Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Mob posted:

Then I guess they shouldn't have treated him like a geek off the streets at the Performance Center

I thought it was less them treating him like a geek and more that they only wanted one small skinny flippy guy at the time and they just went with PAC over him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

Mob posted:

Then I guess they shouldn't have treated him like a geek off the streets at the Performance Center

Eh if they'd signed him back then he would've ended up on the main roster soon enough anyway since the purpose of NXT was still actually to be developmental back then. I'm sure they only see him as having value to headline in NXT.

Devil Bird Thing
Mar 12, 2001

Pardon me, do you have a moment to speak about our Lord & Savior, Devil Bird Thing?
gently caress THAT

Listen, I used to get annoyed when someone would come into a WWE thread and do the whole "Try watching LU" thing. Then this past week, I got caught up on all of the shows I regularly watch and decided to try LU from the first episode of Season 1.

Last night I got through the first match between Alberto El Patron and Tejano. Somewhere during the match I realized I was actually pissed the WWE re-sign ADR because that means he won't be on Season Two.

The ONLY person it is acceptable for WWE to poach from the LU roster at this point is Matt Striker. Despite years of practice on the mic, he still sounds green as gently caress and a lot of the "bro" comments that pass between him and Vampiro make my eyes roll.

Aside from a few rough places (mostly the bad commentary and occasionally bad stalling spots that expose things - Mundo vs Son of Havok comes to mind), I am digging the gently caress out of LU because it is something different and WWE can gently caress right off when it comes to hiring anyone from the roster unless they hire on the writers as well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

To be fair, it was unlikely Del Rio would have been on Season 2 even if he hadn't gone back to WWE

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That Latino Braveheart speech he cut in LU was worth having him there, but it's completely impotent given that he ended right back with WWE doing nothing haha

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

He woulda been great to keep around if his ego isn't what it is

AKA Driver
Apr 5, 2004
To the bubblecraft! Set control to hypochondria!

Zen Dudeism posted:

Aside from a few rough places (mostly the bad commentary and occasionally bad stalling spots that expose things - Mundo vs Son of Havok comes to mind), I am digging the gently caress out of LU because it is something different and WWE can gently caress right off when it comes to hiring anyone from the roster unless they hire on the writers as well.

They DID hire those writers previously. All of them are former WWE producers, so hiring them back would only get those ideas halted again by creative bottleneck.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014

AKA Driver posted:

They DID hire those writers previously. All of them are former WWE producers, so hiring them back would only get those ideas halted again by creative bottleneck.

It is important to note that pretty much everyone in Lucha Underground, whether they are writers or performers, has previously been fired, made fun of, ruined or otherwise been disillusioned by WWE. It's basically TV people at the top, the producer is a Tough Enough guy and he hired the people he knew. Says a lot about WWE's creative processes that they had all this talent and did nothing with it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

also it says a lot about AAA's creative processes that they have all the talent and are doing nothing with it

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

oatgan posted:

also it says a lot about AAA's creative processes that they have all the talent and are doing nothing with it
Like, half their roster left for CMLL in the last few weeks and they had to cancel their December PPV. They're in full meltdown mode. If the LU guys stay and the company doesn't go under they're gonna be the top guys by default.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 30, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
ADR was undoubtedly making a sweet living off of WWE royalties, AAA, and LU, and he left WWE due to a racist dispute. After all that, he still went back to WWE for the almighty dollar. You can't really blame them for "poaching" him when he was clearly looking to be poached.

Devil Bird Thing
Mar 12, 2001

Pardon me, do you have a moment to speak about our Lord & Savior, Devil Bird Thing?

sticklefifer posted:

ADR was undoubtedly making a sweet living off of WWE royalties, AAA, and LU, and he left WWE due to a racist dispute. After all that, he still went back to WWE for the almighty dollar. You can't really blame them for "poaching" him when he was clearly looking to be poached.

Oh, no doubt. It's his own choice to go back and I don't want to get into the debate on whether he should have or not.

I guess there's just a bit of disappointment being at the point I am at in season one (just finished the King Cuerno/Mundo cage match) and knowing that Alberto won't be around past this first season. I'm trying to figure out what it is I like about LU vs WWE and I can't nail it down.

First, I guess there is the excitement of new characters and a roster of people who I am only vaguely familiar with. I know Konnan and Vampiro from the WCW days. I know Blue Demon from AAA. I know Chavo, Big Ryck, Alberto El Patron, and Mundo from their WWE runs. I'm familiar with some of the traditions of luche libre, such as blood feuds, the sanctity of the mask, and the prevalence of trios matches. I love the small promotion feel of LU, the tightness of space in the Temple that almost makes it feel like a real underground fight club.

