Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Muffin
Apr 25, 2007

Women like you are the reason this chickens late in the first place.
Drove to Loughborough, had my 2nd jab.

Now I'm eating a fuckoff kebab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Durzel posted:

Sunny and hot on Monday, overcast yesterday, pissing it down today, sunny-ish again tomorrow.

Imagine actually holidaying over here as a foreigner and actually trying to plan something. When I went to Florida you could actually make plans for the whole week and know to a certainty that you wouldn't even have to think about what the weather would be doing.

We get like 3 days of consecutive sunshine and it's front page news.

Having said that, when we do get sunny weather over here it's broken (due to Brexit I guess) anyway. 22C+ and crazy high humidity at 11pm is a joke.

The Met Office released a warning of severe rainfall and thunderstorms yesterday, about an hour after the place was hit by severe rainfall and thunderstorms.

Today they decided to cover their rear end and release a pre-emptive warning for the same, and it's just been grey skies with sporadic mild drizzle.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I didn't get the opportunity to gently caress up installing my steel assemblies cos the guy who made them already hosed them up and did then upside down and is blaming my drawings.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

we had thunderstorms and then watched a documentary on netflix about egypt

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

we had thunderstorms and then watched a documentary on netflix about egypt

is it bad that i instantly think ancient? like imagine being a modern egyptian youth trying to grow your start up or whatever and just constantly people doing the dance and asking how's your father? bit wrapped up in himself? no thats my mum actually

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I like the Silent Hill soundtracks. The younger and less obese me who had never had mysterious crippling knee pains would go jogging at dusk, and horror movies and video games had the best music to motivate me.

This might be because I'm a big girl's blouse, it may be less effective on people made of sterner stuff. I've never played a video game and can't watch horror movies.

Although I was a woman going jogging alone at nightfall, it ought to have been scary enough.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lady Demelza posted:

Although I was a woman going jogging alone at nightfall, it ought to have been scary enough.

i say this to set your mind at rest but actually, statistically its apparently the people you know that are much more likely to do something horrible to you.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

you've never played a video game?? wtf !!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i just play my civ 2 game on my home computer, i'll get that shithead xerxes, yet

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i say this to set your mind at rest but actually, statistically its apparently the people you know that are much more likely to do something horrible to you.

Yeah, I've met me, I understand why they'd do it.

Genuinely haven't played a video game. One summer I got to play with a sibling's Game boy, which means I recognise the Tetris music.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
getting jabbed again today. can;t wait to go clubbing

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Lady Demelza posted:

Yeah, I've met me, I understand why they'd do it.

Genuinely haven't played a video game. One summer I got to play with a sibling's Game boy, which means I recognise the Tetris music.

Last console I played on was the mega drive and I was pants - could never beat any game except this dungeons and dragons one.( Ioved that game.)

These new fangled games are way too complicated for me.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Sloth Life posted:

Lol all new games are glorified cutscenes designed to be completed with your eyes shut

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Sloth Life posted:

Last console I played on was the mega drive and I was pants - could never beat any game except this dungeons and dragons one.( Ioved that game.)

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Lol all new games are glorified cutscenes designed to be completed with your eyes shut

Yeah lol games are way fucken easier than the old 8 and 16 bit stuff. Even from games aren't nearly as difficult as some of that old poo poo

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Been a great few years for people that have only played the mega drive tbh - new Sonic that looks and plays like the old ones, new toejam and earl, new streets of rage

go nuts

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i like a challenge, that's why i play my civ 2 game

that shithead xerxes thinks he's smarter than me but he's not, i am p sure i nearly have his game figured out :mad:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I was pretty good at sonic the hedgehog and whatever but give me the cowboy game or something like that now and I'm just bent over running in circles zoomed in at the floor with the screen bleeding and yelping until I'm dead. Can't handle it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Every time I think I'm done with Rimworld, there's a new expansion or a new mod and off I go again.

