Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fluo posted:

Space raiders were terrible

He meant Transform-a-snacks.

Also Space Raiders are great because they just annihilate your tastebuds. One packet isn't enough but two is the death of your tongue for a good hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Jose posted:

birmingham new street is the worst train station in the country based on having my train get cancelled there one christmas coming back from uni

It's been what, 5+ years being constructed? There's still sections of it boarded up inside and it still looks like a holding cell for human beings in some weird cheap sci-fi film.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Superterranean posted:

I just moved from nowhere, BC, Canada to York

Please use this precious time to inform me of all the reasons I have made an incredibly good decision or at least tell me what the best pub is in town

I am a fan of House of Trembling Madness though it gets busy as fuckkkk.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Shirley Crabtree posted:

yeah the problem there is you have to always queue to get in and its tiny as gently caress so you can be queueing for a loooong time

i dont like the idea of queuing just for what is essentially a pub thats not really any better than all the others around it but its one of those places where people think it must be good because look at that queue

e: the habit is good too and the duchess sometimes has some decent live bands a lot of the time these are throwbacks from the 90's + 00's i saw toploader there for a fiver for instance. the stone roses is the bar with the most character in york just dont go there on a student night.

There's a newish joint called Nevermore or something, used to be where Fibbers was years ago. Super dark inside and is more club than pub but the cocktails are so good and they serve fresh pizza... A winner in my book.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Shirley Crabtree posted:

thanks for the hot tip i shall check that out

I've just checked, it's called Nevermind. Apparently the only place in York with on off-license after midnight so until 4am so you can call in, pick up some booze and grab some food at the same time...

http://www.nevermindyork.com/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Party Boat posted:

is post-grime a thing yet

Not that I'm aware of, but future grime is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlQ8WMqcov0

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

freelop posted:

Is that including getting a black box?
I didn't want one but it reduced the insurance on my 107 from 1.8K to 1.4K straight away and it has halved every year since then.

Yeah it's halved each year because they've already hosed you. Holy poo poo.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

freelop posted:

2007 Peugeot 107

You realise that everyone who drives these is a bad driver, right? It now makes sense why you're getting shafted on insurance.

At least once a day I come across a 107 driver driving like a oval office.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Phoon posted:

audi drivers are the worst drivers

Audi drivers for some reason think they're better than everyone else. They've definitely taken the wanker driver title from BMW owners though.

freelop posted:

Cov drivers are pretty terrible all round which is why I use a dashcam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69flEwKTCHI For example.

Do you run a helmet cam when cycling?
I'd be curious to see how frightening it is.

I've been tempted to get a cam but I honestly can't be hosed editing that much footage.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Aug 5, 2015

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Currently I drive a VW Golf, but it's not a GTi at least.

You should buy 20" rims and get air bag suspension so you can join the VAG crew and be cool. Excessive wheel camber is optional.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm sat next to a tree with a ratty looking magpie in it cleaning itself. It looks like it's been bullied the way it has baldy spots on it.

I'm also watching a heron sat by a pond trying to get some eats. It keeps looking like it spots something and is getting ready to dive after it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fraction posted:

official countdown of worst places to live in UK. how the gently caress did Burnley not make the list?

...Burnley didn't make the list because London it seems, outside of Luton, truly is a loving awful place to live. 9/10 is a pretty solid score.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Megadyptes posted:

Are scampi fries acceptable because I loving love those

Anyone that says no is a loving dickhead.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

im doing a brighton mtb event on the 22nd (only 28 miles because i suck)

what im saying is running/jogging is for suckers. biking is where it's at.

Considering in the running world a thing called 'runner's shits' exists, is not particularly uncommon, and seen as a badge of honour to some I'm in full agreement. Runners are deviants.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

One of many many many many stories about people pooping their pants whilst running... http://www.xojane.com/it-happened-to-me/runners-diarrhea

quote:

As I caught my breath and had that finisher’s medal placed around my neck, it really hit me what I just accomplished.

I just finished a marathon, and pooping my pants didn't stop me.

If you see someone running, if they've not pooped their pants already, they're probably going to.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Phoon posted:

maybe its just me but i would choose not to poo poo myself for no reason

I don't think you understand.

Running!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dysgenesis posted:

Tizer > Irn Bru

Bruv. Nah.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

This is the one. It's like cocaine in a can.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

corn in the fridge posted:

you are a boring gimmick

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Yeah mine said it had to sign into google to do certain challenges which I thought was weird.

Alphabear all up in your profiles, stealin' your deets to sell to China.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nigel Farage posted:

Greggs.

How poor are you?

Nice bantz Nige. Nice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Says the person with the something awful gimmick account

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bozza posted:

I have watched Akira (alright), Evangelion and Ghost in the Shell (utter dogshit) and most films by Miyazaki (broadly very good)

I don't get anime.

