Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A good neighbor :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
As someone that just did a roof on a shed for the first time...

I'd highly recommend doing that yourself. It's super easy to do. And if you gently caress something up... it's only a shed! Perfect place to learn.

(Also don't be an idiot like me and use the expensive ice barrier... just get the 15# felt.)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Good News: Got pre-approval for a new mortgage.
Bad News: They estimate 60 days to close, and the current lender set a sale date for the beginning of October.

Not sure what I'm going to do here.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Request an accelerated closing and explain your reasons. There will likely be a fee but they should be willing to speed things up.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
^ this. There is a ton of refi work going on but if anyone cares at all they'll bump you up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We requested a 5 day bump and it was like $75 to do it and 9001 more signatures but it's saving us from having to rent an apartment for a month.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Request an accelerated closing and explain your reasons. There will likely be a fee but they should be willing to speed things up.

I've asked them what we can do to make things go faster. So far they're talking about getting me a pre-approval letter, which I don't expect the current lender is going to give two fucks about.

Has anyone had a appraisal lately? That seems to be the main factor that could gently caress things up and I'm wondering how anal they typically are.

Granted I'm looking at about 50% value/loan ratio, so that's probably a factor.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MikeyTsi posted:

I've asked them what we can do to make things go faster. So far they're talking about getting me a pre-approval letter, which I don't expect the current lender is going to give two fucks about.

Has anyone had a appraisal lately? That seems to be the main factor that could gently caress things up and I'm wondering how anal they typically are.

Granted I'm looking at about 50% value/loan ratio, so that's probably a factor.

Call the new lender daily. "Hi, it's me... what are you waiting on right now?"

We had to do this to close on time (never buy a house between thanksgiving and the end of the year). They were always waiting on something they hadn't told us about it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

devicenull posted:

We had to do this to close on time (never buy a house between thanksgiving and the end of the year). They were always waiting on something they hadn't told us about it.

This is good advice and applicable to any situation where you're waiting on someone else.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

They do feel some urgency here, they're just loaded up with other applicants for loans.

They told me they could schedule the appraisal as soon as I send the initiating documents and the fee, and someone should be out in 10-12 days after that. Knowing there are no surprises would help calm me down a bit.

As far as house stuff, we've got most of the main coat done (there's a few gaps that still need to do because the siding on this house sucks and is a pain in the rear end) and then we need to try to schedule getting the trim done. I just got off the roof, we cleaned off all of the debris, cleaned out the gutters, and I trimmed down some branches that were touching the house and sprayed the whole roof down with moss killer. I'll check again in a few days to make sure the moss is dying.

Need to:
- fix the gutters (going to glue them in and replace them after the appraisal
- put some kind of floor down in the kitchen (probably going to run to second use and buy whatever they have that'll fit then maybe replace it later)
- Power wash part of the house to clean off some bird turds
- Paint the front bathroom
- Trim down all the branches I cut so I can get them in the bin
- Do the trim
- Get someone out with an industrial carpet cleaner to do deep extraction in the bedroom
- Clean out the gutters that I can't reach from the roof
- Gotta do some grouting, I was going to just wait until I replace the flooring in the bathrooms but I don't want to give anything for the appraiser to look deeply at.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Find out who is doing the appraisal and get on them. Our realtor was able to get one scheduled within a day of requesting it.Just keep emailing and calling.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

bumping for good juju

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Always be the biggest pain in their rear end, they'll want to get rid of you.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

devicenull posted:

I had the same problem during the same time with a refinance (not even pulling any money out) that was with the same company my mortgage was already through. Once I started calling and emailing them every day asking for updates it moved along much quicker. Squeaky wheel and all that.

Just keep on them, their urgency is based off your constant reminder of your urgency. Otherwise you are just another loan number in the stack until you are on the phone and they have it in front of them.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got the gutters cleared out, and cleaned off the roofing for the front and rear porches as well as I can (I need a broom with a handle about 4 inches longer to get the last bit).

Got the pre-req paperwork and stuff sent in.

Second Use has some deals on flooring, what do you guys think would be best?

https://www.seconduse.com/inventory/items/791341-S/walnut-face-engineered-flooring/

https://www.seconduse.com/inventory/items/800371-S/240sf-lot-of-glue-down-vinyl-tiles/

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Can't find my plumbing tool, so I'm going to lose another day and going to have to buy another loving one tomorrow.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

We're at the "begging for money so I don't lose my house stage", here's a link.

http://gf.me/u/ytxbxv

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Depends on what the foot traffic will be. If it's going to be a kitchen or high traffic/spill area, vinyl may be best, but for a bedroom, I would go with the engineered.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Red posted:

Depends on what the foot traffic will be. If it's going to be a kitchen or high traffic/spill area, vinyl may be best, but for a bedroom, I would go with the engineered.

