Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best roar
eyueeeaueerhggh (godzilla)
briiiurghhhh (king ghidora)
eurgh (mothra)
aa aaaaaaaa brrrrr (gamera)
WHERE'S THE NEW REBUILD (eva fans)
View Results

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Amorphous Blob posted:

Big man Japan is a story of an Ultraman type of figure who is unappreciated and hates his job. It's got some really strange monsters in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Cm39xDWmQ

I had this and I think a couple of others on VHS as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jYFhZiUvc

I can't remember ANYTHING about the bits with humans running around but apparently there is a bunch of space monkeymen and probably some other weird poo poo which speaks of how awesome the giant monster fights were that it doesn't even ring a bell.

If you like that, you'll like Attack of the Friday Monsters for 3DS. It's about a kid who lives in a city where every Friday giant monsters attack his town. It's made by the My Summer Vacation guy and it's on the e-shop

check it out

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Those people must be HUGE

Smoking Crow posted:

If you like that, you'll like Attack of the Friday Monsters for 3DS. It's about a kid who lives in a city where every Friday giant monsters attack his town. It's made by the My Summer Vacation guy and it's on the e-shop

check it out

I only have a regular DS :(

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Since the OP didn't make it clear, you see all the Eiji Tsuburaya in the SFX director column for the first run? That is the Eiji Tsuburaya who created Ultraman. The original series was an attempt to basically give a half hour Godzilla movie every week, right down to the budget. There's some poo poo going on in that 1966 show that competitors weren't pulling off as convincingly until this century, with heavy computer use.

Also, Eiji Tsuburaya is actually a member of the Christian minority in Japan, so the parallels are super intentional.

Anyway, let's get some streaming links up in this poo poo, because a surprising amount is available now, largely from Shout Factory for free:

Ultra Q (no Ultras, just humans trying to deal with kaiju)
Ultraman (Hulu, may require subscription)
Ultraseven
Ultraman X The currently running series, simulsubbed on Crunchyroll.

And of course for more of what the thread was actually about originally: a mixture of Showa era Toho films, most of which have been on Netflix forever, but including the uncut original Gojira. Please watch the original 1954 unedited version if you haven't. It's actually fantastic.
Also Crunchyroll has Godzilla vs Megalon and Destroy All Monsters in both dub and subbed forms.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Amorphous Blob posted:

Big man Japan is a story of an Ultraman type of figure who is unappreciated and hates his job. It's got some really strange monsters in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Cm39xDWmQ

I had this and I think a couple of others on VHS as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jYFhZiUvc

I can't remember ANYTHING about the bits with humans running around but apparently there is a bunch of space monkeymen and probably some other weird poo poo which speaks of how awesome the giant monster fights were that it doesn't even ring a bell.

The space monkeys frightened me as a child, so for the longest time I didn't like vs Mechagodzilla because I associated it with the frightening dead monkey men.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

The space monkeys frightened me as a child, so for the longest time I didn't like vs Mechagodzilla because I associated it with the frightening dead monkey men.

how could you not like the invaders from planet x

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 27, 2015

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I have fond memories of watching the first few dubbed Ultraman eps with my mom and dad on vhs. That's the limit of my experience with kaiju stuff that isn't made in America though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

how could you not like the invaders from planet x

When you're a kid what frightens you and what doesn't is pretty arbitrary. The dead aliens freaked me out, but the horrifically burned body at the beginning of Godzilla Returns didn't phase me at all.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Weren't the monkey guys retconned into being from near the black hole where Space Godzilla was born

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

He will, Anno loving loves Godzilla and is gonna make the best Godzilla movie ever in 2020.

I hope it's worth the Rebuild delay.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
Ultraman is very good and I recommend it very highly. I am currently watching Mebius from 2006 which is fun and positive and has a lot of cameos from old Ultramen. It's fun!

Godzilla still holds my heart as the best kaiju ever though. Godzilla vs. Gigan is excellent, as is Destroy All Monsters. I'm currently working my way though as many as I can find. Next up on my list is Godzilla vs. Hedorah and I'm really looking forward to the Heisei era stuff I haven't already seen.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Oh yes, how silly of me. Linked the new show and the two Godzilla movies Crunchyroll has, but not the two Showa and two older Heisei series:

Ultraman Leo
Ultraman 80
Ultraman Max
Ultraman Möbius

All the episodes of all of these are available for free by now even. There's nary an end to the giant monsters in rubber suits you have available to you now!

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

AzraelNewtype posted:

Oh yes, how silly of me. Linked the new show and the two Godzilla movies Crunchyroll has, but not the two Showa and two older Heisei series:

Ultraman Leo
Ultraman 80
Ultraman Max
Ultraman Möbius

All the episodes of all of these are available for free by now even. There's nary an end to the giant monsters in rubber suits you have available to you now!

Oh my. I've been wanting to see Ultraman Leo for almost a decade, and the only way I'd known to get it was janky Hong Kong VCDs. Thank you for letting me know about this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I found Cinemassacre's GodzillaThon to be pretty interesting as an overall introduction, having basically no knowledge of the franchise originally outside of the 1954 original and I think Godzilla vs. Mothra.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I may be in the minority here but nice guy Godzilla is kinda bullshit. The turn was in one of the ones with mothra I think, where he became a savior of man and friendly...he should be a rampaging terror!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

I may be in the minority here but nice guy Godzilla is kinda bullshit. The turn was in one of the ones with mothra I think, where he became a savior of man and friendly...he should be a rampaging terror!

