Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

My part of the office was out of teabags, so I took like a dozen teabags from the kitchen in another part of the office, and not five minutes later I got a snotty email because some prick ratted me out. Did I mention that we're all the same company, and it's all paid for from the same account?

Back when I worked in a big office, this girl put some toast on in the kitchen, then went off to do something else. The toast burned and set the fire alarms off and the entire 14 storey building had to be evacuated. A stern email was subsequently sent around about how setting your toast on fire was Not Allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What can you do with sour cream apart from an accompaniment to chilli.

They only sell the drat stuff in big pots, so I buy one, use one scoop with dinner, then end up throwing the rest away.

It makes me feel slightly guilty about food waste.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've just bought one of Fanny Tingle's pies.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'm taking a break from the other thread: it's become painfully unchill.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Ratjaculation posted:

I've got to go to Chester.

Train or car? Both take about 30m, but one involves no waiting and the other involves no parking (or driving)

What to do

If you take the train, someone else drives and you're free to drink as much as you like once you're there.

On the other hand, if you have a car, you're already paying hundreds of pounds a month for the privilege, so you may as well use it, I guess.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I am now better educated about the culinary possibilities of sour cream.

I've also found out it lasts for ages in the fridge: I'd assumed it went off after a couple of days.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
This is always the very slowest point of the working day for me. Lunch is a fading memory and yet clocking out time seems an eternity away.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

goatface posted:

What's everyone else having?

I had my favorite gross home-invented recipe.

The 2 most prominent ingredients are tinned sardines and pickled chillies.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

hemale in pain posted:

Id eat that. Anything pickled is loving great

- Squeeze the juice from a lemon into a small tupperware container and add a pinch of salt.
-Tip the tinned sardines into the container and mix them in well. Leave the mixture to fester for a bit while you do the other stuff.
- Chop a smallish onion and fry it in a saucepan. After a few minutes add a chopped red pepper and fry that too.
- In between the frying, add to the fish mix a squirt of tomato puree, ground black pepper, monosodium glutamate, a dash of fish sauce and as many forkfulls of pickled chillies as you can handle. Add sufficient splashes of water to enable everything to be mixed up into a thick fishy goop.
- Now smash a garlic clove and fry it with the onions and peppers for a minute or so (don't let it burn!)
- Mix the fish goop in with the frying stuff, add a bit more water if needed and bring the whole mess to a slow simmer.
- Stick the lid on the pan and leave it to do its thing while you cook some pasta to mix in with it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Hunter-gatherer lifestyle except it involves foraging in the office for bog roll, biscuits and freeze-dried coffee.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I quite like hot weather tbh :)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just been shopping in Bristol centre and it was rammed - haven't seen it that busy since last summer. Could almost have been normal if not for the masks and the queues to get into the big shops.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

mikus delivery service

I Googled this assuming that it was some wholesome Manga series and was disappointed to find that it doesn't exist.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mojo Jojo posted:

We've finally had an offer on a house accepted so now I'm building a shrine to the spirits of housing chains to ensure we get to move before 2025

Welcome to the bizarre universe of trivial and yet exceedingly important forms and inexplicable delays that push the timeline for your purchase far, far beyond the end of your rented property agreement.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've forgotten how to negotiate crowds: dozy idiots keep getting in MY way and I get mad at them.

More seriously, after a period of being able to get in and out of a sandwich shop in under a minute, there's been the unwelcome return of the Dithering customer, which has delayed my lunch on several occasions now.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Logging into Planetside 2 for the 1st time in a year.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
RIP in peace, Cyril (not literally, I hope).

I am eating a beef massaman curry and it's turned out drat good.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What sort of coward ever deletes their posts

Own that poo poo and be proud

el dingo posted:

Anyway if you wouldn't mind I'd appreciate the massaman recipe. This restaurant down the road does a beef shin bone marrow massaman and is is insanely delicious

I basically just followed the BBC version (but with extra dried chillies):

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/beef-massaman-curry

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Tamarind paste can be surprisingly hard to get hold of.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Urgh, back to work and it's Day 1 of month end for me, which means lots and lots of tedious reports to run.

Uuuuuuuuuurgh.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The internet: "Don't click on this, whatever you do!"