It's that dreadful time of day when I'm sleepy from lunch, I've frankly done everything productive that I'm going to do at the office today and yet there's still several hours before I can go home.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Lady Demelza posted:

I like the Silent Hill soundtracks. The younger and less obese me who had never had mysterious crippling knee pains would go jogging at dusk, and horror movies and video games had the best music to motivate me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qalGezr76o

Silent Hill 2 had such a great soundtrack

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

silent hill 2 is a great game and if you have never played a modern game you should give it a go

play it in the dark with headphones for maximum spook

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Silent hill 2 is 20 years old, it is not by any definition a modern game

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Imagine not playing videogames. They've brought me so much joy over the course of my life, I genuinely can't imagine being without them.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I think what he means is it’s more modern than Tetris which they said was the last game they tried.

Bit of a double meaning there though, could also take it as if you’ve not played anything modern which would make the game feel horribly dated by comparison and it still works.

I replayed the first 4 Silent Hills recently. 2 and 1 are the best ones. 4 isn’t bad but I think 3 is actually the worst this time around. Might do Homecoming and Downpour soon but see how I feel. No patience for Origins and Shattered Memories though I’m not that keen on those two

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

no what i meant was if you play a modern game first then the controls will feel annoying and the graphics will look bad in comparison

if you have not really played any modern games then it will be alright

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

I've a fairly big library of modern PC/PS4 games I've never played, but I regularly load up old Mega Drive games on my Pi. There's something satisfying about loading up old games I've played to death and just zoning out while playing them to completion in a single evening.

Most modern games seem to be a ton of pointless busywork to pad out the gameplay time.

Old games - fly over this power-up to get a 3-way pew pew megalaser.

New games - collect 250 stem bolts and 10 ionizers to craft a 5% intensity upgrade to your primary laser cannon.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I hear that at Oxford ‘modern history’ is anything post Roman so by that definition it’s a modern game but then again so would all games ever

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gasmask posted:

I hear that at Oxford ‘modern history’ is anything post Roman so by that definition it’s a modern game but then again so would all games ever

Out there right now an indie studio is making a heartfelt tribute to any game you can think of, so it checks out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Most modern games seem to be a ton of pointless busywork to pad out the gameplay time.

Old games - fly over this power-up to get a 3-way pew pew megalaser.

New games - collect 250 stem bolts and 10 ionizers to craft a 5% intensity upgrade to your primary laser cannon.

most old games are "die a shitload until you learn the pattern", which is pointless busywork to pad out the gameplay time

e:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Out there right now an indie studio is making a heartfelt tribute

ouuuh,

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There exists only prehistory, classical history, and various forms of modern history. Times are separated into these periods by the number of white people who were writing things down.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

most old games are "die a shitload until you learn the pattern", which is pointless busywork to pad out the gameplay time

Fair point. I did say games I had played to death and can basically complete on muscle memory alone.

8-bit gaming was my first era but I've no desire to replay many games from then because they were brutally hard and unfair, either by choice or by poor design. For me the 16-bit era struck a nice balance between "hard but beatable with practice" and "slog to fill time between cut-scenes".

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah definitely

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't know where to start with video games.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
may I suggest Dark Souls?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I would suggest don't.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Lady Demelza posted:

I wouldn't know where to start with video games.

most of the kids thesedays just watch other people playing games

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

My 60+ mum has been into videogames since I went to uni and left my PS1 at home. She switched it on one day and got hooked on Tomb Raider.

A few years ago I bought her a PS4 and linked it to my Playstation Plus account. She's played the gently caress out of all the remastered Uncharted games and the latest Tomb Raiders while me, a nerd, has never played any of them other than one of the newer TR games. She also completed Death Stranding while I just couldn't get into it and has finished Ghost of Tsushima while I've only had time to get through the intro.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

my mum also plays games but she only plays mmorpgs (she doesn't have the reaction times for anything more involved). her main one at the moment is either ff14 or eso but i forget which

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If you have a vaguely okay-ish PC then get the Xbox Game Pass and try a bit of everything, including the EA Play stuff, which you have to install separately. The biggest obstacle to playing games is probably learning how they're controlled, once you've got an idea of that then you can basically try anything and cultivate your personal taste.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Hades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

lord yes, I dont know how I'm still not remotely bored of it