Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Party Boat posted:

Also how does a "pug-type" dog pull anyone larger than an infant child into the road wtf

essex m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

buteruc posted:

Happy new year, U.K. Thread!

Has anyone ever stopped in Reykjavik en route back from North America? Got a cheap flight back that's given me 10 hours in Iceland.

Also I'll be spending 3 days a week up in Manchester soon, if anyone wants to get a drink and/or fight.

Not been there as a stop over but check out the blue lagoon half an hour from the airport, or thingvellir if you have time/aren't planning on a nap

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

kecske posted:

summer fades to autumn, the leaves on the trees wither and fall, the mornings become crisp and the afternoons darken. in his crypt deep within the earth, Michael Buble begins to stir. Soon it will be time to rise once more.

Works like a charm for both Christmas and Halloween :stonklol:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Spoiler that poo poo :nms:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nottingham :shobon:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I only just realised there is a media uproar about this. Sure there's a plague and the government is owned by Russian money launderers but I for one am furious about a mildly tasteless job advert

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I broadly agree but there's a level of triviality where it feels like stoking the outrage machine so that we bicker about something unimportant.

Such gems as:
Not singing Rule Brittania
JK Rowling said a mean thing!!! Again!!!
Whatever that bullshit was with the rice packets

Thank you journalists, defenders of democracy

This is what I get for reading the BBC headlines

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They also cause havoc in the ocean, ~~biodegrading~~ down into smaller and smaller pieces over many years while fish swallow them etc :smith:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

The Tories have morphed into this half-Maoist sect. They're all good with the tearing down of existing institutions half of Maoism but not the other half that involves building up new stuff in their place. It's all very odd. This thread isn't really the place to discuss it but there's something profoundly malfunctioning in our society and I don't quite know what it is.

They're way on brand them because neither was actual Maoism!

I'm pretty sure Cummings, Bannon and friends are just mainlining the Littlefinger chaos speech at this point.

Presumably the malfunctioning part is that all the conniving, competent talent flees the country to shadowy international asset management and only dregs remain in politics.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It's an EM sealed top secret messenger bag and you're in big trouble, buddy

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Valko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IiK0I-8BfM

I don't think I'm preaching to the choir but gently caress the UK. I'm in N. Ireland which makes me part of the UK too. I get that youtube comments is full of trolls but I believe some of these comments are genuine. gently caress the UK.

Why deal with the horror of bad things when you can invent reasons that the bad things are actually okay?

Why engage with reality at all when our magic first world invincibility will surely last forever?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah and furthermore SUVs are gross and triply so in freakin London.

A car should be shaped like a car, not an electric shaver with maximised small dick """road presence""" so you can loom over everyone.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it is now No-Nut November. anyone found orgasming during lockdown month will be banned immediately.

Well it definitely is now :mad:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

oh but seriously I posted:

potatoes contain infinite possibilities

You say potatoes, I say galaxy eggs

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Death always to bike thieves tho

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Frazzbo posted:

WTF is going on in Devon? https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/nov/11/totnes-covid-concerns-reflect-uk-wide-rise-in-conspiracy-theories Is there something in the water, or what? Just another reason to avoid the whole place :rolleyes:

Brexity cottage dwellers, presumably

Can't wait until their precious retirement villages are obliterated to put down a customs queue for lorries

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But what is it actually for? Because if it's just 'oh you can now stream HD films on the train then I don't really care.

I feel like the government is just terrified it will be accused of being behind the times, like with the woeful fibre optic rollout, if it doesn't immediately throw billions at 5G infrastructure direct from Chinese intelligence.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

His GRU handler is recalling him for tea and medals.

Mission accomplished!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pretty clear we're going to take the, uh, necessary steps, that is to follow the science, no spreading the virus, no breaking the rules and no defeating the virus, in a very good position now to give the, uh, knock out punch with the vaccine we have a very formidable one two blow, uh, let our hair down in the Christmas period while following the rules and staying vigilant, thank you

*hunches Churchillianly*

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Woke Pob posted:

This used to happen to me back when I worked in the office. I'd go out for a smoke break and stand round the corner of our building to stay out of the wind, usually dressed in jeans and a lovely hoodie. Randoms would walk past and ask what I was selling.

