Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Well, that certainly makes the job easier:

Thanks for the advice guys. It took me less time to remove an entire board as well as the entire section of linoleum than it did to do the work I last posted with two people.

Getting the second layer started looks like it may be a pain, I might have to chip it with something smaller so I can get the tool between that layer and the wood. Once I have it all up I'll see what the kitchen looks like and decide if I'm going to go with wood or just put a new layer of linoleum down (I'd prefer wood).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Depending on the age of that lino, it probably has asbestos in it.
So wear a repirator, keep things wet, and hide that in garbage bags when you get rid of it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Welp, can't back out of having a purple house now.

Painting commences this weekend. I gotta get the exterior done before Washington weather turns lovely for the next 9 months.

I'm not going to be doing the outbuildings yet, that'll probably wait until spring.

We're also hopefully going to finish painting the library, office, and guest room this weekend, and I'm renting a steam wallpaper stripper so Holly can try her hands at using that.

All in all, should be a busy weekend.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Did some more work over the weekend:

I spent most of Saturday pulling wiring off of the house, but I managed to get a little more painting done.
On Sunday I ended up spending quality time doing this:

Started working diligently on the kitchen floor.

Found where the heating vent used to be.

Wait, what's this?

Great. That's just loving super.

Looks like there was a major water spill that damaged the floor; I'm guessing the dishwasher blew or something. Rather than fix it properly, the cut a hole and removed the immediate damage (not fixing the layer below which appears to be nicely dry-rotted), stuffed some wood in there, then put on another layer of wood and a new layer of linoleum.

So, the kitchen floor has:
layer of white linoleum
particle board
layer of grey linoleum
particle board
particle board (looks like they at least removed the layer of linoleum above this)
sub floor

Which means I have to remove three loving floors to get down to where I need to be; and the cabinetry (which is custom so can't be replaced without significant cost) is set on top of the grey layer. Which means I'm going to have to basically saw around the cabinetry, take up the two layers of flooring, then probably chisel out the part that's under the "lip" so I can get things flush with the edges before I can lay down new floor. Which makes it really unlikely that I'll get it done before I need to move in at the end of the month.

So for now, I need to focus on getting the rooms that have hardwood (living room, office, guest room, library) finished, and get everything totally cleared out of those rooms so I can tear up the particle board flooring in the library and lay hardwood there, then get all of the wood surfaces repaired, sanded, and finished.

But hey, let's show some pictures of the other things that were accomplished over the weekend.

Library is painted.

Office is mostly painted, just need to do a little more sanding to clean up the edges of the mudding we did to clean up the poor construction decisions made by prior owners before finishing.

This is the accent wall for the guest room, which is painted. Designs and stuff will be painted on this wall in the color of the other three walls (the cream/white)

Closet on the right is painted. Closet on the left will be painted the red color (ran out of the cream and I don't want to pay $34 for another gallon to paint one closet).

I should hopefully be able to get the rooms finished, then get the living room walls sanded and repainted by the end of this weekend, and get all the stuff cleared out and either moved to other rooms or thrown out. Then I can call out someone to do the floors for me and then move on to the sewing room and master bedroom (and start moving). I may end up living in the guest room for a few weeks/month to give a little more time to get the master bedroom to the point where I can move in to it.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

MikeyTsi posted:

layer of white linoleum
particle board
layer of grey linoleum
particle board
particle board (looks like they at least removed the layer of linoleum above this)
sub floor

At least when you sell the house you'll be able to advertise high ceilings.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MikeyTsi posted:

Did some more work over the weekend:

I spent most of Saturday pulling wiring off of the house, but I managed to get a little more painting done.
On Sunday I ended up spending quality time doing this:

Started working diligently on the kitchen floor.

Found where the heating vent used to be.

Wait, what's this?

Great. That's just loving super.

Looks like there was a major water spill that damaged the floor; I'm guessing the dishwasher blew or something. Rather than fix it properly, the cut a hole and removed the immediate damage (not fixing the layer below which appears to be nicely dry-rotted), stuffed some wood in there, then put on another layer of wood and a new layer of linoleum.

layer of white linoleum
particle board
layer of grey linoleum
particle board
sub floor

Which means I have to remove three loving floors to get down to where I need to be; and the cabinetry (which is custom so can't be replaced without significant cost) is set on top of the grey layer. Which means I'm going to have to basically saw around the cabinetry, take up the two layers of flooring, then probably chisel out the part that's under the "lip" so I can get things flush with the edges before I can lay down new floor. Which makes it really unlikely that I'll get it done before I need to move in at the end of the month.