There are much worse things in those movies than good guy Godzilla

I'd rather have a Gamera style romp with children than any scene with Minya

Weener Beater
May 4, 2010
Best series ever as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySpAN-7pa4

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Pacific Rim was cool.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kojima and Del Toro are still gonna work together in the future so Metal Gear REX will be on Pacific Rim 2.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

everythingWasBees posted:

Pacific Rim was cool.

Eh.

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008
I keep showing the unaltered Gojira to people just because I love the reaction of "oh, god, this is bleak." It's a great watch anyway, and a lot of people haven't seen it in that form.
I really want a release of Godzilla 1984/5 that isn't the dub release, but I guess I'll have to wait.

And oh my goodness I want to know who's writing the score to the Anno Godzilla film. Shiro Sagisu? Ko Otani again? guhhh.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

junopsis posted:

I keep showing the unaltered Gojira to people just because I love the reaction of "oh, god, this is bleak." It's a great watch anyway, and a lot of people haven't seen it in that form.
I really want a release of Godzilla 1984/5 that isn't the dub release, but I guess I'll have to wait.

And oh my goodness I want to know who's writing the score to the Anno Godzilla film. Shiro Sagisu? Ko Otani again? guhhh.

Anno's pure love will bring Akira Ifukube from the underworld to score one last film.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Smoking Crow posted:

Weren't the monkey guys retconned into being from near the black hole where Space Godzilla was born

No. The apes were always called "3rd planet black hole aliens" or something equally stupid. The black hole in Godzilla vs Space Godzilla is unrelated. In fact the Heisei films all ignore every Showa film except for the original.

By the way what was everyone first introduction to kaiju films? My first was Godzilla vs Monster Zero.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
When I was between 6-9 years old, our local Wegmans still had a video rental corner. My brother and I always wanted horror movies, and Showa-era Godzilla films were tame enough that we could get our parents to rent them. I don't remember which one I saw first -- could've been Invasion of Astro-Monster, or vs. Megalon, or possibly even vs. Mechagodzilla.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

My first was a VHS of Godzilla 2000. Embarrassing fact:Little kid me was put off of Kaiju movies thanks to a certain Roland Emmerich shitfest,so when my grandma got me,in my words (she never forgets) "Another boring stupid Godzilla movie",I was initially less than thrilled. Then she sat me down,and we watched it together. I went from :rolleyes: to :allears: over the course of the film. And during the fight with Orga,my reaction the whole time was :asoiaf:

Keep in mind,this was my first proper Kaiju movie,so I know more impressive stuff has come out (Godzilla VS Space Godzilla,for instance),but I still think of Grandma whenever I watch that movie.:keke:

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 30, 2015

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My mom bought me a 2 for 1 VHS at Walmart with Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Mechgodzilla. It had the Godzilla 1985 poster on the cover

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My dad showed me Godzilla King of the Monsters first, and then I consumed as much Godzilla as I possibly could. Those old AMC horror movie marathons were a godsend to me.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I only ever saw the first half of vs Destoroyah on a worn out VHS over and over for most of my life, until I got the DVD of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When I was about 9 or 10 Channel 4 in the UK started a run of 'monster movies' beginning with with Destroy All Monsters, having been introduced to US 50's and 60's SF B-movies maybe a year earlier I assumed they were the same thing and diligently watched them all in their rubber-suited ridiculousness.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Was anyone's first kaiju experience MST3K or Joe Bob

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

My first was Godzilla vs King Kong.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My first experience with Godzilla was last year when I rented the DVD of Gojira from my local library , and then illegally downloaded a ton of Showa Godzillas to watch.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Smoking Crow posted:

check it out

Seconding this. It's a great little adventure game. If you're interested in the guy that made it check out the special summer issue of Ray Barnholt's SCROLL from two years ago. He did a Kickstarter to actually fly to Japan and interview the guy.

This thread is great. I love me some Godzilla and kaiju. I host a live pop culture panel comedy show in Philadelphia and we did an episode on Godzilla last year. I watched like 15-20 movies to prepare for it. To open the show my co-host and I came out on stage dressed as Mothra and Godzilla and smashed a bunch of cardboard buildings to that rap song that uses the Godzilla theme.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

New interview with the special effects guy about Godzilla.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HMMMMMmmmmmmmm.....

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Director of Live Action Attack on Titan calls Godzilla (2014) a Masterpiece. This movie may suck.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

Director of Live Action Attack on Titan calls Godzilla (2014) a Masterpiece. This movie may suck.

I'm going to withhold judgment until I see the film

junopsis
Dec 28, 2008

In Training posted:

I... kind of suspect that somewhere, the composition work on the Gamera trilogy's effects shots (being Higuchi's effects work) influenced the Godzilla flick a lot, so that it would appeal to him doesn't surprise me.
It's the people stuff that, well, if that doesn't work out, oh well, but I don't know what Anno has up his sleeve on that end. He's nuts, but sometimes a fun kind of nuts.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

The 2014 Godzilla was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

nah

• Locked thread