Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
I'll do the reddit AMA thing recap:

I am Son of Havoc from LUCHA UNDERGROUND on El Rey Network. AMA!

Q: How was your relation with Ivelisse on tough enough and how has it changed now you're a team with her and Angelico?

A: My relationship with Ivelisse has been really interesting. We've both been around for quite some time and in a way, our careers parallel one another. We met on the indy circuit pre-Tough Enough and it was really exciting to have a friendly face on set of that show. We got pretty close over those days because its a somewhat traumatic experience and really forces people together. For one reason or another we've been overlooked in the past and are both just ecstatic to have such an awesome home in Lucha Underground. We're two people, passionate about professional wrestling, and it's pretty awesome to be living our dream out together....now if she'd just be a little quieter :)

Q: What is the most memorable moment in your career?

A: I'm very luck that my 14 years in professional wrestling have taken me all over the world. Touring Australia with Hulk Hogan was an extremely memorable 2 weeks, being on the Ultimate Warrior's last show ever in Barcelona, Spain..and wrestling in front of 16,000 people that night also jumps out at me. I've had 13 matches against Ultimo Dragon, rode a crappy little razor scooter down a parking garage with RVD in Ireland...pro Wrestling has been a wild ride and it's difficult to single out any one moment to define my time in it thus far. I've embraced the journey and can't wait to see what the future holds!

Q: What daily habits/routines do you have and how have they added to your success?

A: This is a great question because I'm often asked for advice by people wanting the "secret", or easy way, to success.
I feel that hard work can't be denied forever and you have to be disciplined, focused, and passionate.
I hit the gym at least 5 days a week. I don't post about it, I don't brag about it, I don't tweet about it, and I don't have my phone on me when I'm there. I'm there to do a job, and that job is kill myself for something I love. I can't tell you how many Friday night's I've spent alone at a gym repeating to myself after every single rep, "I'm a professional wrestler, I'm a professional wrestler, I'm a...." I'm reading my body for the abuse it takes (and dishes out) and aware that the higher your aspirations, the more aesthetics come into play.
I also eat 30 grams of quality protein, roughly 30 grams of complex carbs, and 10 grams of good fats every 2 and a half hours....no excuses.
This is my dream. I will make it happen.

Q: Who is your favourite wrestler of all time?

A: Dynamite Kid. So ahead of his time it's insane. I hope I bring even a touch of that intensity, style, out of the box thinking, and unorthodox maneuvers with me to the ring.

Q: Who at Lucha Underground would you like to have a match with that you haven't had one with yet?

A: That's easy, the champ, Prince Puma. When I started with Lucha Underground a lot of people thought I was a joke. I made opportunities when they weren't there, scratched, clawed, and let my passion for this business shine through. People can see through fake, and when they caught on that I was a guy leaving it all in the ring every single time, the support came in droves. I believe my rise to prominence in this first season of Lucha Underground has been unprecedented and a match against the champ would cement that memorable climb, and all the blood, sweat, and tears I've poured into this.

Q: Matt, you doing American Ninja Warrior again? Good to see you last year at the 15 year HS reunion.

A: I hope to compete again next year! I loved being the first professional wrestler to ever attempt the course and really took it upon myself to show that we're real, legitimate athletes. I'm proud of my performance and I know I can go even further...people haven't seen anything yet

Q: How long did it take you to grow that sweet, sweet beard?

A: I haven't touched a razor in 3 years:
Step 1: Throw away razor Step 2: Wait Step 3: Soak in the real ultimate power!!

Q: How the hell did you come up with "MDogg20?"

A: In high school, some friends and I got really into breakdancing. With my Gymnastics background, it seemed to come naturally to me. When I first started wrestling I called myself the 18th Amendment (Prohibition) because I was, and am, Straight Edge. My buddy decided to call himself "Josh Prohibition" and we were always feuding. I thought to myself, "so, we're presenting to the people, The 18th Amendment (Prohibition) vs. Josh Prohibition...nobody is gonna care! (or be able to relate for that matter!)". To make things more interesting, I decided to take my breakdancing skills/persona and apply it to my wrestling....I didn't however, think of a name, haha. The ring announcer, at my first show asked me, "what's your name"....I panicked, and said "MDogg20"...I guess 18 year old me thought it sounded cool. The best explanation every given to me was that I'm following in the footsteps of the 19 great MDogg's before me. Abraham Lincoln for example....MDogg3...little known fact.

