Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Pinterest Mom posted:

Dion took a week after 2008. Jack took 12 hours in 2011.

For Jack, there was internal unrest to solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Will I be able to buy weed with my student card or will I need a drivers license?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

ThePriceIsRight posted:

Will I be able to buy weed with my student card or will I need a drivers license?

Just two bills with your address while you are wearing your government approved burka.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
A gay marriage certificate from an ISIS approved Imam on post-recycled paper will also do.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

jm20 posted:

Just two bills with your address while you are wearing your government approved burka.

I don't have any bills I live with my parents how soon can I buy some weed?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

I'm having a party next weekend and I promised everyone I'd have three gravity bongs going with an endless supply of weed.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Ned's coming over and he is bringing his cousins (who are really hot) and they are pot heads so I might get laid if I have a lot of weed how soon will it be legal?

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I hope the Liberals listen to Munir Shiek and act to reinstate the long-form census. I don't know how difficult it would be to restart or how much expertise has been lost. The household survey data is garbage and I'm guessing they'll just have to drop it for any statistical analysis going forward.

Beelzebufo has issued a correction as of 12:16 on Oct 26, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

brucio posted:

Is it normal for a party leader to go dark this long after an election? Mulcair hasn't been seen in public since Monday night.

May has a nice headline about being invited to go to a climate conference by Justin, even.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Sedge and Bee posted:

I hope the Liberals listen to Munir Shiek and act to reinstate the long-form census. I don't know how difficult it would be to restart or him much expertise has been lost. The household survey data and garbage and I'll guessing they'll just have to drop it for any statistical analysis going forward.

Too late for 2016, sadly.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought reinstatement of the long form census was one of Trudeau's promises.

https://www.liberal.ca/realchange/the-long-form-census/

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
He probably will but getting a census together is a long term project.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

brucio posted:

Is it normal for a party leader to go dark this long after an election? Mulcair hasn't been seen in public since Monday night.

This was what, a 76 day campaign? I wouldn't blame him for heading right out for a vacation.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I wonder if we'll see campaign length limits along with the electoral reforms.

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013

Brannock posted:

I wonder if we'll see campaign length limits along with the electoral reforms.

Oh god yes. I am not doing this length ever again. Four weeks should be enough for anyone.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I don't know how the Americans do it, it's exhausting.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...?service=mobile

John Baird considering a leadership run. I don't see him or Kenney as being able to hold the CPC ship together.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Now anonymous will leak all the sordid details for real, right?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

brucio posted:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...?service=mobile

John Baird considering a leadership run. I don't see him or Kenney as being able to hold the CPC ship together.

So predictable. Watch all the other pre-election retirees come out of the woodwork now that they aren't associated with the bad campaign.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

MA-Horus posted:

I don't know how the Americans do it, it's exhausting.

it's a sickness

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I liked the longer election. It went a bit too long, but I'd be ok with an 8 week campaign.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

In the absence of a CanPol thread, I'm posting this here:

CBC posted:

http://www.rcinet.ca/en/2015/10/22/b-c-supreme-court-delivers-a-life-altering-victory-for-homeless-people/

B.C. Supreme Court delivers a life-altering victory for homeless people

Citing Canada’s Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the B.C. Supreme Court ruled that homeless residents in a tent city in the Lower Mainland city of Abbotsford can erect shelters between 7 p.m. and 9 a.m. the following morning.

Citing Section 7 of the Charter, Chief Justice Christopher Hinkson ruled that the homeless–like other Canadians–are entitled to the right of personal security–a precedent that likely have far-reaching effects across the country. Chief Justice Hinkson also dismissed the city’s request for a permanent injunction against homeless encampments on city property.

D.J. Larkin of the Pivot Legal Society says the judgement means bylaws across the country that criminalize people on the street are not constitutional.

Criminalizing poverty is regressive and unfair, and I'm glad to see someone standing up for these people's rights. But on the other side of the coin (and maybe I'm overreacting a tad here) does this mean tent-city firetrap flophouses are going to start popping up in municipal parks and cities will respond by sending city workers with dumpsters and an air horn in to pick up the mess at 9:01 every morning? Because that'll happen long before we find free housing and/or mental health care for the folks who would otherwise be living in tents. Allowing camping on land that doesn't have proper sanitation is just pleading for trouble.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Maybe the fact that homeless can now legally erect shelter on public property will finally prompt our society to start taking care of our homeless.