I went with the engineered. The vinyl is way too thin.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

We're at the "begging for money so I don't lose my house stage", here's a link.

http://gf.me/u/ytxbxv

I've closed on a refi in 15 days, 60 seems wildly unreasonable. Are you working with a broker?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I've closed on a refi in 15 days, 60 seems wildly unreasonable. Are you working with a broker?

I'm working with my Credit Union. They're apparently extremely loaded right now.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Heard from the title company on Friday, so wherever that is in the process that's where I am?

Doing bathroom and kitchen projects, I'll post some updates when I get those completed in the next day or so.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

In trying not to lose the house news, the appraisal is scheduled for the 8th.

In trying not to have the appraisal go sideways news, I've been working on getting some house tasks completed. First on the list has been cleaning off the roof, painting the bathroom, and putting a new floor in the kitchen.

Not much interesting to say about the roof, we basically just used a blower to blow crap off the roof, cleaned out the gutters, I cut some branches that were touching the house, and sprayed down a bunch of moss killer. Going to have to go back up there in a day or two to see if the killer worked, and regardless need to sweep the roof to break the moss off. I'm also going to do a bit more trimming of the big tree in the front where it's touching the house.

Here's the bathroom.

We started by removing the remainder of the wallpaper backing and stuff in the room, to try to give us as good a surface as possible for painting.

I also removed the sink so I could get a good look at the major problem area with the floor.

It's,... less than great.

My plan is to clean out that area, use a 10-second bond super glue to hopefully hold it down, then run a new bead of caulking. I've got some splash guards for the tub that should prevent water from running down there going forward so hopefully that will keep things in better shape down there until I can rip out the flooring and replace it.

Here's how the paint looks. Needed to ultimately put down two coats for good coverage, but it's a small room so it didn't ultimately take long.

Also need to install a new transition here so I can stop this from getting worse until then.

And I'm going to install some of that rubberized moulding on the floor.

And, the kitchen.

Decided to buy the engineered flooring, as the other type was just veneer and was way too thin and would probably rather suck.

Unfortunately, it's tongue and groove and not the click flooring. So had to get one of these.

The person that originally cut out the flooring didn't do a great job around the dishwasher, which was causing alignment problems when I was starting test fitting and figuring out what kind of gap I'd need for the first boards (in the refrigerator nook, won't be seen so I can gap it a bit larger for fitment to the rest of the floor).

So wasted some time pulling out the dishwasher then going to Harbor Freight for one of these:

It took a bit of extra time trimming, but I managed to cut enough out that it was aligning more or less true. And having the dishwasher out will make it easier to replace the water feed for the refrigerator that sprung a leak a few weeks ago.

Where the refrigerator will be living for a few days. On another note I ripped out the grounding prong while I was pulling it out, so I gotta buy a new power cord.

Getting started. Didn't ultimately get much done on the first day since we had to spend more time prepping the floor than we expected, I lost time having to do extra work, doing an extra errand and having to do that cutting, as well as having to learn how to use the floor nailer and having to dink with pulling or hammering in cleats that didn't set right because I hadn't learned how to use the tool.

Had a bit of an alignment issue here, and didn't notice until too late. I'll have to get some filler to close this up but it's not too bad. There were some random boards that didn't want to behave, but I discovered that if I stood on the board I could hammer it in flat and hold it in place until I could get cleats in.

Here's pictures showing the progress over the second day.

Gap here looks pretty much perfect to put in the transition piece. I'll go and select one in the next few days. Wrap up steps for this are that transition, run the replacement water line, reinstall the dishwasher, replace the power cord for the refrigerator and reinstall that in place.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That flooring is great. Don't sweat the appraisal, it'l be fine.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Rhyno posted:

That flooring is great. Don't sweat the appraisal, it'l be fine.

For the most part I just want it to get it in a condition where there's no "I should look in to this deeper" and hope that they don't think the roof needs to be replaced immediately, because that'll blow another $5,000 in costs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeyTsi posted:

For the most part I just want it to get it in a condition where there's no "I should look in to this deeper" and hope that they don't think the roof needs to be replaced immediately, because that'll blow another $5,000 in costs.

The house we just purchased needs a new roof in the next 2-3 years (per inspection by a professional roofer) and it didn't even cause a blip on the appraisal. Definitely clean it off but don't obsess over it.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Agree with other sentiments; normally you will get dinged on major issues that will cost the bank or you... Not little things like bad wallpaper.

