Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Mob posted:

you dumb idiots, you signed an NDA and I've been Mil Muertes this whole time

get out of here mil muertes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mob posted:

you dumb idiots, you signed an NDA and I've been Mil Muertes this whole time

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm Matanza

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

why would you admit to everyone you poo poo in a bucket

grody

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Season 3's happening per Dr Lucha and the Observer. Probably getting filmed soon after season 2 like they were talking about considering doing. LU until at least mid-2017, worst-case :woop:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Chris James 2 posted:

Season 3's happening per Dr Lucha and the Observer. Probably getting filmed soon after season 2 like they were talking about considering doing. LU until at least mid-2017, worst-case :woop:

Life was bad but now it's good! Forever!

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Prince Puma/Ricochet is a free agent after Season 3.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

rovert posted:

Prince Puma/Ricochet is a free agent after Season 3.

Pretty sure Dave said he has a seven season contract.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the 7 year thing made the rounds even before the first season started filming and some people are locked in for seven years but cubsfan has been very adamant for a long time that not everybody signed the same contract and Puma is one of them. Since he probably won't re-sign it would make sense for him to not be the masked hero of the company and they should probably push another tecnico in his stead

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

oatgan posted:

the 7 year thing made the rounds even before the first season started filming and some people are locked in for seven years but cubsfan has been very adamant for a long time that not everybody signed the same contract and Puma is one of them

Can't imagine they would build the promotion around him and only lock him up for three seasons while locking up other talent for seven.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

Call Me Charlie posted:

Can't imagine they would build the promotion around him and only lock him up for three seasons while locking up other talent for seven.

http://prowrestlingsheet.com/prince-puma-makes-request-to-lucha-underground-let-me-speak/

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Who gives a poo poo Prince Puma is boring 90% of the time anyway.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I already feel like Fenix and Drago are bigger faces than Puma, so I'm pretty OK with that. Ricochet is really great but he's not integral to the product.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Go RV! posted:

I already feel like Fenix and Drago are bigger faces than Puma, so I'm pretty OK with that. Ricochet is really great but he's not integral to the product.

And even if they weren't, 2 seasons to be taped leaves them plenty of time to really build one of them up as the new face, or rather mask, of the show. Or heck, turn Pentagon face, he was already getting pretty face-heavy reactions at Ultima Lucha and certainly was popular at PWG.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Germansimp posted:

And even if they weren't, 2 seasons to be taped leaves them plenty of time to really build one of them up as the new face, or rather mask, of the show. Or heck, turn Pentagon face, he was already getting pretty face-heavy reactions at Ultima Lucha and certainly was popular at PWG.

I feel like Pentagon should stay heel only because I think LU can handle a heel who gets cheered. Though an anti-hero run the ends in him breaking Mil's arm would be really great.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Aww man, you guys don't like the Puma man? I don't think he had a bad match the whole first season. He was such a badass the way he beat the disciples of death that I actually rooted for him over Mil Muertes at Ultima Lucha.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Puma as a wrestler is fine, excellent, in fact. Puma as a character, eh. He's not bad or anything, but "really, really good wrestler with flips" is basically all there is to his character.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Revenant Threshold posted:

Puma as a wrestler is fine, excellent, in fact. Puma as a character, eh. He's not bad or anything, but "really, really good wrestler with flips" is basically all there is to his character.

Yeah, this. Ricochet can go in the ring regardless of whether he is himself or Puma, but without Konnan as his mouthpiece in LU, it felt like he was missing something, because his promo skills are not that good compared to his in-ring skills.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ricochet just has an aura of pure confidence and skill and tons of physical charisma and prince puma has none of that. He looks like a doofus in the mask. Still incredibly talented though

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Revenant Threshold posted:

What? He's the hometown hero. Poor kid from Boyle Heights whose life would've been rudderless without being initiated by mysterious Lucha men.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Animal-Mother posted:

What? He's the hometown hero. Poor kid from Boyle Heights whose life would've been rudderless without being initiated by mysterious Lucha men.
That's the booking, though. They could've stuck anyone under that mask and with that backstory. Well, not anyone, but you get the idea. And in order to get him heat beyond people wanting to watch a great wrestleman, it's everyone around him that's doing that for the guy. That isn't a bad thing, it's good booking, especially since LU is in a weird place with its style so it would have been difficult to say what kinds of characters would get over, but now they have a better handle on that.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
It probably speaks to the Hollywood background of the top brass that they thought they could just fill the role of masked, silent babyface with a guy who has no experience playing that role.