Q: What do you enjoy doing on your down time? & what music do you enjoy?

A: Thanks! Ironically enough, those two questions are quite intertwined for me. I'm a punk rocker through and through and most of my free time is devoted to my passion for music. I love going to shows, picking up punk rock shirts, discovering new bands, having bands crash at my place, etc. I saw the Ramones and the Sex Pistols both in 1996 and never looked back. To me, professional wrestling is my punk rock, and it enables me to stick to my ideals and live the DIY lifestyle I've always wanted to live.

Q: Describe your short tenure at WWE with 5 words?

A: I've never been in WWE. (nailed it!)

Q: How was your experience working with Steve Austin and others on tough enough? Are you still in touch with them?

A: Steve Austin was, is, and most likely always will be a stand up guy. He cares deeply about this business and respects the grind. He reached out to me post Tough Enough (easily the biggest perk of being a part of the program) and has been extremely personable and helpful. He hand delivered my stuff to WWE when he obviously didn't need to and attached his name to me which is an insane honor. I'm grateful to still be in touch with him and hoping to get on his podcast sooner than later! Being on the phone with him is admittedly hilarious because if/when he says "what", you can't help but chuckle. It's awesome he's a fan of Lucha Underground too!

Q: What is your favorite match you were in so far in Lucha Underground?

A: Winning the Trios Titles Tournament was pretty incredible. They had to edit it out due to time constraints, but our celebration was literally 10 minutes long. Ten straight minutes of pure (and I must note mutual) appreciation from rabid fans. Professional wrestling, at its best is about creating moments, from the feedback I've received from that match, I think we created just such a moment. It was amazing to get messages from people around the world saying they'd been brought to tears over the match. It was the culmination of literally years of hard work, long drives, hospital stays, and hope.

Q: You've been wrestling a good while. How are you holding up?

A: Feeling good! Eating right, exercising regularly, I'm literally fired up with how well I feel right now. Lucha Underground has lit a fire of motivation under me and I'm excited to continue to press on forever onward and upward!

Q: How much ya bench?

A: 325...on a bad day

Q: Prior to LU did you have any experience with the lucha style? If not, how steep was the learning curve?

A: My first trip to Mexico City (specifically for professional wrestling) was in 2003 so I'm no stranger to the Lucha game. That said, it's an absolute honor to be working alongside living Lucha legends like Konnan, Alberto El Patron, Blue Demon Jr, and all the talented AAA men and women.

Q: Will we ever see Son of Havoc in a certain American Legion post in Reseda?

A: People forget that I was not only on their first show EVER, but also their first show at that particular building. I would LOVE to return, hit em up and lets make it happen!

Q: What music do you jam too whilst on the road?

A: Punk Rock in all its forms and glory. Drove a thousand miles this past weekend and was on a big Chris Farren kick. I also made time for Modern Life is War, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Against Me!, Amebix, and Disfear.

Q: What's the locker room like in Lucia underground, and is there any news of it coming to the UK? Thanks!

A: The Lucha Underground locker room is incredible. It's full of professionals who are keenly aware of the opportunity they've been given. If you're involved in professional wrestling, you're ultimately a fan (or at least should be), and as fans we've clamored for change for so very long. It feels amazing to be an integral part OF that change that I've wanted to see for years. Finally we have something fresh, something different, something genuinely new to call our own.

Q: Hi Havoc, big fan, I'm glad to see after a number of years on the circuit that you ended up at LU

A: I probably sound like a broken record but I'm thrilled to have the perfect home in Lucha Underground. It's both creatively, and professionally rewarding.

Q: I'm a wrestler in training myself, and my dream is to do a Shooting Star Press, but It's so scary. Can you explain the feeling before and after when you completed the shooting star press for the first time?

A: The Shooting Star Press is insane, your body is doing a backflip while traveling forward. It's counter-intuitive, unnatural, dangerous, and AWESOME. If I didn't have an 11 year background in high level competitive Gymnastics I wouldn't have ever even dreamed of it, haha.

Q: How were you pitched to sign on with Lucha Underground?

A: I got an exciting call from one of Mark Burnett's people explaining that I'd been put on a "dream list" of talent for a potential television show. Names like John Morrison were being considered so I knew it had legitimacy right from the start. They were interested in guys who had an understanding and respect for Lucha Libre. The show was pitched to me, and of course, sounded way too good to be true, haha. Fast forward a year and every promise I've been made has been kept and then some. Lucha Underground is far and away the best thing I've ever been a part of. The perfect showcase for what I bring to the table.