I used to watch it when I was a young, socially unaware nerd.

Last year everyone (weeaboos) was wittering on about Attack on Titan being the best thing everrrrrrrrrrrrr so, having not watched anime outside of Ghibli stuff in 10/15 years I decided to give it a go. There are 25 episodes, each about 24/25 minutes long so I spent a solid 13~ hours of my life watching this. During those 13+ hours there's about 20 minutes of action. The rest was typical of anime series in that gently caress all of interest happens except your stereotypical characters mope around, cry and lash out and it was poo poo.

The premise is great, giants who eat people break into walled cities and start chowing down? How can you make that bad?

Pish.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

they made an anime about you?

Yeah I was the huge naked giant that kicked the poo poo out of a city and then disappeared, never to be seen again.

NaDy posted:

i quite like attack on titan and i dont usually watch anime so maybe i just didnt spot all the tropes. it definitely suffers from the fact that they did a game of thrones and started the series before the manga was finished so now theres like a 3 year gap between seasons.

Like I said it'd been a looooooong time since I'd watched any and I still found it painful to watch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Dysgenesis posted:

In the sea.

Yeah but that robot picked up that boat and smashed the kaiju in the face with it in the city...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

Life without religion is a life that doesnt work

Have you been practising that line for the reverend?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Bape Culture posted:

Has summer finished

Seems so.

...and next year when we don't get sunshine there'll be people saying "Last summer was nice!" because they clearly only remember the week of sunshine we had in May.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlDh5zToSI4

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I've never been to Leeds is it nice

Leeds is great.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

This is fundamentally wrong. Leeds is a shithouse. As is Liverpool. Never had a good night out in either

I believe this is down to you not knowing where to go, having poo poo people to go with orrrrrrrrrr just being a misery. I'm sorry.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ive not had good times when Ive gone there in the day either tbf

That's down to you then, not the location. How come you can't enjoy yourself in a massive city with loads to do? Who did you go with? Where did you go? What did you do?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ive enjoyed myself in lots of large cities. Just never Liverpool and Leeds.

That's not answering the question though is it? I can straight up understand not enjoying yourself if you sat in a Wetherspoons on your tod for half the day and then took a bus to Seacroft and back or something.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

In the day or in the night?

In the day Ive been to Leeds town centre loads with friends or on my own, as I lived in Huddersfield. Never liked it. The only good thing was I once had a nice coffee and cake in the corn exchange. Nights out Ive been to a variety of places that I cant remember

In Liverpool Ive been a couple of times in the day, the first time was on my own, I had got tickets to a comedy show in the evening so I thought I'd go early, have a look round the town centre and do some shopping and maybe then some sightseeing. The comedy gig was at 7 and I got the train to Liverpool at lunch time. Took me 2 hours to be bored shitless, and I ended up getting a train back to manchester, then going back to my flat, chilling out for an hour before going back to the station to get a train back to liverpool so I didnt have to hang round in Liverpool anymore. Its a horrible city. The second time I went I went shopping and sight seeing with the other half and that was shite too. I dont care about the Beetles so all of that stuff was of no interest to me

Taff, professional goon.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

Ive just gone on trip advisers page for liverpool and 6 of the top 10 things are Beatles related.

So then I googled "things to do in liverpool" and its top 6 things in its banner add are Chester zoo (not in liverpool), Beatles week (lol), the Waterfront, a Conservatory in a Park, an art shop, and driving a Land Rover round Halewood.

Sounds exhilarating

I'm sure that's the extent of things to do there.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

Your inability to reccomend places or things to do speaks volumes

It does because I've never been to Liverpool.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

So then how can you possibly refute my comments that its poo poo.

I can recommend places to go in Birmingham or Manchester or various other cities if you'd like.

I just find it funny that in a large modern city you can't entertain yourself for a few hours to the point where you'd go back to the train station, go home, sit around your house for an hour and then go back on the train again.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Gaz2k21 posted:

I'm going there in Nevember I'll pass judgement on it then.

Then again I actually enjoyed myself in Leeds so i'm obviously easy to please.

...or you might just not be weird.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress bike is broken so i cant do the enduro thing in brighton this weekend

*kills self*

Enduro is another word invented by the bike industry to mean 'riding your bike' isn't it?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Phoon posted:

im watching a documentary on bbc four and it keeps cutting to a woman explaining things but the camera is right next to her face and she is looking off to a point behind and to the left of it and its really unnerving

This is fairly standard TV procedure. Lady will have someone sitting opposite her asking questions and the camera will be over the other person's shoulder. Lady is just holding an eyeline with the interviewer rather than the camera.

If she was alone in a studio she'd be looking down the camera but she probably needs prompting which leads to this kinda thing.

Source: I film interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Phoon posted:

Yeah but the camera was positioned really close to her cold dead eyes

Zoom is a thing that exists on cameras these days.