Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/UKRaveComments/status/1332328842808225792?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The god drat jet stream just shifted north!

If you were outside then it wasn’t just you there was a sudden switch where it started to get hotter. Basically there was this big lump of pressure over Greenland pushing the jet stream and all the cold air south, once it dissipated it allowed the jet stream to move upwards and the hot air from Africa to start moving towards us.

Should get slowly hotter and more humid with Saturday being a normal summers day - the modelling shows heat for at least the next week.

For real, if you learn to read the jet stream forecasts then you can predict the weather better than the met does https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NEVER , i will stick to my trusted hanging seaweede and pressing my ear againste tree for to hear how its waters be turning :witch:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I think they know about it

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/learn-about/weather/types-of-weather/wind/what-is-the-jet-stream

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

New Fudge Alert!

So, just in time for the bank holiday, I’m excited to announce a new Fudge Drop!

We’ve got a selection of delicious flavours up for sale, including a couple of brand new ones! (And I’ll admit to being particularly proud of them both)

New releases:

Original Vanilla
Lemon Meringue Pie
Nibblez
Chocolate Orange
- making its long anticipated return in an improved form!
Peanut Butter Crunch
- Smooth peanut butter and a frankly ludicrous quantity of chopped honey roasted peanuts combine to make a crunchy, sweet, salty and nutty treat!
Coconut Macaroon - Using the dark arts of Fudge Science, we’ve managed to recreate the flavour of this delicious traditional treat in fudge form! A must-try!

All stock is now live and for sale at www.Fudjit.co.uk :)

Also, we will be trading in person at the LarpCon Kit Fair in Coalville, Leicestershire on the weekend of the 5th and 6th of June. If you’re in the area and want to pick up some special deals on fudge (and also see a load of other awesome traders), check out the event page on Facebook and come by! It’s an event being run under Covid-safe guidelines with safety at the forefront.

And if you drop by, do the ‘Stairs’ thing for extra special goon only deals!

Cheers all! Happy fudging!

Camrath fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 26, 2021

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

learnincurve posted:

Should get slowly hotter and more humid with Saturday being a normal summers day - the modelling shows heat for at least the next week.
Oh gently caress.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Yeh that doesn’t give the modelling or tell you how to read it.

Basically if the big band is above the UK then the air we get is coming up from the Sahara Desert and that’s a heatwave in the summer, mild weather in the winter, if the big band is below the UK then oh gently caress it’s cold it’s cold Arctic wind hitting us. If the band is on the UK then rain is coming, and if there are stripy lines in the band then that’s high winds.

We really can sit here and predict the weather just from the jet stream modelling with more accuracy than professional weather experts could in the 1980s.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Doing better than '80s weather forecasters isn't much of a challenge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnxjZ-aFkjs

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

learnincurve posted:

We really can sit here and predict the weather just from the jet stream modelling with more accuracy than professional weather experts could in the 1980s.

Ok so you've updated your claim to being better than dudes that didn't have any computers. Yeah I guess so.

Lol I was about to suggest you check to see if that mould had come back

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

learnincurve posted:

The god drat jet stream just shifted north!

If you were outside then it wasn’t just you there was a sudden switch where it started to get hotter. Basically there was this big lump of pressure over Greenland pushing the jet stream and all the cold air south, once it dissipated it allowed the jet stream to move upwards and the hot air from Africa to start moving towards us.

For real, if you learn to read the jet stream forecasts then you can predict the weather better than the met does https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/jetstream

Hey have you heard about these things called contrails??

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ok so you've updated your claim to being better than dudes that didn't have any computers. Yeah I guess so.

Lol I was about to suggest you check to see if that mould had come back

*the point is if I can read them any idiot can not that I have super weather reading skills. The jet stream models we have today are still roughly accurate two weeks in advance where as the met will only give you predictions 5 days in advance.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

perhaps theyre trying to be more than roughly accurate?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

eurgh im under pressure, mainly from me, to invite this lass to my birthday that is curently only me and me pal. eurgh

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

fridge corn posted:

Hey have you heard about these things called contrails??

Nice try chem trailer

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'm reminded of a fun teaching memory I have where I asked a little boy if he was going to invite any girls to his birthday party that weekend and he was instantly like, "Ugh, no!!!". This was shortly after giving me a very well-spoken (for his age) account of current technological innovations (he was Chinese).

Sometimes I miss teaching. :(

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

corntrails

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

:tinfoil:

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
Helping a mate get a flat and the landlord is doing some reference thing from a landlord association, fair enough; asks for your NI number... bit off, found their forum which has ridiculous poo poo from one dude:

quote:

When I am arranging a viewing I ask what the tenant will bring to show me. The minimum I accept is ; identification for each adult, one recent wage slip for each adult tenant, at least one month bank statement for each adult tenant. I have had a couple of people complain this is too intrusive just for a viewing.

quote:

I am quite worried by the RLA news report about Information Commissioner warning landlords against using social media to check on tenants. It is such a useful tool for catching out people whose life does not match their words that I see this as potentially quite a serious blow to the vetting process. I wonder whether a way round it is to say to applicants "show me your Facebook account so you do not have to fear me secretly snooping on you."...My vetting process is very thorough and some will find it intrusive. I visit them in their home. I look at their bank statements and wage slips. And I often talk to their neighbours...as well as credit check and landlord ref.
punchline:

quote:

My territory is bottom of the market Manchester. I am pretty hands on and thorough. My normal practice is to insist on credit check for the guarantor and a visit to their present home to make sure they are clean & tidy. I would also ask to see a recent bank statement.At the moment I am trying to let an immaculate house with lots of people interested but no one seems willing to let me go and check out their present home. I wonder whether I am being too strict and intrusive. I turn down viewings for people who live too far for me to go round and see.

