Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Things I miss most about the UK now that I no longer live there:
Unpolluted green space
Spoonies
Greggs

Judge my class as you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34615621
"It has now placed processed meat in the same category as plutonium, but also alcohol as they definitely do cause cancer."

Before some in-line editor jumped on this, the list also included salted fish, arsenic and diesel exhaust. Still, I'd better get rid of the plutonium from my diet.

Also beer and plutonium: just as dangerous at causing cancer

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

lol if you think organic means it has no chemicals*

in fact it has more. GM has fewer because they can gene in the resilience and rely less on chemical fertilisers and pesticides

*yes I can be pedantic about "chemical" as a term too, but why go for the low hanging fruit when there's so much more juicy stuff?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The version of the article that listed diesel exhaust listed sausages and bacon and salami

It said minced beef without shelf-life-enhancing additives was not processed

It also said that you could somehow circumvent the whole article by "buying red meat from a quality local butcher" (paraphrased)

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The Big Taff Man posted:

My car refused to start last night and I had to get a jump and then took it to Halfords who did a battery check which says its fine.

FFS this car does my head in

Holding charge is not the same as having charge. Mayve the battery is at fault, maybe it's shorting somewhere. If it happens again, investigate further

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I am not currently in the uk but there is a uk number written on the wall. should i phone it?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I will say 'good morning neil'

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

The mystery deepens... am getting a european dialing tone and no answer

Will try again later

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

crispix posted:

what kind of place is that anyway? some kind of hippy dungeon

P much yea

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

english dialtone this time.

and an answer

but for someone who wrote his number on the wall of a bar he wasn't very friendly

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

0-RAT JACUL8N
07285 228586

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

you're lost, those are dewey decimal codes, and you have absolutely ruined some librarian's tomorrow

Brilliant

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

At least your gloves will fit properly now

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Wurzag posted:

It's only crazy expensive if you're commuting in and out of london

NopeNope

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

the medieval bit was the one that was easiest to do props for

let's do a crystal maze goonmeet because it's coming back as a "live immersive experience" in a couple months

http://the-crystal-maze.com/

There was already a Crystal Maze in Warwickshire (Cov/Bham) next to a bowling place

Thats as live immersive as you get

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

What the gently caress is a five guys?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Squalitude posted:

I know sharing facebook posts is rather passé, but I found this very amusing:

"Almost back in the civilization… Ugly and rude east midland makes London seems to be a fantastic destination!!! No wonder no significant Business there. East midland - what a waste of space!"

Kablammo!

To be fair east midlands is shite

West Midlands represent yo!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Stay in bed hungover, have a comparable experience

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Bozza posted:

Gone to Spoons for a roast as it's 2 mins from my flat. Become one of those old fuckers in there on my own. I'm 29.

Roast was average.

Spoons is average

I don't get the hate for spoonies in here (well, I mean, I do) but I also don't agree that it is EMEZIN LADS

It is good for a cheap pint and the burgers are better value than Maccy D's. It is not a place to take someone on a first date if you're hoping for a second.

Not everything is simply either awful or awexome

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Usually sodium hydroxide

Some (very rarely) use sulphuric acid

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

and my axe

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Bozza posted:

I've perked up now when I asked my boss for OT to get all the enormous piles of work done over the weekend and he said no bother, also your day rate is £180 a shift

:getin:

How long is a shift?

Also now you know where your train fares are going

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

excuse me but the term is ambiwanxtrous

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I sympathise
I'm on gardening leave next month, lol if you think I'm putting clothes on during Advent

Also I've been watching Have I Got News For You from the 90s and it's bizarre. I mean I knew there was a reason I still watched it these days despite itself. It's that it used to be funny back when I was a younger bloke

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Oh hey look an NHS thing

http://imgur.com/gallery/5b7esWA

Could be bollocks, I don't know, I haven't looked into it
But we like the NHS in here, don't we? So give it a look, maybe it's real

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

yeah its going cold this week here too

supposed to get down to lows of 16 on thursday

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Bozza posted:

Cos the third rail freezes over and the collection shoe can't take power all the time.