Q: Will there be a 2nd season of Lucha Underground?

A: All hands are on deck to ensure that the best hour in professional wrestling returns.

Q: Your beard vs Daniel Bryan's. Whose facial hair wins?

A: Though I respect all beards, and consider Daniel Bryan a friend, we ALL know the answer to that one now don't we??

Q: Who do you think are the most talented guys/gals?

A: We're in a crazy time in professional wrestling right now where there are just tons of talented men and women out there.

Q: Who are your best friends in wrestling?

My best friends in wrestling are Sami Zayn (we've spent time in Russia, Greece, Miami, Germany, and Hawaii together, awww), Adrian Neville (we've wrestled one another in England, off the coast of Africa, France, Spain, etc), and a guy named Ricochet...he's pretty awesome.

Q: What was going through your mind when Angelico dived off Dario Cueto's office?

A: True story...I was sorta beneath him so I just briefly caught this shadow fly overhead. At first I thought somebody threw a trash can and I was all, "WHOA! SWEET!! The atmosphere in the temple is soo good! They're rioting!!! YES!!". Then, I realized it wasn't a trash can and I had this moment where I thought somebody (ie a fan) jumped off the balcony (ie committed suicide) and I was all, ":(". THEN, I realized it was my crazy partner (who I've known since 2008) committing suicide,but in a good way....the best way, and then I just wanted to party.

Q: Your favourite opponent ever? Could you describe match with him?

A: I'm pretty honored to have had 13 matches against Ultimo Dragon. He's a true pro through and through and I loved earning his respect and friendship over time.

Q: How much input did you get with your Son of Havoc persona/costume etc?

A: My hat is off to the creative team at Lucha Underground. They have helped create an amazing atmosphere backstage. Creatively it's a very rewarding environment. The team is willing to take risks, and actually listen to their fans (crazy huh?!). I'm not only able to give feedback, but I'm encouraged to be an active part of the process. I think when professionals get together, and the leash is taken off, incredible things, like Lucha Underground, can happen.

Q: What has been your relationship with Angelico while teaming up? On the show you guys look like great friends, how true is that outside of the show?

A: BFF's <3

The next question was a question/comment/response between a few people but there is no Havoc that he's a son of outside of the conceptual idea of havoc.

Q: Is there kind of a corporate and familiar atmosphere in the LU locker room or do you all just arrive for the tapings and leave after them without much interaction?

A: Everyone arrives, laughs, jokes, prepares, pushes each another, kills it, congratulates one another, hangs out, goes out, then does it again with a smile.
It's cliche but we're all on the same team, and living the dream

Q: How long does it take you to get from "The Open Road" to Boyle Heights?

A: It took me 14 years.
Like Stone Cold Steve Austin told me, "it took me 10 years to be an overnight success". That drives me forward each and every day.

Yuriy fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

Thanks so much for copying over all the AMA stuff, Yuriy. Nothing too exciting yet, but cool to see him answering questions.

Yea, np

There's not a lot of stuff on LU, it's mostly about Matt Cross the guy it seems but informative

Seems like a cool dude

It's still going so I'm still editing stuff in

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Charles Gnarwin posted:

I say GDT style. We do that in the regular LU thread and I think everyone is experienced enough to know that if you click a thread before watching the show, you run a risk of spoilers.

Also, SRM, what were you wearing the day that you beat up Hernandez so that I can look out for you?

Yea just do it GDT style, I'm not by a TV so I'll be watching in wooo and live-shitposting at 10 EST

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Posting this one separately since it's what every one wants to know anyway

Q: Will there be a 2nd season of Lucha Underground?

A: All hands are on deck to ensure that the best hour in professional wrestling returns.

Another non-answer unfortunately =/

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Hollyyyyyyy poo poo the mack and cage match and the stunner spot

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Are you allowed to curb stomp black people on tv anymore cuz goddddamn that match loving owned

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

the crowd lost their loving poo poo, it's great

Yea man the crowd is loving awesome and that was one hell of an opening match

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Aww man son of havoc and angelico :( no belts after that bump

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

StarkRavingMad posted:

but Angelico got to kill himself, which is pretty much his goal 24/7

I was okay with them losing, Angelico and Son of Havoc probably deserve to do some singles poo poo at this point while the three clowns masked as the Disciples have nothing better

Yea but what other trios teams are there to challenge in season 2

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

oatgan posted:

need to make a season 2 first

Man you are a negative nancy

Benne posted:

Hernandez looked like he got a belt shot to the face, his forehead was pretty red after the first spot to the ring.