Beyond that, there's the lack of parity booking which is great. Anybody can pull off a win, but you also have certain guys (Puma, Mundo, Mil Muertas) who come off as more badass/bigger threats than, say, Aerostar or BMX guy from South Africa. I love the fact that there are multiple storylines running, but the recap at the beginning of each episode lets you know which feuds are going to be the focus for the week.

I dunno. I guess the presence of the guys I am familiar with like ADR, Mundo/Morrison, and Big Ryck/Zeke kinda legitimize the guys I am not familiar with. It doesn't really feel like there are any jobbers outside of Pimpenella Escarlita, Masquita Sacrada, and Sexy Star, but even they manage to pick up wins and work well as semi-sideshow attractions (like Khali or Yokozuna in WWE).

The only thing really and truly bothering me is the commentary. It's godawful. Example: You have the episode where Aerostar, BMX guy, and another luchadore debut in a three way. The third guy doesn't pull off the victory and isn't seen for another episode or two, but during the match Matt Striker talks about how he is lighting the fans on fire and impressing with huge performances in LU. Blatantly promoting people on commentary without anything to back it up is distracting. Hell, tell me he had matches against some of the greats in AAA so I can believe that he belongs in LU and isn't just some scrub off the street, but don't insult my intelligence by saying he is lighting the promotion on fire when he's only wrestled a single match and lost. That and the whole bro/dude/brother thing between Striker and Vampiro is really distracting for me I guess.

I especially dig how the segments outside of the ring play out. I don't know why, but they are so much more appealing than backstage segments in WWE where someone busts into a HHH/Stephanie conversation to demand a match, but I couldn't tell you why it works better for me since it is virtually the same thing.

EDIT: Yeah, Angelico. It's 4:30 in the morning here, and I couldn't think of his name.

Devil Bird Thing fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Nov 30, 2015

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

his name is Angelico so don't get pissed when WWE poaches him since his name is easy as balls to remember and you think he's a bicycle guy when he's obviously a dirt bike guy

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

but yes (1)the backstage segments and (2)the "Anyone can win at any time so pay attention" are my favorite parts of it and keep my eyes glued to the TV

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zen Dudeism posted:

I guess there's just a bit of disappointment being at the point I am at in season one (just finished the King Cuerno/Mundo cage match) and knowing that Alberto won't be around past this first season.

He's really not a huge part of the season in general, and disappears for a portion of it. I think you haven't yet gotten to one of the best parts of the season IMO, which is when Pentagon Jr. just cuts loose on everyone. He was always pretty badass but in the latter half/third or so he grows into one of my favorite must-watch characters.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

flashy_mcflash posted:

That Latino Braveheart speech he cut in LU was worth having him there, but it's completely impotent given that he ended right back with WWE doing nothing haha

Del Rio's last year or so makes me think of that Simpsons episode about Krusty and the Canyonero, only it has a better ending because instead of simply going back to the status quo with a smile, we get to see Del Rio's dead-eyed response to being brought back into the WWE creative game.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
Well, it's not like Vince and Trips ambushed him in an alley, pulled a burlap sack over his head and when he woke up, he was suddenly at a WWE pay-per-view. It's his decision and I think that Lucha Underground has done a good job of establishing other characters and Season 2 can work without him.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
December taping dates are confirmed to be the 12th and 13th. They've opened up pre-reservations to at least some returning guests "for a limited time this morning," which means I expect the general ticket announcement should happen sometime today. So if you want one of the December tapings, be watching @LuchaElRey like a hawk.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
General December ticketing now open:

:getin:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
If I had been working my usual night shift today I would have been able to get tickets for the Sunday taping, at this point it feels like the LU producers are trolling me personally.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Grozz Nuy posted:

If I had been working my usual night shift today I would have been able to get tickets for the Sunday taping, at this point it feels like the LU producers are trolling me personally.

That sucks Grozz, I even tried to give an early heads up on here :smith:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

StarkRavingMad posted:

That sucks Grozz, I even tried to give an early heads up on here :smith:

Nah it's fine, I have a final the following week and I'm spending Friday and Saturday at PWG anyway so it's probably for the best. Shooting for the January tapings I guess!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
LU is apparently shooting a commercial for the City of Los Angeles this weekend as part of some "Discover LA" promotion and are going to have a match at the Temple, and are inviting people who have gone to shows before to come. Free food and posters along with watching the match. Easier to just call in the Believers than to pay for extras, I suppose. I'll probably go, what the hell.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

StarkRavingMad posted:

LU is apparently shooting a commercial for the City of Los Angeles this weekend as part of some "Discover LA" promotion and are going to have a match at the Temple, and are inviting people who have gone to shows before to come. Free food and posters along with watching the match. Easier to just call in the Believers than to pay for extras, I suppose. I'll probably go, what the hell.