In the old days when you managed the motors using rheostats it wasn't an issue because it doesn't give a gently caress about a variable input voltage but modern switched power electronics throw a poo poo fit when they don't get a clean connection so they computer craps out and the train fails.

Trainchat itt

Back in the 80s we could handle a third line of white powdery snow and still get to work on time
Now it's all collections and shoes like the Salvation Army's winter charity handouts for the homeless

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

learnincurve posted:

I like pints of pulled-off bitter hand shandy. Stuff from the flap things makes it too gassy.

[oral sex joke]

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm waiting for a night bus

Who here remembers night busses? Before students got rich and started taking taxis to get home late at night?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

what sort of loving night bus starts at 6pm

evening bus? dinnertime bus?

I'll give you a clue: I'm in shirt sleeves with my collar and second button undone while I wait

It is 25°C

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Jose posted:

nil by mouth is a bit poo poo imo. in 45 minutes i can't have anything other than tap water

Nil by mouth? But where will the cottagers on the heath get their kicks now that you're out of action?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

learnincurve posted:

For the record I have a working border collie and a greyhound/saluki x crufts winning whippet. No he wasn't very happy to find his £10,000 show dog knocked up by his son's lamping dog because he left it in the yard with her and hosed off to the pub.

Well you're rural, aren't you?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

lenoon posted:

I went to work because contrary to what i believed, this phd will actually not write itself. I'm eating a true student lunch; yesterday's boiled white rice with some soy sauce. Cost of this week's lunches: 80p

Whats your phd on?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Bozza posted:

You've not fully lived until you've puked and poo poo at the same time. Once is enough though.

Hope you feel better and I don't catch it!!!

Bozza outing himself, despite his ultra-British name, as a forrin

poo poo/shat/shat
Only yanks say poo poo/poo poo/poo poo

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Hmm don't tell me shat is the new bap

Where are you both from?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Look it's not the pies that make it terrible. It's the filling. We should have strict control on pie fillings. The pastry isn't the problem.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Caused by the filling making the pastry soggy

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

Hey UK thread what's your stance on acting a utter twat while smashed??

Saturday a friend convinced me to come to a rave with him and a few others after I finished work. (A ten hour shift that started at 6AM)
I drank a half of Smirnoff at his then had some "stimulants" and then a few beers before we left.

I can only actually remember about 15 minutes of the rave, then I woke up in the "chill-out zone" outside I then somehow started arguing with the bouncer even through they seemed like they were just about to let me back in.
(Apparently what had happened was I was riding on a girls back then she fell and I fell and smashed my head, I then got up and sat outside and they were worries because I looked like my eyes were rolling back etc. I then told them to gently caress off and went to sleep for 40 minutes.)
I started a daft argument with them, then started ranting at them while I waited for a friend to pick me up, kept demanding they showed me their SIA, one grabbed my arms which I pull away from him then shoved him, the guy running the thing came out and I called him a fat bellend, I then realised I hadn't even called my friend to pick me up, then I threw my phone at them and then went and got it back, luckily at this point one of they guys we were with had come out for some air and seen me and calmed me down then my friend turned up in his car.

I feel loving terrible. I mean from memory the bouncers were low-rate and arsehole like but I was a giant ranting embarrassing fuckwit.
I've not acted a twat while drunk for years and even days later I feel just the worst.
I've resolved to both not drink heavy while tired/moody ever again and to never touch "those sort of things" ever again.

I'm just so embarrassed I'm not a chavvy 19 yr old so acting like a flammin' dickhead for a hour is just unreal.

So basically killself Y/N..?

I've had a couple of nights like that in my time. People should understand that if you are clear that:
you do not usually act that way
did not want to act that way
are sorry for ruining a night out/whatever other poo poo you might have given people
only acted that way because of cocktails of chemicals (perhaps mixed with lack of sleep and/or empty stomach)
and (important) will take steps to try to make sure it doesn't happen again
...then anyone who's really a friend will forgive you.

Of course if you get mashed and lary every week then idk man get some help or something

simplefish fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 2, 2015

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

harry bellendfonte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Middle class dinner party (sans pampas grass and wife swapping) now known as a Roody Toody Booze and Foody