Then again you are accomplishing tasks that are great for you when you are enjoying your house!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's like a 50% chance the appraiser parks in a car outside, ticks some boxes, and leaves without ever actually going around the house. Like 90% of the appraisal value is square footage, BR/BA count, and lot size, compared to recent sales of houses in the area with nearly the same values in those stats. They are absolutely not going to give any shits about the quality of the paint in the bathroom.

Now, if you were having a buyer's inspector coming in, that's a different ballgame for sure.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It looks like they're booking a half hour and will be taking pictures of all rooms and outbuildings. So they're definitely looking inside.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got all the appliances moved in and replaced the water line. Didn't take any pictures since the tap for the water line isn't fully sealing closed so time was of the essence.

Here's the room with the stuff back in it though.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Leperflesh posted:

There's like a 50% chance the appraiser parks in a car outside, ticks some boxes, and leaves without ever actually going around the house. Like 90% of the appraisal value is square footage, BR/BA count, and lot size, compared to recent sales of houses in the area with nearly the same values in those stats. They are absolutely not going to give any shits about the quality of the paint in the bathroom.

Now, if you were having a buyer's inspector coming in, that's a different ballgame for sure.

Inspection is not the same as appraisal. Appraisal is how much the bank thinks the home is worth in case something happens and they are stuck trying to sell it. The bank is the buyer after all. They just want to make sure that the amount you are asking to borrow is equal to or less than the value of the home.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

It quickly became clear that glue wasn't going to work for the linoleum like I thought.

So, gently caress it.

Staples work.

Now, I'm sure you're asking, "doesn't that look bad and also a rather bit suspicious? Well, worry not.

Covers it and protects it. I also went ahead and cleaned out the old caulk and ran a new bead down and over the side of the tub. I think I'm going to recaulk most of the tub at this point and also need to install splash guards in the corners so no more water gets down the side.

This was sufficient to get the sink back in, I need to get a seam roller (local hardware store was out and using a tube of silicon for a roller just isn't quite working as well as I'd like), and then I'll finish running the baseboard around the bathroom. I'll probably need to buy some more of these as well as I didn't account for this plan originally and I think I'm going to do the same thing in the master bathroom.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, it's been a stressful few days, but the house is about as ready for the appraisal today as it's going to be.

The person that was going to clean my roof loving bailed on me, so we had to spend 2 hours up there yesterday which really destroyed the schedule.

I don't think it's ready, but I'm out of time. I'll post some pics/updates once the appraisal is done and I've had some time to settle down.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JEEVES420 posted:

Inspection is not the same as appraisal. Appraisal is how much the bank thinks the home is worth in case something happens and they are stuck trying to sell it. The bank is the buyer after all. They just want to make sure that the amount you are asking to borrow is equal to or less than the value of the home.

Exactly. This is just an appraisal.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Sounds like you’ve done an amazing job in the time you had. I hope the appraisal goes well!

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So the onsite portion of the appraisal was maybe 10 minutes, so maybe I was stressing myself out about it too much?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah, just a bit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Probably, but it's better to overprepare than assume it'll be fine and do the bare minimum, right?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

So, just waiting for the appraisal to be delivered (by the 15th), then it goes to underwriting.

Meanwhile I talked to the Mortgage company. I had them file for a payoff, which they said would postpone foreclosure, but they haven't actually sent that yet. I also sent them successor-in-interest information, I got an e-mail saying ultimately that it was complete but I also got a letter from them asking for info, and haven't yet gotten a response to the e-mail asking about that. I also submitted for yet another payment plan/mortgage modification/whatever at the insistence of the account rep I spoke to. They ignored the last three I sent, but who knows, maybe it'll help if things go sideways or may also delay things a bit so I can get the refi finished.

So, as usual, the mortgage company is doing a great job of reminding me why I don't want to do business with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Appraisal came in a few days early, so the loan has been sent to underwriting.

This is where the big backlog is though, so while my rep is trying to expedite it may still be a few weeks to close, so I still need to figure out a way to delay the auction or pay the reinstatement on the loan to stop the action. I'm in contact with the trustee company now, I'm pushing to contact the trustee so I can give status and see if they can delay things, if I don't get traction on that a attorney friend of mine (not giving legal advice) got me the contact information for the corporate ombudsman so I'll start blowing up their phone and e-mail.

Appraisal came in a bit lower than expected, but it looks like it's mainly based on market trends in the area with a few dings due to some stuff being old (and the sewing room doesn't have a floor at the moment, but that was listed as "$400 to cure").