So for now, I need to focus on getting the rooms that have hardwood (living room, office, guest room, library) finished, and get everything totally cleared out of those rooms so I can tear up the particle board flooring in the library and lay hardwood there, then get all of the wood surfaces repaired, sanded, and finished.

Old particle board is a health hazard as it gives off formaldehyde and other lovely stuff. You sure you can't gently detach the base cabinets once the counter tops are off? I mean, in a trainwreck house like this, how 'custom' can they be? Skipping that, you don't have to chisel under them, that's what 1/4 round is for.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

be careful of fiberous tilles if there are any in those layers.. a lot of square tiles had asbestos in them, if it's sheets of leolium then you're okay.. if it's tiles then you may want to either not touch it.. or do what you can to not get mesothelioma, which usually means calling a special abatement company.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Asbestos tiles are actually pretty safe to remove, you just need a respirator. Even when you break up the tiles, the asbestos fibers are still trapped to the tile and won't go airborne the way loose fibers from insulation.
I watched Mike Holmes on Holmes on Homes have his crew remove asbestos tiles and if I can't trust him then I can't trust anyone.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Old particle board is a health hazard as it gives off formaldehyde and other lovely stuff. You sure you can't gently detach the base cabinets once the counter tops are off? I mean, in a trainwreck house like this, how 'custom' can they be? Skipping that, you don't have to chisel under them, that's what 1/4 round is for.

They aren't standard dimensions, they were built in-place by someone. The kitchen also doesn't use the standard dimensions that everyone uses now (1950's house, remember), so I'd have to have cabinetry built and installed, and that's more expensive that I want to deal with right now.

There's a good 1-2 inch "lip" on the bottom of each cabinet that juts out from where the actual base is, it'll look really weird if I don't try to make that flush.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

tater_salad posted:

be careful of fiberous tilles if there are any in those layers.. a lot of square tiles had asbestos in them, if it's sheets of leolium then you're okay.. if it's tiles then you may want to either not touch it.. or do what you can to not get mesothelioma, which usually means calling a special abatement company.

No tiles. Whatever the original layer (linoleum or tile, most likely linoleum given the other houses on the street) was it was removed before they put the board down for the grey layer of linoleum.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

MikeyTsi posted:

They aren't standard dimensions, they were built in-place by someone. The kitchen also doesn't use the standard dimensions that everyone uses now (1950's house, remember), so I'd have to have cabinetry built and installed, and that's more expensive that I want to deal with right now.

There's a good 1-2 inch "lip" on the bottom of each cabinet that juts out from where the actual base is, it'll look really weird if I don't try to make that flush.

Ah yes, the uppers come down on those to, what, 12" from the counters? That "lip" thing does sound weird, mind posting pics of the kitchen cabs?

FISHMANPET posted:

Asbestos tiles are actually pretty safe to remove, you just need a respirator. Even when you break up the tiles, the asbestos fibers are still trapped to the tile and won't go airborne the way loose fibers from insulation.
I watched Mike Holmes on Holmes on Homes have his crew remove asbestos tiles and if I can't trust him then I can't trust anyone.

Agreed, the asbestos is mixed in. One of those sharp-enough-to-shave-with 8" floor scrapers might be a good investment at this point. I still have the one I bought for a single job pulling up linoleum tiles. It paid for itself, not having to crawl around.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

WHAT'S UNDER THE FLOOR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYwNg0czSNM

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Got some work done this weekend:

Yup, that's a lot of paint.

Looks like this area was originally the pantry, when they reconfigured everything they just stuck a piece of wood between the joists then put board over it. Didn't even do any weather protection or anything.

Living room has a coat of paint. Looks like it'll need another for proper coverage.

Guest room is painted. Just need to pull up the pad and it's ready to refinish.

Front hallway is painted. I'll see if I can get a better picture, this looks a bit washed out.

Back hallway is painted. Need a better picture of this too, it's actually more of a grey.