It sounds like a good promotional idea. It's weird how LU is bizzarro TNA.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It sounds like a good promotional idea. It's weird how LU is bizzarro TNA.

its being promoted like a tv show, not a wrestling promotion. its a great idea

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

StarkRavingMad posted:

Is this open to the public or nah?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Dr. Baker posted:

Is this open to the public or nah?

I think maybe nah, since I haven't seen it announced anywhere other than by email? I suspect they just emailed people who had come to prior events. I bet they don't want to screw with having new people do NDAs/image releases etc just for one match.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just noticed that sometime in the past couple weeks they pulled down all the full matches from their official youtube channel, or made them private. Weekly highlights still there but not the match of the week. I wonder if this means a Season 1 DVD set or streaming announcement is pending?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Netflix or Amazon, please. Hulu can gently caress right off.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Heard from a friend late last night that he was looking up LU on Dailymotion and saw videos taken down via copyright claims... from WWE.

Pretty sure they were El Patron matches. I saw a screenshot and it looked legit, but I don't have a link. Though I 100% believe they're that petty.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sticklefifer posted:

Heard from a friend late last night that he was looking up LU on Dailymotion and saw videos taken down via copyright claims... from WWE.

Pretty sure they were El Patron matches. I saw a screenshot and it looked legit, but I don't have a link. Though I 100% believe they're that petty.

I could definitely see that happening, I guess. I don't think that is what is going on with LU's official YouTube though since the majority of the ones going down weren't El Patron. I don't think WWE would have a leg to stand on but then again the material is actually a copyright violation, just not owned by WWE, so who knows how that actually shakes out if someone challenged it.

In other news, there's apparently another option than Sling in the US: bizarrely enough, soccer-centric streaming service http://fubo.tv has El Rey for $7 a month. I believe this is US-only so it's not wider distribution, but if you didn't want to pay $20 for Sling, and don't care about the other channels Sling has (or want to watch ALL the soccers) this may be a good deal for you. I've never tried the service so I can't vouch for it, but I think it has a free trial.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

StarkRavingMad posted:

In other news, there's apparently another option than Sling in the US: bizarrely enough, soccer-centric streaming service http://fubo.tv has El Rey for $7 a month. I believe this is US-only so it's not wider distribution, but if you didn't want to pay $20 for Sling, and don't care about the other channels Sling has (or want to watch ALL the soccers) this may be a good deal for you. I've never tried the service so I can't vouch for it, but I think it has a free trial.

I was just coming here to post that. El Rey was pretty much the only channel I watched when I had Sling so $7 for it is a steal. Hopefully the apps aren't garbage and the stream is in HD.

- edit Worth mentioning that Fubo also works in Canada.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

sticklefifer posted:

They don't own the rights to any of that footage

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's very possible that it had "Alberto Del Rio" somewhere on the page and the WWE bots (or idiot lawyers) flagged it for deletion. I've had that happen before with radio audio.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Call Me Charlie posted:

I was just coming here to post that. El Rey was pretty much the only channel I watched when I had Sling so $7 for it is a steal. Hopefully the apps aren't garbage and the stream is in HD.

- edit Worth mentioning that Fubo also works in Canada.

I think only some of the channels work in Canada, and it doesn't include El Rey there, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

sportsgenius86 posted:

Obviously, but if WWE puts in a copyright claim on any video they want, I doubt Dailymotion's going to go to great lengths to dispute that, and nobody else will either. It's basically "Hey, heads up, this is pirated", which it is, but it also prevents fans from checking out the competition.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I didn't go to the commercial thing, but from some posts I've seen, it looks like they did Mundo/Puma for the exhibition match. Nice.

I got tickets for this weekend's tapings, should be hype!

I tried out fubo.tv, it works really well for El Rey. Only downside is that it appears you have to watch live, there's no "rewind to something in the past three days" like Sling. ((edit): huh, it does have a "record match" option for upcoming soccer matches though -- I wonder if there is any chance it'll have that for LU first showings?) Still, it seems even more stable than Sling, streaming wise. I may switch off of Sling, might as well save $13 a month. Plus I can watch a ton of foreign soccer that I don't understand at all.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 8, 2015

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Three days after the Rumble. It's either Wrestling Christmas or the ultimate palate cleanser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

That's fuckin cool. I'll plan to make a new thread for Season 2 like the week before.

Here's a Season One sizzle reel: https://youtu.be/2GAnIuBKuLo

Also, El Rey is apparently going to show five hours of Season 1 every Wednesday in January and then a 40 hour marathon of the whole first season the weekend before the Season 2 premiere.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 9, 2015

• Locked thread