Me, every time: *clicks*

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

hemale in pain posted:

Ahhh we're moving out of a flat and definitely getting a tiny house now and leaving reading!! Kinda excited

I think I'll have to commute to Reading but it's like £4 on the train and gently caress anything is better than living in this cramped hell hole with no garden

Are you going to Newbury. The train'll be nice: you'll be able to look at all the people around you and think: "you've got to go all the way to London and then get on the Tube, but I'll be getting off in just a couple of minutes :smug:"

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Newbury is Ok. It's a small town but there's enough younger people there with money that the town centre doesn't entirely shut down after 6pm like a lot of small towns do. Also, Reading, Oxford and London are all short train journeys away for when you get bored.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Move to Basingstoke, then you can go to Winchester on the train whenever you like.

You would be living in Basingstoke, tho.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The rental market is red hot compared to what it used to be. When I got a job offer and was looking for a place in Bristol I had an awful time - places would go so quickly and I kept missing them. I was finally one of the 1st people to view a decent flat, agreed to take it there and then and rushed off to the agent's office to put the deposit cash down.

When I left the flat to move into the place I was buying, the letting agent had a new tenant signed up within 24 hours of it going on the website.

So when a place goes on, the estate agent is probably assuming that if you're not one of the first to view, you've already missed the boat.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Meat Wagon posted:

Saw in the local news that someone I kinda know has been seriously injured and has to learn to walk again. Bad poo poo. Then I made a terrible mistake - I read the comments. It shouldn't shock me, I know the sort of person that comments on local news is the worst, most miserable person ever but man... scumbags the lot of them

Every local news website has a small number of unspeakably bitter and resentful people, who are the only ones who've ever bothered to make accounts and post below the articles. It's almost a ritual position at this point. Doomspeakers? Spitemerchants?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I've just made the amazing discovery that if you put bundles of fresh herbs in water, instead of just leaving them in the cupboard to wilt, they last much, much longer!

I wish I'd thought of that like, 20 years ago.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here's a test for the thread: some sort of episodic kid's tv programme from the 1980's. One episode was about this girl that had a magic video controller and whenever she got bored she'd just fast-forward through to something more interesting. Boring class: fast forward; teacher telling her off: fast forward etc etc. Anyway, she ended up fast forwarding through so much of her life that she ended up an old woman and died as she desperately tried to find the rewind button. (There was a moral in there about not wishing your life away or some poo poo.)

It quite freaked me out as a kid, does anyone know what it was? I bet it's on Youtube, if I knew the right search term.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Argh, I can't find it: I can't Google with sufficient precision from my vague memories. I'd hoped to return here in triumph, with a Youtube link.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Ha ha, I found those posts while I was searching: nobody had an answer for that guy, either. Glad to know I didn't just imagine the whole thing, though.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Also, you can't sit indoors yet. I like pubs but if I'm sat outside on a bench being rained on, I'd really rather be at home.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just been out for a few beers with some of the guys from work. I'd forgotten how much I missed that sort of thing. Just chilling on a street with ten different pubs on it and hundreds of people celebrating their Fridays together.

I REALLY hope this Indian variant fucks off and doesn't spoil everything for us.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Front page of the Bristol Post:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/man-throws-whole-strawberry-cheesecake-5413570

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
"Abrupt and inexplicable."

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

learnincurve posted:

I’ll repeat this story again

That's... quite a story!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
When I was a kid, I had a mate whose parents had carpet in their bathroom :barf:

They had one of those weird fluffy toilet seats too, iirc.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

when we were looking at houses we looked at a bisf house that was pretty big and very cheap

turns out almost nowhere will give you a mortgage for one so you need to buy them outright now

i can see a situation in 20 years or so where todays new builds are going to end up like that

I might have said this before but I've been watching with fascination the construction of a little development of new builds on a plot down the road from me. They're terraced houses but they don't use bricks! It's just a framework filled in with insulation, some sort of chipboard and then a brick-patterned facade to go on the outside. I have no idea what the intended lifespan is for buildings like that but I can imagine them being in quite a state after 20 years of Uk weather.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

CancerCakes posted:

I always find meal deals to be disappointing, but then again I am normally getting it at a train station where they know you are trapped and have no choices. However, I haven't been on a train for almost 18 months now though so I can't categorically confirm that they are still a thing - so the situation might have changed.

I miss those happy days of buying a £5.50 ham and mozzarella baguette from Upper Crust.

No, seriously, I miss them. I want to go travelling again :(

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The police helicopter's been hovering around my house for like 15 minutes.

You'd think they'd be staying on the ground in this weather.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Then how are you posting!!!!?

I'm supposed to be getting up early to go to the gym but I can hear the rain spattering against my windows and I can't face it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
What's this weather like, eh guys?

Seriously: I had to switch my central heating on for an hour yesterday evening and it's nearly June what the gently caress.