That match was amazing and the perfect way to send the fans home happy after the Trios Title went to Death.

Some other thoughts:

Cage/Mack was barely a match, but it didn't need to be. That was the perfect curtain-jerker and probably the best CZW match that CZW never booked.

Trios match was good. A bit underwhelming, but they did the best they could with Ivelisse still hobbled. Angelico's death spot didn't disappoint, and the story they told fit well.

Hernandez/Drago was pure old-school rasslin' with the marks at ringside beating up the heel and helping the face. I loved every second of it.

That would've been a great show any week, but it's only the undercard of Ultima Lucha. Next week will be loving insane.

I agree with all of this but how was Cage/Mack not a match, I mean it was a hardcore/garbage match or whatever you wanna call it but Mack got offense in and goddamn that stunner spot

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Benne posted:

Don't get me wrong. I say "barely a match" because they didn't even touch the ring, but the spot and weapon use was so loving good you don't even notice after a while. The story was perfect -- they were out for blood, and gently caress wrestling, we want to kill each other.

Eh, it was a Falls Count Anywhere match and the crowd interaction from them being all up in there really loving owned so I'm not bothered by the lack of in-ring stuff

loving loved that match though

Short, sweet and to the point

Pissing away Cage is the biggest gently caress up in recent WWE history imo

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Are there mats on the outside of the ring?

Are the benches just hard wood?

Because man, some of those bumps looked painful as gently caress

Also that fat guy in the red shirt got really into the whipping once he realized that Hernandez wasn't going to murder him for it

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

So now that Season 1 is almost over, I am reflecting on this poo poo and man, they got me interested in a bunch of guys

I knew Mack, Puma and Cage from other promotions so I'll pass on them but : Angelico, Jack Evans, Marty the Moth (is amazingly sleazy and I love him), Drago, King Cuerno, Pentagon Jr, Fenix, Aerostar and Texano Jr are all dudes I'd love to see again and more of

Mil Muertes though cool doesn't strike me as being a particularly cool dude outside of his LU gimmick so I dunno, I'd love to be proven wrong

Bengal, Pimpi and Sexy Star are also all cool as heck

Superfly is the only one that I can really think of that is just like complete "meh" tier in that I don't give a poo poo about him and he has done nothing to impress me

Though I saw a Pentagon Jr match at some like Mexican indy that I'd never heard of and he was grinding a broken beer bottle into a dude's forehead and that was kinda grody so I dunno what kind of poo poo he normally does

And mannn the vignettes with Dragon Azteca to close out the episode, I'd almost forgotten Dario's mutant brother and the ninja-lady storyline but those vignettes owned

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Yea, I've watched some of AAA and I dig the tag-team of Jack Evans and Angelico

Handsome flippy white guys is a cool gimmick and they seemed pretty loving over there

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I don't know why but Mil Muertes does nothing for me. Maybe because I know who he is and he used to be jacked and now he's just kinda puffy? I just have trouble buying him as a killing machine.

I realize I'm sounding Yuriy-esque right now but it is what it is.

Embrace it

The world would be a better place if every wrestler looked like Cage and Lesnar

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Exactly. This is a company containing Mexican voodoo zombies, a walking steroid golem, a Bengal tiger, a firebird who is the walking incarnation of the force of life, a literal motherfucking dragon, and also some chump who likes moths. In the basement, the guy who owns the company keeps an Asian chick locked up across from his brother, who literally chewed a dude's face off.

With all of that, why the gently caress wouldn't Vampiro be an actual vampire?

Besides, this is also broadcast on El Rey. They might just turn it into a crossover with From Dusk Til Dawn if LU season 2 ever gets made.

This is a beautiful post and summary of LU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

poo poo, gonna miss at least half of this, I can't believe this is the last episode :(

It's not?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Schiavello owns

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

I knew his voice sounded familiar from something but I wasn't sure.

He's real good at MMA commentary, not as good as at wrasslin unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Same, nxt just doesn't compare :(

• Locked thread