Sadly it'll be be because people don't want hobos making GBS threads up their romantic evening strolls, not because they actually give a poo poo about the well being of another human being.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Okay, I'm setting up the new canpol thread, then, since nobody has PMed me. Does anyone know how to photoshop?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Cities that rely on tourism have a lot to lose from allowing this sort of thing, so hopefully they'll come up with a better solution than carting people off to jail. Bah who am I kidding they'll just turn the space into a private park, charge admission and make entry conditional on agreeing to abide by a code of conduct.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kafka Esq. posted:

Okay, I'm setting up the new canpol thread, then, since nobody has PMed me. Does anyone know how to photoshop?

That depends on what you need done; yes I know how to Photoshop.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, make homelessness super visible and impossible to sweep away to somewhere with fewer rich people having to look at them and maybe just maybe actually solve the root issues? Guess what that's actually cheaper than the approach of criminalizing it and the constant enforcement and other issues needed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't see any way for tent cities in public parks to go wrong. No sirree.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

I don't see any way for tent cities in public parks to go wrong. No sirree.

There was already something wrong.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Baird just could not deny that rumour fast enough.

(If he wanted to be leader of something, the PCPO was his for the taking. The CPC leadership is a lot harder for him to get.)

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
The CPC rallying behind a man in the closet, where have I heard that story before :ironicat:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

jm20 posted:

The CPC rallying behind a man in the closet, where have I heard that story before :ironicat:

It's funny because John Baird is gay, and also the Prime Minister was told to hide in a closet by his security detail while there was an active shooter in parliament.

:rolleyes:

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

It's funny because John Baird is gay, and also the Prime Minister was told to hide in a closet by his security detail while there was an active shooter in parliament.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for explaining that, I had no idea what he was talking about :rolleye:

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
I wonder how a portion of the conservative base would have felt about the two frontrunners for the leadership of their party being rumoured homosexuals.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

brucio posted:

I wonder how a portion of the conservative base would have felt about the two frontrunners for the leadership of their party being rumoured homosexuals.

"That's okay he's one of the 'good ones'. "

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm always fascinated that the sniggering about Baird's sexuality comes from progressives, never from conservatives.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

I'm always fascinated that the sniggering about Baird's sexuality comes from progressives, never from conservatives.

To their credit, I think the cons did a pretty good job of avoiding the topic so as not to wind up on the wrong end of history, regardless of how strongly some of their voter base may have felt about it. Yeah okay containing a sentiment seen as undesirable was something that Harper excelled at, but still.

It's not like they're big-R Republicans.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
its because he's forced to be in the closet by his own politics and won't come out

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

In the absence of a CanPol thread, I'm posting this here:

Criminalizing poverty is regressive and unfair, and I'm glad to see someone standing up for these people's rights. But on the other side of the coin (and maybe I'm overreacting a tad here) does this mean tent-city firetrap flophouses are going to start popping up in municipal parks and cities will respond by sending city workers with dumpsters and an air horn in to pick up the mess at 9:01 every morning? Because that'll happen long before we find free housing and/or mental health care for the folks who would otherwise be living in tents. Allowing camping on land that doesn't have proper sanitation is just pleading for trouble.

Christ.

quote:

The lawsuit on behalf of the Abbotsford homeless was filed by the B.C./Yukon Association of Drug War Survivors with the help of the Pivot Legal Society after city workers spread chicken manure on one homeless camp, and police pepper-sprayed residents and slashed tents at another in 2013.

That article is making the decision seem more precedent setting than it actually is, since the same decision was made WRT to Victoria in 2008 (from what I've read elsewhere this decision references the other). Also this:

quote:

does this mean tent-city firetrap flophouses are going to start popping up in municipal parks and cities will respond by sending city workers with dumpsters and an air horn in to pick up the mess at 9:01 every morning?

is basically what ended up happening in Victoria. It's not as bad as that, because people weren't setting up permanent-esque tents since they were getting kicked out every morning, but still VicPD has to spend a lot of time every morning kicking people out of parks. They are proposing a more permanent tent city near downtown, but people are predictably pretty outraged by the idea of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

Who's sniggering? It's fair to wonder if it would be an issue for social conservatives, regardless of your own political leanings.

• Locked thread