I know there was talk about Flamita coming in and he would make a lot more sense as the top babyface. I imagine that hasn't happened though since while I'm trying to avoid spoilers I'm sure I would've heard about it anyway.

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

Puma played the silent guy with a veteran mouthpiece perfectly. I agree that they probably shouldn't do it much longer but he was awesome in season 1.

Fenix is the man to dethrone Mil Muertes though.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Unless WWE picks him up, I wouldn't be surprised if Puma goes for a contract renewal, even if he's got enough pull to just make it a year by year thing. It's not like it's stopping him from working the other 900 indies he does, and by all accounts it's a good paycheck.

Gotta get that #lizmoney

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 28, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
I don't think there's any doubt WWE would want him even if just to headline in NXT, the question is if they want him badly enough to pay better than those supposedly pretty drat lucrative LU contracts. Given the lengths WWE has shown they're prepared to go to to gently caress over ROH, I wouldn't be surprised if they make him a nice offer just to keep him away from the other non-TNA promotion with TV.

Burt Buckle posted:

Puma played the silent guy with a veteran mouthpiece perfectly.

I thought he was dry and clearly uncomfortable in the role. He did have some very good matches though.

The whole thing with him being mute is obviously to not give away that he isn't Mexican, which makes you wonder why they didn't just put a drat Mexican in the role since they were always going to live or die by their ability to get picked up by Spanish language TV. It kinda smacks of classic Hollywood racism to make the central character in your lucha libre themed TV show a guy called Trevor from Kentucky.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 28, 2015

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, for a show very steeped in Latino culture, and that actually does a GOOD job of representing it most of the time, having a dude from Kentucky as the main-eventer técnico for the company is...weird. I'd like to think it's just them snatching the hottest young prospect from the indie scene because they knew the starting audience for the company would be American smarks anyway.

I kept waiting for Konnan to turn and Puma to unmask and people to make an angle out of him being a "fake" luchador, to be honest.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Spermgod posted:

I thought he was dry and clearly uncomfortable in the role. He did have some very good matches though.

The whole thing with him being mute is obviously to not give away that he isn't Mexican, which makes you wonder why they didn't just put a drat Mexican in the role since they were always going to live or die by their ability to get picked up by Spanish language TV. It kinda smacks of classic Hollywood racism to make the central character in your lucha libre themed TV show a guy called Trevor from Kentucky.

The head writer said that they wanted the best wrestler they could find in the Prince Puma role since he was going to be the centerpiece of the promotion.

or it could be jew hollyweird racism...i dunno :shrug:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
lol gently caress off

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The producers have made no secrets about LU being treated more like a TV show about a wrestling promotion than an actual one, so contracts likely work the same way - signing a contract for 7 seasons of TV is different from signing for 7 years with a wrestling promotion. You can renegotiate to leave, or you can show up elsewhere as long as it doesn't interfere with your shooting schedule.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Just have Puma dramatically reveal he was actually a black guy from the South this whole time. Problem solved.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Guys, Dario Cueto is currently hosting an airing of Fist of Fury on El Rey. I don't have the channel, but this tweet has a couple minutes of him waxing poetic about Bruce Lee and it's my everything.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like the idea that everything on El Rey takes place in the same universe.

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

drat just a short while ago we were all worried about if there would be a season 2 and now season 3 being a thing life is indeed good :swoon:

Didn't follow s1 live as it went, caught up after. can't wait to follow along in the thread even though I won't be able to watch live

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Guys, Dario Cueto is currently hosting an airing of Fist of Fury on El Rey. I don't have the channel, but this tweet has a couple minutes of him waxing poetic about Bruce Lee and it's my everything.

Well that settles it, I'm writin' the prime minister and demanding Canada get El Rey

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Well that settles it, I'm writin' the prime minister and demanding Canada get El Rey

Even setting Lucha Underground aside, El Rey is pretty great and it's a shame like no one gets it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
You can get Sling in Canada, can't you? That includes El Rey. A bunch of other good TV too.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

Gavok posted:

"Dario Cueto as Vampirella" works a lot better than I thought.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Spermgod posted:

I don't think there's any doubt WWE would want him even if just to headline in NXT,

Then I guess they shouldn't have treated him like a geek off the streets at the Performance Center

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This would probably work your new PM seems like a chill rear end dude

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

You can get Sling in Canada, can't you? That includes El Rey. A bunch of other good TV too.

Unfortunately, no. I've tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mob posted:

Then I guess they shouldn't have treated him like a geek off the streets at the Performance Center

It is a good thing anyways. He would of been great in NXT but if when got the call up he would of died in the midcard hell all flippy poo poo guys go to. Things worked out better for him this way.

• Locked thread