Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I missed out on the Mad Max names thread, I'm getting in on the ground floor!

Praise be to Doom!
:gaz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I'm curious. What have they done to me?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It would be impossible for another version of me to be more awesome than I already am, so I find such claims highly suspect.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's going to be a 6 week delay to the next round of answers to keep things authentic.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I hope that the other me hasn't died over those six weeks...who am I, anyway?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Having infinite me's seems like a very annoying thing. Please do not allow it.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
This seems like a good way to fill the time until Unlimited gets Secret Wars. I'll know who I am before I know who the big names are!

Exasperated Badger
Jun 9, 2009

"Come," he says. "Let me tell you a story. Once, there were four stalwart heroes..."
What's a badger?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm still here. Family thing bigger than expected. Jetlagged right now. I'll try to post more from the Battleworld Revelation of Saint Martha Comicbooks soon. Sorry for the delay. :gaz:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

RIP battle world

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It was all worth it for Wrestlevania.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I assume I'm some sort of computer janitor at the Avengers Annex 3A, or something.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Kelp Plankton posted:

RIP battle world

Zowie, a 29-person backlog! Better get crackin'.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's an easy way!

1-29: You are Jamie Maddox, a mutant with the ability to split into independent copies of himself. You live in the Geocity, a Battleworld domain that has not progressed past the late 90s. Geocity is a mess of a city, constantly on fire and under construction.

You work a stage comedy act with the other 28 of you. It was kind of funny with 15, but now everyone is shocked you're still around.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Melchior posted:

I assume I'm some sort of computer janitor at the Avengers Annex 3A, or something.

I filled out that application to work at Stark Industries. I figured the joke was you had to have a rudimentary understanding of relativity to even be Stark's janitor. Then it turned out you were auditioning for a Dr. Pepper ad where the lucky winner was, in fact, Stark's janitor but he got put in a Dr. Pepper machine by Jarvis. I didn't win, but I totally would have been in that commercial if I had, if only so I could say, "I am canonically a part of the Marvel Movie universe as Stark's janitor".

(Trying to give the OP a really easy out here)

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

There's an easy way!

1-29: You are Jamie Maddox, a mutant with the ability to split into independent copies of himself. You live in the Geocity, a Battleworld domain that has not progressed past the late 90s. Geocity is a mess of a city, constantly on fire and under construction.

You work a stage comedy act with the other 28 of you. It was kind of funny with 15, but now everyone is shocked you're still around.

:perfect:

If only the mysteries of Battleworld were truly so easily resolved! But while I refine the next set of revelations with the aid of many medicinal herbs and spices, let's make a quick stop at the Shield. :doink:

Wanderer posted:

Somehow I suspect I'm on the Shield. Or I was, before what's referred to as the "Incident."

Don't pretend that you didn't volunteer for this.

On the Shield, bravery doesn’t help anyone. To serve the Shield with distinction, you need one of two traits, preferably in excess: The first and best is a sense of duty, the kind that crushes you with the anticipatory guilt of letting anyone living above the wall suffer the predations of the monsters living below it. Ideally, your heartbeat (or equivalent) beats can’t quit, can’t quit, can’t quit at rest, and pounds don’tlet’emdie-myfaultiftheydie-don’tlet’emdie-myfaultiftheydie when it races.

The only other trait that’s ever proven helpful for serving on the Shield is the kind of madness that blinds one to the hopelessness of the Shield—the sort of ill-calibrated mental state that leads one to believe that it’s possible to actually, finally win. Let’s say a light-to-moderate megalomania with a dusting of plain vanilla mania. Though useful, this madness is less useful to one’s Shield-mates, in absolute terms, than the aforementioned sense of duty, though frequently more entertaining.

