Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Natalie Fartman posted:

I also have to leave Tuna on her own and I'm sad because she's a real people cat tbh

All cat owners feel like this, until you realise that they just sleep all the time, and don't really miss you until it's feeding time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Galewolf posted:

My client drove me to see the road to Battle and, holy poo poo, that was incredibly beautiful road to drive in the early evening. I'm speechless about how amazing it was.

Tomorrow they'll take me for lunch by the seaside so at least that'll be fun.

I gotta visit the Hastings Battlefield as well.

I don't know how much is open in Hastings, but the Fishermans' End of the seafront is worth a look, walking from the pier to there will take you past the Old Town as well.

It's a shame the pier burned down, the penny and retro-video arcades used to be great, and the fresh doughnuts they made in front of you where amazing as a 9 year old.

When you do the battlefield tour, remember that the Saxon army under Harold had just fought off an invading Viking force, and spent the previous three days on a forced march from the North -and they where holding off a larger and better equipped Normal force until the shield wall was broken by part of the line going after some retreating cavalry...

My Grandad used to do guided tours round the Old Town, and I spent most of my Christmases in Hastings growing up.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 25, 2020

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Also because they're gears in a small box they're super fiddly to fix if they ever go wrong and as they're nowhere near as ubiquitous as a normal gear setup you'll struggle to find anyone other than a greybeard in a tiny shop to sort it for you.

Any city with a Cycle hire scheme - like London, Cardiff or milton keynes is using bikes with hub gears, so find out who fixes those and go there - I used to work for the one in Cardiff and it's run out of a small charity in Pontcanna, but since they're fixing 20+ vandalised bikes every day, they know those things inside out.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 26, 2020

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

goatface posted:

Wales has barely even unlocked yet. Locking down again wouldn't change much.

In Cardiff, other than the pubs being shut, you'd not know there's s lockdown at all. Everyone is ignoring distancing, not wearing masks, paying cash when they could use a card etc.

Lidl have even given up on single bagging the bakery stuff

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The Lidl near me (like, my closest shop apart from the dodgy corner shop where the kids on bikes that are drug couriers hang out) has stopped bothering to bag there bakery stuff, so no matter how nice the croissants are (and they are nice), I'm not going there.

Edit - have my cat, sitting out in the rain, in the cat-house I got him

Renfield fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 11, 2020

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

crispix posted:

That is so cute. Where did you get it?

He's a He, not an It ! Custard is a rescue that I've had for eight and a half years now :p

The House came from Amazon, it's listed as "Kerbl Cat House Lodge" This was back when I had more money than sense.
(My monster cat is so big, he doesn't fit through the bottom bits' door)

Renfield fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jul 12, 2020

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Work, the co-op, have a range of vegan sausage-rolls and steak bakes in the "hot food" range.
Only problem is my shop doesn't have the baking trays to do them yet (they are at least serious about keeping meat / vegan stuff separate).

I have a case of each in my freezer.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

i like solefald and i like this thread and everyone os going insane right now and it makes me sad

what is everyones favourite video game

I'm in Wales, where there is no mask mandate, and everyone is behaving like everything is normal.

I just put flea-stuff on my cat, and it's raining, so hes inside and meowing incessantly as the fleas act up as they die.

I've been playing the poo poo out of the new Samurai game - Ghost of Tsushima, and find myself composing very bad haiku when out in the real world.

Without a Mask.
No thought for others.
Cheesecake lung soon.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

A great, greasy hangover breakfast is:

4 - 5 inches of sliced chorizo
1 medium onion
1 egg
Salt and pepper
cooking oil

If you are able to cook this, you've not got a hangover.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

giffgaff it is thanks thread people

Giffgaff are expensive on PAYG - I was with them for years until I got the Three home broadband and realised that GiffGaff charge literally 5 times what they do for a PAYG SIM.
(mins - 15p vs 3p, txt 5p vs 2p and data 5p vs 1p per Mb)

Also, nth'ing Huawei - I got a PSmart (upgraded P10) and although it's two generations behind current, it's great for everything I want - and is old enough to be pre-ban, so still has Google support.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 8, 2020

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

I thought that was only in the states? Google works fine on my Mate 20. Has this changed in the newer ones here in the UK too?

Google are a US company and banned from doing business with Huawei. They (Huawei) are still using android, as it's open source- but, like Amazon tablets (and phones... remember those!) don't use Google services like the store etc.
But it wasn't made retroactive, so my P-Smart (And Fartman's P20) still work as well.

Renfield fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 8, 2020

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Don't have a computer, and use the phone to stream everything.

I'm on 3's 4/5G home broadband, and use more than that even when I'm not downloading 90Gb of Final Fantasy

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
In 2007 I went to Canada for the second (and so far last) time and was seriously thinking about moving there.

Dr Who - Love and monsters - the answer is this:

Blue Peter (the kids show) had a design-a-monster competition and the winner got made into an episode. It was literally designed by a child.
It's a terrible kids show that I stopped watching not long after Capaldi took over.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Natalie Fartman posted:

I know what I do isn't particularly difficult but I'm getting towards the end of my rope. I started a few paintings last night and it's been a while, because I've been stressed and all it did was make me realize how poo poo I am at capitalising my time outside of work. I'm usually asleep or entirely unmotivated.

This sounds very familiar - I've recently been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (and we're looking in to medication options); that took 8 hours of being shut in a small room in the hospital for every kind of test you can think of.

Talk to your GP about this, if it's a big chance in your behaviour, there might be something they can do you for.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Could be worse, I had a Amazon delivery yesterday a day early (so not on my day off) and the guy seamed to be trying to smash the glass in the door with a pair of pliers

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Bobby Deluxe posted:

im old enough to remember kids saying spacker shoes and nobody blinking an eyelid, jesus christ we are the worst generation

I'm old enough to have called mates/been called a "Joey" (Complete with the hand actions)

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Pringles where three loving quid in Sainsburys today.

And (although there really nice) who the gently caress is paying two pounds for a bag of big wotsits

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Nah its behind the fireplace, don't think you can install a flue there

You can get modern, high efficiency back-boilers - they run the flue system through the chimney and have an electric fire as the front. Only thing is you have to run a condensate drain pipe to a foul-drain or outside, which can be awkward if the thing is in the living room.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Collateral posted:

Don't most gas fires in houses without chimernies have those as standard? You can box them off, even run tv/network cables through the boxes.

You do get gas fires without a flue - they are either Very low Kw (depending on room size and ventilation) and release the products of combustion directly into the room, or have a catalytic convertor that deals with the CO.
A Back-Boiler (and fire) will have a flue - usually a lined chimney, so what they do is run new plastic flue pipes through that.

If you mean the condense drain, that's just a plastic pipe that runs downhill to the drain. You'd not want to run anything through one in use, as the liquid is acidic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
Yeah, hitting thermostatic valves is a good way of unsticking them, but "method 2" in that video is a good way to pull the pin out completely and have a stream of dirty water hitting the ceiling if you don't know what you're doing.

Towel rails are a good place that air gets trapped in a system, if the rad is hot at the bottom then bleeding will fill it back up with water and it'll get hot properly.

Might also need rebalancing - if there's been a change (like sludge has built up a bit), you might need to unwind the *other* valve a little (like a quarter turn), but this can stop other rads working if your not carefull.