Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Do you guys reckon hand tattoos make a difference to a white collar career?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

id love to be charitable and say no, but honestly i think it depends entirely on the career and the content of the tattoo

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Bape Culture posted:

I think we're now at only face and neck tattoos making people bat an eyelid

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

Get an interview and get recruited before the current everything-via-zoom period is over if it's for a job you're looking at.

For some traditional firms (ie the kind where you've got senior partners who've been there decades or similar), there are for sure interviewers who wouldn't like it depending on the level you're going in at. There are way way more visible tattoos on people in white collar firms now than there were 10 or 15 years ago though, particularly given that a lot were moving away from traditional shirt+tie to accepting dress down as standard. In customer/client-facing jobs where you'll be meeting people, there'll be firms that don't like it though for sure. It's definitely more accepted than how things used to be. As a guy, I was told to take a regular ear piercing out for an interview 15 years back while now tbh no one would bat an eyelid about a guy with a pierced ear.

Once you're in the firm and doing well it's different because then you'll just be "that person with the tattoos" but it could for sure impact you getting in the door. One of my previous managers was certainly not keen on people she interviewed who had visible tattoos, even though multiple people on her own team had visible tattoos, was a weird double standard.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
If you tattoo useful formulas or whatever on to your hand it could be seen as a positive

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Bape Culture posted:

Should it? No.

Can it? Yes.

It all depends on the prejudices and biases (conscious or otherwise) of the person recruiting you. Some people wouldn't give two shits, others are still OMG GANGS HE/SHE IS GONNA KILL MY KIDS.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Daktar posted:

please disable you're adblock

At least the recipe looks decent, lentil and coconut soup. Now the question is whether I can actually get half the ingredients from the very empty Co-Op.
Are you browsing on a VPN or something? BBC doesn't have adverts unless you're browsing from outside the UK.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Ewan posted:

Are you browsing on a VPN or something? BBC doesn't have adverts unless you're browsing from outside the UK.

Think its one of their 'commercial' wings, so it can show ads. Like top gear.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Not as far as I know, but I think BBC Good Food is part of their commercial arm. This is the first time I've been on there that they've told me to turn off my adblocker though.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Weird - I tried it on Edge (no adblocker) and didn't get anything like what you're seeing. Maybe they just decided you REALLY like Microsoft so double adverts for you

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

You say arms I saw wings

This is why we didn't work out

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
There's a zero-sum thing going on as ad and script blockers become ever-more widely adopted: the poor saps who don't know to use them get absolutely hammered with ads and popups, 'cos they're the only audience left to see them.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Ewan posted:

Weird - I tried it on Edge (no adblocker) and didn't get anything like what you're seeing. Maybe they just decided you REALLY like Microsoft so double adverts for you

Maybe they're punishing me for the temerity of having an adblocker in the first place.

Ratjaculation posted:

You say arms I saw wings

This is why we didn't work out

Arms, wings, they both taste good with hot sauce.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

i keep meaning to buy a cheap raspberry pi and do that thing where you install an ad-blocker on it and then connect it to your router so it filters out ads before they even reach your device, but i can never be bothered.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Pi hole? It does seem good, but I do wonder if sites are able to detect it. Might as well keep using a regular adblock if so. Though I do hear it can block ads in phone apps too, so that would be handy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bape Culture posted:

getting oval office tattooed across your fingers will even if its accurate

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

i think the problem with the raspberry pi thing is that only stops the actual ad content; it doesn't stop all the bullshit scripts etc so the websites will still look like poo poo just with big empty spaces covering the content rather than the ads.

I use ublock origins and its great. Pretty much never had a problem with a site not working with it on, and if it does it is v easy just to turn off temporarily for that particular website and session. It also has a cool 'zapper' feature where you can 'zap' particular elements from showing which often helps with stupid overlays (like poorly engineered paywalls that are just a scripted overlay but the content is still there behind).

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Jose posted:

getting oval office tattooed across your fingers will even if its accurate

My knuckle tats say simply;

MODS

KNEW

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bape Culture posted:

My knuckle tats say simply;

MODS

KNEW

i know

that you're a oval office

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

LAND

LORD

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Daktar posted:

Pi hole? It does seem good, but I do wonder if sites are able to detect it. Might as well keep using a regular adblock if so. Though I do hear it can block ads in phone apps too, so that would be handy.

I've got a pihole and have just started getting the 'please disable you are adblocker' on the good food site

So yes basically

Still really good though, I miss it on my phone when I leave the house

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's a zero-sum thing going on as ad and script blockers become ever-more widely adopted: the poor saps who don't know to use them get absolutely hammered with ads and popups, 'cos they're the only audience left to see them.

Can I get an adblocker on my android phone?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I use uBlock on my phone as a browser addon

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I use a combination of pihole and ublock on devices that support it which filters out pretty much everything. The only one I've not looked into is blocking youtube ads on the TV app because they serve the ads and content from the same place so it's really difficult to block them using the pihole without breaking things

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Aside from paying for YouTube premium there isn't any way good to block YT ads on devices

Adguard works well on android phones for everything else and works kind of like a local pihole on you phone using a vpn

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i have mead

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't, but I've ordered some. What did you get?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i was selling weapons to our enemies that year

The DnD thread?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

the light lindisfarne mead because thats all they had

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Bape Culture posted:

Dunno, but if you see a hospital consultant with full sleeves it's me.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fair, they dont let you in the clubhouse without full sleeves off season

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can hide hand tattoos during interviews by using a wrist bandage from the pound shop.

High five to the other full sleeve goons.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

David Beckham's got tattoos all over and he's a lovely lad

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I'm going to invent a suit with a see thru panel to show off my tramp stamp

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I've got a random dot on my left middle finger, does that count as a hand tat?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

That's e in Morse code and I don't think this line of questioning applies to you anyway

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I could always change the hi-vis and wellies for white collar and chinos. I was a hotel manager before I moved into construction and landscaping lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did somebody have a case of the Mondays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's Saturday?