Bravery, though—not so useful. Bravery leads to otherwise-intelligent people charging down from the Shield, into the southern wastes, trying to fight the monsters back at the front lines. Bravery leads to Hel-Rangers and then regret. Bravery on its own is bad enough, but worse, it invalidates the benefit of the useful traits: bravery plus duty leads to noble suicides (:rip: in peace Skurge, a robot turned you into bio-diesel); bravery plus madness leads, with uncomfortable consistency, to attempts to build personal kingdoms in the wastes (which, spoiler alert, do not fare well).

But I’m getting away from the point.

Go back to the beginning of this write-up—not the part about volunteering, although that will momentarily be relevant. This part:

Squizzle posted:

To serve the Shield with distinction, you need one of two traits,

That part didn’t mean at least one. You want exactly one of these traits. Either one of these traits can lead to distinguished service on the Shield. You don’t want both. A sense of duty plus that kind of madness leads you onto a Morituri Strikeforce.

Sometimes, Doom help us, protecting the Shield demands retrieving something from south of it. Maybe it’s intelligence, maybe it’s a person, maybe it’s a bug doomsday weapon or a robot doomsday weapon. (In an uncharacteristic show of fair play, the zombies shy away from the doomsday weapon racket.) This isn’t Hel-Ranger work; Hel-Rangers have an unfortunate tendency to charge out and die in romantically tragic and/or hilarious ways (see above, re: bravery). You want someone who knows, deep down, that the mission needs to succeed, and somehow believes that it actually can.

Everyone on a Morituri Strikeforce has volunteered for the job: go south, under the wall, and make sure something comes back. Almost none of them expect their whole team to make it back to the wall, on any given mission. Deep down, every single one of these volunteers is both willing to die for the mission, but somehow believes that they, individually, won’t have to. Duty plus madness. Morituri volunteers all die the same way: surprised, accepting, but a little disappointed.

Ok, not all of them.

One Morituri Strikeforce has yet to lose a member. This team has, time and again, mission after mission, year after year, navigated the most treacherous conditions under the Shield, and returned with their objectives complete and no one on the team lost. I’ll probably end up talking about this team a few times, for two reasons: it’s unusually large, so there are a lot of members to talk about; and because, to a one, everyone on the team is an alternate reality counterpart of a Something Awful Dot Com forums goon. Doom works in mysterious ways.

Anyway, back to you, Wanderer. Yes, you are on the Shield—or were sent to the Shield. If we’re being nitpicking goonlords, you’re frequently south of the Shield itself. You lead the premier Morituri Strikeforce. But on your team, no one is above grunt work, and you set a fine example by also acting as the squad’s wheelman. You operate the war-fitted Powered Convoy, a big rig capable of plowing unhindered through zombie Hulks and vibranium deathbots, while adamantium wiper blades (thoughtfully donated by an undead Dakenapes, when you neutralized the High Devolutionary and his zoo-vembies) clean the remains of the Annihilation Wave from the reinforced windshield.

On your wrists, you wear the Citizen Bands. Given to you long ago by your mentor, Nebulon, these artifacts that allow you to tap into the primordial energy field that links man and truck: the Masterforce. At the least impressive, this gives you the power to telepathically drive your rig. When the haul gets tough—and it inevitably does—you can also slam the bands together, tapping into the full power of the Masterforce. Your body sublimates temporarily into pure Masterforce power, joining with your Powered Convoy to transform into a towering battle-mech. In this form, you help protect your team with piston-powered fists of Detroit steel.

In either form—man or mantruck—you’re proud to lead the premier team beneath the Shield. You consider it an honor to be called Under Shield-1—US-1, to your friends.

Welp OK 28 to go!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Squizzle posted:

In either form—man or mantruck—you’re proud to lead the premier team beneath the Shield. You consider it an honor to be called Under Shield-1—US-1, to your friends.

I knew it was coming. I thought I was ready for it.

I was not.

Squizz on, Squizzle.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Welp, I know something else the Incursions destroyed.

MY ABILITY TO RESIST LEARNING MY FATE

2015 - 2015

I hope I'm not too late.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 19, 2015

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
Squizzle what you got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Caba-rays is loving gold.

Also good god, do me too!

• Locked thread