What loving crackpot is inspecting peoples dishwashing for the privilege to live in some hole in Salford? "Your hooverings off, is this really the standard you think allows you to cast eyes on my £80 a week one bed across from the methadone clinic?! Richard! Get the car!"

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

landlords used to get to sleep with the bride on her wedding night or something. Theyre entitled privileged out of their tree (it is theirs) cunts.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
God, landlords really are scum.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
One of the old men from group hates landlords unless it’s this one friend of his who repeatedly gets “ripped off” by tenants when they realise that he has no intention of fixing the problems in his lovely above a take out flat and withhold rent.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The last landlord we had before buying this place was incredibly poo poo. Among other things there was no gas at all into the property as the previous tenant didn't let the gas board in to replace the supply pipe so was completely shut off, and no one checked this before renting the place to us. However he was also a massive coward. Any time we had a dispute I suggested "We could see what a magistrate's court thinks of all this" and he backed down immediately. I have to assume we were the tip of the iceberg for dodgy poo poo he was pulling

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

eurgh im under pressure, mainly from me, to invite this lass to my birthday that is curently only me and me pal. eurgh

Threesome, nice.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
don't delay, get yours today

sex arse :sexarse:

:thumbsup:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Sex arse for arse sex, ears sex, or Ares sex

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Butte gently caress it

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

There's some weird adverts going on at the moment from the domino's don't buy scary foreign food to exercise is hard so buy stocks instead (????)

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday, now my arm hurts and I feel a bit sick.

I'm currently at work and just want to go home :(

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I don't know if I should be worried that the UK seems to have wholesale switched over to the Pfizer vaccine now. Never thought I'd have vaccine envy.

I just had the good old AZ blood clotty one at the start of the month :(

And yeah the side effects are not fun - the day after is horrible. Seems to be quite variable as to how bad you are affected. I wonder whether it's an indication of how badly you would've been hit by the real thing? I had zero energy the day after my jab.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Apparently the side effects for the second AZ shot are very mild though, I’ll find out for me self tomorrow :D

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Dell_Zincht posted:

Got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday, now my arm hurts and I feel a bit sick.

I'm currently at work and just want to go home :(

Absolutely go home, you don't now how bad you might feel and if you drive that might end badly... Didn't you total a car recently?

Also if you end up feeling ok well that is a day for you.

I got almost zero effects from az1, to the Po by that I am suspicious that they missed or something...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Placed my first fudge order last night! :toot:

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

The_Doctor posted:

Placed my first fudge order last night! :toot:

It’ll ship tomorrow with all the rest- should have it in time for the weekend :)

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Pfizer dose 1 done. I can feel so much closer to licking all the things again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/EmmaVardyTV/status/1397857837632692228?s=20

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

captainclaw posted:

Pfizer dose 1 done. I can feel so much closer to licking all the things again
I feel like the UK as a whole stopped really giving a poo poo about hand hygiene pretty early on in the pandemic. I mean there’s still sanitising stations outside supermarkets etc but there isn’t that big push to wash hands thoroughly that I’ve seen. Even gloves have fallen out of fashion. It’s all masks now.

That being said I do know of people who would sterilise their food deliveries whenever they arrived, avoiding touching them for a day etc. I still wash my hands after getting a delivery but then just grab stuff out of the fridge or cupboard without caring, so it’s probably totally psychosomatic protection.

Is the infection risk from surfaces pretty much not worth thinking about that much?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

having sanitary hands is a good thing but the general sense is that you ain't gonna catch 'rona from touching a doorhandle

the received wisdom does seem to be that you need Reggie Q. Sickman to heave out enough virus-filled breaths to get enough of a concentration to allow the virus to get a toehold in your system. you are unlikely to get One Tenacious Virus sneaking into you via touching a communal sex arse or something.

but handwashing/sanitisation is good for preventing the spread of other stuff that could affect your ability to fend off corona

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

I feel really happy today. I hope everyone else is feeling good?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've just been seeing family for a couple of days - 1st time I've slept away from home in about a year. I've also walked around Birmingham and looked at stuff for a bit and now I'm on the way home on a train.

It all feels very adventurous :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainclaw
Sep 16, 2020

Durzel posted:

I feel like the UK as a whole stopped really giving a poo poo about hand hygiene pretty early on in the pandemic. I mean there’s still sanitising stations outside supermarkets etc but there isn’t that big push to wash hands thoroughly that I’ve seen. Even gloves have fallen out of fashion. It’s all masks now.

That being said I do know of people who would sterilise their food deliveries whenever they arrived, avoiding touching them for a day etc. I still wash my hands after getting a delivery but then just grab stuff out of the fridge or cupboard without caring, so it’s probably totally psychosomatic protection.

Is the infection risk from surfaces pretty much not worth thinking about that much?

I still wash my hands regularly and sanitise before/after going into supermakets. I stopped wearing gloves because they were so much waste in my house of 6 people.