MY GIRLFRIEND's step-father came by earlier today and pulled out the top two layers, for the most part. I'll need to chisel out the wood around the cabinets and then one more layer of wood needs to come out before I can do whatever I'm going to end up doing to floor the kitchen.

Here's a shot of that lip I was talking about.

It's getting down to the wire here, I have about another week to get the floors finished before I need to start moving in, and I'm getting really tired of being dicked around by contractors and Holly's stepfather (he was claiming he was going to help all week, but this is the first day he actually loving showed up). I'm probably going to have to just go in to a flooring store and pay them and a contractor a bunch of money to get the drat floors done. I'm a bit pissed about that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I wouldn't focus on the kitchen flooring until after you've moved in. There's not going to be any additional furniture added to the kitchen (or if there is, it'll be a breakfast table, but being a 50s house, it probably doesn't have the space for that), so you can do whatever you want whether you're moved in or not. It'll take a lot of stress off of you this way.

My 2 cents anyway.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I wouldn't focus on the kitchen flooring until after you've moved in. There's not going to be any additional furniture added to the kitchen (or if there is, it'll be a breakfast table, but being a 50s house, it probably doesn't have the space for that), so you can do whatever you want whether you're moved in or not. It'll take a lot of stress off of you this way.

My 2 cents anyway.

Yeah, that was sort of MY point, but that's what he decided to do to "help" (pulling up the floor in the library, the pad in the guest room, hell, ANYTHING would've been more useful).

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I JUST WANT SOMEONE TO COME LAY SOME FLOORING, THEN SAND AND FINISH. IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Found someone that's going to do all the flooring stuff I want for around $5000.

Negative is that he won't be able to get everything finished until mid-November.

MY GIRLFRIEND's step-father is collecting furniture to get it out of the house, and I've got another contractor that's going to be doing off-and-on work to:
Install doors for the sewing room and master bath.
Mud the walls in the sewing room so we can actually paint.
Finish removing the flooring in the kitchen so I can start laying tile.

Once the wall is mudded properly, we'll get the walls painted so we can get the cabinetry put back in and get the carpet installed. Then get the Master Bedroom painted and get the carpet replaced. Also need to do some touch-up painting in the living room and back hallway so we have good coverage.

Still need to get the exterior painted, but I'll do that piecemeal as weather allows.

And I still need to get someone out to get the hot tub fixed, cleaned, and filled.

I'm pretty seriously thinking about pulling out the secondary water heater ASAP and replacing it with a tankless unit. Should save quite a bit on electricity.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
My electric tank costs me about 15 cents a day to keep the water warm. It adds up over time but replacing it has a pretty long payoff time.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I have an electric tankless in what i'm guessing is the same region as you - judging by the trees. Best decision we ever made and it saved 10% on our electricity bills. But it also looks like you have gas available so gas tankless all the way.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Tigntink posted:

I have an electric tankless in what i'm guessing is the same region as you - judging by the trees. Best decision we ever made and it saved 10% on our electricity bills. But it also looks like you have gas available so gas tankless all the way.

One of the water tanks is gas, the other is electric.

That's right, two loving water heaters. One of which serves everything EXCEPT the master bathroom, and one for just the master bathroom. And the one that's just for the master bath is a full-size, and electric.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
How many lawnmowers do you have?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

MikeyTsi posted:

One of the water tanks is gas, the other is electric.

That's right, two loving water heaters. One of which serves everything EXCEPT the master bathroom, and one for just the master bathroom. And the one that's just for the master bath is a full-size, and electric.

...that's loving baller.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

thegoat posted:

How many lawnmowers do you have?

Just the ones that run, or in total?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I've been living in rentals since day 1. Now I know I have things to look forward to, including, but not limited to, hating flooring, walls, paint, tiles, tools, contractors, and girlfriend's stepfathers.

A cautionary tale well told.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I haven't even STARTED with the tiles yet.

That's actually probably going to be easy, comparatively speaking.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

kizudarake posted:

...that's loving baller.

Did I mention the hot tub?

All in all, the place is going to make a pretty nice party house once I'm "done".

