speculative to anecdotal, I have not met a single person who (whenever the topic came up) didn't think any SUN newspaper was a piece of poo poo.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Airborne Viking posted:

To go from speculative to anecdotal, I have not met a single person who (whenever the topic came up) didn't think any SUN newspaper was a piece of poo poo.

Maybe it comes from being in the prairies but everywhere I've worked and everyone I've talked to prefers the sun either because it's "easier to read" or "sunshine girl".

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Slightly Toasted posted:

Maybe it comes from being in the prairies but everywhere I've worked and everyone I've talked to prefers the sun either because it's "easier to read" or "sunshine girl".
:( I guess my social circle in Winnipeg was a bit different.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Slightly Toasted posted:

A lot of my old coworkers """ironically""" read the sun like that. Oh Alberta.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

She forced and election and didnt have a platform ready until like 2 weeks before people were set to go to the polls. She didnt get media attention because she had nothing to loving say other than "Hurf Durf were not Liberals and were not PCs so that means vote for us! :downs:"

Like, that election still pisses me off because we had a choice between 2 equally bad people and Hudak literally spewing word for word a Republican Tea Party platform. We were going to get hosed no matter where we went and Im glad we didnt vote in NDP because a disastrous term under Horwath would basically ensure they never ever get elected again.

I should probably do the same for this federal election since it really isnt that far off from how the Ontario one went.

This, I really, really need to reiterate this whenever people freak out about Wynne, yeah I hate her a lot, but drat did we ever have a lovely selection.

That said, since I'm in Windsor Ontario right now for school I get the joy of living in a place that is NDP because "unions" and everywhere else is blue because all the rich people don't live in Windsor itself. Word of advice, don't ever come here, it blows.

Here is a lovely little conservative piece by a local columnist for the local newspaper (he calls the Liberal party the "happy party" and the Conservative party the "adult party", comments are also very choice.)

http://windsorstar.com/opinion/columnists/vander-doelen-let-the-blame-begin:

quote:

With that endless election finally over, we’re going to find out just how much a new government can and can’t do.

My guess is, they won’t do as much as some had hoped, even though Canadians “voted for change,” as we’ve been told.

Actually, 5.6 million of us voted for four more years of the same, thank you very much. Unfortunately, we were outvoted by a margin of 1.3 million new voters. Suckers for a pretty face, every one of them.

C’est la vie. The ebbs and flows of politics are eternal — as are the behaviours of voters and political parties. The hindsight analysis of how the election was won is already getting stale, so cast your eyes down the road to what we can expect in future.

There were early signs of change on a few fronts, such as Canadian fighter planes being pulled out of the fight against ISIS. Under a Liberal government, the terrorists who assassinated Patrice Vincent and Nathan Cirillo near Parliament Hill one year ago this week are no longer enemies worth bombing, it seems. Too bad.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has pledged that tax cuts for you and me and tax increases for the other guy will be among his government’s first bills. Fine.

There could be some popular moves on recreational marijuana use. But don’t hold your breath, as it were, on how fast they deliver on that promise. The status quo could last for years — even until the next election.

And 24 Sussex Drive, the prime minister’s residence, will finally be renovated after a decade of irresponsible neglect by the Conservatives.

Oh wait — false alarm. The renovations rumour was just the new prime minister’s mom making some unauthorized speculation about what son Justin might do.

And that is an immediate change Canadians will notice under this new government: a complete about-face in how the media cover Ottawa. Can you imagine the fury from the national media if they learned Harper was spending $10 million (the last official estimate) to renovate 24 Sussex for his family? Or how they would have howled if Harper’s wife or mother had made the announcement? But it will all be different now.

Well, perhaps not all different. There has been some local excitement at the municipal level about the Liberal “infrastructure” investment plan. That will quietly turn to disappointment as the mayors discover Trudeau meant “social infrastructure,” which means the hiring of more bureaucrats far from here.

The media won’t dwell on this, however, anymore than it will probe Justin’s mother’s faux pas about 24 Sussex.

Instead, for the next four years we’re going to hear quite a bit about how impossible it is for the new Liberal government to accomplish certain things because of all the “damage” the Conservatives did under Stephen Harper.

This isn’t a difficult prediction. It’s something the Liberal party has done since time immemorial. That’s exactly what we’ve watched the provincial party do in Ontario since 2003. Here, they still routinely blame former PC premier Mike Harris for nearly every failure in the political realm, even though he left politics in 2002.

Why can’t Ontario balance its budget? It’s Harris’ fault! He left us in a financial pickle. Teachers out of control? Not the Liberals’ fault: Harris ruined the province’s “relationship” with teachers’ unions. Infrastructure crumbling? Conservative austerity left the work undone.

And so on. We’re going to endure exactly the same tedium at the federal level for the next four to eight years, on everything from balancing the budget to carbon taxes — which will be deemed necessary because of the Tories’ failure to act on climate change, of course.

I say four to eight years because that is the normal cycle of the electoral rotation in most democracies: eight years of profligacy under the Happy Party, followed by eight years of cleaning up the mess by the Adult Party. If we’re lucky.

That’s how long it’s going to be before Prime Minister Michelle Rempel takes over from a tired and much less cute-looking Justin Trudeau in 2023. (The equally photogenic Alberta MP Rempel is an early favourite for the Tory leadership, among Westerners at least).

There was a small silver lining for the City of Windsor in the Conservative loss: Ward 6 Coun. Jo-Anne Gignac will continue to be almost the sole voice of reason on city council. Had I lived in her riding and her ward, it would have been difficult to mark a ballot sending her to Ottawa, knowing how weak her replacement would likely have been.

At least we’ll still have one member of the Adult Party still sitting in government down here.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

salty conservative tears sustain me

VVVVV they retroactively endorsed it, it's practically the same thing as organizing it :freep:

Excelzior has issued a correction as of 01:46 on Oct 26, 2015

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

poo poo, I didn't know that ISIS attacked parliament and the culprits are still alive and free. We'd better get on that, stat.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Rempel might be interim leader but not long-term leader.

There was an interesting discussion on the matter on P&P. I think I agree that Kenney should be interim leader but it needs to go to a younger face in the long term. Kenney is not electable. If the Harper guard tries to strong-arm Kenney in to place I imagine the party will self-destruct.

But personally I am rooting for Ford or Charest because that would be hilarious.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Is it normal for a party leader to go dark this long after an election? Mulcair hasn't been seen in public since Monday night.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

brucio posted:

Is it normal for a party leader to go dark this long after an election? Mulcair hasn't been seen in public since Monday night.
Overly attached communist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

brucio posted:

Dion took a week after 2008. Jack took 12 hours in 2011.

• Locked thread