Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
lmao if you give a gently caress about what other people listen to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

last month all I listened to was HMS pinafore, the pirates of penzance, man of la mancha, and the rocky horror show. on repeat

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Unless posted:

i don't think you know how to get good music and are culturally, as well as spiritually, bereft because you rely on whatever streaming service to be your idea of "music that's out there"

:bahgawd:

honestly if it isnt on youtube or spotify i wouldnt know about nor be interested in it i bet

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Unless posted:

suprnova

whoa that takes me back

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

honestly if it isnt on youtube or spotify i wouldnt know about nor be interested in it i bet

spotify has some really obscure stuff I never expected like the poxy boggards

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
audiogalaxy was the best thing in the world

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Silver Alicorn posted:

spotify has some really obscure stuff I never expected like the poxy boggards

ah but is it in ogg vorbis (no) gas

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

we've already established that spotify streams oggs

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my god its true :negative:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

what kind of countertops do you like, smythe

painted tile or w/e this poo poo is

photo taken 5 years ago with an ownage motorola droid 2 depicting my now dead cat RIP

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pretty slick looking. i dont like tile for countertops tho because the grout gets disgusting

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

pretty common now to epoxy over the grout

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
my apartment has bright yellow tiles with white grout and the lifehack is to scrub with bleach every week to keep them sparkly and beautiful. bonus is that all my nieghbors do so you can judge them based on the color of their grout. no hiding your shame from my prying eyes when i inspect the grout fucker. mine? glistening. blinding white. indicative of a perfect life of correct living

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
anyways, ogg vorbis ftw

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my grout is despicable

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Smythe posted:

my apartment has bright yellow tiles with white grout and the lifehack is to scrub with bleach every week to keep them sparkly and beautiful. bonus is that all my nieghbors do so you can judge them based on the color of their grout. no hiding your shame from my prying eyes when i inspect the grout fucker. mine? glistening. blinding white. indicative of a perfect life of correct living

lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

my god its true :negative:

did you think i was kidding

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
spotify also has a native linux client

because spotify owns

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its not 'native'

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Unless posted:

this was mine:

didnt this one have instantaneous playback? i really wanted one when i was a kid

pram
Jun 10, 2001
what does that even mean

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

its not 'native'
looks pretty native to me

$ file /opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify
/opt/spotify/spotify-client/spotify: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 2.6.24, stripped

pram
Jun 10, 2001
because youre an idiot

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this random pile of webkit poo poo is native because its a binary loooollll duurrrrr

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pram posted:

this random pile of webkit poo poo is native because its a binary loooollll duurrrrr

yes i'm sure it uses some kind of embedded html poo poo, but it's pretty obvious they ported their codebase to linux. it's not adobe air or java or some such write-once run-anywhere crap

it's not even linked to webkit

what's really odd is that it is linked to both gtk and qt libraries, in the same binary, including glib. not real sure how or why you would want to do that

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no you dunce its just a website. its the same on windows and osx. theres nothing native about it, unless you consider websites to be native

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

didnt this one have instantaneous playback? i really wanted one when i was a kid

it was one of the only gapless portable audio players with a hdd, sub 400ms playback, it was dope

and everyone just know there's a lot a lot a lot of music that still hasn't been digitized that's got worth, don't get burned out because whatever music service doesn't even have a small fraction of that which has

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Unless posted:

it was one of the only gapless portable audio players with a hdd, sub 400ms playback, it was dope

and everyone just know there's a lot a lot a lot of music that still hasn't been digitized that's got worth, don't get burned out because whatever music service doesn't even have a small fraction of that which has

yeah one of my workstudy jobs in college was digitizing the thousands of old albums that the library had which had never been released on cd or anything. since you basically have to do that in real time, i got to listen to a lot of cool old music

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
:nyoron:

i agree with you that there's a lot of high-quality, high-concept music you will never discover on spotify, and i vaguely endorse inuit throat singing as a more psychedelic experience than kpop, but in general this chart seems to me like one of those teenage things you would find on 4chan. whatever their music board is, /m/ i guess

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?
if anyone has 9 minutes of free time i recommend closing SA for a little bit and listening to this entire piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feShpPLivK0

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Nagato posted:

if anyone has 9 minutes of free time i recommend closing SA for a little bit and listening to this entire piece

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feShpPLivK0

that's boring as hell, and popular to boot.

Nagato
Apr 26, 2011

Squeezy Farm posted:

that's boring as hell, and popular to boot.

most predictable reply

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Whoa just saw it

"Why yes my username is the same as an autistic alien who looks like a 9 year old from an anime, why do ask?"

:catstare:WTF is wrong with you?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
ogg vorbis was great back when all the available mp3 encoders were complete poo poo

this is like one of those "math people are smarter than you" xkcd comics except somehow even more stupid

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Heresiarch posted:

this is like one of those "math people are smarter than you" xkcd comics except somehow even more stupid

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I had one of these

and i remember the time display went crazy whenever you played a vbr file

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

kreatrock lol

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I had an iRiver 320 that played oggs, but why rip to ogg when you have EAC and the LAME encoder?

the GNUbeards and slashdotters liked ogg 15 years ago because some patents on mp3 or something.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

the original Unreal and UT99 used .xm mods for audio. a way cooler audio format than oggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Vorbis legit sounds better at ~128kbps. Can't really tell at 256kbps though. Also there were a couple of songs (one of them being Rods and Cones by Blue Man Group) that I could tell were compressed if they were less than like 512kbps but it was very minor nitpicking

• Locked thread