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MikeyTsi posted:

All in all, the place is going to make a pretty nice party house once I'm "done".

heh you said done.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MikeyTsi posted:

When you get to it in like 5 years.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MikeyTsi posted:

Go into a quiet room and listen carefully. Hear that sucking sound? That's the sound of a transdimensional wormhole that was created when you assumed ownership. It starts in your wallet and transcends time and space to suck money out and transfer it directly to the bank accounts of nearby hardware stores. It will never stop.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Go into a quiet room and listen carefully. Hear that sucking sound? That's the sound of a transdimensional wormhole that was created when you assumed ownership. It starts in your wallet and transcends time and space to suck money out and transfer it directly to the bank accounts of nearby hardware stores. It will never stop.

And yet, he'll never have to allow a property manager access for an inspection, he can put as many holes in his walls as he likes or even remove walls, can has make improvements without enriching someone else at his own expense...

Home ownership has drawbacks, sure, but I think the positives outweigh them by a huge margin.

This house is going to be awesome, I think.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Magnus Praeda posted:

And yet, he'll never have to allow a property manager access for an inspection, he can put as many holes in his walls as he likes or even remove walls, can has make improvements without enriching someone else at his own expense...

Home ownership has drawbacks, sure, but I think the positives outweigh them by a huge margin.

This house is going to be awesome, I think.

Agreed with all, I'm glad that I bought a house several years ago. More power to the OP.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

"Sweat Equity" FTW.

Also, not paying someone else's mortgage, and at least some of the money I'm paying ends up staying mine (the principal part).

And houses are generally an appreciating asset, as opposed to pretty much any other physical asset.

And you get tax breaks.

Also, I'm immediately saving $500/mo. by having this house instead of the place I'm renting. If I were to save a good portion of that that gives me a LOT of money each year to make cool improvements.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

It's like a boat, except this is an asset that will appreciate instead of depreciating forever. :)

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

SneakyFrog posted:

heh you said done.

Tigntink posted:

When you get to it in like 5 years.

Hot Tub is part of THIS STAGE of "done". This work is to make it "livable", and I'll probably do a major project each year with minor projects scattered around those.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

MikeyTsi posted:

It's like a boat, except this is an asset that will appreciate instead of depreciating forever. :)

Yeah, I used to work with some boat owners, and they always said that the boat was like a hole in the water that you toss money into and watch it disappear.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Yeah, I used to work with some boat owners, and they always said that the boat was like a hole in the water that you toss money into and watch it disappear.

Yeah, pretty much every boat owner says that.

Also: "The two best days of a boat owner's life are when they buy the boat, and when they sell the boat".

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

MikeyTsi posted:

Yeah, pretty much every boat owner says that.

Also: "The two best days of a boat owner's life are when they buy the boat, and when they sell the boat".

No no, it's "the day you get the boat is the second best day of your life. The day you sell the boat is the best."

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MikeyTsi posted:

Hot Tub is part of THIS STAGE of "done". This work is to make it "livable", and I'll probably do a major project each year with minor projects scattered around those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTgXnDZoYNA

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Welp.

The contractor neglected to inform me that the floor needs to be at "65-70" in order to work on it; I'd disconnected the thermostat to paint and hadn't bothered to hook it back up yet because no one is occupying the house. He said it would take a week to get up to temp and that's going to totally gently caress the schedule to get the floors done. So I have to figure out if I want to pay yet ANOTHER month for rent for two places (through December), or if I want to basically live in 1/3 of the house for about a month while the floors are being done.

And I got laid-off from my job on Monday, so I get to stress about finding another job. Rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MikeyTsi posted:

Welp.

The contractor neglected to inform me that the floor needs to be at "65-70" in order to work on it; I'd disconnected the thermostat to paint and hadn't bothered to hook it back up yet because no one is occupying the house. He said it would take a week to get up to temp and that's going to totally gently caress the schedule to get the floors done. So I have to figure out if I want to pay yet ANOTHER month for rent for two places (through December), or if I want to basically live in 1/3 of the house for about a month while the floors are being done.

And I got laid-off from my job on Monday, so I get to stress about finding another job. Rad.

poo poo is about to get real.

thats pretty intense for you. Me being the "rough it" type would go the frugal route given your recent economic setback, scaling back your expenses will really make the difference here unless you have a healthy financial pad you can afford to spare.