Ask them to speak louder and into your lapel, should do the trick

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The rich mars colony dying like morons because no one thinks they should have to change their own air filter will be primo entertainment, as I eat synth noodles in the new Piccadilly Circus floating market.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

I feel like I've mentioned this heaps, but Greggs is criminally poo poo.

Maybe its just that no one really buys the meat-free options, so they just sit there sweating and cooling, but I've never had a hot Greggs, or one that wasn't weirdly slimey. Even if its only a quid, that's too much.

Also, support your independent bakeries!

Mine is £4 sourdough or go home tho

But it's soooo goooood

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

el dingo posted:

Yeh I like roasting a gammon cos you dont need to sear it first, no seasoning needed, no carcass to deal with afterwards. Just chuck it in the oven till its done

...and the cut of pork is pretty tasty too!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The country needs to be united under mushy peas right now.

I am a mushy pea sleeper waiting in the south to be activated

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

From the way my firm has basically cancelled all travel since March I assume the only people still flying are ~Investoures~

And you know we can't make them quarantine or they might sell their 3 week a year Mayfair flat and go live in Singapore :ohdear:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

The British and American public - I don't see a problem voting in these ridiculous clowns. What's the worst that could happen????

The worst thing is I think us brits would vote bojo again

Problem is the party system IMO. I have no say in what useless MP gets put up for election and nodded through. All the power is with men in anoraks and women in silly hats, all probably retired, who were insane enough to join a political party.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Stack artist

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Boris negotiated it away.

If the euros think they can take our BRITISH FISH then we'll just turn off all the water

Now who's smug, frenchies :britain:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Culture ship names are the obvious choice!

Posted from (d)ROU Pleasant Onward Journey

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bill Gates microchip relay?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hamburlgar posted:

Stay home, protect the NHS, save lives.

Strong and stable, strong and stable :hmmyes:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But it's a woman and one of ARE BRAVE GALS in the airforce :patriot:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

turn on you're monitor m8

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

hemale in pain posted:

that's dumb as hell. why wouldn't you just cash out and get free money?

e: i have to admit i really don't understand crytocurrency. no one seems to buy it with the intention of buying things with it but just to make money??? i dont get how it works or how it has value :shrug:

It's only actually good for money laundering, which it is used for on an international scale.

But now there is all the hype about it, investors are all piling in because the number is going up and they feel like they can't afford not to buy :stonks:

E: Huh we have a stonks emote

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

Sorry, this isn't true: it's also good for buying weed online.

I've looked into how these cryptocurrencies work and the whole thing's spectacularly shady and corrupt. Yes, you CAN make a killing from them, in the same way that you CAN double your life savings by gambling them all on a single spin of a roulette wheel: it's still not a sensible thing to do with money that you can't afford to lose.

Thanks to the bizarre new definition of money laundering, buying weed online is now 'potential' money laundering because you are doing something illegal with money :cop:

(which I suspect was done to allow the new NCA to get involved in any investigation it wants??)

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Bardeh posted:

Waiting on the results of a tenancy credit and reference check - we got incredibly lucky to get first dibs on a perfect place, but I'm a full-time student and my wife's temporary contract at work just ended. We've got plenty of money in savings (plus my student loan and NHS bursary) so it should be fine, but I know being a student isn't ideal for this. If we don't get it we're in trouble, because the lease at our current place runs out soon and 2 bed places in our budget in this area are like gold dust. gently caress I hate this poo poo every time we need to find a new place to rent, but buying is completely unrealistic for us for a few more years at least. :sigh:

If you have the money and it comes to it, they might be willing to take some of the rent up front instead. I did this and, after spending ages getting them the right HR contact, they said they didn't even need to check my employer.

(And I'm way over what clueless agents consider the 'appropriate' income:rent ratio')

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 14, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Huh I have only ever used letting agents?? What is wrong with them (if they aren't Foxtons)

All the rental horror stories I hear are where the landlord is some rear end in a top hat amateur who lives round the corner and doesn't know or care what deposit scheme, quiet enjoyment, legal contract etc even mean.

Whereas an agent doesn't have your best interests at heart but at least you're dealing with someone going through company procedure who just wants to leave work on time.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

*sobs londonishly*

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Definitely in a desert, at night in a (heavy cloth) tent. In full clothes, jacket, sleeping bag liner and a thick wool blanket I was shivering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cyril Sneeer posted:

polished skull wala.

me crush rear end to dust