Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Gasmask posted:

building goons: teach me your magic for doing silicon and not making a huge loving mess

CancerCakes posted:

Don't ask me, I am loving useless at it, which is why I still haven't siliconed the kitchen worktop a full year after it went on.

I know people who can put down just the right size bead, then run a wet fingertip down it, and get a perfect result. That is not me.

Get one of these (one like the tool at the top of the photo is what I have) or use something similar:

Run masking tape both sides with 1/4" clearance from the intended bead if you (like me) invariably apply too much. Run the tool across in one smooth non-stop pass. Remove and redo or apply more pressure for a thinner bead until satisfied or too despondent to care anymore.

Don't fiddle with it, and pull the masking immediately.

If you need to intersect with other caulk I recommend letting one line cure first. You can spritz 100% silicone with water to speed this up, if you quickly become bored of the tool with the flared base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU